6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Which is faster, an auto 04-06 or a CVT 07-08?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 PM

Which is faster, an auto 04-06 or a CVT 07-08?

In my opinion, the CVT's make the 07-08's feel slower. Bone stock, has anyone seen proof either way? I am concerned about getting a newer max because of the CVT and its sluggish, rubbery feel. I am not trying to offend anyone with these comments....just want to know if there is a difference in accel times. Your thoughts?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Up to about 35mph they're really close. From there to about 90 or so the CVT is a little quicker. After that the auto wins, unless it's the 4 speed auto.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 PM

No shift shock CVT FTL
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 PM

i could never buy a cvt man. the the thought of nissan doing away with the 4/5 speed auto makes me mad. it just doesn't feel right. I drove one for 3 days and it just seems like the max fell into a depression and kinda half heartily drives around. also that constant vocal frequency the engine puts out under WOT gets annoying. almost as annoying as a car alarm. after a while you begin to refrain from stepping on it so you don't have to hear that consistent monotone noise. The day a maxima becomes annoying at anything it does is a sad day. sorry if i offend anyone either but that is my opinion. a car should growl and snarl in a full range of vocal sounds. just just hum one note.

watch this and tell me after a few months you wouldn't get annoyed with the way it sounds

cvt maxima: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMcXd0E62LQ

and the better maxima: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktN2dBd9I4

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-08-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah I agree, although I love the exterior of the newer Maximas, I just can't get over the CVT sound. It sounds like the car is stuck in one gear and doesn't sound right until you get used to the CVT.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 AM

I like the 7thgen, but if I were to get the 7thgen, I would get an 06 engine with a 6-speed transmission and change the ECU..and call it a night..Things you have to do to have comfort...6thgen is still an egg to me...but when they made CVT, I was breathless..The nerve..
Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 PM

i don't really see whats the main problem with a cvt transmission. Its not a car that you would burn rubber and go 100 mph everyday unless you live in another country. For around the city cursing, no shift shock is great! and when you punch it you won't have to wait for a down shift. Also there is that great warranty that comes with it 10yrs/120,000miles!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by coolsun
i don't really see whats the main problem with a cvt transmission. Its not a car that you would burn rubber and go 100 mph everyday unless you live in another country. For around the city cursing, no shift shock is great! and when you punch it you won't have to wait for a down shift. Also there is that great warranty that comes with it 10yrs/120,000miles!
I know what you are saying but alot of the fellas on here are "enthusiast" and drive their cars pretty hard, I can see where/how if you push your car hard alot that "drone" would drive you crazy. Otherwise its ok for what it is.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 PM

IMO it depends on the driver because I've seen one or the other win in a race
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 PM

why buy a maxima if you are going to just cruiz around the city. i understand your view point, but why look for that in a Maxima. if you want a city cruiser there are MANY cheaper cars out there that have better fuel economy. the maxima is purpose made for the person who wants a sports car, but needs a roomy 4 door, and doesn't want to spend 40+ grand. a cvt makes sense in a 4 cylinder accord, a cvt makes sense in a camery, a cvt makes sense in a caravan, a cvt makes sense in a hybrid or a "green" car, a cvt does NOT make sense in a sporty Nissan Maxima. I own a quad with a cvt... it just doesn't sit well in our cars, my bet is nissan is going to do away with cvt in the up coming years, because the feed back has been poor. bad idea.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Well you can't really call any generation maxima a sports car or sporty besides the 3rd gen since that was when it competed against BMW and Mercedes. Since all maximas are fwd there is no way a maxima is sporty in stock form period. None of them perform like one out of the box either. When i first got my 6.5 there was a ton of body roll taking corners, it doesn't feel like a sports car at all when you under steer. Yourself have to make your own improvements to make something better. That is why we are here to improve our cars to become closer to sporty.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 PM

the term sporty is subjective. Nissan calls it sports.luxury, our insurance calls it a sports car, edmunds calls it a sports car, roadfly lables it as a sports car, cars.com, ebay motors, kelly blue book, carmax, ect... it is faster then comparable class cars from honda civic si /accord/prelude, toyota avalon/camery/celica, scion tc, ford mustang/mustang GT, bmw 4 cylinder/some 6 cylinder, Mercedes 4 cylinder/some 6 cylinder, pontiac sunfire/firebird 6 cylinder, camaro 6 cylinder, ect.. the list is endless and all these cars are considered sports cars. i would say this car is a sports car. does your opinion classify it as a sports car, apparently not. but again the term "sports car" is subjective and to best categorize the maxima is to go with the flow and the flow is overwhelmingly calling the maxima a sports car.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 AM

You're forgetting the best trans, the 6 speed manual!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 AM
SmokinMaxSE

CVT is GAY.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 AM

lol just drive it in tiptronic mode.

