6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Turbo in max not worth it....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Turbo in max not worth it....

So i ever since i saw churnmax's car i have been wanting to put in a turbo. Money isn't the issue here but time is. Im pretty busy most of the time. I have a break in 4 month leaving me a window to get it done. my budget is 7 grand and i think i can get it in a tuned for that.

Then, i came across a video of a 0-60 time in a turbo max......

it was slower than a N/A max with full bolt ons... so i don't get it.. usually turbos see gains in performance by 30-50%. which should shave off at least a full second off that 0-60 for us. but 0-60 for the turbo max was still 6 seconds. for 7 grand i can't see spending it on a mod that wont transform my car.

does anyone have any input? Churn are you out there? what were the gains you got? what PSI do you run?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM

There is nothing to get except that car you are speaking of is junk and not set up properly for forced air induction. It is no easy task to turbo a Max, which I am sure Chernmax will reiterate. He did cause he loves his car.

If you are looking for just a fast car...there are far easier ways of accomplishing that goal than turboing your Max. Anyhoo, if you are still on board with your car, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
There is nothing to get except that car you are speaking of is junk and not set up properly for forced air induction. It is no easy task to turbo a Max, which I am sure Chernmax will reiterate. He did cause he loves his car.

If you are looking for just a fast car...there are far easier ways of accomplishing that goal than turboing your Max. Anyhoo, if you are still on board with your car, good luck and keep us posted.
....it was churnmax's car that did the 0-60 run... i was expecting 5-5.5 second 0-60 but i can count 7 with my stop watch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltNXlWmQovE

im not knockin churns max in the least bit, his car is absolutely NOT junk. i would go as far to say he has THE best maxima in the world. but given we have fwd we are limited in our ability to launch. i was just not impressed by the maxima's performance and i fear that i have already outgrown the maxima.

I love to work on cars and power gets me horny but i think there is a glass ceiling with our cars unless we do major work and in that case for the money i'd rather buy an evo or audi s4 or s6. but then i would not be driving around a sleeper which is what gives me the giggles.

i guess i was always just happy that there would always be something i can do to make my car faster, (the deadly cycle for a gearhead) but now that i can see an unsatisfying end im upset.

Last edited by revvinMAXto11; 08-31-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

The 6th gen is just damn heavy thats what the probelm is .....
Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Less than 200 pounds more than 5.5 gen and Clashez is complaining about the 6th gen.....again!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Come on clashez, behave.

OP,
1.) 0-60 isn't mean much its dyno #'s or better yet track times.
2.) Sometimes that is the case, if the turbo set-up isn't optimal, it's going to suck.
3.) Krazy6 runs times faster than cars with more mods than his because of his aero set-up and driving skill
4.) A mods worth is what it is to you, not the next guy's track times, etc.
5.) If you know what you're doing, you will be faster/higher numbers than the next guy
6.) Link to said video and quantitative evidence of alleged comparison of full bolt on A34 vs turbo A34?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM

Well, yeah, the Max is never gonna be super car. You would have to cut some serious weight, and do some serious mods, to get under 6s. The car, as some have already alluded to, is a pig and it is pretty hard to get around that if you are going to use it as a daily driver.

Anyhoo, the new CTS-V is pretty sweet: 0-60 in 3.9s. Maybe that, or something like it, is something you should look at. Maybe even a GT-R. There are probably some nice 1st Gen for sale now
Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitrals
Less than 200 pounds more than 5.5 gen and Clashez is complaining about the 6th gen.....again!
200 pounds is a lot, lets put a 200 pound fat women on your back and see how fast you can run..... seriously
Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Come on clashez, behave.
I am
Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
200 pounds is a lot, lets put a 200 pound fat women on your back and see how fast you can run..... seriously

I am
my car weighs less than a 5.5... so your point is irrelevant..
Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Save up for a G35/37... Then a GTM S/C or TT.

