6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

TPMS issue in 2008 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 AM

TPMS issue in 2008 Maxima

I have a 2008 Maxima SL and a few months back the TPMS light came on. It would flash for a minute before staying on permanently. As per the manual, there was an issue with the TPMS. I went to the dealer and they just inflated the tires and told me that the tire pressure was low. The light went off so I though maybe they were right. Soon enough the light came back again and off I went to the dealer again. Like before they just inflated the tires and the light was gone. Its back a third time and its pretty obvious the dealership is either incompetent or just does not want to fix this. My question is

1) Has anyone else seen this issue and how did you get it fixed?
2) Is this an issue that an independent tire shop can deal with or do I have to go back to the dealer?
3) How much did it cost to fix?
4) The car is being driven regularly. Should I stop till the issue is fixed? I check the tire pressure regularly and it is within specs always.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

MRT
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by dtahsee
I have a 2008 Maxima SL and a few months back the TPMS light came on. It would flash for a minute before staying on permanently. As per the manual, there was an issue with the TPMS. I went to the dealer and they just inflated the tires and told me that the tire pressure was low. The light went off so I though maybe they were right. Soon enough the light came back again and off I went to the dealer again. Like before they just inflated the tires and the light was gone. Its back a third time and its pretty obvious the dealership is either incompetent or just does not want to fix this. My question is

1) Has anyone else seen this issue and how did you get it fixed?
2) Is this an issue that an independent tire shop can deal with or do I have to go back to the dealer?
3) How much did it cost to fix?
4) The car is being driven regularly. Should I stop till the issue is fixed? I check the tire pressure regularly and it is within specs always.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

MRT
maybe the battery is going out in one of the sensors
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 AM

Well I would start with the most obvious diagnosis first and check to see if any of your tires are in fact losing any air. This could EASILY be the case having even a bead leak of some sort. Break out a digital tire gauge and monitor your cold PSI and make sure they are above 32 psi at all times for the light to go away. If it still does not go away then you know you actually have some sort of TPMS problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 AM

its probably time to replace the sensor i went to tire kingdom a couple months back with the same issue and they reset my tpms. couple days later it came on they reset it again. ofcourse the light came back on im going to replace the tpms in a couple months when i replace my tires which leads me to my next question are you guys buying oem tpms or after market?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After reading all sorts of 'fixes' posted by people, I have discovered what works for my car....

2008 Nissan Maxima SL TPMS Reset

Needed: 1 piece of small wire about a foot long, a large alligator clip, and a momentary pushbutton switch, or a toggle switch.
Cut the wire in half, strip all 4 ends, connect each piece of wire to the switch, and connect the alligator clip to the end of one of the pieces of wire. This will be your 'jumper' wire.

---wire----------[switch]------wire--------<alligator clip

1. Find TPMS Reset connector.
The TPMS reset connector is a small rectangular “open ended” connector. It is located behind the OBD (on board diagnostic) connector. Mine is about 3 inches behind the connector and sticks out from the bottom of the OBD wire bundle. I removed the fuse-block door and was able to see the TPMS connector through the door opening.
2. Stick the end of your wire into the TPMS connector.
Reach up under the dash while you look through the fuse door opening. I was not able to stick any wire into the open end of the stupid connector and make any electrical contact. I ended up sticking the wire into the back side of the connector where the car's wire entered the connector.
Make sure it is snug in the connector so it makes good electrical contact and won't easily fall out.
3. Ground the other end of your wire.
To the right of the fuseblock is a bolt head. This bolt head is a good 'ground'. Connect your alligator clip to it.
4. Start the car, wait until all the dashlights come on and press the switch (or toggle the switch on-off) 6-8 times.
Your TPMS light should start to blink at a rate of about 2x per second. This means you have a good electrical connection with your switch and wires, and you are in TPMS 're-learn' mode.
5. Shut the car off and adjust the tire pressures.
Adjust the tire pressures to:
Front Left=32 Front Right=28 Rear Right=24 Rear Left=20
6. Important: You have to be able to put air back into the tires immediately after the 'relearn mode' runs – BEFORE your TPMS light comes back on.
If you drive for a minute or two after the TPMS light goes out, it will come on again (because of low tire pressure) and you will have to start this all over.
7. Start at the location where you will be putting Air back into the tires after the 're-learn' is done. This could be a filling station or your own garage (if you have an Air Compressor)
If it is a gas station, you might want to drive there before you let any air out of your tires.
8. Press or toggle your switch 6-8 times to get the TPMS light blinking again.
Drive the car faster than 25mph until the TPMS light quits blinking and goes out.
It only took me a about a mile to get my TPMS light to go off.
Turn the car around, press the switch 6-8 times again to get the TPMS light blinking again, and drive straight back (same distance) to your starting location (where your air supply is). The TPMS light will got out just as you are approaching your starting location. Shut the engine off before your TPMS light comes back on (you only have a minute).
9. Refill your tires to whatever pressure you wish to run-usually 32-35 lbs.
10. Start the car back up. The TPMS light should be off. You can now remove your jumper wire and replace the fuse-block door.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this thread is a year old, but thanks for the reset procedure, i'm sure it would come in handy for someone.