but to answer the op question... the cvt is quicker up to like 80 [stock to stock] since theres no gears to be changed.... unless you get some mods.. the cvt is sluggish after 80.

i got a cvt 08 max and i love it.. perfectly fine with it. i gues im used to it by now + all the bolt ons is a plus lol
Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by I3LAZEN
lol just drive it in tiptronic mode.

but to answer the op question... the cvt is quicker up to like 80 [stock to stock] since theres no gears to be changed.... unless you get some mods.. the cvt is sluggish after 80.

i got a cvt 08 max and i love it.. perfectly fine with it. i gues im used to it by now + all the bolt ons is a plus lol
I drove a Murano with one. Its like having to wear a condom with a beautiful women....... No Fun !!!!!! Like a climax but can't bust a Nut !!!! Like having one stroke when you want another

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 04-10-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 AM

I just hate the fact that the CVT sounds like you are driving in 1st gear w/o shifting..., I just don't like that.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 AM

I like CVT.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM

i like lamp
Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
i like lamp
do you really like the lamp or are you just saying you do
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM

CVT going down
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM

The car sounds fine 0-40mph then 40+ it sounds like its stuck in gear, but how many times during the day do you even punch it 0-40+mph? Drive in manual mode if you want the shifting sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amt4qqltU9g

The "sports car" is just marketing since its powerful, but its just a full-sized car meant for daily driving -- even on their website they only list the 370z & GT-R under the sports car category: www.nissanusa.com

Looking at the 04-06 auto trans failures the CVT is a much more reliable option for the general public (which Nissan cares about, not the small percent of enthusiasts) -- yes the CVT will feel a lil different at first but you'll get used to it (if you want a sports car then you wouldnt be buying a FWD auto full-sized sedan lol)

Autotragic is an autotragic, doesnt matter if its regular or CVT

Even if Nissan offered a manual version for the Maxima, how many would they even sell? Maybe 1% of the automatics, which isnt even worth it for them. Most people on here say they would buy manual Maxima, but how many would truly be able to afford a new Maxima? Most will be looking for used ones

Most of the people in the US dont even know how to drive a manual and of the people that do, most of them usually end up buying automatics since its more practical (someone else in the family might need to use their car and they cant drive a manual, or you commute to work in traffic and changing gears is annoying when you're alrdy tired from working) or b/c they're just lazy lol. Manual car sales have been going down and there isnt much of a new car market for full-sized manual sedans so its just better to offer auto w/ manual mode (and cripple the manual mode to avoid damaging the trans since most people cant drive a manual)

Most people who buy manual cars will go for a sports coupe or a small/mid-sized sedan -- look at the new Elantra, it looks great and its much more affordable than the Maxima but they only offer a manual trans on their base model ($15k-16.5k). You would think they would have a manual on a base model and then also offer a manual on a higher end model (with at least a sunroof and better audio) but even they didnt bother with it -- I honestly thought that a loaded Elantra with manual trans would be a hot seller around $20k but if they're not offering it then there probably isnt much of a market for that so the Maxima would be screwed even more at the $30k price range
Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
I drove a Murano with one. Its like having to wear a condom with a beautiful women....... No Fun !!!!!! Like a climax but can't bust a Nut !!!! Like having one stroke when you want another
But the thing is that the murano has the "defective" cvt which is why 6.5's have the improved version along with the 120k trans warranty with them.

It's really isn't that slow if you know how to trick the system. Plus you gotta drive it a little differently compared to auto or manual.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 PM

I must add to this as I just drove 2 diffrent kinds of maximas the other day, I have a 2000 Maxima SE with 200,000 miles going strong, and a 2008 Maxima SL with 38,000 on it going strong. I must admit personally the CVT is a diffrent. At First I hated it bc I was so use to the 2000 max's transmisson. I missed the smooth shifts of gears changing but I learned to get along with the cvt and the cvt grew on me and I love it now. Its just something you gota get use to but hey its better and more reliable so thats what matters most to me
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
The car sounds fine 0-40mph then 40+ it sounds like its stuck in gear, but how many times during the day do you even punch it 0-40+mph? Drive in manual mode if you want the shifting sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amt4qqltU9g

The "sports car" is just marketing since its powerful, but its just a full-sized car meant for daily driving -- even on their website they only list the 370z & GT-R under the sports car category: www.nissanusa.com

Looking at the 04-06 auto trans failures the CVT is a much more reliable option for the general public (which Nissan cares about, not the small percent of enthusiasts) -- yes the CVT will feel a lil different at first but you'll get used to it (if you want a sports car then you wouldnt be buying a FWD auto full-sized sedan lol)

