4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car shakes at idle.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Car shakes at idle.

When I first bought the car I could barely feel it at idle speeds, now whenever I'm at a stop light the car shakes a bit, as if it were an older V8 or something of the caliber, however, acceleration is still smooth, even though I get some "grit" on the gas pedal, as if it was shaking. I know that my top motor mount needs to be replaced and also the valve cover gasket since its making my engine bay look dirty. Could either of these be the cause of the shaky idle? Because the idle speed is normal.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 PM

check all the timing threads could be a few diff things:coils,injectors,timing chian...im dealing with the same thing...ibtl
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

valve cover gasket has nothing to do with your problem, the blown motor mount with give you a vibration that you'll feel. it might be shaking due to bad injectors, maf, plugs, coils, among other things.

any codes coming up?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM

No CEL, however I think the lightbulb might be blown since it doesn't come up during the start up of the car like its supposed to, I'll go to Autozone and see what they can come up with.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Have you done any sort of diagnostics? Checked the coils, changed the plugs (though that's a maintenance item, but you neglected to mention anything), tested the injectors, anything?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 PM

I'm having the same damn problem. I replaced coils, injectors, maf, o2 sensors, spark plugs look good. I was told it could be a vacuum leak but all my hoses look good. I think I read some where it could be the IACV which I'm planning of checking out this weekend.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you done any sort of diagnostics? Checked the coils, changed the plugs (though that's a maintenance item, but you neglected to mention anything), tested the injectors, anything?
I haven't checked out those things since I'm not exactly handy under the hood and I dont have many tools other than a screwdriver at home. I'll take it to my mechanic this week sometime to see whats up with it, but I figure the car needs a tune up, eh, oh well.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had a similar problem, couple weeks ago, later found out that it was one of my coil packs that went bad
Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 AM

Yeah sounds like a coil pack and im starting to get to the point where i should replace em

How many miles on the max?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 PM

94K on the car, with that mileage, does it sound like its time to replace them?

Last edited by 96WhiteMaxima; 08-05-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 AM

Coil packs, or my problem with this was a small vacuum hose I left off after installing the thermal spacers, double check all your hoses, doesn't take much for them to leak and cause vibration/bad idle. Cost under $10 at NAPA to replace most of them. With a '96 your most likely due.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM

I couldn't sleep and it's been a while since I've surfed here. My '98 is experiencing similar vibrations. I also have a bizzare code: 0509. I've checked many places and all I found was 'undefined' and 02 sensor. I replaced them but still get the code. I do most of the maintenance on my car but I don't remember replacing a coil pack. How would I know if it's time? Oh yea - 161k miles but sparkplugs, MAF cleaned, IACV cleaned. Now that I'm thinking of it, I do need to change my K&N air filter!!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by maxima_million
I couldn't sleep and it's been a while since I've surfed here. My '98 is experiencing similar vibrations. I also have a bizzare code: 0509. I've checked many places and all I found was 'undefined' and 02 sensor. I replaced them but still get the code. I do most of the maintenance on my car but I don't remember replacing a coil pack. How would I know if it's time? Oh yea - 161k miles but sparkplugs, MAF cleaned, IACV cleaned. Now that I'm thinking of it, I do need to change my K&N air filter!!
Undefined?
Code: P0154 | Description: O2 sensor fault

I don't know why the other POS is even still in the stickies, it doesn't have but half the codes.

How is 0509 a 'bizarre' code? So you replaced the B2S1 sensor, and the code still comes up? Did you clear the codes? If so, did you do any further diagnostics, like testing the harness?

