6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

MAGNAFLOW 14805 MUFFLERS- MAGNAFLOW 12640 RESONATOR=FAILLLLL

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 PM

MAGNAFLOW 14805 MUFFLERS- MAGNAFLOW 12640 RESONATOR=FAILLLLL

so i decided to do what one of the member did, and to be honest not happy with the setup. i mena it sounds good but drone is crazy. idk what to do now. i cant stand cabin noise, so now im really pissed.

i have vid that ill upload, (DRONE DRONE DRONE )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc7NqiEQAMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MwEUrMG4Po
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To8IzY-vq4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM2Tri3hryc

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393856...edan-4d/page-2

FINAL exhaust wit extra resonator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWdD_jtIIKk

Last edited by Hv10688; 09-23-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Much smaller resonator.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Much smaller resonator.
i thought its the mufflers thats causing the drone??
u think anything can be done now to block the drone.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hv10688
i thought its the mufflers thats causing the drone??
u think anything can be done now to block the drone.
you can't have that volume exhaust without drone. not unless you tear out all the carpet and dynomat the entire shell of your car. and insulate the piping with a turbo diaper.

keeping a stock resonator keeps the car too quiet. just changes the tone. so you have to choose.

or you can instal a cutoff valve and choose when you want your car loud or quiet.

lastly, you have a cvt. people with gears can play around to avoid those droning rpms.

unfortunatly you can't do anything to stop it. other than getting a new resonator and trying again.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
you can't have that volume exhaust without drone. not unless you tear out all the carpet and dynomat the entire shell of your car. and insulate the piping with a turbo diaper.

keeping a stock resonator keeps the car too quiet. just changes the tone. so you have to choose.

or you can instal a cutoff valve and choose when you want your car loud or quiet.

lastly, you have a cvt. people with gears can play around to avoid those droning rpms.

unfortunatly you can't do anything to stop it. other than getting a new resonator and trying again.
yeah man its just at low rpm when its about 6-80 then when i for faster i dont hear anything. but the funny thing is one of the memeber has the same thing and he said he doesnt get any drone???. so is it my exhaust???
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 AM

yeah man its just at low rpm when its about 6-80 then when i for faster i dont hear anything. but the funny thing is one of the memeber has the same thing and he said he doesnt get any drone???. so is it my exhaust???
WOW OMG, that sounds NOTHING like my setup. If you are running the same parts then something is clearly wrong. And twentyeggs is not all correct again either as I know what I am running. My car sounds much deeper than stock and do not notice a difference inside the car. Even when I am driving "Normal" my intake produces more sound than my exhaust. Again, something is CLEARLY wrong, installed wrong, or even defective!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mvodnansky
WOW OMG, that sounds NOTHING like my setup. If you are running the same parts then something is clearly wrong. And twentyeggs is not all correct again either as I know what I am running. My car sounds much deeper than stock and do not notice a difference inside the car. Even when I am driving "Normal" my intake produces more sound than my exhaust. Again, something is CLEARLY wrong, installed wrong, or even defective!
if your set up is the exact same and doesn't do that, meaning the aftermarket resonator is enough to muffle the sound, then my only guess is whoever put your system together didn't do it right. meaning he welded the pipes so that they are touching your car and transferring the vibrations into the cabin making the drone.

its been my experience that with every car there is a certain resonant frequency. it doesn't take much volume to hit that pitch and the whole car resonates (drones). the maxima is very insulated. but if any section of your exhaust is touching a solid part of your car it could be the reason. if not, then i don't know what to say other than you need a better resonator.

what diameter piping did you go with. and is that the same diameter as the other set ups your mimicking?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM

OP maybe you should look at the setup up the member your trying to "copy" and your setup What you thought just because you threw on the same resonator and muffler as someone else that your car will sound the same???

If its not some kind of exact catback system thats made by the same company (like cattman, nismo, etc) its not going to sound the same on different cars just because you threw on the same mufflers and resonator.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM

if your set up is the exact same and doesn't do that, meaning the aftermarket resonator is enough to muffle the sound, then my only guess is whoever put your system together didn't do it right. meaning he welded the pipes so that they are touching your car and transferring the vibrations into the cabin making the drone.

its been my experience that with every car there is a certain resonant frequency. it doesn't take much volume to hit that pitch and the whole car resonates (drones). the maxima is very insulated. but if any section of your exhaust is touching a solid part of your car it could be the reason. if not, then i don't know what to say other than you need a better resonator.