Last edited by Oolatec; 09-02-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Terrentius
I agree. Biggest gripe is the engine management he went with. He should have went with Uprev and had the ecu reflashed since the 6th gen ecu is capable of having that done.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 AM

the only reason his track time was so low was for the fact he wasnt launching hard. like others said he did it just because he loved the car and could do it. so he's not trying to destroy what took him forever to build just for a quick time. plus he was on street tires.

if im not mistaken also had a full interior include a full sized spare.

imo it seems like you want to see quick numbers and you have a good amount you can spend. why don't you do headers, nitrious kit, tune and call it a day. there was a guy (Kevin R.I.P) who was doing 12.9 at a track with his auto 6th gen. all he was doing was spraying and had a intake and exhaust. go that route if anything to get good numbers
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM

you have 7 grand to spend ?, then I say sell/trade your maxima and get a platform car that was meant for a sports car.

guys on this forum doesn't build a turbo Maxima for you , you have no idea what is involved in building a turbo car (PROPERLY) just to go thrash the car in a drag strip to show you guys what the car can or CANT do.

torque is the #1 killer in FWD car , and im sure Chern or myself is not going to go out there and thrash a 6thgen and start breaking parts.

Dyno #'s don't mean anything on a track if you don't have traction and put it to the ground

Like others said Chern built the car because he enjoyed it , and wanted a little more of it, everyone wants to go fast ! but who is willing to spend that much amount to only to break it at the track ?

if your a real gear head / motor head then you wouldnt be using the 6thgen maxima is a platform to achieve this.

there are very few guys in the 6th gen section that are dedicated to the performance of the car and yet retain the luxury of a family car.

sometimes I must ask everyone in the 6th gen section ,

"When you purchase the Maxima did you say to yourself , imma make it a race car ? "

99.9% of you guys would say NO , it's not like you envision the Maxima to be some sport compact car, along the way you started added little mods.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
you have 7 grand to spend ?, then I say sell/trade your maxima and get a platform car that was meant for a sports car.

guys on this forum doesn't build a turbo Maxima for you , you have no idea what is involved in building a turbo car (PROPERLY) just to go thrash the car in a drag strip to show you guys what the car can or CANT do.

torque is the #1 killer in FWD car , and im sure Chern or myself is not going to go out there and thrash a 6thgen and start breaking parts.

Dyno #'s don't mean anything on a track if you don't have traction and put it to the ground

Like others said Chern built the car because he enjoyed it , and wanted a little more of it, everyone wants to go fast ! but who is willing to spend that much amount to only to break it at the track ?

if your a real gear head / motor head then you wouldnt be using the 6thgen maxima is a platform to achieve this.

there are very few guys in the 6th gen section that are dedicated to the performance of the car and yet retain the luxury of a family car.

sometimes I must ask everyone in the 6th gen section ,

"When you purchase the Maxima did you say to yourself , imma make it a race car ? "

99.9% of you guys would say NO , it's not like you envision the Maxima to be some sport compact car, along the way you started added little mods.
yeah i agree. the reason i bought the maxima is because i like driving sleepers around. The maxima doesn't look fast, nor does it get a lot of publicity, but truth is for a mid size sedan it is fast. thus the reason i bought it. i've already decided to save my money and buy another car that has the ability to achieve numbers in the 400-500 range and put it down.

Thanks for all the input, i guess i just wanted to share my disappointment i guess, ill go buy an AWD car with a v8 and spend my money on that in a few years. there is a lot more room to grow with a v8 anyways.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11
yeah i agree. the reason i bought the maxima is because i like driving sleepers around. The maxima doesn't look fast, nor does it get a lot of publicity, but truth is for a mid size sedan it is fast. thus the reason i bought it. i've already decided to save my money and buy another car that has the ability to achieve numbers in the 400-500 range and put it down.

Thanks for all the input, i guess i just wanted to share my disappointment i guess, ill go buy an AWD car with a v8 and spend my money on that in a few years. there is a lot more room to grow with a v8 anyways.
AWD v8 ? do tell ...
Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
AWD v8 ? do tell ...
like an audi s5 or m56 non awd cars like a cts, m3,

i think the audi has the best room for improvement by going with forced induction. their quattro engines respond very well to F/I and they have great awd systems. the only problem is the s5 look like a crazy fast car and most people willing to have a little fun from 0-60 at a light won't touch me with a 10 foot poll. around where i live the speed limits are all 55mph so i don't break the speed limit, but i will get there as fast as possible. If i haven't won the race by 60 mph either i messed up or lost fair and square. you don't have to break the law to have fun.

which is why i tried to go with something like the max. but this is my first fwd car and the first time i realized how impractical it is to add so much power to it. i was mislead when i test drove the colbalt ss and a stage two srt-4 (piece of freaking crap btw) and i didn't wanna go with rwd because i didn't wanna deal with sliding all over the place in hard acceleration and thought torque steer was more manageable. while it is, and easier to control (yea im that lazy) you can't lay down the power.

so i've decided to still work on the maxima for now (no f/i), and give it to one of my kids when they are old enough for a first car. its still a great car and ill never sell it. had a lot of good times in it thus far. spreading the word and fear of the maxima to rice owners one day at a time.