You can test the coils, but unless you're noticing a misfire you're likely fine.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM

i had the same shake at idle. did a full tune up except for the coils they were still good except one but i can live with it for now. after tune up the shake was gone. but the engine idles at 750 and then after a few seconds drops to 500 and acts like it wants to shut down. but when i turn the A/C on it idles just fine. i do have some CEL P0150 P03225 P0110 and P0705 (o2 sensor b2,s1 knock sensor b1, intake air temp, trans range sensor input i can drive the car in L and 2 and it shifts with no problem strange huh) mechanics say its the KS so that is next if not fix the damaged coil.
(sorry for taking over just expressing same problems)
Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Dude i have the same problem right now and im taken it back in tomorrow to get the problem fix my pops friend told me that my motor mounts are done if you put your car in drive or on first gear and apply the e-brake open up your hood and look at your engine and see if your motor is shaking you will need to replace all four motor mounts and if thats the problem in your case what i would recommend you doing is changing your alternator and a/c belt one time thats what im doing. Hope this helps your problem.

Last edited by Ignorantkid; 08-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ignorantkid
Dude i have the same problem right now and im taken it back in tomorrow to get the problem fix my pops friend told me that my motor mounts are done if you put your car in drive or on first gear and apply the e-brake open up your hood and look at your engine and see if your motor is shaking you will need to replace all four motor mounts and if thats the problem in your case what i would recommend you doing is changing your alternator and a/c belt one time thats what im doing. Hope this helps your problem.
So why exactly would you replace the alternator and the belt if your motor mounts are bad? If that's why you're replacing them, then you're just wasting money.

Originally Posted by Nismo32
i had the same shake at idle. did a full tune up except for the coils they were still good except one but i can live with it for now. after tune up the shake was gone. but the engine idles at 750 and then after a few seconds drops to 500 and acts like it wants to shut down. but when i turn the A/C on it idles just fine. i do have some CEL P0150 P03225 P0110 and P0705 (o2 sensor b2,s1 knock sensor b1, intake air temp, trans range sensor input i can drive the car in L and 2 and it shifts with no problem strange huh) mechanics say its the KS so that is next if not fix the damaged coil.
(sorry for taking over just expressing same problems)
...the KS does not affect idle.

So you say you can 'live with' the known bad coil, then you complain about idle issues? That makes no sense at all. Replace the coil, go from there.

And P0705 isn't 'trans range sensor input', it's not receiving an output signal from the inhibitor switch.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
So why exactly would you replace the alternator and the belt if your motor mounts are bad? If that's why you're replacing them, then you're just wasting money.

...the KS does not affect idle.

So you say you can 'live with' the known bad coil, then you complain about idle issues? That makes no sense at all. Replace the coil, go from there.

And P0705 isn't 'trans range sensor input', it's not receiving an output signal from the inhibitor switch.
okay maybe i cant live with it lol. today i was on my way to work and at every stop light the cars idle would start to drop more and more and it started to drop to 500rpm and it kept acting like it would stall on me and just die i got to work and i hear a clicking noise(coil most likely) got off work started coming back home and it started to get worst. at every stop light when i would accelerate to go it would stall and then go. when i got home a few minutes ago i popped the hood and i saw smoke coming out too dark to see but it look like the back part of the engine. my engine wants to die Help..

doing the coil test tomorrow morning unplugging one by one and see if it really is that coil. 79 dollars for the rear coil is too much though.. and with my crappy job.

ps also when i first did my tune the second coil from the rear came apart the tip of it got stuck with the spark plug. when i took it out finally there was oil in that hole all the gaskets were new on the car though... need to check that also strange....

Last edited by Nismo32; 08-14-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM

good morning orgers!!!
okay so this morning i went outside and i checked the oil and it was good then i proceeded to take the coil packs out front row i take a look and the part number were wrong Left Front and Right Front were 22448-31U05 but the Center Front was 22448-31U15???? then i proceeded to the rear pack they were all 22448-31U00??? i thought the Front were suppose to be 22448-31U06 and rear 22448-31U01 or am i wrong???
then i went and turn the car on and there is a huge whistling noise coming from here HELP!!! it didnt do that noise yesterday all day. and its not from any hose. (picture credit to ATTappman hope u dont mind)
Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 PM

So I got my CEL codes read at AutoZone, P0505. Idle Air Control System iirc. I still gotta check the motormounts though because I do remember a tech telling me my top motor mount was shot, so, I gotta check those out.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 AM

I changed my belts because there were no good. Since the motor mounts were in bad condition I just did everything in one shot