6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Osiris Uprev questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Osiris Uprev questions

Hey, guys. I'm currently pursuing getting an Osiris Uprev tune. I've been searching on here, but haven't found that many 6th ges with it done. I called Corr Performance here in my city and they noted that Osiris has maps for the 2004 and 2006 Maximas but not 2005. That's odd. Furthermore, they noted I would need a Cipher cable to pull the ECU product number so they can see if my ECU can even be flashed. Here's the original email after sending him my specs.

"Talking to my distributor of UPrev, he is telling me that the only sure fire way to know if another ROM from a different year works on that ECU is to get the ECU part number by using the consult cable. The issue is that you don’t have a Consult cable and I don’t as well since when I get the cable I usually sell it to the client that reflashes the car. Unless you want to get a Cipher/Consult cable and from there one can just upgrade to the Osiris if need be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 3:50 PM
To: acorrea@corrperformance.com
Subject: 2005 Maxima

List of performance mods on maxima

1. Cattman Headers

2. Unorthodox Racing underdrive crank Pulley

3. R2C air intake

4. Cattman Y-pipe

5. Magnaflow mufflers, stock B-pipe

6. NWP Phenolic spacers for throttle body and manifold

7. NWP block off plate for VIAS removal

8. JET MAF sensor

9. Cattman Hi-flow exhaust catalytic converter

VIN# 1N4BA41E25C874191"

I'm thinking the Cipher cable is an unecessary expense if the ECU indeed can be flashed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I currently have codes as a result of the Cattman headers. Would adjusting the A/F ratio with the Osiris Uprev and the tune take care of the codes? I plan on doing the standard $500 option. One last question. Will the JET MAF sensor interfere with the tune. I think I remember Chern saying something about it, but he had the Technosquare ECU at the time.

Last edited by athlon omega; 08-31-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:12 PM

I also plan on doing dyno runs before and after the tune.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Hey man,

I had mine done here locally after calling a few different shops and let me tell you that it was a battle. One shop "that shall remain nameless" actually told me they do NOT even know what UpRev is or what I'm even talking about!! (they were the 1st ones on the list....)

After a few hits and misses, I was able to locate one shop that was able to do the UpRev Osiris Standard w/ Cipher ECU reflash. I clearly remember asking them if the Osiris pckg is for 04-06 Maximas as my buddy has a 05 and they did state yes.

As for the Cipher cable, I think that was included in my packg price which was north of $500....

Hope this helps man
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by the macedonian
Hey man,

I had mine done here locally after calling a few different shops and let me tell you that it was a battle. One shop "that shall remain nameless" actually told me they do NOT even know what UpRev is or what I'm even talking about!! (they were the 1st ones on the list....)

After a few hits and misses, I was able to locate one shop that was able to do the UpRev Osiris Standard w/ Cipher ECU reflash. I clearly remember asking them if the Osiris pckg is for 04-06 Maximas as my buddy has a 05 and they did state yes.

As for the Cipher cable, I think that was included in my packg price which was north of $500....

Hope this helps man

what shop did you go to?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by the macedonian
Hey man,

Hope this helps man
That helps a lot. Thanks! I'm thinking they misread the 04-06 maxima indications and thought it was just those 2 years which would be odd.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:41 PM

You should be good to go with the '05... I had an early-ECU '04 and my car wasn't supported, so there was no way I could get a tune. lol
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

If your car is not on the UpRev support matrix its still possible your car is compatible.

What has to be done

1- find out your ecu part number. This is tricky but the cipher cable can easily tell you what your ecu part number is. If you have yet to purchase cipher/ osiris try and find a shop/someone with a chipher cable.

2- with ecu part number see if its on the matrix, if not email uprev. If you have your own cipher cable then they can enable "ecu Dump" this copys the ecu info you then email it to uprev, they can see if its compatible and add it to the list.

Personally ive Dumped 2 ecu's that was not on the list, they patched the roms and now they are supported. I currently have a 04 max ecu that im trying to sell. I have uprev roms for it also.

