6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New 04-06 C-mod Sport Grille...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM

New 04-06 C-mod Sport Grille...

doesn't quite fit. I went ahead and bought it because I wanted to use the frame for a project, and because nobody else seemed willing to be the guinea pig. It seems as if the grille would fit if the bumper wasn't mounted on the car, but the grille just seems a little too big. I had a hard time closing the hood, and when I did the grille was being pushed down. The top corners don't match the curvature of the hood, and the top bar sticks out past the hood. I tried everything I could to make it fit, but it just wouldn't budge. I might try removing the mesh to see if it's keeping the grille from forming correctly, but it seems like some major re-work needs to be done. I also double checked my bumper fitment, but nothing looked out of place. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Name:  14493691.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  bbc53f9a.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  8f35edce.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  31.3 KB
Name:  f1aff204.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.7 KB
Name:  41dff7f1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  3bacc9d5.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  1122eb93.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  34.5 KB
Name:  a55da487.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  37.9 KB
Name:  4e1dae80.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  28.5 KB

I hope C-mod can fix these issues so we can have a perfect fitting grille.

Last edited by joecurr; 05-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Is this the new and improved C-mod grill?

BTW your old grill looked Boss
Old 05-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Yup, this is the newly designed C-mod. And thanks, not everyone is a fan of billet but it's more fitting for my style.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:18 AM

If this grill would fit right, it would look GREAT!!!

The first 2 pictures posted are really attractive looking. Well, I hope you get compensated back for money spent. Or they modify it and send you a brand new one.

Let us know what happens.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 AM

The bottom fits crease free but i'm sure you'll have problems with scratch and rubbing on your paint. The top looks like it will eventually break the grill after a while. It really does need to be corrected because closing the hood can be a task.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 PM

I hope that C-mod can fix the problems too. Agree with what you said about the grille. Everything looks discombobulated. If they tweaked some things then this would be a great looking grille.

Are they willing to except a refund or exchange for one that actually fits? Pretty sure you asked about it already.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Joe, thanks for jumping and testing one out for us.

Sides - looks super snug, even tight.
Bottom - looks like it fits like a glove.
Top - Ouch, yeah those pics really show what's wrong with it. Too far forward, too tall on the corners, little too much gap right under the hood.

Mesh -- Looks like same stuff they have been using on the old grilles too.

I wonder if they ever installed it on a 6thgen before sending them out?

Watching for updates..
Old 05-27-2012, 01:58 PM

At first i was like ooh yeahh nice, but then i was like ooooh noesssss
Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Got Retrofit?

Booooooo
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
If this grill would fit right, it would look GREAT!!!

The first 2 pictures posted are really attractive looking. Well, I hope you get compensated back for money spent. Or they modify it and send you a brand new one.

Let us know what happens.
Yeah, I hope so too. I don't want to spend money on a grille for me to fix in order to help the company out. I'm keeping in touch with them to work things out.

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
The bottom fits crease free but i'm sure you'll have problems with scratch and rubbing on your paint. The top looks like it will eventually break the grill after a while. It really does need to be corrected because closing the hood can be a task.
Some primer has already rubbed off from me closing the hood.

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
I hope that C-mod can fix the problems too. Agree with what you said about the grille. Everything looks discombobulated. If they tweaked some things then this would be a great looking grille.

Are they willing to except a refund or exchange for one that actually fits? Pretty sure you asked about it already.
We haven't discussed anything like that yet, we are first trying to see what does/doesn't work.

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Joe, thanks for jumping and testing one out for us.

Sides - looks super snug, even tight.
Bottom - looks like it fits like a glove.
Top - Ouch, yeah those pics really show what's wrong with it. Too far forward, too tall on the corners, little too much gap right under the hood.

Mesh -- Looks like same stuff they have been using on the old grilles too.

I wonder if they ever installed it on a 6thgen before sending them out?

Watching for updates..
I wondered the same thing. I asked them but they didn't respond to that question.

Originally Posted by HMAX08
At first i was like ooh yeahh nice, but then i was like ooooh noesssss
That was my exact reaction. When I first opened it, I was super juiced. When I put it on, it was pure disappointment.

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Booooooo
Yeah, pretty disappointing.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 AM

So I simulated how the grille would install with clips by using tape to hold the grille down where it would be mounted. I also removed the mesh to see if the it was keeping the grille from settling correctly. These are the results.

Name:  6e110f91.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  84281ff6.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  0f538c65.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  29.7 KB
Name:  b14b32f9.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  44.2 KB
Name:  1adda001.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  47.1 KB
Name:  3badf23a.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  30.6 KB
Name:  909898c4.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  36.6 KB
Name:  98624885.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  40b38bcb.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  53.8 KB

I couldn't close the hood because the grille was making too much contact and I didn't want to break it.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM

how does it mount to the bumper? doesnt look like it has any tabs to go through the holes, and that could make some difference?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM

There aren't any tabs for the bottom, you are supposed to drill the holes on top for the push clips. I'm not sure if that's how the old design was but I'd imagine it'd be the same.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM

old design has holes already for the clips up top, and then the tabs down below provide rigidity when the clips are fastened up top. without the bottom being held in place, i dont see how itd be very sturdy.

oh my bad youre talking about the old cmod design.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 AM

joecurr, you are putting a lot of work into this. I hope cmod sees how hard you are working on this to help them correct all flaws. They should really make sure they show their appreciation.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Got Retrofit?