what diameter piping did you go with. and is that the same diameter as the other set ups your mimicking?
The fact that it could be touching like this is likely as well. Twentyeggs actually is right on this. If all things are equal to mine then we know something is clearly wrong with yours. My mechanic had to do a special weld on the resonator on the connecting towards the rear of the car. If he didn't do this weld the resonator would be laying on the cross member beam under the car. It is difficult to explain but you can clearly see the weld in my original thread showing all the pictures. Basically, the first thing I would do is check for leaks, but most importantly make sure the exhaust does not have any contact with the car underneath.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM

its exaxctly like yours i didnt do anything different, and i also have the same intake too (r2c). how could i tell if its defective???
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

its exaxctly like yours i didnt do anything different, and i also have the same intake too (r2c). how could i tell if its defective???
Well you have the same car as me and same exhaust. I would definetly just check for leaks first or if exhaust is touching anything when under all RPMS's. Sooo weird!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Well you have the same car as me and same exhaust. I would definetly just check for leaks first or if exhaust is touching anything when under all RPMS's. Sooo weird!!!
yeah idk how to check for leaks??
and ill def make sure if its touch or not, but for some reason when i had factory exhaust like the tone use to change like it would make different sound when it was 2-3 and after that normal. idk if thats normal.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM

WOW!!! That seems like it would get really annoying. I have cattman mufflers & straight pipes in place of the resonator & mine doesn't drone nearly that loud.

I bet it sounds mean to other drivers though...
Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Wowww
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPrime
Wowww
haha......People getting defensive. I say the louder the pipes, the more cabin noise, right? my auto cvt sounds fine. yes, it is a little louder in the cabin from my ebay knock-offs, but it is pretty un-noticable. I don't hear it too often, because i usually have the stereo cranked anyhow....
Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by dee.signs
haha......People getting defensive. I say the louder the pipes, the more cabin noise, right? my auto cvt sounds fine. yes, it is a little louder in the cabin from my ebay knock-offs, but it is pretty un-noticable. I don't hear it too often, because i usually have the stereo cranked anyhow....
hahaha ???? Who here is getting defensive? The guy is trying to figure out a legitimate issue and people are trying to help. So who is being defensive???? haha???
Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPrime
Wowww
You are like damn near 85-90mph to get out of the drone zone..or I might be wrong....
Old 09-16-2011, 06:51 PM

that is freaking crazy loud, i would kick a baby if i had to keep hearing that, LMAO. something is not right, if someone else has that set up and theirs dont do it, and all the parts are the same then something is not installed correctly. You know there two ways to install a res. I am not familiar with which res you have but some of them can actually be installed backwards and thus making it louder. Now I am no expert but i have seen thread about it on other forums

good luck
Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by HMAX08
that is freaking crazy loud, i would kick a baby if i had to keep hearing that, LMAO. something is not right, if someone else has that set up and theirs dont do it, and all the parts are the same then something is not installed correctly. You know there two ways to install a res. I am not familiar with which res you have but some of them can actually be installed backwards and thus making it louder. Now I am no expert but i have seen thread about it on other forums

good luck
tell me about it lol, i mean its sounds good from outside inside i feel like im in dodge viper lol. but now im gonna try some stuff probably block my trunk so i dont get any cabin noise. idk what to do at this point. and my resonator is straight thru i mean it cant be wrong sice both sides are same.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM

an exhaust leak wouldn't make a drone noise. an exhaust leak sounds like someone buzzing and blowing air through a soda straw. they are very quiet. your problem is the the sound is too loud, or your pipes are resting up against a solid part of the car. also, cheap exhaust systems like magna flow are NOT all going to sound the same. they should should similar, and shouldn't be so different that someone gets horrible cabin noise while the other doesn't.. my guess is they boxed the wrong model resonator and you have something different than what you ordered. mistakes do happen...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM

an exhaust leak wouldn't make a drone noise. an exhaust leak sounds like someone buzzing and blowing air through a soda straw. they are very quiet. your problem is the the sound is too loud, or your pipes are resting up against a solid part of the car. also, cheap exhaust systems like magna flow are NOT all going to sound the same. they should should similar, and shouldn't be so different that someone gets horrible cabin noise while the other doesn't.. my guess is they boxed the wrong model resonator and you have something different than what you ordered. mistakes do happen...
While I DO agree mistakes happen, Magnaflow is not a cheap product. It is a quality product! Especially when you compare it to ebay crap or whatever. Anyway, that isn't the point. I agree that the system is clearly making some kind of contact with the vehicle to make that kind of noise. That would be the logical answer. Second, while I highly doubt it, maybe you really are NOT running the same resonator as me? Whether it is a mistake, or faulty, I just do not know. I wish I had more help but if you are running what I am running and the install is correct and nothing is touching everything should be great! And you have a 2007 like me as well! There aren't any missing variables that I can see so there is something wrong. My first reaction would be to go back to the mechanic, check for leaks and contact to the car, and find that somewhere someone screwed up!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:58 PM

take it back to the muffler shop and ask them to check for any leaks. i had a leak when i had my 3rd gen that caused it to drone a bit. it was quieter after the muffler shop re-welded the resonator to the rest of the system.