Nissan really makes ECU part numbers a HUGE PAIN, there is nothing on the ecu itself that shows the real nissan part number.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11
what shop did you go to?
local one in Toronto Canada - Advance Powerhouse; nice guys, very professional.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 AM

Update:
So I finally got a ROM from Osiris, but the tuners reached a problem. They keep getting an ECU ROM error when trying to flash the ECU. They troubleshooted the problem and decided that they would move one of the pins on the bottom row of the OBDII socket to the top row of the socket; there are two rows of pins. They noted this would allow the OBDII to be readable and take the ROM. It had taken UpRev like 2 months to do the ROM. Any thoughts? I don't know if anyone ran into this problem before. On another note, I currently have the JET MAF sensor on the car. Could this be interfering? The tuners didn't think it would be. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by athlon omega
Update:
So I finally got a ROM from Osiris, but the tuners reached a problem. They keep getting an ECU ROM error when trying to flash the ECU. They troubleshooted the problem and decided that they would move one of the pins on the bottom row of the OBDII socket to the top row of the socket; there are two rows of pins. They noted this would allow the OBDII to be readable and take the ROM. It had taken UpRev like 2 months to do the ROM. Any thoughts? I don't know if anyone ran into this problem before. On another note, I currently have the JET MAF sensor on the car. Could this be interfering? The tuners didn't think it would be. Thanks for the input guys.

You probably need a special version of osiris to flash the roms. I ran into the issue with a maxima ecu i had.

Email uprev give them the error code, and they will tell you to use that version or not.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Also see what version they are using. There is a 350/G35 version as well as a Sentra version. When I had my Altima tuned I ran into a very similar issue. After using the Sentra version it took and was able to be tuned. The tuner needed to have access granted to the Sentra version and Jared at UPREV helped the tuner with that.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dzaccord
Also see what version they are using. There is a 350/G35 version as well as a Sentra version. When I had my Altima tuned I ran into a very similar issue. After using the Sentra version it took and was able to be tuned. The tuner needed to have access granted to the Sentra version and Jared at UPREV helped the tuner with that.
Thanks, guys. Do you mean the Sentra version of the ROM or the Sentra version of an OBDII connector?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

the sentra / altima/ maxima version of osiris program that actually flashes roms.

The blue osiris icon ahah
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
the sentra / altima/ maxima version of osiris program that actually flashes roms.

Cool deal. I'll let the tuner know.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by SurraTT

x2
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM

I'd like to eventually get this going on my car. I think it would replace my SAFCII right?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Apollos2
I'd like to eventually get this going on my car. I think it would replace my SAFCII right?
Definitely.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Turbo 3.5

switching the pins is common for the earlier ecu's, revup even have diy instructions on their website
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM

From my email to UPREV last week...
"We do not have base tunes for the Maxima at this time. We should be able to support the 2004 model, you should check the ECU connector itself, if it is rounded edge then we can support it. If it is squared off edges on the connector we cannot support it.
You should check our Dealer page to locate a Pro Tuner near you, they will be able to get you taken care of."

Rich-

I did find a dealer in my area said he can get me Osiris tune and dyno for $650. So I'll probably get done once ypipe comes off back order from racingline.

Last edited by 7speed; 04-23-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Hmmm, my 2005 was actually built in 2004. (bought in 11/2004). We finally got a dealer here in Colorado, so I may be ditching the SAFCII soon and get the Uprev tune.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is the shop just a dealer or a protuner? Big difference, I've found that most of the dealers don't know what they're talking about at all.. they just resell they stuff and are pretty worthless when it comes to support.

