6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima Serious Shake at 40mph+

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 PM

2004 Maxima Serious Shake at 40mph+

Hey whats up guys. my 04 has been acting up a little lately. i did the passenger side axle and all the mounts except the rear. i have the rear but didnt feel like unboltin the ypipe and subframe. but it i will soon. so let me explain whats up

I had a clunk sound which definitely was my motor mounts. and i would get the normal 60-70mph shimmy but sometimes hear the clunking at that speed also but never had a bad shake. Than after mounts were in i have this crazy shake after 40 and it flutters my lights if i give a lot of gas. All my mounts were ripped up and in bad shape but we had lights on the rear mount and it didnt look so bad, deff not like the front and side mount. Do you guys think that rear mount would have a play in my shake because i know the rest of the motor is staying put tight in one spot and maybe the rear is really soft and abused causing it to shake? Also would not torquing these bolts play a part in the shake also? I also replaced the passenger axle. it feels like it helped a little bit with the shake, would drive side axle cause it to shake? it feels like its coming from my side really bad not so much in the back or passenger seat. My tranny is also shifting like a *****. i am fed up with this piece lol

help
Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 AM

33 views and not a reply come on guys!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:13 AM

i would def torque it down ...

stop being lazy and put the rear ones on and then post the results if its still doing it or not

sounds like you did something wrong somewhere

but just torque it down and put the rear ones on
Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Okay this up coming week it's going in but it's weird.

When my car is cold and I start driving it on the road I can go passed 40 without shaking at all. Why when my car cold it's okay and after tranny warms up it acts up
Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 AM

I would start with getting the tires balanced. Also I had a problem that sounds similar on my 530i. After throughly inspecting everything on the car I found out it ended up being a seized caliper. Go figure. Easy enough to check, it had a burning smell and you could feel the an intense heat coming off the rotor. Also if it were the motor mounts I figure you would only feel the shake when stopping and going. Not in between.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Engine mounts wouldn't give you all that shaking. Check you tire Pressure and see if your tire thread has a lumpy felling when you pass your palm on it. Check your struts to see if there is not a broken seal or just weak. That could make your tire bounce when driven. Check your ball joints and tie rods on both sides. Just a little something to think about on the front end.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM

I just put new wheels off a 2009 Altima an shake still persists. My brakes look fine also I har the alien brake kit and rotors look fine don't feel an excess heat on them after a nice drive. My suspension is Ksports coilovers with 8k on them so I doubt it's them.

The crazy shake happened after the mouts were changed. Would my driver side axle be a culprit? I hate driving my car because of this problem. If i go WOT from 0 it wont shake at all until it goes 3rd gear than its bad but if I'm just crushing in 2nd ad give it gas at 30 it'll start hopping it feels like. No one else had this problem?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Also I was thinking its the rear mount because all the other mounts are good an that rear one is old and taking all the abuse. Is that possible?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM

So when it's cold out it get a lot worse. Feels like my axle Im going to do that ASAP. I'm hearing some kind of noise now only sometimes on throttle. I'm going to have Santa bring me inner and outer tie Rods both sides. New end links. And hopefully wheel bearings because i feel like I hear it time to time
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Ok so it's raining right now and a little Warmer than usual. And my car isnt shaking like it was as if it was cold and dry. I bought axle inner and outer tie rods both sides and swaybar end links Going on today or tomorrow
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM

I know axle is different then steering linkage, but wouldn't an alignment be necessary anytime you're working that much on the front end?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Deff with the inner and outer tie rods not the end links or axle. Would a axle make this shake crazy? Its wet and warm today and not acting up like it usually does.

I think when it's cold it has a bad effect to somethig because in hot weather it was never like this
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm surprised other Maximas haven't had this problem.

I'll update by end of weekend when I get everything in.