4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1995 maxima very hard to start when cold and have 2 codes..p0400 and p0325?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 PM

1995 maxima very hard to start when cold and have 2 codes..p0400 and p0325?

Hey guys My 95 runs perfectly but its hard to start at first attempt in the morning(cold start) or if I let it sit for half of day. I have these 2 codes p0400(egr flow malfunction) and p0325(knock sensor). Could any of these contribute to the cold start problem? I am assuming I have to change the pesky little knock sensor due to the code...is there only 1 of these knock sensors? On the egr do I replace the egr or?? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by porshapower928
Hey guys My 95 runs perfectly but its hard to start at first attempt in the morning(cold start) or if I let it sit for half of day. I have these 2 codes p0400(egr flow malfunction) and p0325(knock sensor). Could any of these contribute to the cold start problem? I am assuming I have to change the pesky little knock sensor due to the code...is there only 1 of these knock sensors? On the egr do I replace the egr or?? Thanks in advance.
Knock Sensor
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Hello Thank You for the reply. Are you saying the knock sensor is causing the hard to start problem and throws the egr code on as well? Thanks again
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by porshapower928
Hello Thank You for the reply. Are you saying the knock sensor is causing the hard to start problem and throws the egr code on as well? Thanks again
Wrong Sensor

Last edited by ZaxWhite97Max; 02-15-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Although I dont hear any knocking(sounds perfect cranking) the knock sensor is detecting it?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by ZaxWhite97Max
In short it's falsly sensing knock which won't allow your car to start.
It could be something else though? But most likely that.
That's nonsense. You can take your knock sensor out and flush it, car will still start just fine. You have other issues. And it's not the EGR either. Flow issues usually mean there isn't any EGR flow. Does not affect starting.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Got Retrofit?

I have those same 2 codes. They've been there so long that I don't even care bout them anymore.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
That's nonsense. You can take your knock sensor out and flush it, car will still start just fine. You have other issues. And it's not the EGR either. Flow issues usually mean there isn't any EGR flow. Does not affect starting.
You are right, I'm sorry. I got that and a crank shaft senor changed at the same time, tend to get the two mixed up. not sure why or how though.

EGR will not do anything. a lot of people don't even run it.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Basically Im wasting my time changing or cleaning the knock sensor as it has nothing to do with starting up? How about the temperature sensor does it affect cold starts?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM

okay i would try looking at these things....since a hard starting could be anything..i would start at basic...three basic things needed for an engine to run: air fuel and spark....so i would check the easiest first...a really dirty airfilter could cause this....then work backwards....if not that i would check spark plugs, then backwards (coils..etc)....then injectors...follow it backwards..its a good technique...also i would suggest searching this forum...use keywords like "hard start cold" im sure ur not the only one...good luck...
Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 PM

YES coolant temp sensor could cause hard cold start. it can be checked with a multi meter and if needed, changed easily.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
YES coolant temp sensor could cause hard cold start. it can be checked with a multi meter and if needed, changed easily.
Its relatively cheap also!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

change both sensors when the knock sensor goes bad ur car runs like shyt my motor was knocking and stumbling and other stuff
Old 06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My '95 is hard to start cold. Starter spins fine, engine tries to catch up but will not. Had the temp sensor changed last winter (code for this showed up). Did not help the cold starting though.

This thread is a little convoluted, but I believe everyone is saying it could be the crankshaft sensor?

John

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Revenge is what separates us from the animals"

Al Bundy
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by amixam
My '95 is hard to start cold. Starter spins fine, engine tries to catch up but will not. Had the temp sensor changed last winter (code for this showed up). Did not help the cold starting though.

This thread is a little convoluted, but I believe everyone is saying it could be the crankshaft sensor?

John
Well...codes? Always something you need to mention when asking for help.

Did you do anything, have anything done, or did anything happen to the car immediately prior to this hard cold start happening?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Did you check your battery ? Starter ?

Might be coolant temp sensor "ECTS", I have one for sale if you need it.

I don't see any relation between your codes and the starting issue.

I would start by bringing the battery to Autozone or whatever to get it checked.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
Well...codes? Always something you need to mention when asking for help.

Did you do anything, have anything done, or did anything happen to the car immediately prior to this hard cold start happening?

The engine code light is not on. It was when I had the coolant sensor replaced. Could there be a code without the light being on?

Fuel filter has been replaced fairly recently. Just happened gradually. I wasn't asking for a diagnosis, just exploring the possibility of the problem being the crank sensor.

John
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
No more Maximas...

The engine code light is not on. It was when I had the coolant sensor replaced. Could there be a code without the light being on?