Last edited by revvinMAXto11; 09-03-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Gram Lights addict

please dont waste 7 grand into a maxima to go turbo. you wont be happy. your car will still be slow, it wont get traction and would still handle like ****. go get a used wrx and spend 2 grand on mods and hit 12's
Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
please dont waste 7 grand into a maxima to go turbo. you wont be happy. your car will still be slow, it wont get traction and would still handle like ****. go get a used wrx and spend 2 grand on mods and hit 12's
exactly!! so disappointing!! but hey it is an awesome daily drive and grocery getter. fun to work on anyways. At the least its a mustang killer...
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 AM

WRX's are so over rated. Have fun breaking transmissions all day!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by krazy6
have you ever personally driven an sti? its something you need to experience before you knock it.. i would never buy one, they are too small. they look like toys to me. but they are fun as hell to drive, i guarantee excitement when you put your foot down in a corner.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Gram Lights addict

yeah thats why there are 500,600,700AWHP ones running around,because they are over rated. I'm sure your maxima is bullet proof, you can mod it to 600FWD and would never have any transmission, axle or chassis problems

have you ever personally driven an sti? its something you need to experience before you knock it.. i would never buy one, they are too small. they look like toys to me. but they are fun as hell to drive, i guarantee excitement when you put your foot down in a corner.
absolute blast to drive. i love every second of driving these things and would love to have one. only thing is that it will bring me, lots, and lots, and lots of trouble !
Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM

im almost certain my turbo car was slower than an NA car from 0-60, afterwords thou......not even close.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 AM

He did not specify an STI. Those are quite a bit better than the regular wrx.
I've driven and rode in high hp subarus. All the owners got rid of the car because they had problems.
yeah thats why there are 500,600,700AWHP ones running around,because they are over rated. I'm sure your maxima is bullet proof, you can mod it to 600FWD and would never have any transmission, axle or chassis problems

absolute blast to drive. i love every second of driving these things and would love to have one. only thing is that it will bring me, lots, and lots, and lots of trouble !
I guarantee they are not running the stock 5spd. You also said with 2k in mods. Good luck making 500,600,700AWHP with that little money.

You can make any car fast with the right amount of money. Look at the aftermarket for subarus. Not too hard to make power if you have money.

Please stop posting now. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM

I've driven and rode in high hp subarus. All the owners got rid of the car because they had problems.

I guarantee they are not running the stock 5spd. You also said with 2k in mods. Good luck making 500,600,700AWHP with that little money.

You can make any car fast with the right amount of money. Look at the aftermarket for subarus. Not too hard to make power if you have money.

did you even READ this thread???

and yeah you are right, subarus are known for their transmissions failing. basically when you know your going to soup up a wrx its a given that you will be upgrading the transmission. also sti's are not better platforms to work on than a wrx. buying an sti for a modder is like buying a maxima already modded with ****ty ebay parts. you can do better..
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Gram Lights addict

clearly they aren't running stock 5spd. but your argument was that they are over rated. no you cant hit 500whp with 2 grand but you can pick up a **** load of whp with it. you tell me to stop posting? LOL you hardly bring any argument to the table bro. any car with tons of mods is less reliable. what is it that we're suppose to conlcude from your post again?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
The original VQ...

Maximas are nice cars and fun to drive, and look great aswell.

But if your looking to make serious power and haul *** your in the wrong car. Spending 5-10k on a Turbo kit is not worth it, fun and cool , but not worth it....

I wouldnt buy a WRX , but everyone has thier own opionion and thats a different topic.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM

clearly they aren't running stock 5spd. but your argument was that they are over rated. no you cant hit 500whp with 2 grand but you can pick up a **** load of whp with it. you tell me to stop posting? LOL you hardly bring any argument to the table bro. any car with tons of mods is less reliable. what is it that we're suppose to conlcude from your post again?
They are over rated. Everyone that has one think they are hot ****. The transmissions suck and the motors don't handle any power without a lot of work.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They are over rated. Everyone that has one think they are hot ****. The transmissions suck and the motors don't handle any power without a lot of work.
Sorry I beg to differ.

