6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car is sluggish when its hot out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Car is sluggish when its hot out?

So I have had this bugging me all summer. My car seems to be significantly slower in the heat. I understand all the science behind it hot air is less dense thus less combustible and car uses a more lean fuel mixture ect.. however the level of this loss of power is really pretty high. I'd estimate my car performs at about 65% when its 95 degrees out compared to 70 degrees. I've never had a car feel like this. It also didn't feel like this 2 years ago before i had any modifications.

I am wondering if doing all these mods, and not tuning my car for them is having an impact. Its so bad that if i can avoid driving until night i do when it gets cooler. Its so discouraging to put your foot down and to only accelerate about as fast as some Toyota Camry. When the temperature dips into the 50-60 my car turns into a beast. its like driving two completely different cars.

I took my car to the track on a hot day and did some tests.

4:45 pm @ 98 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.8
4:58 pm @ 97 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.8
5:15pm @ 94 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.7
6:00pm @ 89 degrees i ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.6
7:12pm @ 81 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.5
8:20pm @ 75 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.4
9:00pm @ 72 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.4
9:50pm @ 71 degrees I ran the 1/8 mile in a 9.3

I am very consistent when i go to the track so these numbers reflect a pretty decent account in the change of speed in relation to temperature. a difference of half a second on an 1/8 mile track is HUGE.

so my question is would a TUNE help lessen this dramatic change in performance? I have all the engine mods except for headers and f/i. there are two plateaus in my rev range in 3 and 4th gear at about 4.2k i know i could iron out. I can't stand driving around a slow car and in the heat my car is slow.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM

Wow, its called heat soak, you cant do anything about that just dont run your car when its hot.

/thread.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Wow, its called heat soak, you cant do anything about that just dont run your car when its hot.

/thread.
THIS!!!

Sorry Mr. Eggs but it happens to all cars. The hotter it is, the slower they get. There's no getting around that.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 PM

do you have the intake spacers from NWP? How about the mishimoto thermostat and mishimoto radiator? The thermostat opens 22degrees cooler and the radiator is more efficient. Also if you don't already have an external trans cooler, I suggest getting one. Also might look into the Hyperlube additive for your coolant. There are many ways to keep the heat down. Heat shield for your intake helps as well. You might also consider dry ice at the track. I know this is not practical around town. You might also consider getting higher performance cooling fans for your radiator and a bypass switch to allow manual control as well as automatic control. Just a couple ideas. Ohh and a thicker oil will also help keep the heat and friction down in hotter weather. Might consider 15w50 or even 20w50.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:42 PM

/thread.
Thank you, for supplying me with a term for what i just said. You are so very helpful
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
do you have the intake spacers from NWP? How about the mishimoto thermostat and mishimoto radiator? The thermostat opens 22degrees cooler and the radiator is more efficient. Also if you don't already have an external trans cooler, I suggest getting one. Also might look into the Hyperlube additive for your coolant. There are many ways to keep the heat down. Heat shield for your intake helps as well. You might also consider dry ice at the track. I know this is not practical around town. You might also consider getting higher performance cooling fans for your radiator and a bypass switch to allow manual control as well as automatic control. Just a couple ideas. Ohh and a thicker oil will also help keep the heat and friction down in hotter weather. Might consider 15w50 or even 20w50.
Yes i have the spacers. All your suggestions are pretty cool, i am going to look into them. I did go with a heavier weight to help with the cooling, also because the heat was thinning it out and i was hearing some engine noise. that tick tick tick noise.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
THIS!!!

Sorry Mr. Eggs but it happens to all cars. The hotter it is, the slower they get. There's no getting around that.
I've always been aware of this, I just feel like this car is affected much more than anything else i've ever been in. I guess im just looking to see if my experience is the same with other 6th gen maximas. It seriously feels like i've lost 2 cylinders.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
I've always been aware of this, I just feel like this car is affected much more than anything else i've ever been in. I guess im just looking to see if my experience is the same with other 6th gen maximas. It seriously feels like i've lost 2 cylinders.
Yes, this car is a fat pig in the heat. I ran 9.3 with an intake in 60-70 degree weather. Added a y-pipe which I could actually feel make a difference and could only run 9.6 in 90 degree weather. Thought about putting a bag of ice on the intake but didn't care enough.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM

All i'm gonna say is...

Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 PM

air that is hotter is less dense, therefore contains less oxygen...
move up here in quebec, my car is da bomb.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Its so discouraging to put your foot down and to only accelerate about as fast as some Toyota Camry.
Don't feel bad they aren't that slow
If your in Cali maybe the heat and the slighty lesser octane combined with needing tune for your mods is also a factor.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM

camrys have 275hp, 04 max 255.... camry should be quicker.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
camrys have 275hp, 04 max 255.... camry should be quicker.
hp ≠ speed
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM

V6 camrys actually are faster.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM

V6 camrys actually are faster.
no they aren't my sister has a 2011 v6 Camry. The maxima is MUCH quicker. whatever HP they claim on the crank it doesn't get to the wheels.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
All i'm gonna say is...

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM

no they aren't my sister has a 2011 v6 Camry. The maxima is MUCH quicker. whatever HP they claim on the crank it doesn't get to the wheels.
yea a modded maxima vs a stock camry, great comparison. Stock for stock the the 06 camry with ITS 3.5 will beat the maxima. Make fun of them if you want but in the rare instance you pull up next to a modded one......we are not the only people with sleepers remember that. You do realize the same motor thats in those Camrys are in these?

I dont know if you have seen them run but they are no slouches.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM

cant forget this also uses that camry V6 you want to say doesnt make power:

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM

yea a modded maxima vs a stock camry, great comparison. Stock for stock the the 06 camry with ITS 3.5 will beat the maxima. Make fun of them if you want but in the rare instance you pull up next to a modded one......we are not the only people with sleepers remember that. You do realize the same motor thats in those Camrys are in these?

You do realize the same motor that is in the Maxima is in the G35 right? You can't compare a lexus to a Nissan. Compare the lexus to the Infinity. This is how it should be done to keep things fair. The Camry should be compared to the Altima and the Corolla to the Sentry. If you want to compare a vehicle from toyota to the Maxima, the only logical choice would be the Avalon. Same size and same size motor. With that being said, the Maxima is faster. To add to that, the Maxima on paper is still faster than the Camry as well. The Maxima has a 14.2 w/manual and 14.8 w/auto quarter mile for 2006. The Camry has a In 2006 the Camry came with a 3.3 not a 3.5.

I could not find anything on a 3.5 for the Camry in 2006;
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/...tyle=100566045
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/...135020051112:2

The 2012 Camry specs are only 268hp and 248tq. that's 3hp gain in 8 years!!! not sure where this conversation is going but this is all I have to offer. http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Toyota-0-60-mph-Times.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ile-times.html

Maybe you have the 06 mixed with the 07 which is their 7th gen Camry? That car has the 3.5 in it. If that's the case, then the camry is closer in specs and comparable. At that point the 07 Maxima might lose with the CVT. Camry is fast, but also has a curb weight of -200lbs compared the the Maxima. Give that to the max and you just took .2sec off of the Max's quarter mile making it a 14sec car. Fair is fair right. Then there is the driver.....

Last edited by po8pimp; 10-04-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM

let me be more clear. My Maxima was once upon a time bone stock. Being the camery is my sisters car, it was also around while my maxima was bone stock. I have driven it extensively myself even staged many many many races with it against my buddy when my sister was out of tow. so NO what you said is NOT right i did it and saw for myself. Not only is the maxima faster its faster by a lot.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 AM

You do realize the same motor that is in the Maxima is in the G35 right? You can't compare a lexus to a Nissan. Compare the lexus to the Infinity. This is how it should be done to keep things fair. The Camry should be compared to the Altima and the Corolla to the Sentry. If you want to compare a vehicle from toyota to the Maxima, the only logical choice would be the Avalon. Same size and same size motor. With that being said, the Maxima is faster. To add to that, the Maxima on paper is still faster than the Camry as well. The Maxima has a 14.2 w/manual and 14.8 w/auto quarter mile for 2006. The Camry has a In 2006 the Camry came with a 3.3 not a 3.5.

I could not find anything on a 3.5 for the Camry in 2006;
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/...tyle=100566045
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/...135020051112:2

The 2012 Camry specs are only 268hp and 248tq. that's 3hp gain in 8 years!!! not sure where this conversation is going but this is all I have to offer. http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Toyota-0-60-mph-Times.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ile-times.html

Maybe you have the 06 mixed with the 07 which is their 7th gen Camry? That car has the 3.5 in it. If that's the case, then the camry is closer in specs and comparable. At that point the 07 Maxima might lose with the CVT. Camry is fast, but also has a curb weight of -200lbs compared the the Maxima. Give that to the max and you just took .2sec off of the Max's quarter mile making it a 14sec car. Fair is fair right. Then there is the driver.....
I did mean the +07 not the 06s

YES that Lexus, so you realize what you are trying to talk down on. YES that Lotus because it is the exact same motor with a reflash and no other modifications. Its a the Toyota motor you are talking down on does it matter what it come in?

