Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Fog light rewire problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Fog light rewire problem

Well, today I decided to rewire my foglights so it'll work without my headlights. I went to radioshack and got some of this stuff http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104093
Then I opened up the relay box and started cutting the wires, but had no luck with it.

The cut up wire thats circled on the left is the foglight wire( I think) because when i disconnected the fogs turned off, and the one on the right is the brake light( I think) its the red and green one. Anyways i used the tap on and got nothing. Could anyone steer me into the right direction??
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by a33i30
Well, today I decided to rewire my foglights so it'll work without my headlights. I went to radioshack and got some of this stuff http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104093
Then I opened up the relay box and started cutting the wires, but had no luck with it.
[IMGhttp://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt76/gevorgwrc/DSCF0412-1.jpg[/IMG]
The cut up wire thats circled on the left is the foglight wire( I think) because when i disconnected the fogs turned off, and the one on the right is the brake light( I think) its the red and green one. Anyways i used the tap on and got nothing. Could anyone steer me into the right direction??
I couldnt figure out which wire was for the brake light so I just took another piece of wire and extended the fog wire down to the passenger side marker power wire. Works perfectly for me.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 AM

I am in the same boat. tried it this weekend with no luck...here are my pics, maybe they help???
The directions say cut the red & blue wire with silver dots, but there are 2 of them??? I tried the first one as you can see in the pic below, but it didn't work ( I triple checked it all) so before I cut the other wire I want to check so I don;t end up with three spliced wires under there etc...
can you confirm which wires I need to cut etc since mine were different too?

Here is the fog light wires to choose from to cut

and which one to tap into, I think I have this one right just mine are orange instead of red?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Remember guys, when working with wires, never rely only on wire colors.

In my case, none of the wire colors matched with what was stated in the write up done for the maxima.

When I get off work tomorrow I'll take some pics of what I did to help you guys out.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM

^ that would help alot, I think I'll use the sidemarker wire too.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM

I still would like to do the splice at the fuse box if possible, but I don't know which wires to use obviously. THanks for any help you can provide
Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 AM

Didnt get a chance to do it yet, My work schedule has been killing me. I'll try to get it done sometime today or tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Ok. I dont have pictures because my girl decided that she needed the camera but I went to check what I had done..

So from the fog light relay, the wire that needs to be cut is the pink wire with black stripe and silver dots. This is the wire that is closest to the front of the vehicle when the relay and box is in its mounted position.

Now for those that want to tap it into the brake light relay:

Tap the wire that is also closest to the front of the vehicle when the relay and box is in the mounted position. Just like the wire that you cut previously for the fog light. For my car, the wire was red with a blue stripe and silver dots.

(I just redid mine to the brake light relay so I can confirm that this works also)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM

I Edited an image from that innerbean site to give a better visual of what wires need to be used. http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html

The green dots indicate the position of the wires from the relay that need to be used to make this work. The red dots are the wires that you dont touch. In the picture the front of the vehicle is to the right and the firewall is to the left. If anyone needs a better illustration/visual, let me know and when I get the camera back i'll take my own pictures.

And always remember, when working with wires, dont rely on the colors only!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM

I will try to do this this weekend myself. in my pictures the wires would be the red & Blue wire with dots (The one I spliced into) that has the short arrow to it in the first pic (Fog Fuse) spliced to the Red and Blue wire ( Not the one I tapped into) in the second pic (Brake Relay)

Thanks Essential!!! I will let you know how this works. Also, any idea how I could translate this into my Q45 wiring???
Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 AM

No problem burgy.

One other note I forgot to mention:

If you wire it up to the sidemarker, you can only turn the fogs on if the parking lights are switched on first from the stalk. So whenever the parking lights go off, your fogs do to.

If you wire it to the brake light relay, you will have fully independant control of the fog lights from the fog light switch itself. This means even when the car is off. So just remember to switch your fog lights off when you shut the car off. It wont go off when you take the key out and/or open the door.