I had a 2006 WRX Limited 380HP 377TQ on a 20G turbo with no motor work done and no tranny work done only clutch.

I also had a 2008 STI the motor blew with a ****ty tune with a GT30R and the motor was built. ( Blew up right after tuner tuned me after my initial motor/turbo break in period )

I also had a 2011 WRX I just sold and it has a solid power train. I left this unmodded because lets put it this way my license is not the best.

They are not garbage but people throw on garbage parts with no tune and dump the clutch at 7k RPM and SUBARU AWD GRIPS and guess what happens? DOH **** breaks.

This is just a small list of cars I had And no I dont think Im hot **** just my personal experience.

Here are pics of my part cars just or ****s and giggles.

2011 wrx
This was my 08 sti with the GT30R and my friends GTI

And the 06 wrx I miss the most

Just throwing it in there I did go to the EVO side for a few months

Last edited by 02altimaSEny; 09-04-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 PM

If you want my opinion and want a daily driver with RAW power.

1. EVO MR mine was stock but pulled like a freight train
2. WRX STI with stage 2 mods
3. WRX limited 2006 with atleast $5-10k
4. WRX 2011 Drive train is improved and driveability is slightly better than 08-10 wrx.

First of all I dont think that maxima is slow in the VIDEOs the guy was holding a CAMERA in his hand and trying to drive and it looked like he wasnt trying to even get the best 0-60 out of it. I give him props for finishing a 6th gen turbo project!

Last edited by 02altimaSEny; 09-04-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Gram Lights addict

what happened to all those cars? dude im dying to have an 11 sti sedan, but that car is suicide for me. i test drove one and wanted to cry when i got back in my 5th gen.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 PM

what happened to all those cars? dude im dying to have an 11 sti sedan, but that car is suicide for me. i test drove one and wanted to cry when i got back in my 5th gen.
The 06 wrx I sold and parted out because I wanted the 08 STI hatchback, than I build the sti and boom motor goes after tune and never got to enjoy it. I had a new OEM engine installed and sold it to a friend of mine. Than I buy the EVO and I used to work and drive to manhattan everyday so the EVO beat the **** out of me since NYC roads suck and city traffic suck. I refuse to take public transportation because I hate it. So I sold the EVO and bought a 2011 WRX. I sold the 2011 WRX in favor for a 2012 S4 hehe.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 PM

The STI is a very nice sedan, but remember the STI sedan that was tested on the Neurbring is not the same STI that we have in the states. If you were serious about purchasing I would wait another model year because I think the JDM 2.0 8000RPM EJ20 is coming to the states to reduce weight and improve MPG.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Turbo in a Maxima not worth it?? Says who? Why because it's a 4 dr? That's the reason I wanted my maxima, becasue everyone is so concentrated on sports cars. My maxima can whop some 350z and G35 *** and I love to see eh faces of those drivers afterwordsI I think that makes it worth it and I don't even have Turbo. I can't imagine the cars I would smoke with turbo.

I do agree with one thing, maxima is not that good for drag racing but anything else, why not. If you have the cash and opportunity to turbo it, why not. Who gives a fock what other say about it. Your car and your cash. I personally think it's worth it. Everyday someone will say, I had no idea those cars are so quick.

Yeah you can go and get an Evo or a Subaru, a V8 but tehn you will have so many people that their cars are just as fast as yours and some even quicker. can you say teh same about a maxima?? Just because it's not popular in the racing world or magazine world, don't mean ****. If I had 5K to blow liek that or 7K. I would pimp that engine out. Kevin, May he rest in peace pulled low 12's and all NA, no turbo.

Don't let some haters and fools that can afford mods like those back track you dude. Get that grocery getter to smoke some *** and get some respect. That's all Im about now with mine.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 PM

for the price an evo and wrx are the best bang for you buck. Although the transmissions weren't all that great, after 2005 they handled the problem and they are solid.

i'd stop while your behind just a little krazy 6. anything more will just be pure ignorance. Its beginning to sounding like you got raped by one and are bitter or jealous about it. Until you test drive one, stop knocking it. they are awesome pieces of machinery. and their engines are just as reliable as the maxima. sure there are a few bad apples but what car doesn't have a few.

i am very interested in the s4. the only problem is they are a little too small for me. the s5 is perfect. i can't see a better awd sports car for 34-45k used. when its time to sell the max ill be getting on of those.

for now my goal is to make a mustang killer. its a blast ticking off those ford guys.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Turbo in a Maxima not worth it?? Says who? Why because it's a 4 dr? That's the reason I wanted my maxima, becasue everyone is so concentrated on sports cars. My maxima can whop some 350z and G35 *** and I love to see eh faces of those drivers afterwordsI I think that makes it worth it and I don't even have Turbo. I can't imagine the cars I would smoke with turbo.

