6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission success rate

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Transmission success rate

I was hoping an experienced Max Forum member could start a thread where we could track the success rates, price and duration of success etc... of the different transmission fixes.
Something like a score board for the different options available to those in need.
We could compare TransGo to Level 10 to rebuilt to used... Info such as previous symptoms might need to be categorized. Also the warranty, if any, included by shop. And indy pro, dealer or DIY install job.
Or I guess the easy way to go is if people just list things on this or a similar thread.

1. Job done on tranny
2. Rate success from 1-10
3. Miles driven since work completed
4. Previous symptoms.
5. Price for parts
6. Price for labor
7. Warranty(On parts and/or labor)
8. Lingering symptoms
9. Dealer indy shop or DIY
10.Type of driver. commuter or lunatic etc...
11. ??? what else???

Maybe we should limit postings to those who've already completed their repairs. And of course mechanics who've dealt with many such situations.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 PM

The sticky RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX is a valuable resource for all this transmission info. But at 840 posts it takes about 8 hours to read. I was hoping a thread like this would give the successful repairs a chance to be compared and reviewed more easily. Does anyone agree?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Brudderray
The sticky RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX is a valuable resource for all this transmission info. But at 840 posts it takes about 8 hours to read. I was hoping a thread like this would give the successful repairs a chance to be compared and reviewed more easily. Does anyone agree?
Ok, here's mine.
Year/Trim: 06/SL
Symptoms: Hard shifts; gear lurch from R to D
DTC: P0780
Type of Fix: OEM VB from Courtesy Parts
Date/Price: July/$844
Mileage before Fix: 96k miles
Success Rate: 10
Present Mileage:99k miles

Last edited by Costee; 11-30-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Year/Trim: 05/SE
Symptoms: Hard Shifts, Delay and Bang from R-D & D-R, Slipping when shifting.
Type of fix: Rebuilt tranny including new VB from nissan, Rebuilt tourqe converter.
Shop: Dolphin Transmission in Brooklyn NY
Price: $2500 + tax = $2700, that includes parts and labor
Milage Before Fix: about 92k miles
Success Rate: still to be determined

don't know if they shafted me on repair or if the tranny was just too messed up but it started burning oil and shifting hard after about 7k miles. they did give me a receipt with a 1yr/12k mile warranty so i took it back and they took a week to rebuild it again. this time it feels like new. sometimes i can feel it hessitate a little from 1st to 2nd but that is expected from a car with 100k on it. so far the car drives great.

Present milage: about 101k miles
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Year/Trim: 04/SL
Symptoms: Hard Shifts, Delay and Bang from R-D & D-R, Slipping when shifting.
Type of fix: Full tranny build
Shop: Level 10 transmissions
Price: $3400 for full build ... shipping included had my buddy do the install for only $400 he hooked me up
Milage Before Fix: 130k miles of abuse
Success Rate: 10 ... holds 400+ft lb tq
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM

taz394, if you have 04SL, I thought it should be a 4speed tranny. The 4speed are not known to have issues except as in your own case they have gone through many "miles of abuse." The 4speed is RE4F04B; while the 5speed is RE5F22A. Which is yours?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry About that guys my 2008 Maxima is going to the dealer and by your experience how much time does it take to get out of the garage at that point?

if i can get few aproximative amount of time that will really satisfy me ( I NEVER DROVE MY CAR YET SO IM REALLY REALLY REALLY not patient )

thanks to anybody who awnser meh!

edit: by the way im new to the forum i dont want to mess up your thread but since you talking about CVT tranny here and i CANT create my own post yet i hope i could get an awnser here

Im from quebec canada sorry my english
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
taz394, if you have 04SL, I thought it should be a 4speed tranny. The 4speed are not known to have issues except as in your own case they have gone through many "miles of abuse." The 4speed is RE4F04B; while the 5speed is RE5F22A. Which is yours?

5 speed auto ...no 4 speed here
Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by taz394
5 speed auto ...no 4 speed here
Yap, you're right. Some 04SL are 5speed.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Year/Trim: 06/SE
Symptoms: Delay and Bang from R-D & D-R, Slipping when shifting.
Type of fix: Full tranny re-build and reman Valve Body, plus new Trans mount, and new torque converter
Shop: City Wide Transmission
Price: $2800 total for Parts and Labor
Warranty : 1 yr or 12K miles
Mileage Before Fix: 84K miles
Success Rate: 10
Current Mileage:110K

Had the work done last summer. After getting car back, bang on shifting from Rev went away. But still had slight bang on 1st and 2nd. Took it back after a month. Found problem to be remanufactured Valve body. Trans shop ordered new valve body from Nissan. SLight bang went away. Been over a year now, and car ride has just been ok with a little hesitation. Just recently changed the Right Front CV shaft at Sears for $179.00, because of tear in cv boots. Car rides perfect now, just like new, no more hesitation. Thinking now maybe I should have replaced this when I had the trans worked on last summer.

