6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th gen question, why all the problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM

6th gen question, why all the problems?

Guys I'm curious to know what happened with Nissan that caused the 6th generation Maxima to be plagued with so many problems. The generations before seem to be good and the 7th so far. There's a young kid in the forum who just bought one who's having a ton of problems with his is what prompted me to write this post.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM

the 6th gens were the first to be made in the USA
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM

This VQ35 it worked out good in the 2002-2003 Maxima and the Altima but somehow or another I think it's too small a match for our 6th gens. That's why I think the transmissions go out so much too the car seems to be too big for this engine correct me if i'm wrong This car needs a bigger engine with a different transmission setup. Nissan made the car so big but retaining that VQ35 from the 5th gen seemed to be the culprit for the problem.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
This VQ35 it worked out good in the 2002-2003 Maxima and the Altima but somehow or another I think it's too small a match for our 6th gens. That's why I think the transmissions go out so much too the car seems to be too big for this engine correct me if i'm wrong This car needs a bigger engine with a different transmission setup. Nissan made the car so big but retaining that VQ35 from the 5th gen seemed to be the culprit for the problem.
Don't think the engine has anything to do with it. The 6.5gens have the same engine with reduced hp in fact. Again, The VQ35 is to be found on the Infiniti M35, Murano, and some other Nissan SUvs.---all of them as heavy as the 6th gen. The problem of the 6th gen is simply its badly designed VB.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Little things make a big difference like going to Target and buying fuel system cleaner for like 2.99. People say they dont work but I notice differences in performance and MPG mine is real good on gas. Also I have 22 inch wheels I air them up at 43PSI once a week. When I put the rims on it changed the entire car I seem to be having less issues all around. With the stock wheels I was always going thru tires like crazy but ive had these on 3 yrs and haven't had any problems.

ALSO GUYS I STOPPED GOING TO THE NISSAN DEALERS FOR SERVICE AND HAVENT HAD AS MANY PROBLEMS AS I USED TO. I GO TO A PERSONAL MECHANIC AND THINGS CHANGED!

Not to say mine is perfect or the best but I do hope I dont have any more problems in the near future.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM

TC-W3 > store bought fuel system cleaner...cheaper too
Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM

That stuff works good too I've been babying this car since the day it hit my garage i'm thinking about doing a cold air intake but I dont know what affect that will have on the AT in the longrun and I hear they're noisy I like my quiet ride through the city.
Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  20.4 KB
White one is mine the silver one is my brothers.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Little things make a big difference like going to Target and buying fuel system cleaner for like 2.99. People say they dont work but I notice differences in performance and MPG mine is real good on gas. Also I have 22 inch wheels I air them up at 43PSI once a week. When I put the rims on it changed the entire car I seem to be having less issues all around. With the stock wheels I was always going thru tires like crazy but ive had these on 3 yrs and haven't had any problems.

ALSO GUYS I STOPPED GOING TO THE NISSAN DEALERS FOR SERVICE AND HAVENT HAD AS MANY PROBLEMS AS I USED TO. I GO TO A PERSONAL MECHANIC AND THINGS CHANGED!

Not to say mine is perfect or the best but I do hope I dont have any more problems in the near future.
Yeah. Why is it that the stock tires wear out fast. I just replaced the rear tires today. Is it the alignment? Or it's just the car in general?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 PM

You probably had the bad shimmy too I did until I got the 22s and it went away forever. I think it boils down to the tires because my brother his 06 SE he's been thru 3 sets of tires in 4 years and then his wheel bearing went bad. I think the stock 17s tires for the SL are too small the SE the 18s are better but I hear they wear out quickly in general. When I put the 22s on I got a way different ride it's more composed with the stock wheels it was ponderous now its (Lexus like) a more straightline slick smooth feel as before it was boaty and clumbsy and the handling is way better. Overall everything changed with the bigger wheels my tires are still good almost being 3 yrs old.Name:  179699_140597826131992_1408077427_n1_zps9c04f019.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  30.7 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 PM

You probably had the bad shimmy too I did until I got the 22s and it went away forever. I think it boils down to the tires because my brother his 06 SE he's been thru 3 sets of tires in 4 years and then his wheel bearing went bad. I think the stock 17s tires for the SL are too small the SE the 18s are better but I hear they wear out quickly in general. When I put the 22s on I got a way different ride it's more composed with the stock wheels it was ponderous now its (Lexus like) a more straightline slick smooth feel as before it was boaty and clumbsy and the handling is way better. Overall everything changed with the bigger wheels my tires are still good almost being 3 yrs old.
That's what I was thinking. If we bought new rims, there wouldnt be any major problems with the tires.

There was a roaring noise when we bought the car and I thought it was just the tires. When we changed the tires, the roaring noise is still there. Im thinking I need to change my wheel bearings.

And hopefully I could save up for some rims so I wont have to deal with the tires anymore!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM

Is that noise coming from the rear? and do you hear it when you go into reverse? that's definetly your bearing. What color is your Max post a pic when you reply so I can see I'll be able to tell you how it will look with a 22 on it. The bigger wheels definetly give it a more balanced ride and handling my gas mileage is a whole lot better for some reason too. Now It's really good on gas man I keep mine at 43 PSI that's where I found the perfect balance to be if I do below that or above it then I get bad MPG.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Is that noise coming from the rear? and do you hear it when you go into reverse? that's definetly your bearing. What color is your Max post a pic when you reply so I can see I'll be able to tell you how it will look with a 22 on it. The bigger wheels definetly give it a more balanced ride and handling my gas mileage is a whole lot better for some reason too. Now It's really good on gas man I keep mine at 43 PSI that's where I found the perfect balance to be if I do below that or above it then I get bad MPG.
Yup. The noise is coming from the rear. And when I back up, it makes a screeching sound. Im thinking of something smaller, probably 19s. Im trying to hunt for the "stanced" look.
Here is a pic. Everything is bone stock.

