6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

LEDs and long term issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LEDs and long term issues

Just a quick question: Has anyone out there that has installed LEDs had any issues or problems:

Blown Fuses?
Bulbs burning out prematurely?
LEDs burning out after a short while?
I've recently installed LEDs for my DRLs, Side Turning lights, license plate, interior domes....

Are resistors required?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Motoring!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

resistors are required for turn signals... unless you don't mind the super fast blinking indicating a bulb is out. (led has such a low draw. but how do you know if one goes out unless you check often)

just cheap leds may go bad quicker.

I've explained in other threads about which resistors to get depending on how many led turn bulbs you use.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
KC's FINEST

What are you running for the cornering lights?

Pics?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM

+1

Anyways, I had my first set of switchbacks which were defective go out on me after a few weeks. Emailed the company and in only two days, I got my replacements and they've been working flawlessly ever since.

Like Nismo80 said, you only need resistors for the DRL's. If you got LED tails than you need some 6ohm resistors and 3 ohm if you don't.

http://www.v-leds.com/LED-Load-Resistors/c122488-1-3/
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 PM

I believe it was the 3157.... I will have pics as soon as I can get them off my phone...Microsoft Synch is such a pain. Actually I could remove the memory card or take the picture with my camera.... Anyway, I will figure it out and try to post it asap.

The DRL's are 1156 type and the cornering lights are 3157...I will find out a mfg and part numbers of the LEDs too. The interior domes are festoon style....or LED panels with festoon style adapters (front and back) there are a few 158s too. License plates are 168. My advice is not to use LEDs for the vanity mirrors as the light is not natural and too bright.

The whole LED replacement mod has officially gone viral. A lot of people I know have started doing it. One friend of mine has spent close to $400 on this stuff so far...but the purplish bright white light is really cool in the 2005 Max with the silver interior...the whole place just glows! And the DRLs attract a lot of attention. I even like driving with just the DRL's on at night...second to last position on the stalk.

Anyone know how to change the wiring on the DRLs so that they light up with the Xenons? I would love to have both on at the same time.

The LEDs on the DRLs is very cool looking...completely different than any other car with LEDs but is very apparent and obvious. I was thinking of installing the switchbacks but now I think that I might stick with the amber bulb or maybe consider just a regular amber led....I find the contrast between the two lights is very different and unusual...attractive. I'm even considering the DRL style LEDs on the sides of my aftermarket grille...while parked of course....I saw a beautiful new 370z convertible with blue neons all around which was very nicely done at one of hangouts the other day...for all you people who know Montreal...the Orange Julep on Decarie Blvd where we hold the summer car meets on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Wednesday is classic car night and Thursday is Tuner night.

Last edited by xorbitman; 05-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Everything inside & outside my car has been changed to LEDS... never had any issues.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 PM

no offense to those who sell LEDs but i think its a hit and miss no matter where you buy... i've bought from different sellers (popular, recommended, google searched, cheap ones directly from china, retal, etc.)... and its all good and bad here and there...
Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Sorry to bump this question again....

Anyone know how to change the wiring on the DRLs so that they light up with the Xenons (Main nighttime driving lights)? I would love to have both on at the same time.

I'm experimenting with LEDs as H3 replacements now too. I had a Piaa ion plasma yellow H3 burn on me the other day so kind of on the fence on this.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 PM

There's gotta be something wrong with your wiring or something because the DRL's are supposed to come on with your headlights.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 PM

It's different in Canada....DRL's on a 6th Gen are separate from the HID headlights.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 PM

I'm using Tutco Pure LEDs. They are amazing at night...purplish white light bathes the interior nicely and reflects of the brushed aluminum. As soon as it stops raining here I will take new picture and post...sorry for the delay but the rain is just ridiculous. 2 - 3 x more than usual this year up here in Montreal. I can actually hear the grass grow! LOL!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by morteljc
no offense to those who sell LEDs but i think its a hit and miss no matter where you buy... i've bought from different sellers (popular, recommended, google searched, cheap ones directly from china, retal, etc.)... and its all good and bad here and there...
It depends on the quality of the leds... im currently selling leds.. i have sold hundreds of led panels with no complains. I've got em in my car and my g35 no issues. You can see em here: http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ight-leds.html
Old 05-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by I3LAZEN
It depends on the quality of the leds... im currently selling leds.. i have sold hundreds of led panels with no complains. I've got em in my car and my g35 no issues. You can see em here: http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ight-leds.html
Would you happen to know how to get the DRLs to stay on with the Xenon headlights?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
It's different in Canada....DRL's on a 6th Gen are separate from the HID headlights.
Didn't know that. I hope that someone chimes in soon to answer your question.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Would you happen to know how to get the DRLs to stay on with the Xenon headlights?
Hmm... You'd have to do some custom wiring to get that done I would believe. Not exactly sure how.

I know with the toyota corolla.. theres daytime running lights and when the headlights turn on, they turn off. You'd probably have to wire it to a switch so you can control it when you want.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by I3LAZEN
Hmm... You'd have to do some custom wiring to get that done I would believe. Not exactly sure how.

I know with the toyota corolla.. theres daytime running lights and when the headlights turn on, they turn off. You'd probably have to wire it to a switch so you can control it when you want.
I have looked into this problem, you would almost have to bypass the whole system, because the lighting system is all software controlled.. I was wanting to wire my fogs to come on with out my headlamps... still figuring it out...