And your saying the Camry only comes with 268hp which happens to be more than the maxima, and there is only a 50lbs difference between the maxima and camry cmon man lol, that is not going to make up for much. If you look up the specs to the Camry's motor, with bolt ons it should put down more power than the Maxima.

let me be more clear. My Maxima was once upon a time bone stock. Being the camery is my sisters car, it was also around while my maxima was bone stock. I have driven it extensively myself even staged many many many races with it against my buddy when my sister was out of tow. so NO what you said is NOT right i did it and saw for myself. Not only is the maxima faster its faster by a lot.
And this happened to be an AT Camry vs an MT Maxima? I would like to bring this to your attention because since you want to bring up magzines, the altima SE-R use the same chassis yet lighter than the 6th gen and it is quicker than the 6th gen look what beat it:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Avalon? Again look at this comparison, read what beat the Maxima's performance:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM

I did mean the +07 not the 06s

YES that Lexus, so you realize what you are trying to talk down on. YES that Lotus because it is the exact same motor with a reflash and no other modifications. Its a the Toyota motor you are talking down on does it matter what it come in?

And your saying the Camry only comes with 268hp which happens to be more than the maxima, and there is only a 50lbs difference between the maxima and camry cmon man lol, that is not going to make up for much. If you look up the specs to the Camry's motor, with bolt ons it should put down more power than the Maxima.

And this happened to be an AT Camry vs an MT Maxima? I would like to bring this to your attention because since you want to bring up magzines, the altima SE-R use the same chassis yet lighter than the 6th gen and it is quicker than the 6th gen look what beat it:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Avalon? Again look at this comparison, read what beat the Maxima's performance:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
I have a AT and the Camry has on AT... dude, why are you so gay for the Camry? I am just telling you what happened. The Camry had everything going for it.

The camry i went up against:
-Was 7 years younger than my max
-had 82 THOUSAND miles less than my max
-we both have automatic transmission
-we were both bone stock from bumper to bumper

I was not only faster than the camry, i was MUCH faster. The camry didn't poke out ahead of me for even a second. i was completely in front of the Camry by 65mpg every time. And i like the camry it is an awesome car, its just not as fast.

you know there is more to the speed of a car than its HP/weight engines type ect... its all about the efficiency of the drive train. I've seen cars with 280HP/ton get completely destroyed by a car with 220HP/ton and it has everything to do with how it gets the power from the crank to the wheels. The maxima is one of the most efficient cars when it comes to getting HP from the crank to the wheels. This is why other cars with more HP lose to the maxima. Power to weight the v6 accord should destroy to maxima, but it doesn't..

This is also the concept lost by people who say 5.5 gens are faster because they have the same HP and less weight... Well, NOOO the 5.5 gen is an older car with older technology and a less efficient drive train. Stock to Stock a 6th gen is faster than the 5.5. With the overwhelming push for better fuel economy every generation of car is going to have lighter more efficient drive train mechanics so they can make their sales. If the 2012 maxima was using the drive train from a 2001 maxima they wouldn't sell crap because the other makes are using better more fuel efficient parts. This is not a difficult concept..

Also i don't know what to say about the altima SE-R because i have never raced one while i was stock. I have raced an equally modded SE-R and won at Irwindale speed way. We raced twice and i beat him twice. both times it was .2 sec on the 1/8 mile

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-05-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM

I have a AT and the Camry has on AT... dude, why are you so gay for the Camry? I am just telling you what happened. The Camry had everything going for it.

The camry i went up against:
-Was 7 years younger than my max
-had 82 THOUSAND miles less than my max
-we both have automatic transmission
-we were both bone stock from bumper to bumper

I was not only faster than the camry, i was MUCH faster. The camry didn't poke out ahead of me for even a second. i was completely in front of the Camry by 65mpg every time. And i like the camry it is an awesome car, its just not as fast.

you know there is more to the speed of a car than its HP/weight engines type ect... its all about the efficiency of the drive train. I've seen cars with 280HP/ton get completely destroyed by a car with 220HP/ton and it has everything to do with how it gets the power from the crank to the wheels. The maxima is one of the most efficient cars when it comes to getting HP from the crank to the wheels. This is why other cars with more HP lose to the maxima. Power to weight the v6 accord should destroy to maxima, but it doesn't..