Owner at Trans shop did tell me that he worked on another 6th gen Maxima after getting mine all corrected, and had the same problem on another remanufactured Valve Body. He now only uses new Valve bodies from Nissan.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Transgo anyone?

Anyone with the transgo kit installed care to chime in?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 AM

The untold story here - the 6-speed manual trannie is great. Very few problems (clutches do have to be replaced if you drive it far enough). I hope to get to at least 150 K miles before replacing mine.

I have over 120 K miles on my 04 with no problems. Have changed the trannie fluid twice and will again this summer. That is it. I use the trannie to get engine braking every day because my home is about 1000 feet in elevation above the city and the road drops that far in about 4 miles of driving. I still have the original pads on the brakes because of doing engine braking. If I had an auto trannie I would not do engine braking because it is harder on the auto trannie - which from all of the threads I have seen on this forum seems to be a weak link in the drive train of Maximas with them installed.

Don't know why Nissan decided to stop making Maximas with the manual trannie. Will likely have to buy an Altima to get a manual when the time comes to replace my 04.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM

I was hoping or getting ready to start a new thread with a poll for people to vote on whether or not their 6th gens even have a transmission problem. i see all these people talking about how terrible to 6th gen max is because of the transmission but i can't help but think, its the squeeky wheel getting all the attention, not the other 100 wheels that work just fine.

i have a 04 SE with SL options 5AT and my transmission work flawlessly. never had a problem. i bought it at 68k, and its now at 112k

the first thing you hear when someone says i want to get a 6th gen, is "don't because transmission.. blah blah blah" i just don't think this is accurate. i acknowledge there is a prominent issue here and there is a design flaw with the VB but i don't believe this problem is affecting the large majority of 6th gen owners. if it was Nissan would have been forced a very very long time ago to do a recall. but i have a feeling its just a small fraction of owners who actually have some issues.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
I was hoping or getting ready to start a new thread with a poll for people to vote on whether or not their 6th gens even have a transmission problem. i see all these people talking about how terrible to 6th gen max is because of the transmission but i can't help but think, its the squeeky wheel getting all the attention, not the other 100 wheels that work just fine.

i have a 04 SE with SL options 5AT and my transmission work flawlessly. never had a problem. i bought it at 68k, and its now at 112k

the first thing you hear when someone says i want to get a 6th gen, is "don't because transmission.. blah blah blah" i just don't think this is accurate. i acknowledge there is a prominent issue here and there is a design flaw with the VB but i don't believe this problem is affecting the large majority of 6th gen owners. if it was Nissan would have been forced a very very long time ago to do a recall. but i have a feeling its just a small fraction of owners who actually have some issues.

You mean like this? Couldnt find the actual thread here, but this was copied and results were incorporated in to a new poll on the other org. As you can see half of the people are fine. nearly a quarter of the people have issues with their 04 trannies though, and since these were the results a year and a half ago, you can bet the number of replacements and issues have gone up since then.

Maybe only VBs made in a certain location or line were causing the issues which is why some people have no issues and others need a full rebuild, either way people ARE moving forward with class action suits for this.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by serdna
Anyone with the transgo kit installed care to chime in?
1. 3 flushes, All Sonnax parts avail installed with the exception of oversized boost valve, then finally installed the Transgo shift kit
2. success rate of the transgo shift kit is 10. It has been about a year and is still working great.
3. about 8k miles driven since shift kit installed
4. too many to list, read my thread on 5speed tranny issues
5. each flush about 140, sonnax parts I don't remember but want to say 250 parts and 300 labor, Transgo shift kit cost is in my thread.
6. 350 for labor on shift kit install
7. no warrenty on parts except manufacturer, 1 year on labor
8. no lingering symptoms
9. Alltrans of Oahu
10.Aggressive driver
11. I am very happy with the transgo shift kit and would buy again.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
1. 3 flushes, All Sonnax parts avail installed with the exception of oversized boost valve, then finally installed the Transgo shift kit
2. success rate of the transgo shift kit is 10. It has been about a year and is still working great.
3. about 8k miles driven since shift kit installed
4. too many to list, read my thread on 5speed tranny issues
5. each flush about 140, sonnax parts I don't remember but want to say 250 parts and 300 labor, Transgo shift kit cost is in my thread.
6. 350 for labor on shift kit install
7. no warrenty on parts except manufacturer, 1 year on labor
8. no lingering symptoms
9. Alltrans of Oahu
10.Aggressive driver
11. I am very happy with the transgo shift kit and would buy again.

Thanks for the response.

I have an 06', I have been having symptoms that sound exactly like what most people are having, and that the transgo kit is supposed to remedy. I bought the transgo kit, however, finding a shop here in Albuquerque to install it is another story. Most shops won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and transgo's instructions are very detailed. I've been as far as having my car up on stands, all the tools laid out and ready to tackle the job and then wussed out cause I don't want to make it go from limping to dead as I have read has happened to a few people.

I keep doing drain and fills and it shifts great for a little while but then goes right back to it's shifty ways.