6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th gen experts, need serious advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:35 AM

6th gen experts, need serious advice on purchase

Hello to all in the 6th gen family!

I don't usually post in this part of the forums, but I really need your guys help/opinions and will REALLY greatly appreciate any and all suggestions...

I'm in the business of finding certain good deals on cars, and reselling them. That being said, found a 2006 6MT right around the corner from my house...

Link so all of you can check it out for yourself, a free carfax report is available there, too:
2006 Maxima SE $3,499

Details on car as follows:
-2006 Maxima SE, 6MT
-78k miles and 2 previous owners
-Car was in accident and had minor damage in rear, needs new rear passenger side window. Besides that, body and interior look to be in great shape. Same for brakes, and no rust that can be seen anywhere..
-Car is listed as "mechanic special" and doesn't pass emissions, they list these faults -- catalytic converter bank 1, cam sensor bank 2, and airbag sensor unit.
-Base SE model with sunroof and CD changer as the only option.
-Audi dealer wants $3500 for it, I can buy it for under 3k today.

Question is, what do you guys think about this one?

If this is something I can fix for not much money, and resell, this can be a heck of a steal me thinks..And the problems they list don't seem too bad, cam sensor and gutted pre-cat basically far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to all of you in advance for any and all of your expert opinions!

Last edited by D.Stillwell; 11-11-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 AM

I would say get it. The sensors could be causing the cats to read incorrectly as well. I would buy it. The MT is hard to find so worth the money. This is the very last model year they made with the MT for the Maxima so far. Good find. Parts are going to run at least $600. If you are replacing the sensors, do both and don't go cheap and buy an off brand. Spend the extra cash and get the OEM Nissan sensors. Test them before you put them in just in case you buy bad ones to start. I have seen this on the forums before. You can have Nissan do it for you before you leave. They should do it for free considering you are buying a new part from them. The window might cost a bit of change. I would look at junk yards to get the window and replace yourself. Could be a whole lot cheaper that way. As far as cats, you have the right idea unless you are trying to pass emissions. Gutting the cats will definitely make you fail emissions. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:56 AM

^ Thanks, good info..

I would def do both cam sensors, nissan oem. Then see if that gets rid of the bank1 cat issue.

If not, I guess either replacement cat (any good info on those?)..or I could gut cat if I sell it in West VA there is no emissions laws.

The window will probably be easier than I thought, few junk yards here have plenty of em and I can put it in myself like u said.

Besides that, any info on the airbag sensor? Whats the deal with all that and what would it affect?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Honestly, that could be just a computer reset if the sensor was replaced. If not, you will need to get a sensor and reset the computer. Some scanner tools do this, and if I remember correctly there is a procedure to do it yourself. As for the Cats, they are expensive if you buy them. I would go with Cattman myself, but there are a couple other options out there as well. Might also be a junk yard thing if you are just looking to get it fixed and sold.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:02 PM

^ Gotcha.

Thanks dude

Yeah, pretty much looking to sell.
Believe me, every time I run into one of these cars with a 6MT it makes me really think bout keeping it instead of selling, and getting rid of my 5th gen..

..but I realized there's no way. I love that 5th gen too much, and too much invested in it at this point -- not just money wise but my own hard work.