C-mod = Crap-mod.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
I hope they can work with you.

We must realize that all the companies that make aftermarket parts for our cars some times do make mistakes or say can manufacture products that end up beinfg faulty. Look at the EZconcept lights that lots of people had fogging issues with. Some people too had problems with racingline endlinks and I think headers. And to a lesser extend remember the roof spoilers from Taiwan? it was very off on our cars, but the seller did make some adjustments that improved fitment, though not perfect, but the guy is still selling well on ebay.

So, I hope c-mod sees your hardwork and definitely compensates you with a new one and you keep this for you cannot afford to pay shipping to send this one back. It cannot be adjusted by them and the re-sold. So, it is yours to keep for ever. So, I will guess they will give you 2 options to pick one; get your money back or a new c-mod grill after they make the necessary adjustments.

Keep us updated.
I quoted this post here because I am replying to it in this thread.

This was their response for compensation:

"We already give you a discount of 10% for the item. We appreciate you
working with us to resolve the issues. These are the options for you:

1) We will send you a partial refund of $50, if you can custom it to fit,
you can cut out the parts of the top panel as suggested. It should fit fine.

2) We will send you a partial refund of $75, if you take it to the auto body
shop to have it professionally installed.

3) We will send you a new replacement, if you return it.

4) We will send you a full refund, if you return it."

The 10% "discount" they gave me was $175 shipped, which is the same price I saw them selling the grille for on eBay. I don't think that counts as a discount. $50 for me to modify it or $75 for me to have an auto body shop modify it (which would probably cost even more than $75), AND to take detailed pictures and measurements of it so they can modify their mold? A new replacement with no refund if I return it or a full refund if I return it and get no grille after already helping them?

I'm not sure if it's worth my time to work on this thing for them, what do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

Let them know your're on the forums if you havent. Send them the link to this thread. If they have any business sense they will send you a revised unit. If they dont want to do that, well then return it get your money back. Dasit.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by joecurr
I'm not sure if it's worth my time to work on this thing for them, what do you guys think?
return it and be done with it! post your first grille if you can sounds like it was better.

C-mod = Crap-mod.
haha thats not nice but..... holds some truth....from what I have heard their fitment has allways been a little off but not as bad as this example

what can we expect I mean this is aftermarket we are talking here

glad I made my own grille
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Great and I just ordered mine...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

C-mod = Crap-mod.
LOL. Their test fit looked good, but it was on an unmounted bumper.

Originally Posted by lulz
Let them know your're on the forums if you havent. Send them the link to this thread. If they have any business sense they will send you a revised unit. If they dont want to do that, well then return it get your money back. Dasit.
I use this thread to update them because it updates everyone. I refer them to this thread when they ask for more pictures. If I just get a revised unit, I'm doing all this work for them and ending up with the same outcome as anyone who didn't have to do all this work, paying full price for the revised grille.

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
return it and be done with it! post your first grille if you can sounds like it was better.

haha thats not nice but..... holds some truth....from what I have heard their fitment has allways been a little off but not as bad as this example

what can we expect I mean this is aftermarket we are talking here

glad I made my own grille
I'm thinking about that, but I'm considering all my options right now. With fiberglass molds, fitment won't always be perfect, but if the initial grille was made using an unmounted bumper, then more than likely the mold is just incorrect.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM

Its pretty disappointing that there not in this thread explaining the problem and what they are doing to fix it and they still have it for sale on their site when they know its wrong and fits like ****.

Horrible
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by hoover86
Great and I just ordered mine...
Do a test fit, so we can see if it's just an issue with mine or an issue with C-mod's mold. If yours doesn't fit, demand a full refund with paid return shipping because they shouldn't be selling this grille with such known fitment issues (and trust me, they know).

Originally Posted by 06BlckMax
Its pretty disappointing that there not in this thread explaining the problem and what they are doing to fix it and they still have it for sale on their site when they know its wrong and fits like ****.

Horrible
They can't exactly explain the problem because well, they don't exactly know what the problem is. As for them still selling it as is, no comment.

C-mod = Crap-mod.
Off-topic, but I know you'd feel my joy in this. These should keep me happy for a bit lol.

Name:  d252dfc6.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  110.3 KB
Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 AM

I would send it back and request a revised replacement. If they can't, ask for the money back. Tell them there are many maxima owners waiting to buy.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Here is an interesting piece:

I hit them up as soon as the posted the pics, decided to hold off because of price and it looked like the same lame mesh they had been using in the first grille.

Here is some of their reply. If they really test fitted it, your next one should be fine. If a replacement doesn't fit then they were probably lying to me. but why in the world would they not test fit it???

"We can send you an invoice to pay with PayPal, is this your PayPal email
address?

Note that the price will increase later, and it is only a promotion offer,
we have test fitted it on a front bumper and it looks great, many people
already like the new design,
if you can show us more pics after you have it
installed, it will be great, thanks for your support.

