6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HID to relay or not to relay that is the Q?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM

HID to relay or not to relay that is the Q?

Ordered HID's from ddm tuner which has been a mess. First I they sent me a email stating they didnt have RAP35 HID's that I ordered. Then 30 min later a email that my order had been fulfilled.... WELL NOT SO MUCH!!! Waited the 5 days for them to get from CA to NY. They forgot the relay pack I ordered after calling them and being on hold for 23 min I find out they are outta stock of the relays!!!!!! FML......

So do I wait and order the relay some where else for the HID or is it just over kill? Ive always done a relay but patience is so not one of my virtues when it comes putting new things in my car
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

damn that sucks..how much did you pay?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 PM

It was $35 for the HID's 4500K, $4 for the brackets, $12.50 for the relay. $61 total I believe.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM

Tell them to refund you for the relay and order one off ebay. I have ordered plenty of relays off ebay and never had a problem.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
SmokinMaxSE

If they acknowledged there was no relay in the box. Then reply back and send it back to them. Get a refund. Even if you do install it, a bulb might not work and one of the ballast.

Order hids from Maxxpower....... he ships fast.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Got Retrofit?

Wow I didn't have any problems with DDM when I ordered from them I ordered Saturday and was informed that they didn't have my 55W digital slim ballast kit, they re-stocked Tuesday and I had my kit by Friday morning.

Anyway, just get the relay harness off eBay. That's where I got mine and I haven't had any problems yet. They're extremely cheap too. Don't settle for less and not get one because of your lack of patience, you'll regret it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM

What's the relay for?

I put on some DDM fogs a few months back, have zero problem with them, and no extra relay...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
What's the relay for?

I put on some DDM fogs a few months back, have zero problem with them, and no extra relay...
When the ballasts ignite(turns on) it draws more current than the original bulbs. The relay sends the power to the ballasts from the battery instead of the headlight harness. Its more or an insurance policy against momentarily drawing more current from the headlight harness than intended. Typically the headlight harness will handle it but i wouldn't chance it as it would be a pain in the *** to fix. It will work with or without the relay.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Just wanted to update, ended up getting a ebay harness. Made sure to seal all the connections under the relay, and the fuse on the power, along with a nice run of electrical tape along the relay and where it seats into the harness. It came out awesome removing the front bumper and grill is a P.I.T.A just to get at light bulbs. But I really wanted to come back and say what a VERY NICE product DDM makes. The ballasts where very well made, the 9005 extension harness on the bulbs was very kewl, rubber grommets where nice, fired right up!!! I got the 4500K bulbs look great. I would recommend DDM HID's to anyone!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 AM

hid kits all suck anyway and will end up burning in 6 months.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
nah.. not six..about 15 mos..but.. the look is well worth it...
Old 03-13-2011, 06:03 PM

It all depends on how much you use your lights. Some people have had their kits last for two years.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM

My solara HID's where in two years, never had a problem. Sold it almost a year ago and they are still going strong.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM

I had a pair of ddm HIDs for fogs on my last car. They are still going stron 14 months later. Plan on switching them to the maxima I just bought.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
You actually believe the BS you're shoveling...
Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM

i did a upgrade to HID on my 05, No relay, no problems. Except when it was at freezing, i had to flip the light switch to get them to come on, not all the time, but a few...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM

HID conversion

Thanks for the post I am looking for a HID conversion for my 2008 Max. However I do sympathise with the person who posted the fact that they had to wait on hold with DDM Tuning. I just got through after 18 mins and 50 sec and a lady answered and asked for my name and number to call me back then hung up. WOW! Anyways I was wondering if there were any other recommendations on HID conversion kits with other companies? I saw someone mentioned Maxxpower but I am still searching to try and find there website. Also does anyone know if I will need the error code eliminator that DDM has available for my 08 Max? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tommiekatt916
Just wanted to update, ended up getting a ebay harness. Made sure to seal all the connections under the relay, and the fuse on the power, along with a nice run of electrical tape along the relay and where it seats into the harness. It came out awesome removing the front bumper and grill is a P.I.T.A just to get at light bulbs. But I really wanted to come back and say what a VERY NICE product DDM makes. The ballasts where very well made, the 9005 extension harness on the bulbs was very kewl, rubber grommets where nice, fired right up!!! I got the 4500K bulbs look great. I would recommend DDM HID's to anyone!

