6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Steering Wheel Vibration Issue $1300 later

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steering Wheel Vibration Issue $1300 later

Hello everyone. Long time snoop, first time poster.

I've been having issues with my 2007 Nissan Maxima SL.

I used to drive a few miles to work. Since getting a new job that required miles of freeway driving each month, I noticed my steering wheel has been vibrating any time going over 50 MPH. On a smooth road going 60 MPH, I can feel it in the floor as well. This can come and go while going 70 MPH + on the freeway, more so when shifting from lane to lane, but happens about 50-60% of the time while driving straight.

I've taken it to three shops.

The first I took it to about 16 times. I was limited on where I could take my vehicle due to my work schedule. They did a normal tire balance 4 or 5 times. They did a road pressure balance. They replaced 2 tires first. Then the second 2. Then we replaced all 4 and returned the first 4. Then we fixed a ball joint. Then a tire pressure sensor wasn't working. This is a reputable, long term shop in the town I work in.

I now have Goodyear Assurance All-Season 205/75R15/SL Tire 97T tires, and the issue persists. I've taken it into the Nissan dealership now, and they are not finding issue with anything. The tires are balanced, breaks look good, rims are fine, no bearing issues or other suspension issues. They are the only Nissan dealership in town, and have a great reputation. They assured every other cause has been looked into. Today, they had their Nissan Master Tech review the vehicle and he believes the issue is being caused by the tires. Either I have a a bad tire or two, or the tire is just not good for my vehicle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your front axles
Old 10-21-2016, 08:03 PM

I'd had an issue like that when I'd had my '04 Maxima. Ended up being the bearing behind the steering wheel being too small. Used to vibrate at various intervals too.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They checked the bearings and said there were no issues....and the service manager said he read on a service forum that it could be the axles, even if they don't show wear. He said he would do it for $600, and if it doesn't solve the issue, he would put the old ones back in and give me $400 back.

I'm scared to lose out on another $200 just throwing parts at it.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 AM

To be honest, sounds like the guy is giving you a fair deal...he's taking a chance too here, but he can't do it for free. Problem is sometimes the only way to troubleshoot a problem is to replace parts until the problem goes away...such is life as a car get's much older.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
To be honest, sounds like the guy is giving you a fair deal...he's taking a chance too here, but he can't do it for free. Problem is sometimes the only way to troubleshoot a problem is to replace parts until the problem goes away...such is life as a car get's much older.
Thank you for your reply, as that's what I wanted to know. I'm not well versed in car mechanics, so I appreciate your time.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM

To be clear, I meant that his deal is fair because he'd back out on the repair if it didn't fix the problem. I don't know the going rate for this repair, or the parts involved, so for that you may want to at least call a dealership, get a quote. That way you know if he's overcharging
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 PM

This is actually a somewhat common problem with the 6th gens. Many people believe it is a loose steering rack bolt and suggest a quarter to half a turn to tighten things up. You can try this, but it is almost impossible to get any kind of play or purchase on it. They put it in a horrible location to be adjusted. Others say it is a balancing issue. Some have found luck with getting their tires road force balanced.

There have been others on here that have spent over 3-4 grand trying to get this fixed and still had no luck. Nissan dealerships are just as clueless as to what causes the problem themselves.

I had a really bad vibration at speeds between 65-75mph. I kinda just dealt with it until one day after I got some new tires I noticed the vibration went away. It's been about 3 years with no issues. I am about 70% through my current tires and I have a little vibration coming back. I have a feeling it has much to do with the tires and balancing.

The general consensus with this issue is that the the steering and suspension on our cars is built in a way that amplifies the vibration if the tires are not perfectly balanced. Most cars, you can just throw it on a balancing machine and eyeball where the weight needs to go. With the maxima you gotta be dead on, as perfect as you can get it. Again the kind of tires you go with also make a difference. It is very possible you have an actual problem that needs to be fixed, but more likely, you have the same issue that has plagued many other max owners.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:09 AM

Here is my experience so far with my 05 altima. Had the shimmy from about 50 to 60mph. Tried balancing over and over again at 2 different places. Then switched tires to my maxima and from my max to it to confirm it wasn't the tires. Had a bad ball joint on the passenger side. Replaced control arms so now its smooth up until about 70mph and the shimmy returns. I have 2 new axles I am going to install next week sometime. I will let you know how long it takes and the results.

Last edited by timbarry; 10-29-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by timbarry
Here is my experience so far with my 05 altima. Had the shimmy from about 50 to 60mph. Tried balancing over and over again at 2 different places. Then switched tires to my maxima and from my max to it to confirm it wasn't the tires. Had a bad ball joint on the passenger side. Replaced control arms so now its smooth up until about 70mph and the shimmy returns. I have 2 new axles I am going to install next week sometime. I will let you know how long it takes and the results.
This is the same process another guy i knew went through. It didn't work.
Did you get the tired road force balanced? What kind of tires are you running?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
This is the same process another guy i knew went through. It didn't work.
Did you get the tired road force balanced? What kind of tires are you running?
Non road force balanced. Well the shimmy is still there but it isn't as harsh now its very slight and still at around 70mph. I did the driver side, took a drive then did the passenger side and I want to say after the passenger side it smoothed it out some. The only thing I have not replaced is the tie rods but they look okay. I will probably do that near when I plan to do another alignment. I am just going to live with it as it is now. The tires I have are goodyear eagle sport all season and they are practically brand new. I am going to rotate them on Thursday and see what happens. I know I have a bent rim somewhere I am just not sure which one it is but I am almost sure it is on the back already. Hope this helps you out. Thanks
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Banned

I had this issue for YEARS...I honestely dont think there is an answer or fix, its a flaw in the engineering of some part of the steering rack. You are one of many, including myself, who has experienced this issue. Its like the ABS problem, its not about if its about when it happens and becomes reoccuring.