Autotragic is an autotragic, doesnt matter if its regular or CVT

Even if Nissan offered a manual version for the Maxima, how many would they even sell? Maybe 1% of the automatics, which isnt even worth it for them. Most people on here say they would buy manual Maxima, but how many would truly be able to afford a new Maxima? Most will be looking for used ones

Most of the people in the US dont even know how to drive a manual and of the people that do, most of them usually end up buying automatics since its more practical (someone else in the family might need to use their car and they cant drive a manual, or you commute to work in traffic and changing gears is annoying when you're alrdy tired from working) or b/c they're just lazy lol. Manual car sales have been going down and there isnt much of a new car market for full-sized manual sedans so its just better to offer auto w/ manual mode (and cripple the manual mode to avoid damaging the trans since most people cant drive a manual)

Most people who buy manual cars will go for a sports coupe or a small/mid-sized sedan -- look at the new Elantra, it looks great and its much more affordable than the Maxima but they only offer a manual trans on their base model ($15k-16.5k). You would think they would have a manual on a base model and then also offer a manual on a higher end model (with at least a sunroof and better audio) but even they didnt bother with it -- I honestly thought that a loaded Elantra with manual trans would be a hot seller around $20k but if they're not offering it then there probably isnt much of a market for that so the Maxima would be screwed even more at the $30k price range
Thank you, that was my point but more detailed
Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
But the thing is that the murano has the "defective" cvt which is why 6.5's have the improved version along with the 120k trans warranty with them.

It's really isn't that slow if you know how to trick the system. Plus you gotta drive it a little differently compared to auto or manual.
Next they will kill the exhaust note. You won't know what the hell the car is doing. I don't like Throttle by wire either. My foot is quicker than that.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
I don't like Throttle by wire either. My foot is quicker than that.
Amen to that! I had how the revs hang if you just rev it up. Also the rpm's don't drop as fast between shifts and sometimes increase if you were accelerating hard.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In 2009 while my 04' max was in the shop, I rented a brand new 2009 max with the CVT. I had the car for 5 days. While I liked the change it has to the center console and the exterior styling...I didn't like the transmissions behavior. We all know that with the 2004-2006 5A/T, when you punch it...it's gone!. With the 2009 CVT, when you punch the gas..there is a hesitation...it thinks, it gears up..then it goes. During those 5 days I was getting smoked by Mustang GTs, BMW 328, Buicks...you name it.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned

I have 120,000mi on my original 5 speed auto in my '04 so dont think all 6th gens have tranny issues, i tend to think its mostly due to alot of people here who drive the car hard, which i dont happen to do very often at all.
I think the 6th and 7th are so close in terms of accelleration its not even noticeable. I also wonder if CVT is so great why isnt there one used in any of the upmarket sport sedan models like the 535i, 550i, G37, E550 etc etc?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I have 120,000mi on my original 5 speed auto in my '04 so dont think all 6th gens have tranny issues, i tend to think its mostly due to alot of people here who drive the car hard, which i dont happen to do very often at all.
I think the 6th and 7th are so close in terms of accelleration its not even noticeable. I also wonder if CVT is so great why isnt there one used in any of the upmarket sport sedan models like the 535i, 550i, G37, E550 etc etc?
Or it could be that people keep flushing there transmission when it doesnt need flushing. Probably why you hear about the 5-speed transmission fail..
Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Nissan's are designed for performance so they should've done a better job instead of cutting corners on the trans & timing chain tensioners -- look at older Nissan engines & auto trans, they're much more reliable than the 04-06 auto trans and the 04-08 timing chains (both of which are costly repairs) even if people drove their cars hard

Nissans are FWD vehicles plus they're more economical cars so its fine for them to use the CVT since majority of the buyers wont care or even know about the CVT

Infiniti is RWD plus luxury so Nissan is staying away from using the CVT on there even for the new M hybrid -- Lexus on the other hand is using CVT in their luxury hybrids (most are FWD, but the GS is RWD and LS is AWD)
Old 04-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by K-Ryder
Or it could be that people keep flushing there transmission when it doesnt need flushing. Probably why you hear about the 5-speed transmission fail..
please expand on this. I think I know where your heading but I want to hear it first before adding anything.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-Ryder
Add that very good point. When the car was newer, I read the manual and could not find anything saying you must change the tranny fluid, I think the book recommendations end at 120k miles. I thought people were just wasting there money and thinking they were doing something good for the unit, as it turns out, its not only not a full flush but its potentially harmful. Ive mentioned it in passing at valvoline during oil changes and he agreed saying it was a sealed unit, and he dosent recommend it, "not on these cars" he said. Ill drive it into the ground with the original fluid, sealed means sealed!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Add that very good point. When the car was newer, I read the manual and could not find anything saying you must change the tranny fluid, I think the book recommendations end at 120k miles. I thought people were just wasting there money and thinking they were doing something good for the unit, as it turns out, its not only not a full flush but its potentially harmful. Ive mentioned it in passing at valvoline during oil changes and he agreed saying it was a sealed unit, and he dosent recommend it, "not on these cars" he said. Ill drive it into the ground with the original fluid, sealed means sealed!

