6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Max Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM

New Max Owner

Hey everyone, I just picked up an 05 Maxima with 150KMS, yes I'm Canadian....EH haha had to do that. Anyways its the SE model with the VDC option fully loaded black leather.
The car has a Nismo CAI and the transmission had just been rebuilt through the previous owners warranty.
Few things I'm going to be adding to this car are 20's, double din and 2 12" subs.

Anyways, I've had the car for a couple weeks now and I love it so far besides the ****ty gas mileage but I have a few questions if you guys can help that would be great.

1) The rebuilt trans jerks here and there most of the time when I'm babying it 1st to 2nd it jerks and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd it feels as if the tranny is "pulling" back and then going into gear. Is this normal?, or is it because of a ****ty rebuild? Apparently it has the aftermarket valve body installed which is supposed to be like a shift kit...

2) So far my timing chains don't make any noise (knock on wood) and there hasn't been any maintenance done to them, with 150 kms thats about 95,000 miles, should I be worried? Previous owner told me he always used full synthetic and to stick to synthetic oil changes regularly I shouldn't have a problem.

3) I noticed straight piece of pipe before the mufflers is bent in from the top...I'm assuming this is oem to create back pressure? But just need a professional answer. Would it be advisable to have a rounded pipe put in if I ever decide to get aftermarket exhaust?

4) Sorry one more thing, this is my first "new" car and I'm very disappointed that for an 05 there is no MP3 support at all. I even tried to put in the cassette to mp3 tape but the stupid Max just spits it out because I guess it thinks the tape is empty? I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem but I put it in, it changes sides a few times and ejects it. Tape deck faulty?

Thanks for all the input and sorry if I typed to much! Cheers!

Last edited by SmaX; 05-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM

1) you shoulda bought stick shift
2)i dont believe you should worry about your timing chain at all. But do your regular maintenance.
3)
4)I took my in dash OEM cassette and CD player out and bought a pioneer double din head unit instead with Navi. its a million times better. but does cost tho. i bought mine for 1800 couple years ago
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 PM

3) I thought nobody would understand this, I'll try to get a picture to show what I'm talking about

4) That's what I'm saving up to do but I mean in the meantime it's soo annoying to not being able to have mp3 support.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM

So I guess no one has ever had the tape deck problem?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Keep trying until it accepts it, sometimes my tape deck will spit out the tape adapter. It will eventually work, but it can be frustrating.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM

The crimp is negligible. If you want performance get header/y or just yipe. Also throw in im spacers, vias delete.

I'm disappointed to that it has stupid tape deck but have never tried to use it and shocked that no mp3 plug or anything. Or for that matter doesn't play mp3 burned cds. But I don't wan't to give up the stock look and screen usage so I'll stick with it.

Timing chain issue I wouldn't mess with until you start really hearing it. Mine made a lot of noise when I bought it and cleared up after car was really warmed up. But once I got an oil change it was pretty much only quick rattle on start up. It doesn't solve the problem but I think clean oil and full oil level at least for me keeps the embarrassing noise away.
I'm not sure about tranny , I have 6spd.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jman7777
Keep trying until it accepts it, sometimes my tape deck will spit out the tape adapter. It will eventually work, but it can be frustrating.
Thanks man I kept trying and it did eventually keep it in.

Originally Posted by 7speed
The crimp is negligible. If you want performance get header/y or just yipe. Also throw in im spacers, vias delete.

I'm disappointed to that it has stupid tape deck but have never tried to use it and shocked that no mp3 plug or anything. Or for that matter doesn't play mp3 burned cds. But I don't wan't to give up the stock look and screen usage so I'll stick with it.

Timing chain issue I wouldn't mess with until you start really hearing it. Mine made a lot of noise when I bought it and cleared up after car was really warmed up. But once I got an oil change it was pretty much only quick rattle on start up. It doesn't solve the problem but I think clean oil and full oil level at least for me keeps the embarrassing noise away.
I'm not sure about tranny , I have 6spd.
Yeah boo for no mp3 support for a 2005. I'll eventually get a double din where the stock cd/tape deck are.

I heard instead of getting the vias delete plate you can just remove the butterfly? I have intake & tb spacers on it right now what are the benefits of the vias delete, more high end torque & better mpg?