also keep in mind that some people can tolerate a bit more drone than others, sooooo an exhaust note may seem ok for some, but loud to others.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
take it back to the muffler shop and ask them to check for any leaks. i had a leak when i had my 3rd gen that caused it to drone a bit. it was quieter after the muffler shop re-welded the resonator to the rest of the system.

also keep in mind that some people can tolerate a bit more drone than others, sooooo an exhaust note may seem ok for some, but loud to others.

yeah one of the member has the same set up and he said its like stock. which is what i wanted. he also has a vid and he has done lot of research and ended up wit mags set up, and it sounds perfect. i just think that the shop messed up the res part. thanks man
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by aarong0921
WOW!!! That seems like it would get really annoying. I have cattman mufflers & straight pipes in place of the resonator & mine doesn't drone nearly that loud.

I bet it sounds mean to other drivers though...
lol sounds like a viper from inside and outside deep
Old 09-17-2011, 04:38 AM

tell me about it lol, i mean its sounds good from outside inside i feel like im in dodge viper lol. but now im gonna try some stuff probably block my trunk so i dont get any cabin noise. idk what to do at this point. and my resonator is straight thru i mean it cant be wrong sice both sides are same.

Still crazy, when i say the resanator is installed backwards, its the inside you have to look at, its the chambers and they direction they face. You cant tell from the outside you have to look inside. I hope you understand what i mean.

Keep us posted on what the shop says
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 PM

I think they put the res. Backwards bro
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 PM

I have the exact setup. Too much drone with one resonator. Added a second and now it is perfect imo.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 PM

exhaust

so after all the running i added another resonator, and its perfect now. not that much drone. i wonder if just switching mufflers would give the deep tone.??????? ill post the vid of the final exhaust.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM

so after all the running i added another resonator, and its perfect now. not that much drone. i wonder if just switching mufflers would give the deep tone.??????? ill post the vid of the final exhaust.
Where did you add an another res.? Can you put any pics up im going with the same setup
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Lets see both of your setups. If you guys have the same setups and same year model then either one of your guys system is wrong. help others out by posting some pics and video's
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deep007
Lets see both of your setups. If you guys have the same setups and same year model then either one of your guys system is wrong. help others out by posting some pics and video's
I have already created a thread showing pictures, installation, and a quick video. I have the same 2007, as well as the same model numbers of all 3 Magnaflow mufflers.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM

I have already created a thread showing pictures, installation, and a quick video. I have the same 2007, as well as the same model numbers of all 3 Magnaflow mufflers.
any im cabin video?-
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM

any in cabin video?-
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM

any in cabin video?-
No, But I will take some audio with my iphone at least and post it when I do so there is a least some reference on this thread for everyone.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

im from ct as well. i seen in one of your videos while you were on I95 you slowed down right were the troopers are speed checking at lol. maybe we could meet so i can check out your setup. it does drone alot from the videos
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Pics

hey guys so i uploded the pics i also have a pic of my old exhaust. EBAY catback.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 PM

No, But I will take some audio with my iphone at least and post it when I do so there is a least some reference on this thread for everyone.
Yes please
Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM

hey guys so i uploded the pics i also have a pic of my old exhaust. EBAY catback.
not gonna lie bro but i think it still alot for two res. I have my ebay catback with an 22" magnaflow res. and on highway i dont hear that much of sound (hmmmmmmmm'n sound). Im 100% sure when i put the magnaflow muffers its not gonna be loud as catback. Idk it might be your camera too. I do hear alot of wind noise too

Last edited by Deep007; 09-23-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 AM

exhaust

not gonna lie bro but i think it still alot for two res. I have my ebay catback with an 22" magnaflow res. and on highway i dont hear that much of sound (hmmmmmmmm'n sound). Im 100% sure when i put the magnaflow muffers its not gonna be loud as catback. Idk it might be your camera too. I do hear alot of wind noise too
well now i think about it, i should have just switched the factory mufflers with ebay. cuz all i wanted was sound thats it. yeah u r right it might me phone cuz thats what i use to record the vid.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM

well now i think about it, i should have just switched the factory mufflers with ebay. cuz all i wanted was sound thats it. yeah u r right it might me phone cuz thats what i use to record the vid.

i don't think you can install the stock mufflers on the ebay catback. it was gonna create back pressure. i have the ebay catback with magnaflow res. and also magnaflow res. but not sure what to do now. lol

Quick Reply: MAGNAFLOW 14805 MUFFLERS- MAGNAFLOW 12640 RESONATOR=FAILLLLL