Don't forget to like us on Facebook
."
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by scrui
I would send it back and request a revised replacement. If they can't, ask for the money back. Tell them there are many maxima owners waiting to buy.
But I'm the one helping them revise it. They want me to do some modifications to it to help them out. As much as I'd like to do it for free and for the benefit of the 6th gen community, like I told them time is money, and I don't have all this free time just to work on it.

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Here is an interesting piece:

I hit them up as soon as the posted the pics, decided to hold off because of price and it looked like the same lame mesh they had been using in the first grille.

Here is some of their reply. If they really test fitted it, your next one should be fine. If a replacement doesn't fit then they were probably lying to me. but why in the world would they not test fit it???

"We can send you an invoice to pay with PayPal, is this your PayPal email
address?

Note that the price will increase later, and it is only a promotion offer,
we have test fitted it on a front bumper and it looks great, many people
already like the new design,
if you can show us more pics after you have it
installed, it will be great, thanks for your support.

Don't forget to like us on Facebook
."
They DID test fit it on a front bumper, but from what I understand that bumper was unmounted. So they technically didn't lie, but it wasn't a proper test fit.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Gotcha
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Got Retrofit?

Off-topic, but I know you'd feel my joy in this. These should keep me happy for a bit lol
I really dislike you right now lol How much did those CBI's run you?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM

I really dislike you right now lol How much did those CBI's run you?
LOL I just bought them from MotiveMods for $180. I actually was just going to buy the LED's because one of my license plate lights is starting to flicker, then I though eh what the hell might as well buy the CBI's too.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

LOL I just bought them from MotiveMods for $180. I actually was just going to buy the LED's because one of my license plate lights is starting to flicker, then I though eh what the hell might as well buy the CBI's too.
Jesus.. I need those. Have you installed yet?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM

No not yet, I just received them today. Hopefully I can get around to installing them this weekend.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Got Retrofit?

No not yet, I just received them today. Hopefully I can get around to installing them this weekend.
Install now so you can brag about it, forcing me to get them lol I think they'd be outstanding I'm my FX's at 55W.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM

yeah what are those LEDS for they look sick
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Install now so you can brag about it, forcing me to get them lol I think they'd be outstanding I'm my FX's at 55W.
Someone on the Max forums having them should be enough to force you to get them lol. Just get some man! You're going to get them eventually so might as well now! LOL

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
yeah what are those LEDS for they look sick
They're for my license plate. The LED's in there right now I bought a while back from umnitza, and they are looking way too blue. These Osrams are supposed to be around 4000K, and when I installed them are a much closer match to my HID's. The color and brightness looks similar to Lexus license plate lights.

Update: After telling C-mod that cutting certain parts of the grille probably wouldn't affect the fit, they still want me to cut it. In return, they will REIMBURSE ME FOR SHIPPING this grille back to them and they will ship me a new grille when they are done revising it. What a deal! So they're actually the ones doing ME a favor!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Well, mine was delivered today... Hopefully I'll have a chance to see how it fits tonight and report back.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Cool, I look forward to seeing if yours fits or not. Hopefully mine is a "defect."
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM

I wanna see pics of the LEDs installed
Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM

joecurr, I think c-mod really need to do better than they said. Especially as you have this thread and they visit it and see all what you are doing and all what people are saying.

If I was you, I would still pursue them by showing them their ebay ad, if you say it is $175 shipped. I hope they do better and resolve your issue better.

The people with problems with the ezconcpt tail lights had to ship back to manufacturer and got new replacements. I wish someone can tell us if each Maxima owner paid for shipping back to manufacturer before getting the new replacement tail light. If that was the case, then I guess I will say then c-mod is ok with asking you to pay for shipping back so you can get a new one or a full refund.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 PM

I quoted this post here because I am replying to it in this thread.

This was their response for compensation:

"We already give you a discount of 10% for the item. We appreciate you
working with us to resolve the issues. These are the options for you:

1) We will send you a partial refund of $50, if you can custom it to fit,
you can cut out the parts of the top panel as suggested. It should fit fine.

2) We will send you a partial refund of $75, if you take it to the auto body
shop to have it professionally installed.

3) We will send you a new replacement, if you return it.

4) We will send you a full refund, if you return it."

The 10% "discount" they gave me was $175 shipped, which is the same price I saw them selling the grille for on eBay. I don't think that counts as a discount. $50 for me to modify it or $75 for me to have an auto body shop modify it (which would probably cost even more than $75), AND to take detailed pictures and measurements of it so they can modify their mold? A new replacement with no refund if I return it or a full refund if I return it and get no grille after already helping them?

IMO if they aren't paying you to work on it. Then it's not worth your time. It's plain and simple. They didn't do you any favors but, asking you to do some for them.

They should've done a better job at fitting it in the first place. Instead of using people as guinea pigs for their project. Like I hinted with my first post. You should just return it and get your money back.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hoover86
Well, mine was delivered today... Hopefully I'll have a chance to see how it fits tonight and report back.
How did it go. Any fitting issues with your grill?

Quick Reply: New 04-06 C-mod Sport Grille...