Its amazing the amount of misinformation floating around from shops that don't know what they're doing. You can see exactly what years/ecus are supported as of today by going to uprev's site and looking at the "rom support matrix" under support, it will list every supported ecu part #, as well as the make model and year of the car it came out of. If you're looking into getting uprev, I highly recommend getting the tuner version so you have access to everything yourself, if not you're going to be tethered to the shop or uprev everytime you want to make a little change... and they like to nickel and dime you.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Update on my Uprev tune from the tuners. I'd really appreciate any input. Looks like they're at a tricky roadblock.
"Well Obih, as per the pictures I sent you the other day we got to the OBD2 connector and were about to do the install of the wires to make the reflash, but we hit a roadblock after 2hrs of work. The instructions from UPREV indicated us to populate 2 slots that were supposed to be vacant on the plug, but they were occupied. We can not take those 2 wires from there and occupy them with the new ones since we would not know were the previous wires that are present are going to go after that. So we are stuck at the moment. I have sent a email to the guys at uprev helping me to let them know where we are at currently. To me honestly it points to a conclusion, since the next step is a bit more drastic and if we use that beta software to reflash and the reflash does not go 100% it has a chance to brick the ECU and then you have a dead car.

I am waiting to see what they tell me from uprev and also told them that if there is chance to mess the ECU I rather get refunded for the Osiris Tuner.

Have a nice day and let me know what you think of all this,"
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Didn't think there would be such an issue with flashing our cars with Osiris Uprev
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

So, you have a pro-tuner?

As I've always said in the past, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

I would get the software, load it on my CPU, and start tuning.

Pricey, yes, will you save by not having a shop do it, yes. I think it's called the eTune option. Which is based off of your logs.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
So, you have a pro-tuner?

As I've always said in the past, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

I would get the software, load it on my CPU, and start tuning.

Pricey, yes, will you save by not having a shop do it, yes. I think it's called the eTune option. Which is based off of your logs.
I hear ya. The only thing is that they were having problems writing to the ECU, so that's why they went ahead and tried to require the OBDII connector an move the pins around since uprev recommended they do that.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 AM

Strange, I see other 6th gens have done it, I wonder what the deal is?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Strange, I see other 6th gens have done it, I wonder what the deal is?
Yeah. I wonder too. They said they have a friend at one of the Nissan dealerships who has the core ECU control unit and can most likely delete the A/F codes I'm getting from the headers and advance the timing a degree or two. So we'll go that route
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Well I'm saving up for my tune. NmexMax, you familiar with MAC Auto up here in Denver?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

Well I'm saving up for my tune. NmexMax, you familiar with MAC Auto up here in Denver?
No, not familiar. They reputable? They do OSIRUS tuning?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get the racingline precats to replace the Cattman headers in order to correct these A/F sensor codes. The codes are definitely from the header install 2 years ago since they instantly came up right after install. I'll most definitely lose some hp going the precat route I think. Or should I look into getting an Apexi A/F controller module and keep the headers?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by athlon omega
I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get the racingline precats to replace the Cattman headers in order to correct these A/F sensor codes. The codes are definitely from the header install 2 years ago since they instantly came up right after install. I'll most definitely lose some hp going the precat route I think. Or should I look into getting an Apexi A/F controller module and keep the headers?
I wouldn't ever downgrade from headers.

What is your WOT AFR now? If you already have OSIRUS, there's no reason to go with any sort of AFC now.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Don't remember if you tried o2 sims?
But if all else fails we can do even trade.........cattman headers for my racingline HFC
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I wouldn't ever downgrade from headers.

What is your WOT AFR now? If you already have OSIRUS, there's no reason to go with any sort of AFC now.
My bad. Don't know how I missed these updates. THe Osirus didn't work with my ECU for some reason. There were two pins on the OBDII connector that prevented the techs from writing to the ECU. I ended up getting a technosquare ECU but the CEL for A/F ratio is still there. The AFR reads at 1.66 versus the working OEM of 1.48 when revved. I'm basically running on one bank and rich on the other bank; I think Bank1 sensor 2 and Bank 2 sensor 1.

@7speed: How do you like your racingline HFC? I'd definitely offer you the Cattman headers, but the rear header has been welded twice over due to the it getting cracked when the y-pipe would get hit after bottoming out on two occasions.