This is also the concept lost by people who say 5.5 gens are faster because they have the same HP and less weight... Well, NOOO the 5.5 gen is an older car with older technology and a less efficient drive train. Stock to Stock a 6th gen is faster than the 5.5.
Ok whatever you say, i have provided proof it can edge out a maxima but whatever since it happened on the street it must be true. The V6 accord doesnt have enough torque to get beat a maxima but a 3.5 powered TL NOT the base 3.2.....different story<---and you are probably gonna argue "its an Acura" but they are in the same class.

Older cars with older technology and less efficient drivetrain......yea right. What does a 5.5 gen have to do with this? Let alone it is faster than a 6th gen by a few tenths, the only debatable gen is the 7th if you can get it to launch properly. Dyno a 5.5 and then a 6th gen stock vs stock see if one make more power than the other. Bet there is not one difference between them. A little over 200whp for the autos, 205-215 for the MTs. I saw an auto 6th gen dyno at 199whp so where this more efficient drivetrain is coming from......
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM

This is also the concept lost by people who say 5.5 gens are faster because they have the same HP and less weight... Well, NOOO the 5.5 gen is an older car with older technology and a less efficient drive train. Stock to Stock a 6th gen is faster than the 5.5. With the overwhelming push for better fuel economy every generation of car is going to have lighter more efficient drive train mechanics so they can make their sales. If the 2012 maxima was using the drive train from a 2001 maxima they wouldn't sell crap because the other makes are using better more fuel efficient parts. This is not a difficult concept..

Also i don't know what to say about the altima SE-R because i have never raced one while i was stock. I have raced an equally modded SE-R and won at Irwindale speed way. We raced twice and i beat him twice. both times it was .2 sec on the 1/8 mile
yea SERs fall because apparently your maxima is a supercar, everything loses to supercars. what else have you beat, a couple of GTRs here and there, a few vettes must have obviously fallen to your supremely powerful maxima.

and did you know the MTs on the 6th gens are off of the sentras....SHOCKING, Its the exact same transmission as the 02 sentras with exception of the one small gear bolted to the diff called the final drive. ZOMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!

LORD HAVE MERCY, i just discovered aside from the input shaft and final drive the 5.5 gen uses THE EXACT SAME MT AS THE 6TH GEN. WE MIGHT DIE!!!!

JESUS CHRIST, the all share the same VQ35 from 2002 till 2008? WAT IS DIZ W0RLD CUMIN T0O TEH CONCEPTZ R LOST!!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM

not to get anyone mad but i think the maxima would take a dump on a camry even tho both have you provided good arguements.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Really wonder what all this has to do with heat soak.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
Really wonder what all this has to do with heat soak.
Not a damn thing but the thread needed derailing because its the way engines work.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM

I just wanted to antagonize and add fuel to the fire....
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Name:  75E3659B-8181-4AE8-9ABF-80C5BF6675A5-2900-00000177C86BD5D9.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 10-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Ok whatever you say, i have provided proof it can edge out a maxima but whatever since it happened on the street it must be true. The V6 accord doesnt have enough torque to get beat a maxima but a 3.5 powered TL NOT the base 3.2.....different story<---and you are probably gonna argue "its an Acura" but they are in the same class.

Older cars with older technology and less efficient drivetrain......yea right. What does a 5.5 gen have to do with this? Let alone it is faster than a 6th gen by a few tenths, the only debatable gen is the 7th if you can get it to launch properly. Dyno a 5.5 and then a 6th gen stock vs stock see if one make more power than the other. Bet there is not one difference between them. A little over 200whp for the autos, 205-215 for the MTs. I saw an auto 6th gen dyno at 199whp so where this more efficient drivetrain is coming from......
The acura 3.5 TL type S is actually faster than the maxima. I already know this because i've raced one and it beat me. It is also on paper.

I find it funny that you are so all knowing of these things because you can read words. While i am here going to race tracks every week and racing these people you talk about in a real world application. I raced my maxima for a straight year before i even put an intake on it, I only started modding my car after my warranty was up. I've race many modded 5.5 gens (some with just mufflers [no cat back] and some heavily modded) back in NorCal before i moved down south) I beat the lightly modded 5.5 gens and lost to the heavily modded ones. No tricks. its real world application. you keep reading those magazines and talk to the people that actually race..