thank you. I went to oil stop, a drive in drive out place that changes your oil like a car wash. They said i needed to change my transmission fluid. I said NO they said yes. I said NO again and they said Well you should. I heard from the dealer it was a sealed unit when i went looking for it in the lot to check its color. (ALWAYS check the cars fluids AFTER test driving when buying a second hand car, if you know what your looking for you can detect evidence of abuse by the last owner and avoid a lemon.) I had this hunch from the beginning. You should all check with Nissan and avoid being screwed over by shops. Now does this cause harm by changing it. We can't be certain of this. My guess is no. there shouldn't be any harm done by switching the fluid unless there is a special arrangement in the transmission that by depleting it causes pockets of air to be trapped. but then even that should work its way out. in a matter of driving the car and letting it cool.

any other ideas? I want to know what Nissan has to say about it.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
please expand on this. I think I know where your heading but I want to hear it first before adding anything.

Transmission fluid is a detergent, its a self cleaning fluid. It lubricates the planetary gears and clutch packs, also provides hydraulic pressure for the torque converter. There is no need to flush a transmission every 50k or 10k. No need whatsoever. Transmission fluid is the only fluid you dont touch.

Now in some cases the transmission fluid after years of abuse turn brown, could be because the transmission is failing. Now what do you do in a case like that, well you dont want to flush it, why because the metal shavings that come off the planetary gears are actually helping the transmission rotate the clutch packs. Now eventually by then you should get your tranny rebuilt because of the slipping you're experiencing. But really you're not suppose to change the fluid.

Off-Topic
Stay away from those Jiffy Lube garages. They are there to scam money from you. Save money and change your own oil with a piece of mind. There are many videos on youtube to know how to change oil. Engine flushing is not really flushing anything, all they do is take your old oil and pump it in and out using that fancy machinery. You're paying $100 dollars for nothing but to see a pumping show. Many cars have had problems after going to those places, people have had tranny failures and engine problems. Save money stay away from them.

Off-Topic:
If you want to clean your crank case, get a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, pour it inside your crankcase and pour the rest inside your fuel tank it'll clean your injectors too. Run the engine for a while. Then let it sit overnight. Then the next day, warm it up. The ndrain after your car is warmed up. The color of the oil will look midnight. After all is drained, replace filter put fresh oil Bam you just did an oil change and a manual flush. Cost, $40.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 PM

A 6spd would definitely be nice but i cant imagine driving a stick shift FWD sedan with huge turning radius in the city i live in. I mainly drive my car in manual mode and dont really notice any lags when shifting. My only complain about CVT is when in manual mode, the car would sometimes jump back to auto mode showing D instead of numbers. Is this a CVT problem or has anyone noticed on any of their maximas.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ryaliu
A 6spd would definitely be nice but i cant imagine driving a stick shift FWD sedan with huge turning radius in the city i live in. I mainly drive my car in manual mode and dont really notice any lags when shifting. My only complain about CVT is when in manual mode, the car would sometimes jump back to auto mode showing D instead of numbers. Is this a CVT problem or has anyone noticed on any of their maximas.
+1 on the first part.

I just got my 08 Maxima and not really thrilled about the CVT but i dont see why its such a big deal to some.

I sold my 350z to get a automatic sedan to cruise in which the CVT is great for. Personally i dont see why someone would even want this car in 6 speed. Seems pointless... Its big, FWD, and has average power. This is my first 4 door and first automatic car and i think the CVT is perfect for what the car is.

Still dont like how the CVT sounds tho

I
Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

CVT is Ghaaay, Tiptronic FTW, for as long as the tranny lasts.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

08 MAX SE Owner

I used to own an 08 MAX SE. Absolutely loved it, but only after i got used to it. It's definitely an adjustment, and it is true that its sluggish after 80 mph but I found when I installed the racingline y-pipe, the top end lag greatly diminished, but for everyday driving purposes, I mean are we seriously driving much past 100 mph on a daily basis? Most of us are not.

The one advantage IMO I loved, was the CVT's effortless passing of cars on the highway. You just barely tap the pedal, and it fly's without screaming, without drama, swiftly overtaking the car you want to pass. When you floor it completely it does seem weird the RPMS just sitting all the way up there, but most of the time your just cruising at a faster speed and tapping the gas to pass the slowpokes.

Smooth, effortless, drama free passing experience with the CVT.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 PM

i dont like the sound of the cvt

Quick Reply: Which is faster, an auto 04-06 or a CVT 07-08?