Last edited by Aubade; 07-11-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Your ride is nice I wanted a SE pearl with a NAV but I couldn't find one so I got it in the SL. A 19 may give you a little improvement over your stock 18 but I don't think it will give you that balance you're looking for in ride and handling as a 22 would. My brother has a 20 on his SE it's definetly improved from the stock 18 but it doesn't have that sophisticated Lexus Glide that mine has on the 22. I would go with a 22 inch wheel so you can get that premium feel on the road.

Name:  100_4650.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  100_4247-1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 AM

Your ride is nice I wanted a SE pearl with a NAV but I couldn't find one so I got it in the SL. A 19 may give you a little improvement over your stock 18 but I don't think it will give you that balance you're looking for in ride and handling as a 22 would. My brother has a 20 on his SE it's definetly improved from the stock 18 but it doesn't have that sophisticated Lexus Glide that mine has on the 22. I would go with a 22 inch wheel so you can get that premium feel on the road.
Thanks. Maximas always catch my eye when Im out on the road. Im glad I got one, but Im still worried about all the problems that might occur in the future, but I'll take those 22s or probably a 20 into consideration.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 AM

We got the best one its almost a Lexus dude, you don't have anything to worry about these cars are solid they just have to be maintained. Take this for example change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Go to Wal Mart and get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner I do it and mine runs real good. Compare your Maxima to a 2002 Explorer look at the difference you got it made!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/ First Read This
Then read this
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Maxima/2006/

hahahahah I cant wait until you read this one boy you've really got it made!
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Camry/2007/

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-11-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 AM

We got the best one its almost a Lexus dude, you don't have anything to worry about these cars are solid they just have to be maintained. Take this for example change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Go to Wal Mart and get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner I do it and mine runs real good. Compare your Maxima to a 2002 Explorer look at the difference you got it made!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/ First Read This
Then read this
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Maxima/2006/

hahahahah I cant wait until you read this one boy you've really got it made!
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Camry/2007/
I got a 04 so it's this one. "Worst Complaints jerks when shifting"
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Maxima/

Damn, idk!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 AM

You'll be fine as long as you keep it maintained If you haven't had alot of problems with it by now then your good to go. If you have never had the transmission fluid changed that's definetly a first step. How many miles do you have worst case scenario I wouldn't ever tell you to get rid of your car but if it comes to that switch it for an 07 or 08 Max they have a CVT transmission. Alsthey have a new designed interior and exterior. 07/08 was the last year of this bodystyle but they are way more reliable

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-11-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 AM

You'll be fine as long as you keep it maintained If you haven't had alot of problems with it by now then your good to go. If you have never had the transmission fluid changed that's definetly a first step. How many miles do you have worst case scenario I wouldn't ever tell you to get rid of your car but if it comes to that switch it for an 07 or 08 Max they have a CVT transmission. Alsthey have a new designed interior and exterior. 07/08 was the last year of this bodystyle but they are way more reliable.
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. The reason I'm worried is becuase I'm still young and still looking for a job and I dont want my parents paying for all the problems that occur.
The transmission fluid is clean, I checked it yesterday. And it has about 79,xxx miles on it.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM

2006 se

I upgraded my 95 to a 06 last week. I was sad when i washed the car and noticed water on the passenger side front and rear carpets. I searched the forums and found out about the sunroof drain lines that clog up. I ran weed wacker line 0.85 diameter down the tubes and then poured water into the unplugged lines and water spilled out under the vehicle. I hope i solved the leaking and infiltration. I should have poured water into the drains before i unclogged them to verify they were the problem. My carpet stinks Another problem i may have is that above the rear window above the the trunk lid on the very top outside of the vehicle it appears the top weather stripping is missing.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM

oh god now I gotta worry about my 6th gen Maxima becoming a live in sewage water treatment center!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Thank you for this thread now I can vent about the vents. (no pun intended).
Anyone else have a problem trying to put the dang vents back on properly? When I first got my 6th gen I was happy. But then I started doing minor upgrades and noticed this was poorly constructed. Anyway, I went to change my cd player to an aftermarket one and the vents are such a pain to get aligned. If its not aligned correctly the trim will not fit, the dial to open and close will get pushed in or you can hear a whisper for air leaking. I already broke the top part on the trim near the vent and main screen. Oh and don't forget if the vent spring gets misaligned god help you.
Oh and if the right vent gets a lil pushed or needs to be fixed I still haven't figured a way to take it off.
ahhhhhhh
Old 07-27-2013, 04:32 PM

Leaky Sunroof

Well today after several days of being scared to wash my car again i finally broke down and washed the maxima hoping there would be no more water leaking into the car. I did not see any water come into the car. I pulled up the carpet on the passenger side front/back before i started so i could see if any water leaked in and from where. I feel relieved that cleaning the drain tubes in the sunroof helped to stop the leaking. Hopefully the water will stay out.