And i am not even going to start reading your next post, all i see are fruity colors and capitol letters. I passed kindergarten like over 2 decades ago.....
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM

The fact that you mention dyno numbers when in a debate about what car is fastest on a straight line, really shows a lot about what you actually know...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM

I just wanted to antagonize and add fuel to the fire....
Hm. Not in your character
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM

The acura 3.5 TL type S is actually faster than the maxima. I already know this because i've raced one and it beat me. It is also on paper.

I find it funny that you are so all knowing of these things because you can read words. While i am here going to race tracks every week and racing these people you talk about in a real world application. I raced my maxima for a straight year before i even put an intake on it, I only started modding my car after my warranty was up. I've race many modded 5.5 gens (some with just mufflers [no cat back] and some heavily modded) back in NorCal before i moved down south) I beat the lightly modded 5.5 gens and lost to the heavily modded ones. No tricks. its real world application. you keep reading those magazines and talk to the people that actually race..

And i am not even going to start reading your next post, all i see are fruity colors and capitol letters. I passed kindergarten like over 2 decades ago.....
The fact that you mention dyno numbers when in a debate about what car is fastest on a straight line, really shows a lot about what you actually know...
Because the fact is you have no idea what you are talking about thats why their are fruity colors, kindergarden colors will help you more than hurt you, did you even read what i wrote? You will run mid 14s, FOURTEENS. In the heat you run 15s Most 5.5 gens that are lightly modded with a decent driver are running high 13s, a handful of full bolt ons are in the 12s. If you want to talk about racing.

and just shut your mouth with more efficient drivetrain, they dyno is always going to be a lie detector for that. Didnt i just point out to you I've seen a 6th gen dyno at less than 200whp, also that the main difference between the MTs in these cars were there final drives do you even know what a final drive looks like? Here this is what it is:

Thats it, yea massive difference in efficiency. In fact the 5.5 gen in most cases has the MORE efficient transmission than the 6th gen because it has a longer FD.

Last edited by Crusher103; 10-06-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Because the fact is you have no idea what you are talking about thats why their are fruity colors, kindergarden colors will help you more than hurt you, did you even read what i wrote? You will run mid 14s, FOURTEENS. In the heat you run 15s Most 5.5 gens that are lightly modded with a decent driver are running high 13s, a handful of full bolt ons are in the 12s. If you want to talk about racing.

and just shut your mouth with more efficient drivetrain, they dyno is always going to be a lie detector for that. Didnt i just point out to you I've seen a 6th gen dyno at less than 200whp, also that the main difference between the MTs in these cars were there final drives do you even know what a final drive looks like? Here this is what it is:

Thats it, yea massive difference in efficiency. In fact the 5.5 gen in most cases has the MORE efficient transmission than the 6th gen because it has a longer FD.
no
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 AM

This thread is very interesting.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stonelove670
This thread is very interesting.
They usually are...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Uh, ok...so, getting back to the whole heat soak thing. I noticed it a lot this summer too when it was hitting 100F. The only thing is I am at 6,500' above sea level here. If you want to see how bad the effects of heat soak plus the loss of hp due to altitude is come to Colorado in summer with your car. Lol, after you get back to lower elevation you'll feel like you have a ZR1 engine under your hood. This is why my next car is almost certainly going to have a turbo, as they do far better at high altitude than normally aspirated cars.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM

no
Just admit you didnt know a damn thing of what you were talking about with that efficiency crap and i will leave you alone. you are still spewing out BS and dont even realize it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Just admit you didnt know a damn thing of what you were talking about with that efficiency crap and i will leave you alone. you are still spewing out BS and dont even realize it.
i don't admit things unless i am wrong. Sorry.
find something better to do.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
Uh, ok...so, getting back to the whole heat soak thing. I noticed it a lot this summer too when it was hitting 100F. The only thing is I am at 6,500' above sea level here. If you want to see how bad the effects of heat soak plus the loss of hp due to altitude is come to Colorado in summer with your car. Lol, after you get back to lower elevation you'll feel like you have a ZR1 engine under your hood. This is why my next car is almost certainly going to have a turbo, as they do far better at high altitude than normally aspirated cars.
Oh yea, i know what your talking about. i drove my 4th gen up to tahoe once, even though it is colder up there the air was super thin. I can't imagine what Colorado would be like.. screw a car, just get a bike.

Quick Reply: Car is sluggish when its hot out?