6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I'm love my maxima so much. She passed emissions with Ebay performance headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM

I'm love my maxima so much. She passed emissions with Ebay performance headers

Wassup everybody. Just wanted to share this with who it may concern. For anyone who didn't know I have a 04 6spd with bolt-on's. Headers and full catback, CAI, BOP, lightweight crank pulley and a disabled EGR. I've had my share of troubled codes and wasn't aware that the emissions will be an issue when it's time to renew. Since this year the Ontario(CANADA) introduced this new emissions system where everything is being inputted in the computer, scanning, picture taking of the license plate, VIN, and mileage by the person doing the testing.

If you have any engine codes your car automatically fails, if you clear it before the computer won't be ready and you'll fail and be instructed to drive the car for a day or two and put X amount of km then return. I noticed my troubled codes was gone for two days and didn't come back so I plugged in my OBD2 reader and it said there are no code pending so I took the chance to do the emissions even though I'm not due for one until August and she passed. This saved me a ton of money because buying it now will be harder and more expensive and I really didn't want to go back to the stock system and loose all that power. It worked out great because my cats and pre-cats was damaged due to rusted bolts and broken connections.

There's one aftermarket Magnaflow hi flow cat and a disabled EGR and the code has been gone for about four days now and haven't returned. I'm keeping her. Next mission performance wise is the tuning system...

Name:  IMG-20130331-00268.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  288.4 KB
My spring mode with them freshly powdered coated rims
Name:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  118.9 KB

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 03-31-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

So that's what the new results form looks like.... I'm not happy about these new changes in Ontario. My 03 passed (barely) in the fall with headers... but now for the next test I will have to take care of my EVAP codes... something I had no intention of ever fixing. However, overall it should probably make things easier for people with modded cars. I assume they still do a visual inspection to make sure you have a cat, right?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cool! No such controls here in Québec. What the heck is wrong with our governments anyway? Why do they have to stick their nose in everyone's pocket? Every time you buy or sell a used car the government collects more sales tax. The friggin yearly registration is also a bogus hidden tax. It costs like under $100 to register a car in the USA and you pay this only once when you buy the vehicle. Not every year like you do in Quebec. The extra $$$ is supposed to go to fixing the infrastructure but if any one of you know what's going on in Quebec and Montreal these days: Hearings and Inquiries in to Municipal construction contracts...all run by little brown envelopes and skimming from the top. A few Percent here and there. There was even a high level municipal civil servant call Mr. 3 Percent! And BTW our roads are still **** even after year after year of construction cones and paving...a year after they repave everything there are tons of pot holes and they blame it on our bad weather. What utter BS!

Speaking of the emissions tests. As long as you guys do the tests when the car is properly warm and you still have the middle cat in the back of the y-pipe...the one with the sensor. You will have no problem meeting the requirements. The pre-cats off the stock headers are only for when the car is cold and they have no sensors although when they are clogged they can throw a code cause the engine will not breathe properly. The front pre-cats behind the radiator are very dangerous especially if you have a 6 speed manual because for some reason this bank doesn't breath as easily has the rear bank and if the cat is dirty it could suck back in some debris from the cat during the back pressure. This will kill your engine! So be very careful and change that front bank pre-cat right away. Some guys have it removed, cleaned out and put back...but it better be completely clean if you do. Others buy headers without the pre-cats...however the car gets very noisy...too noisy for most. Then you need a bigger resonator. I elected to remove my resonator and keep the pre-cats....cause that damn resonator weights a ton and doesn't do anything IMHO. In fact the car sounds better without it like a G and breaths better too!

And while we're on my topic of sales tax. The government rakes in more profit in the way of sales tax then the salesman, the car dealership and the manufacturer combined!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-05-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM

http://www.scrapdriveclean.ca/take-action/
sign this petition at the bottom and send it off

No cats are needed as long as your SES light is off you'll pass. Hell you could run open headers for all they care!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-05-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 AM

Its true the new laws in Ontario regarding the E-test are horrible...My pops works at a local shop and they have 2011, 09,08's not passing the test due to codes being thrown from sensors. I just got my 96 Infiniti e-tested and we needed to replace a bunch of sensors, air intake sensor, knock sensor and a couple others. Even if your code is a yellow which usually indicates your sensor is on its way to go and haven't yet, you will still fail. Its a big money grab.. e test are now costing hundreds due to all these damn sensors.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by metalpiotr
So that's what the new results form looks like.... I'm not happy about these new changes in Ontario. My 03 passed (barely) in the fall with headers... but now for the next test I will have to take care of my EVAP codes... something I had no intention of ever fixing. However, overall it should probably make things easier for people with modded cars. I assume they still do a visual inspection to make sure you have a cat, right?
Honestly I can't remember seeing the guy go down and look for any cats. I just made sure there was no SEL and what was mentioned at the top. I was having panic attacks from he started plugging in the scanner waiting for the results because I don't want to go back to stock, car was real slow

Originally Posted by xorbitman
And while we're on my topic of sales tax. The government rakes in more profit in the way of sales tax then the salesman, the car dealership and the manufacturer combined!
Government? The emissions is private though

Originally Posted by blue_magicSE
No cats are needed as long as your SES light is off you'll pass. Hell you could run open headers for all they care!
Well on these cars if you have no cats you'll definitely get codes, my boys with Altima's have no cats and their codes stayed, I'm not sure why my EGR and Cats codes vanished over night but I'm happy that I don't have to buy it and pay hundreds of dollars to get it under the table...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics

Government? The emissions is private though
Emissions laws in the US are under Federal Law.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Emissions laws in the US are under Federal Law.
That would apply except I live in Canada