6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fender rubbing solved, tab rub not yet..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM

Fender rubbing solved, tab rub not yet..

so I have aftermarket rims and spacers. I am sitting perfectly flush. I rolled the fenders and they now clear the wheels, but the tab holding the bumper to the rear quarter panel stick out far enough inside the wheel well so that it rubs the tire on dips bumps ect.. I have some ideas on how to eliminate that tab while keeping the structural integrity of the bumper but they just are not practical.

I was wondering if any of you have run into this problem and what/how you solved it.

Thanks in advance..
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 AM

Same problem here, I shaved it off a bit but still rubs. Just got used to the rubbing, like they say "if it aint rubbing, you aint doing it right"
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 AM

lol well, im thinking about cutting it off and welding a small bracket in place that is in a better position... or taking some epoxy and sticking a bracket between the two pieces, and then cutting off the tab once it cures. i don't want to rub anymore, it makes the car feel and appear to be cheap and rice..
Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 AM

I was also thinking of relocating the bracket, but I only rub when I put on the Volks. I usually have my G37 wheels on and they don't rub at all.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11
so I have aftermarket rims and spacers. I am sitting perfectly flush. I rolled the fenders and they now clear the wheels, but the tab holding the bumper to the rear quarter panel stick out far enough inside the wheel well so that it rubs the tire on dips bumps ect.. I have some ideas on how to eliminate that tab while keeping the structural integrity of the bumper but they just are not practical.

I was wondering if any of you have run into this problem and what/how you solved it.

Thanks in advance..
I have the same problem but just live with it. Only rubs when I have peolple in the back going over dips and bumps. I tried going with a 255/35/20 instead of the 275/30/20 but still rubs. What offset are your wheels and what size spacer are you running maybe try a smaller spacer. For me I have no choice because my wheels are 20x10 35et.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

This is what I've always been trying to tell people. Everyone thinks if they're rubbing it'll go away if they get their fenders rolled, but you'll rub on that tab or the fender liner first, then the fender lip. I cut my fender liner in that area, shaved the tab down, drilled a hole and inserted a nut and bolt a little further down. You have to be very precise with the size and alignment of the hole through the bumper and the tab so that it holds the bumper close to the fender since the mount isn't where they meet anymore. This isn't something everyone wants to do, but if you want an aggressive stance without rubbing then you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TarmacSL1
I have the same problem but just live with it. Only rubs when I have peolple in the back going over dips and bumps. I tried going with a 255/35/20 instead of the 275/30/20 but still rubs. What offset are your wheels and what size spacer are you running maybe try a smaller spacer. For me I have no choice because my wheels are 20x10 35et.

no way, i love my stance and i love the handling. im going to keep this offset and fix the tab problem.

i do have some scratches on my bumper so im now thinking i can plastic weld a new tab in when i repaint, for now, im going to try the straight metal bracket epoxied between the two pieces and once it cures just shave the tab off. epoxy is something like a few thousands PSI. so if i get a 1x3" inch tap i should have 4-6 thousand pounds of STICK, should be more than enough to keep the bumper in place for the lie of the car

unless of course anyone has a better idea.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by joecurr
This is what I've always been trying to tell people. Everyone thinks if they're rubbing it'll go away if they get their fenders rolled, but you'll rub on that tab or the fender liner first, then the fender lip. I cut my fender liner in that area, shaved the tab down, drilled a hole and inserted a nut and bolt a little further down. You have to be very precise with the size and alignment of the hole through the bumper and the tab so that it holds the bumper close to the fender since the mount isn't where they meet anymore. This isn't something everyone wants to do, but if you want an aggressive stance without rubbing then you gotta do what you gotta do.
i removed my fender liner all together, someone must have been like driving through a swamp before i bought the car because my fender liners weighed 8 lbs a PIECE!!!

just to be clear, so the tab is still there but you ground it down, drilled the hole farther back on the tab and used the hardware there?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11
i removed my fender liner all together, someone must have been like driving through a swamp before i bought the car because my fender liners weighed 8 lbs a PIECE!!!

just to be clear, so the tab is still there but you ground it down, drilled the hole farther back on the tab and used the hardware there?
I was thinking about removing the fender liner all together, but I hacked it near the tab a long time ago, so I figured I might as well keep it in to protect other components from dirt and water.

I just thought of it and I'm not 100% clear if we are on the same page, by tab do you mean the white plastic insert that the screw goes into or the bumper plastic and the fender metal that the white plastic insert mounts on? When I say tab I am referring to the bumper and the fender. I took off that white plastic insert and shaved the bumper and fender closer to the outer body, but not all the way so that the fender is still rigid. You can also remove the white insert and bend the fender tab up, but you'll still have to shave the bumper tab. With that definition of tab, what you said is correct. If you do any shaving, remember to paint any exposed metal to prevent rusting.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by joecurr
I was thinking about removing the fender liner all together, but I hacked it near the tab a long time ago, so I figured I might as well keep it in to protect other components from dirt and water.

I just thought of it and I'm not 100% clear if we are on the same page, by tab do you mean the white plastic insert that the screw goes into or the bumper plastic and the fender metal that the white plastic insert mounts on? When I say tab I am referring to the bumper and the fender. I took off that white plastic insert and shaved the bumper and fender closer to the outer body, but not all the way so that the fender is still rigid. You can also remove the white insert and bend the fender tab up, but you'll still have to shave the bumper tab. With that definition of tab, what you said is correct. If you do any shaving, remember to paint any exposed metal to prevent rusting.
oh i just shot the inside of my wheel well with a layer of rhino liner to keep it all good.. i figured taking the liners out would translate into saving a few bucks every few month in gas. i don't penny pinch but it took 10 seconds to rip it out.

and i think we are on the same page on the tab. it is the one that connects the plastic bumper to the metal. i did try to hammer it up which would have worked well but it started to tuck the bumper in... didn't look good.

when i get to fixing it i will try what you did to see if it clears.. if not ill grind it all down and do the bracket epoxy thing. there is no stress on that part of the car so it will be more than enough to keep it in place for the life of the car.