As far as the q45, it should be the same concept as the i30. Just finding the wire that supplies power to the relay,and splicing that into another constant 12v power source. I wouldnt be surprised if the wires were in the same position as the I30 though. When I go back to work tomorrow I can probably find out.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:34 AM

DAMMIT!!! I guess the 02 is slightly different? but I tapped the front pin to the front pin as shown above and nothin! My side markers wouldn't come on until I put the headlights on.....My relay/Fuse box looks the same etc so I don't know. I do know that I hate wiring though...
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Thats wierd. If I get a chance to I'll try to check out some stuff myself to see if I can figure it out.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks essential! I used the image you made and got it to work. Guys if your doing this just remember that the fogs always stay on, so you have to manually turn them off and on unlike before.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 PM

Hopefully this Fixes my problem!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanksss! Fixed my problem today.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM

so did anyone tried the rewire with the help of the shiftice.com site thats listed above in number 9?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM

^ Yes, thats what I did and it didn't work....I'm sure I just don't havbe the correct wires spliced since the colors are different...
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Just went downstairs and followed the instruction and works 100%(01 i30). Took less than 15 mins. I spent more messing with the fuse box than the wires lol. Thanks essentials for the pic!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM

ok i workewd on my car with my cousin today and used this website step by step and it literly took me like 7 minutes to work on it n it worked just fine
http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html
good luck
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AznTran517
Just went downstairs and followed the instruction and works 100%(01 i30). Took less than 15 mins. I spent more messing with the fuse box than the wires lol. Thanks essentials for the pic!
Your welcome

Originally Posted by -03MaxGLE-
ok i workewd on my car with my cousin today and used this website step by step and it literly took me like 7 minutes to work on it n it worked just fine
http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html
good luck
Yes, that write up is ok for the maxima, but the wire colors for the i35 are different from what is said in that write up.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by essential1
Yes, that write up is ok for the maxima, but the wire colors for the i35 are different from what is said in that write up.
Wire colors are the same, I followed those instructions too years ago. Remember mechanically our cars are exactly the same as Maximas, I30 = 5th, I35 = 5.5 gen
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
Wire colors are the same, I followed those instructions too years ago. Remember mechanically our cars are exactly the same as Maximas, I30 = 5th, I35 = 5.5 gen
I stand corrected then.

I know they are mechanically the same. But when doing my fog rewire, I noticed the colors stated in the write up were not the same as in my car. But then again, I have an A33a, the write up we are refering to was done on an A33b.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I35 cannot get fogs to work

I have a 02 I35 and I have been trying to rewire, still does not work. Does anyone know the exact wires for the I35. I tried what the shiftice way and the method with the two wires closest to the front of the car. I think I got the correct fog light wire just not getting the correct break light wire. I tried running to the park light. They fog lights blink and go out. I might add that I have HIDs now with a conversion kit.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 PM
大陆弟弟

Try it with halogen bulbs, again the instructions are EXACTLY the same!! Yours prob don't work because the factory wiring does not supply enough power for the HID kit, get a relay harness.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have never wired a relay, anyone can help?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Essentials is right

Who doesnt love to hear that... anyways Essentials was right...but you know whats crazy about all of that. The wire essentials says to go with is actually the %$@#ing blue one. Well at least for me it was the blue one with the grey stripes. I did this mod and it didnt work initially but when I read essentials and saw his pic diagram... What the hell whats one more splice set of wires under my box. IT worked... 2001 I30t. Blue wire for me like the max forum says for maxs anyways.. lotta work but it ended up working. Taking the box off that was the damn task. That is a whole write up by itself. anybody got any halogen headlights they want to swap for HID set. I know there is a forum.. but if you are in Cali... hit me up
Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 PM

