General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Oil Smells Like Exhaust

Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Oil Smells Like Exhaust

My oil smells like exhaust. Blown rings?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

only if your exhaust smells like oil..
Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 91_4DSC
My oil smells like exhaust. Blown rings?
What does your exhaust smell like?

If your exhaust smells like coolant, and your oil smells like your exhaust, you have a blown head gasket.

If your exhaust smells like oil and your oil smells like your exhaust, your engine probably needs a rebuild.

If your exhaust smells like gas and your oil smells like your exhaust, you probably have a leaky fuel injector.

If your exhaust smells like a$$ and your oil smells like your exhaust, your putting sh1tty gas in your tank.

So what does your oil really smell like?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM

And umm....... please do NOT stick your nose right in front like 3 inches from the exhaust, the fumes you breath in would kill you

But not right away, if you do want to kill yourself hook up a hose that is strong enough withstand the heat, not a vacuum hose, trust me And then breath in the fumes of DEATH like a oxygen mask .................... Just kidding don't.....................

P.S. I think a better way would be looking at the color of the exhaust, I don't remember, but I think blue exhaust is like coolant, black is oil... and ecetera.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
P.S. I think a better way would be looking at the color of the exhaust, I don't remember, but I think blue exhaust is like coolant, black is oil... and ecetera.
White == Coolant
Blue == Oil
Black == Rich

Generally.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Haha thanks Pmohr, you always seem to come in right when theres a question...... hmm.... but I think smelling your exhaust for a diagnosis is a bad idea, its bad for your health and you might need to do it multiple times in order to accurately know what you are smelling.

Just looking at the color will give you a straight up answer. And I think white exhaust is also from water but I believe its only a temporary thing that happens when you first start up in the morning
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Haha thanks Pmohr, you always seem to come in right when theres a question...... hmm.... but I think smelling your exhaust for a diagnosis is a bad idea, its bad for your health and you might need to do it multiple times in order to accurately know what you are smelling.

Just looking at the color will give you a straight up answer. And I think white exhaust is also from water but I believe its only a temporary thing that happens when you first start up in the morning
It can't be [i]that[/b] bad for you; I'm still alive...

I can't even begin to count how much of various automotive fluids I've ingested over the years, from eating without washing my hands or what have you.

I can also tell the difference between Dexcool, Toyota red, and Prestone by taste, as well as gear oil vs motor oil vs trans fluid

Between that and a few 'accidents' with 120VAC, I really should be dead by now. Multiple times over.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 AM

GASP! LOL, small amounts once in a while shouldn't be able to kill you, but coolant has a chemical in them that is highly toxic to people + animals

And thanks for your help about my starting problem, except now it seems like there is a series of issues, although my car starts now just fine... before I had the problem there weren't any check engine lights or anything odd lights going off and out of the blue my car wouldn't start, no clicking noise, no restart of the ACC lights when I turned the key.

Now when I start the car it sounds really weak, and I can feel my car getting weaker when I drive. Can the alternator be the cause of all these issues?

I am debating on the issues, I think its either the fuel system, the alterator, starter, or battery, or maybe the filter is clogged. For now I think I'll check the filter first, then when I take the car to the shop I'll mention all these things to the mechanic. But a jump start DID temporarily cure the problem.... so maybe its electrical.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 06-05-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

Buddy none of it's going to kill you. I have a friend who tasted engine oil...even though it has the skull & crossbones on it. Told him not to but he looked at it like it was beer or something.