I was wondering exactly what I needed to get my 08 Max hooked up with HID's? I see that you have an 08 Max and was hoping you would be able to help me figure out exactly what I need and how much it will cost since DDM doesn't answer there phone. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM

I got the raptor kit 35w 9005 bulb. MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN STOCK! They came in stock the day I had ordered luckily. I got the 4500K bulbs, they look great but when the lows are on they have a purpleish look from the cab looking out to the road. I still like it over my 6000K's I had on my solara. I got the harness (was out of stock) its a plug and play relay harness just got to hook it to the + and - of the battery. I did have to extend it to reach the pass side but mine was bought on ebay. I also got the brackets, I didnt use them I made my own so the ballasts would fit under the headlights. $30 for the kit, $12.50 for the harness, $4.00 Brackets, $15 for shipping total was around $62

Relay pack at the battery

Extended across hidden by grill and bumper

3/4in hole drilled in back of headlight cover

Color 4500k warmed up
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Have you heard of a "Canbus" type of ballast? I got a reply from another dealer that told me to specifically get the "Canbus" ballast. Sorry to sound so ignorant but I just want to make sure the kit I get will work with my car. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM

just get cheapo relays from the zone and look up a wiring diagram. that's what i did. no problems so far after a couple years.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Damn do you got to take all that crap off for the 04 also? I was thinking about HIDs but didnt know it would be that much of a pain!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:22 PM

It is the same body style as the 2008 so I beleive it should be the same procedure for your install of HID's as well.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2008MAXIMASE
Thanks for the post I am looking for a HID conversion for my 2008 Max. However I do sympathise with the person who posted the fact that they had to wait on hold with DDM Tuning. I just got through after 18 mins and 50 sec and a lady answered and asked for my name and number to call me back then hung up. WOW! Anyways I was wondering if there were any other recommendations on HID conversion kits with other companies? I saw someone mentioned Maxxpower but I am still searching to try and find there website. Also does anyone know if I will need the error code eliminator that DDM has available for my 08 Max? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DDM Tuning never called me back......So I guess I will be taking my business else where.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Its really not that bad I took the front bumper completely off but you could get away with just the two in the sides of each bumper and the grill long as drop it down enough to get the bolt at the end of the fender. Edit: I think it took all of 30 to 45 min to take off the bumper if that. A bunch of 10mm bolts and plastic pop clips

CAN-BUS Ballast - CAN-BUS Ballasts eliminates the flickering & "bulb out" issues commonly found on vehicles equipped with a CAN-BUS system. Including but not limited too Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep, & Late Model Fords.

I am assuming with the relay pack this isnt a issue so you will not need a canbus ballasts. I did make sure mine were digital ballasts, from what I have read digital ballasts take less voltage to start up and run. They also produce less heat, and heat is the number 1 killer of electronics. I dont know if there is a difference between the two?

There was some group buy HID in the group by section dunno if they are still going on
Old 03-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks Tommiekatt916 for all your info. I will look and see if the group buy is still an option.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM

I just got my HID kits for fog lights and headlights. But they sent me H8 instead of H11. But as soon as I get them installed I will post some pictures of the new Xentec HID's and some tips on installing along with what has already been posted.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

I just installed my HIDs today man do they look awesome. But I decided not to install the relays and I wish I would have because now they are flickering. I was going to take it back apart before it was fully assembled and install them but I wanted to see if the flickering would stop after a sufficient warm up but it is still flickering. On my drive home I left them on all the way home from install point which was about a 15-20 minute ride. Can anyone reply and verify that the relays will in fact stop the flickering? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Tommiekatt916:
I was wondering when you got your relay harness did it have the factory connector already installed on it? I did not install as you may or may not have read in my previous post but now I am getting a flickering from the lights. I was wondering if you hard wired/spliced into the HID harness or did you plug the relay harness directly into the factory connector? I did not want to drill out a hole big enough to fit the connector through the cover and then try to seal it. I was thinking about just splicing mine into the HID harness since I already drilled, installed and sealed my headlight.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Well I installed the relay harnesses on the HID fog lights and headlights since all 4 lights were flickering and even with seperate relays installed on the fog lights and headlights it still flickers all 4 of them. If anyone can shed some light on this situation and maybe make some suggestions or fixes for this I would greatly appreciate it. Also I should probably mention these are ebay bought kits Xentec slim digital ballast 9005 for headlights and H8 kit for the fog lights also 2 ebay relay harnesses 1 for H8 kit and 1 for the 9005 kit. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 AM

I had now flickering issues with my harness. The harness I got plugged directly into the factory bulb harness. It depends where you get your kit from though I guess. Also , if splicing just make sure you have a good connection before sealing it back up to keep out moisture.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Mine was designed to plug directly in as well but I would have had to run that factory style connector through the plastic cover that seals the headlight which means I would have had to drill an even larger hole than I already had to. As far as sealing the wires I used shrink tubing on the spliced connector then taped them up using electrical tape also I packed all the connectors with dielectric grease.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM

It is really easy to depin the wires from the headlight factory plug on the relay harness if you need to just do that. just make sure you keep track. I also would consider making a small slit to allow the wire to pass through depending on the rubber seal on the light. Just depends honestly.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by latinmaxima
It is really easy to depin the wires from the headlight factory plug on the relay harness if you need to just do that. just make sure you keep track. I also would consider making a small slit to allow the wire to pass through depending on the rubber seal on the light. Just depends honestly.