have none of you people tried to use a multimeter to see which wire it is that gets power when the fogs are activated??? just reading off of a site and hacking your wiring harness?? smh.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The write up was right. It is the blue wire. Initially I connected it to the wrong end of the splice. I initially connected it to the car side instead of the side comming from the Fog relay. But yes, the blue on the fog relay and use the relay end of the wire and not the blue going to back down below the fuse box.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
have none of you people tried to use a multimeter to see which wire it is that gets power when the fogs are activated??? just reading off of a site and hacking your wiring harness?? smh.
If the write up was correct I wouldnt need a multi-meter. Sure we shouldnt fully rely on write ups, but, I relied on another write up add on by my dude Essentials <<Holla>> and it was right. I am good with wires, I am a professional installer so Im not concerned. Splicing doesnt hurt. Life is trial and error. Tell your Maxima boys to get it right.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:24 PM

lol and smh @ that one. if ur an installer then you should know to ALWAYS test your wires. dont wanna tell a customer that "oh life is trial and error" when you **** their car up doing an install would you. ur a joke i would never want you installing anything in my car. trial and error and splicing. hah.

Last edited by Goomz; 03-15-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I
Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
lol and smh @ that one. if ur an installer then you should know to ALWAYS test your wires. dont wanna tell a customer that "oh life is trial and error" when you **** their car up doing an install would you. ur a joke i would never want you installing anything in my car. trial and error and splicing. hah.
U n that 98 r the joke... I don't trial and error on my customers car... just mine. Its a project car. Something to play with. A lot of the stuff I have tried on my car via forums from this site have worked well with occasional minor tweaking. Not to mention the side jobs I get on i30/i35s because people know I can do the work after successfully testing on my own ride. Its okay to hate and I appreciate it. U always need some haters to keep u motivated. My work is professional. I'm not gonna plug my location or business, because that's not what this I here for. All I can tell u is that I do great clean work, and have not received a complaint in 3 years. Hate on my friend. Hate on.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM

u need to stop using the word hater and hate there, young'n. u kids are killin that word. try a grown up word like "dont take well to constructive criticism." owned. im ashamed "hate" motivates you, and i hope you can grow to do installs correctly and on your own motivation. oh and as for my 98, i CHOSE this chassis. fkin moron. goodbye.

Last edited by Goomz; 03-15-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Preciate the motivation. We can tell the men from boys in this room. I will leave it alone from here. Once again. There is a place for everything. It aint here. Sounds like this young'n has got under this old fools skin. I am the future. People like me are the future. Saying "have none of you people tried to use a multimeter..." is not constructive old man. If you dont think I am qualified to tell you that check my minor in communications. Bottom line, check yourself. If you dont like how we do our work on this forum... chose another. Everybody is helping everybody... but I can see how you could misunderstand that. Im sure methods like this weren't available in your era. Its understandable. Once again... Hate on my friend... Hate on.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
I Edited an image from that innerbean site to give a better visual of what wires need to be used. http://www.shiftice.com/fog_rewire.html

The green dots indicate the position of the wires from the relay that need to be used to make this work. The red dots are the wires that you dont touch. In the picture the front of the vehicle is to the right and the firewall is to the left. If anyone needs a better illustration/visual, let me know and when I get the camera back i'll take my own pictures.

And always remember, when working with wires, dont rely on the colors only!

This post is exactly whats needed.. I'll be jumping on this task later today.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 AM

I know this is an old thread but got a question, can we wire this up to another wire so it doesnt work with the park lights, cause if I do the remote start, it will blink the fogs also and with hid's in there that's a no no. So it can be turned on independently but also turn off when the car shuts off, maybe ignition wire, 04 I35
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM

For anyone that wants to know check this link, http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...xima-se-2.html it shows you how to wire it up to the ac relay so you can have your foglights on without the park light and also it will turn off when you turn off the ignition so you dont forget that you left it on. With the park lights it was ok, but there was times where I left the switch on and the next morning I would remote start and the foglights would blink on and off. Happened a few times and burnt out a bulb and ballast.