6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Burning Oil Smell in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 08:25 AM

Burning Oil Smell in Cabin

I have an 05 Max, and recently got a burning smell and smoke billowing out of the passenger side of the front hood when stuck in traffic. When stuck in traffic without moving, it seems that thermostat shoots up and the car overheat. When pick up speed, the temp dives back to normal/middle on the dash. I think I have to address the radiator fan and either a coolant/power steering leak that causing the smoking. However, yesterday was extreme when I got the battery and brake light to start intermittently start flashing and the transmission started acting squirrely. Took her out to drive again this morning(16 mile drive) and she was fine until car got warm and battery/brake light flashed again. No visible smoke this time but a slight hint of the burning smell from yesterday. Could it be that the alternator is dying? Or is it possible that alternator wire shorted with all the heat. Gonna see a nearby mechanic soon, and just seeking some pointers so I know what to expect when seeing him

Thanks
Old 01-23-2024, 06:43 PM

You need to check where the oil is leaking from, without looking at it in person my best guess is your valve covers are potentially leaking and dripping oil on the exhaust manifolds causing it to burn off and make smoke/cabin smell. A dying alternator can cause brake/battery lights to come on and oil leaking onto the alternator can cause the alternator fail as well. For the cooling issue, if the system is full of coolant it sounds like the fans may not be coming on.

If you want to check for the oil leak yourself, grab a flashlight and try to see the highest point oil is leaking from
Old 01-24-2024, 03:17 PM

Appreciate the response "Chrome91". It seems to be the alternator failure. Was driving home and batt/brake lights popped up again and this time it stayed on. While at the stop light, I could no longer accelerate when the light turned green. Luckily, was only less than a mile away from home and someone gave me a boost and was able to maneuver the vehicle home w/o being able to accelerate