I do agree with one thing, maxima is not that good for drag racing but anything else, why not. If you have the cash and opportunity to turbo it, why not. Who gives a fock what other say about it. Your car and your cash. I personally think it's worth it. Everyday someone will say, I had no idea those cars are so quick.

Yeah you can go and get an Evo or a Subaru, a V8 but tehn you will have so many people that their cars are just as fast as yours and some even quicker. can you say teh same about a maxima?? Just because it's not popular in the racing world or magazine world, don't mean ****. If I had 5K to blow liek that or 7K. I would pimp that engine out. Kevin, May he rest in peace pulled low 12's and all NA, no turbo.

Don't let some haters and fools that can afford mods like those back track you dude. Get that grocery getter to smoke some *** and get some respect. That's all Im about now with mine.

and thats what i wanted to do with mine. but i just can't lay enough power down to satisfy me. i am used to driving mid 12 second cars with few bolt ons. the maxima was the first car i bough with the plan of making it mid 12 as a purpose built sleeper. nissan should really make the max awd or rwd. at some point they are going to have to.

every generation has been built with considerable more hp and torque from the last. there will come a time that the max will outgrow fwd, maybe then ill get back into the respect demanding grocery whip
Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by RAZ76
oh ya? so if you advise against FIing a maxima then you're a broke hater automatically? interesting.

I had a 4th gen for 8 years. Blew an auto trans N/A. blew an auto trans while it was supercharged. convereted to 5mt, again blew another transmission with only 300whp. i was on my 4th trans before car got stolen.lets not even mention that at this point the car needed a new motor cuz the rings on 2 cylinders were shot.

wanna talk about subaru trans being ****? lets talk about ****ty torque convertors on maxima autos, lets talk about crappy head bearings on the mt's. you wanna talk about subaru's being over rated and cant handle power? I broke axles countless times, couldnt get traction worth a ****. hit 10 PSI of boost and the manifold gasket would pop right out and car would choke. car felt like it wanted to fall apart one day, everytime there was something else giving you problems. it was a never ending battle.

you wanna talk surprising other cars with a boosted grocery getter? been there done that. still enjoyed the acceleration and drivability of a stock GTI more. Don't get me wrong, i loved the car and did enjoy having one hell of a unique whip (you dont see done up 4th gens around here). I miss it everyday. but at the end of the day with thousands and thousands of dollars, i wanst happy with the performance. Its not a good platform.

I'm no hater, i talk based on first hand experience. you talk based on DESIRES. now you go out there and do your thang buddy.

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 09-04-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Agree with this statment. And by over-rated I mean that pretty much everybody has/wants a wrx/sti. Sure they are fast cars and have great aftermarket support, can produce great numbers, etc. But they do have issues. The transmission is an issue on the older models of the cars. Mostly because of the owners that have the drag racing mentality and rag on the cars right from the start. For me personally, the sti/evo doesnt do it because of the boy racer image that it produces and the hassle with owning one.

Oh, and the comment about the crappy nissan trans. Until the 6spd came out, nissan trans were all crap especially the auto and the 5spd that was offered in the maxima. The 6spd unit fixed the majority of those issues and it is a rare case that somebody destroys one in a maxima,350z,g35.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Ain't gonna happen with that budget OP, unless you do all the work and tune it yourself.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by derekinthez
Ain't gonna happen with that budget OP, unless you do all the work and tune it yourself.
of couse i'd do it all myself. people should put in aftermarket turbos unless they understand how they work.. and how to build one. that or you need to have a second car and a lot of money while its in the shop every other month.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM

do what you feel ... its your money

so whats if its FWD ?

there are plenty of 500whp hatches that i know personally that would put some V8's to shame ... and yes from a dig ... its not all about making power ... its about knowing how to put it down ...

i have little to no issues spraying out the hole in my car ... find the right suspension/wheel combo