6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Is it worth to buy '04 maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it worth to buy '04 maxima?

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I was looking to buy a car and '04 maxima caught my eye. I was pretty excited to see the value for money you get with this car. But after doing some online research I came to know that there have been a lot of issues esp. with the transmission. Now my budget is pretty low, around $7k. So, if anything breaks down like the transmission that would cost a few thousand dollars more that I would not be able to afford.

Is the '04 model really THAT unreliable?

I realize that its my decision in the end but I have my heart set on this car. Do you think it would be a wise decision to go for it? or get an accord or camry instead (which I really dont want because they are boring).

I am finding deals around $6500 to $7000 and with less than 150k km on it.....

Please help me decide.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 AM

150K miles on an o4 maxima is risky if you do buy it please check the maintenance history oil changes tranny flush and so on as you my know these cars have issues with the timing chain guides and tranny failing just read through the forum although there people o here that haven't had any of these issue

good
luck
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned

Never had the tranny issue but watch out for the ABS problem, that could cost you over a grand easy, and its a flaw so they all will have it at some point. Not a reliable car, id stay away from a high mileage 04, this coming from an owner of 9 years from new.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies guys!

I should make this clear though, I am looking for a maxima around 150 km not miles.

Its a really hard decision to make. Other options that I have in the same price range do not even come close to maxima in any way (except may be reliability)

Still thinking.......
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM

04 max

I have a 04 max and the only proble I had was the timing chain, other that that nothing im am getting ready to do my clutch. All cars have problems just make the right decision. Good Luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM

I purchased an 04 with 138K miles back in Oct of 2012. As of now I have put over 8k miles on it and I have done some maintenance (Oil,tranny fluid, anti freeze, rear hubs, cv axle and cleaned out my IVT Solenoids) but nothing major. The car runs strong. I purchased this Max to commute to work and I purchased it for 5600. Just my story......

It came with headrest monitors, sunroof, Heated leather seats and steering wheel..

Last edited by Doola36; 04-14-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by infammo
Hello All,

This is my first post here. I was looking to buy a car and '04 maxima caught my eye. I was pretty excited to see the value for money you get with this car. But after doing some online research I came to know that there have been a lot of issues esp. with the transmission. Now my budget is pretty low, around $7k. So, if anything breaks down like the transmission that would cost a few thousand dollars more that I would not be able to afford.

Is the '04 model really THAT unreliable?

I realize that its my decision in the end but I have my heart set on this car. Do you think it would be a wise decision to go for it? or get an accord or camry instead (which I really dont want because they are boring).

I am finding deals around $6500 to $7000 and with less than 150k km on it.....

Please help me decide.

Thanks
Not sure if you can drive manuals but the 04 6spd has the least issues of them all. The transmission is bulletproof and you really gotta be doing some BS to mess it up and the timing chains on all these VQ's start giving trouble over a 100K and even earlier if the oil level isn't maintained and kept topped up. My advice is to look for a 6spd M/T for a little cheaper, do the tensioners and guides, the chains are optional because they are lifetime and won't break. I mean you're talking about a car that is about 9yrs so it's about that time to start repairing, changing and upgrading parts.

Overall the 6thgen 6spd is a fun car to drive but you have to put into consideration that the previous owner probably neglected the car so you might find a lot of unexpected problems, but it won't be the tranny for sure. Good luck man
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM

if you want 04 maxima get 6 speed if not dont get a maxima and get a honda accord ex-l (more reliable) if you are looking for a sporty quick sedan maximas are a decent choice but beside that its the only thing i like about my 03 6 speed
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

If you get a 4speed (and they come in some 04 SL only), you shouldn't worry about transmission issues.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Not sure if you can drive manuals but the 04 6spd has the least issues of them all. The transmission is bulletproof and you really gotta be doing some BS to mess it up and the timing chains on all these VQ's start giving trouble over a 100K and even earlier if the oil level isn't maintained and kept topped up. My advice is to look for a 6spd M/T for a little cheaper, do the tensioners and guides, the chains are optional because they are lifetime and won't break. I mean you're talking about a car that is about 9yrs so it's about that time to start repairing, changing and upgrading parts.

Overall the 6thgen 6spd is a fun car to drive but you have to put into consideration that the previous owner probably neglected the car so you might find a lot of unexpected problems, but it won't be the tranny for sure. Good luck man
While I agree with you, I have to say you must up keep the car and make sure all services are done at the right intervals....
Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the great help folks!

I did manage to find one which I will be going out to check shortly. Could you please let me know what are the most critical things I need to check...... Sorry I am a complete noob to this
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If its the 4 speed auto, don't worry about it as its a solid transmission.