Fuel filter has been replaced fairly recently. Just happened gradually. I wasn't asking for a diagnosis, just exploring the possibility of the problem being the crank sensor.

John
Then sure, it's possible.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Then sure, it's possible.
I don't see how anything MORE than possibilities could be given here.

John

"Never fight an ugly person-they don't have anything to lose"

Charles Barkley
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright, guys, here's what fixed my hard to start cold '95 Maxima: ignition switch.

When the problem first started, my wife kept telling me I just didn't know how to start it. What she was doing was turning the key really hard, and it would fire right up. I read on another forum some guy's Maxima had the same problem and he found the switch was at fault.

Considering everything, I felt this had to be it. Bingo.

Just to pre-empt someone coming along and telling me that this was on "Maxima.org" somewhere, and I just didn't read enough, I don't have time to read every word posted here, or anywhere else for that matter.

And for whomever wrote "all 95's are OBD II", or something similar, it just ain't so. My '95 is not OBD II.

John

"say it ain't so, Joe"

Last edited by amixam; 07-10-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
No more Maximas...

And for whomever wrote "all 95's are OBD II", or something similar, it just ain't so. My '95 is not OBD II.
What brings you to this conclusion?

Also, production date?

Last edited by pmohr; 07-10-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Willing to learn

We old timers love when the newbies come on here and tell us what is what!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by oldngivout
We old timers love when the newbies come on here and tell us what is what!
"old timers"?? You might look at my join date first.

John
Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What brings you to this conclusion?
Three highly qualified technicians.

Also, production date?
Doesn't matter, it's a 1995. VIN code 'S'. The statement was "all 1995's are OBD II", or something to that effect. It didn't say "with some exceptions" or "except early models", or any other disclaimers. It said that all 1995 Maximas were OBD II.

I will get the production date as soon as possible. It probably is an early production.

Look guys, I came here looking for a solution to a problem. I asked a simple question-could it be the crank sensor? I saw no need to go into a detailed explanation when I had had all the logical things done or checked.

One question-was it possibly the...? and I get a bunch of static. I, despite this, once again posted with what turned out to be the solution to my problem, hoping that it might help someone else, and again-static.

"Old timers" who evidently are on a mountain somewhere...12,000 posts does not make one an expert, just a proficient typist. Not to say that they are NOT experts.

John

__________________________________________________ ___

“…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 AM
No more Maximas...

Doesn't matter, it's a 1995. VIN code 'S'. The statement was "all 1995's are OBD II", or something to that effect. It didn't say "with some exceptions" or "except early models", or any other disclaimers. It said that all 1995 Maximas were OBD II.
That's not how, that's who. As was in my sig, the DLC is not in the OBD-II mandated location, it's on the passenger side of the car by the ECU.

I do hope these three 'highly qualified technicians' weren't mistaking the CONSULT port for OBD-I or similar.

I never said 'with exceptions', I was asking for the production date out of curiosity. In any case, I can all but guarantee you that there is an OBD-II DLC in your vehicle.

Last edited by pmohr; 07-11-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I will get the production date as soon as possible. It probably is an early production.

Look guys, I came here looking for a solution to a problem. I asked a simple question-could it be the crank sensor? I saw no need to go into a detailed explanation when I had had all the logical things done or checked.

One question-was it possibly the...? and I get a bunch of static. I, despite this, once again posted with what turned out to be the solution to my problem, hoping that it might help someone else, and again-static.

"Old timers" who evidently are on a mountain somewhere...12,000 posts does not make one an expert, just a proficient typist. Not to say that they are NOT experts.

John

__________________________________________________ ___

“…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian
I hate how "highly trained technicians" are "always" right. I got my 95 last June and wanted to get OBDII reading and all these "highly trained technicians" told me the exact same thing they told you. Went home, looked up on org, found post by pmohr stating they were all OBDII, went to Idiotzone and got it checked...actually almost couldn't convince the idiots to come out to the parking lot cuz they kept insisting it was a 95 and it did not have OBDII. Not that it matters as stated above but my 95 is probably one of the earliest 4th gen if not the first batch made. I believe its 07/94
Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That darn P0325 Code is really annoying. There is only one Knock Sensor, located under the Intake Manifold. It is pretty hard to get to although manageable. Try some swivel extensions.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

On my 1999 Max SE the no flow code(po0400) turned out to be a blocked EGR tube on the back of the engine block going into the head. As to the hard to start I replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the Throttle body and the IACV ( Idle Air Control Valve). worked for me.

Gary

Last edited by bettsgt; 08-08-2009 at 12:06 PM.