On the 2008 Maxima the cover is plastic not rubber also if you are refering to cutting a slit into the rubber seal there are 2 problems with that. 1 the cover threads into place covering the seal completely. 2 even if you could cut a slit in the seal to run your wires through you would only end up with moisture in the headlamp which would rust out and/or short out any one of the bulbs and the circuits for the lights. Thanks for the response though.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Yeah if that is the case do not cut a slit into it. Use the smallest screwdriver in a small screwdriver set for repairing glasses and press the pin in on the adapter harness plug that plugs into the factory wire. It is iseasier if you push the wire into the plug to give some small bit of slack then push the pin in and pull the wire out. Then just route the three wires through. Do you have a pic of what it actually looks like on the 2008 maxima?

Nevermind if it is pic three above then that plug should plug into your ballasts and the ballasts plug into the relay harness. YOu shouldn't have to do anything else with the headlight.

Last edited by latinmaxima; 04-05-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: changed text.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM

H8 kit for the fog lights also 2 ebay relay harnesses 1 for H8 kit and 1 for the 9005 kit. Thanks for any info.
^^ I thought that you returned those for an H11 kit from the post that you made earlier? Also, if it's flickering now. It can only get worse in the future, especially if you had already installed relay kits.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
^^ I thought that you returned those for an H11 kit from the post that you made earlier? Also, if it's flickering now. It can only get worse in the future, especially if you had already installed relay kits.

I was going to send them back for the H11 kit but I was doing some research after the seller told me they were the same as the H8 kit. He was telling the truth they are they same and will work in place of an H11. The difference in the bulbs is the wattage H8 is a 35 watt bulb while the H11 is a 55 watt bulb. Fitment is exactly the same. It is just wierd how I installed these and its not just 1 or 2 bulbs doing this it is all 4 bulbs flickering. The seller is going to send new ballasts but I don't really think this is going to work. I think I need a "CAN-BUS" ballast. So if this doesn't work I will probably just buy a kit from someone else and try and return the ones I bought to the seller.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Does this "Can-Bus" ballast have anything to do with the CAN electrical system on the vehicle? What I mean is was the Can-Bus ballast designed specifically for vehicles that use a CAN electrical system? If that is the case then I will definitley need to replace my ballasts. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM

I was going to send them back for the H11 kit but I was doing some research after the seller told me they were the same as the H8 kit. He was telling the truth they are they same and will work in place of an H11. The difference in the bulbs is the wattage H8 is a 35 watt bulb while the H11 is a 55 watt bulb. Fitment is exactly the same. It is just wierd how I installed these and its not just 1 or 2 bulbs doing this it is all 4 bulbs flickering. The seller is going to send new ballasts but I don't really think this is going to work. I think I need a "CAN-BUS" ballast. So if this doesn't work I will probably just buy a kit from someone else and try and return the ones I bought to the seller.
Well, the H8's will fit like you stated but the wattage is what's going to throw your electrical system for a loop. Honestly it makes a real big difference and your seller is lying to you since it's the reason why there are H8 kits and H11 kits. H8's aren't meant for 6.5's (07-08) gens since the wattage we need for our fogs are gonna be higher. You should definitely return the H8's and get H11's.

Also, to the best of my knowledge. You don't need a "can-bus" ballast since 6th gens doesn't have a CAN system. I know it's designed not to throw error signs to the system but 6.5 gens don't need nor even have them. Like I said before, get an H11 kit for your fogs first. Your H8 is DEFINITELY one of your problems.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Well, the H8's will fit like you stated but the wattage is what's going to throw your electrical system for a loop. Honestly it makes a real big difference and your seller is lying to you since it's the reason why there are H8 kits and H11 kits. H8's aren't meant for 6.5's (07-08) gens since the wattage we need for our fogs are gonna be higher. You should definitely return the H8's and get H11's.

Also, to the best of my knowledge. You don't need a "can-bus" ballast since 6th gens doesn't have a CAN system. I know it's designed not to throw error signs to the system but 6.5 gens don't need nor even have them. Like I said before, get an H11 kit for your fogs first. Your H8 is DEFINITELY one of your problems.
I think I must have forgot to mention also that the HID kits both of them I bought were 35 watt kits not 55 watt.

Quick Reply: HID to relay or not to relay that is the Q?