If it has the 5 speed automatic, make sure it has been replaced with a reman or at least has already rebuilt.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

I dont buy into the transmission problem, I put 130,000 miles on the 5 speed and it never missed a beat, its not always an issue.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 05 max and it had trans problems 2 days later! PLEASE MAKE SURE U REALLY CHECK OUT THE TRANS! There are many people who have had the same problem as me and the only solid solution has been replacing the tranny rebuilt or new.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM

I have a 04 max with 180 000km, bought it 5 years ago at 55 000km, no major issues.
Leaking rad (replaced under warranty), one broken ball joint, brakes, shocks....
Started having transmission issues a few years ago, but I did 4x trans fluid change, and I now do one every year, didn't have a single transmission issue since.
For me, no major issues for now. I do synthetic oil changes every 8000km now (used to do 6000 when under warranty) KM, not miles.

Certainly worth it if you can get a car that was maintained properly. Drive it around, see if the transmision is rough or jerks. (tried one that had an issue before I bought my car, you could not not notice it, it was horrible).
See if the engine makes a grinding metal noise.

If not, it's certainly worth it because I would never sell my max for 7000$, I couldn't buy anything equivalent for that money.

Last edited by Kryogen; 04-29-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by infammo
Thanks for all the great help folks!

I did manage to find one which I will be going out to check shortly. Could you please let me know what are the most critical things I need to check...... Sorry I am a complete noob to this
I had just bought a 2004 SE, 90K miles. Tire problems only $250 each, then oxygen sensors again 2 of the 2 months apart $250 each. Then check engine with bad miss , cylinder issue , new coil and plugs 2 times, a week apart differant cylinders $350 each. I hate to say it , but it has great power and I love it but it is a money pit. Also radio broken too only left speakers work, ordered rebuilt for $160
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM

I would look for the 4spd if your that concerned... I would just carfax a bunch of the ones (5spd auto) i'm interested and take the one with the best history/best condition/lowest mileage...

guy above me got ripped off for o2 sensors lol and you can get coils for free at the junk yard :-P
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM

It helps to have a beater car so when the max breaks you dont get too stressed. Its a nice car but needs lot of tlc. Keep up with maintenance and drive it like an old lady most of the time and i'm sure it will be good to you for many years.

It helps to think of how much it would cost to get a new or used car instead of fixing your car. The cost of a used car is usually more expensive than to repair your car (and thats a ****ty used car with problems of its own)
Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Things to check before buying

Originally Posted by Sayrenap
I had just bought a 2004 SE, 90K miles. Tire problems only $250 each, then oxygen sensors again 2 of the 2 months apart $250 each. Then check engine with bad miss , cylinder issue , new coil and plugs 2 times, a week apart differant cylinders $350 each. I hate to say it , but it has great power and I love it but it is a money pit. Also radio broken too only left speakers work, ordered rebuilt for $160
When you check tire for mileage left, there are little squares in between treads. If not much left it measures at the little box. I thought they had life but were rated 0 at tire shop. In general little dings and scratches signal misuse or lack of maintainence. check radio for balance then fade, also disc player is known problem. Check for leaks underneath. Most important bring to mechanic to rate brake pads for life, smell tranny fluid. I have a 3 speed automatic and so far tranny has been fine, the car is an animal
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok,

Here's the thing man, the Maxima, and especially the 3.5L V6 is a super sold motor, the car is solid also. (If it's cared for the right way)
I've seen Ford Torus's, Kia's, Hyundai's, Suzuki's, Contours, regales, Pontiac's outlast Honda's, Nissan, Toyota's, BMW's Audi's VW's, Mitsubishi's etc.

Yes, I honestly do believe the Jap products were made and engineered better; with that said, I feel it comes down to how well your car is cared for. Yes, some cars are more prone to certain issues because of design and/or materials used. How many people do you know get the scheduled/recommended services performed on their vehicles? Almost always, people don't.

I have a 2006 SE 5 speed auto w/ triptronic - the car runs perfectly with 93k on it. I get complemented often on how nice it looks, how well it runs, and how nice it sounds. You can take any car, and mess it up bad, long term, if it's not properly cared for. I've seen New Accords need big repairs because people are idiots. Just care for the car, and it will run a long time.
I'm a snob when it comes to certain oils, and fuel - I will never put Pennzoil in my car. I use RedLine only, I've been using this oil for over 10 years.. You pay more, but it's worth it. I put high quality fuel in my car too. Use good products, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM

No avoid it at all costs,these cars haventransmissionn problems and these are people that own then telling you not a bunch of Haters! Stay away and get an Accord or sum like that! These cars are junk and some people don't wanna say it bc they still drive it but I will they are junk and Nissan is wrong for not takingmcarenof us after putting out such a ****ty product
JMO