6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Motor mount replacement problems..

Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Motor mount replacement problems..

I figured it may be easier to start a different thread for my particular problem as the other was an older thread resurrection. Here's where I'm at:
PLEASE HELP!!!!! I'm in the middle of changing the front and rear mounts in my '05. I'm completely stuck with the rear mount. I got the front done which wasn't fun but now I can't get the rear out. I got all 3 bolts loose, pulled the 3 bolts from the heat shield and bracket that were attached to the mount, and pulled the sensor wire loose. I got the top and bottom rear bolts out. The bottom front bolt head is facing the driver side which points directly at the edge of the transmission case. So the bolt can't come out. Obviously I need to get it out to pull the mount. I pulled the tranny mount and lifted the engine as far as it could go without crushing things in the engine bay. Can't go far enough. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really stuck and need help. Here's some pics to explain:
Before I lifted the engine:

And how it sits now with engine lifted and moved as far as I can get it:

To update and answer the question (kryogen) from the other thread, I used those instructions for the racingline MMI's as a guideline on how to get the mounts out/in but I'm not installing the MMI's. Just new mounts. The inserts are an addition to the factory mount. They don't replace the rubber that's cracked/dried out in the mounts. So the whole mount needs to be changed.

Anyone got any other thoughts? This hasn't happened to anyone else??
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM

By the way. The pics don't help much from the MMI instructions because they are of a 2.5L Altima and mine is a 3.5L maxima. The bolts face the opposite way on them. On mine, the rear pre-cat is in the way of swapping the bolt to the other side. As of right now, the only option I'm seeing is cut the bolt out and remove it and the mount. Pull the pre-cat (which I really didn't want to do.. exhaust bolts love to strip in cast iron!!), and put it all back in with a new bolt the opposite direction.. Any thoughts??
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 AM

No clue. Do you have to remove the Y pipe?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you have 3 options. Your car is a 5AT I assume since the bolt makes contact with the transmission.

1) loosen the transmission mount so the transmission can move a bit more and get out of the way

2) lower the subframe just a bit to get the bolt out of the way

3) cut the bolt, buy an new one and reinsert it from the other side
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Yes, I did remove the Y-pipe. And yes, it's a 5AT. Those were exactly the 3 options I was considering. I really don't want to split the tranny from the engine, or lower the subframe. I'm thinking cutting the bolt is the best option. Start praying none of the bolts holding the pre-cat strip.... Thanks for the suggestions..

Last edited by warlok; 02-24-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM
TAZ

Originally Posted by warlok
Yes, I did remove the Y-pipe. And yes, it's a 5AT. Those were exactly the 3 options I was considering. I really don't want to split the tranny from the engine, or lower the subframe. I'm thinking cutting the bolt is the best option. Start praying none of the bolts holding the pre-cat strip.... Thanks for the suggestions..
I didn't mean to split the tranny, just to remove the side transmission mount located under the air filter
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM

IMHO, I would go with option 3 if that bolt is readily available and inexpensive and there is ample room on the other side to fit the bolt.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 PM

can you just replace the inserts or you need new mounts??? what can go bad with the rest of the mount
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Racingline
I didn't mean to split the tranny, just to remove the side transmission mount located under the air filter
I pulled the tranny mount, lifted the engine, and shifted it as far over and forward as It would move. That's where I was at in the last pics.. I'm going to cut the bolt. Haven't got out there to do it yet but I'll post up how it goes.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Kryogen - I'm not sure what you mean by inserts?? The only "inserts" I know of are the racingline ones that fill and stiffen the stock rubber in the mounts. The rubber in the stock mounts isn't replaceable (that I know of). On mine, the rubber in the front mount was cracked, the oil leaked out, and was weakened because of it. I can't see the crack in the rear yet as I don't have it out but in the pics, you can see the oil all around the area, that's the oil from the mount that is leaking out.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Oh I though they were replacements for rubber.

Where is the oil in the mounts?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 PM

Oil was right behind the rubber crack in mine..

Anyone think it's a bad idea to replace the bolt with a 1/2" grade 5 bolt? The original is .470" and the coating (I'm guessing) looks like it's a grade 8.Marking on head is a 9 or a b. I have one here the correct length and .495 shank but grade 5. It's a shear load, as long as it fits the hole, should be fine, right?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
TAZ

the factory bolt is a grade 10.9 M12 bolt which is more comparable to a SAE grade 8. I'd pick up a grade 8 from the home depot if you can. But in a pinch realistically you will probably be fine
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM

One thing I noticed that nobody else mentioned is to unbolt the bracket attached to the engine. Then unbolt the mount from the cross member. Then you will be able to pull out the mount with bracket and remove the bolt.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Where does the oil come from
Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Well.... After looking at the precat and seeing that it has heat shields and plenty of other **** in the way, while then looking for **** to throw around my garage, I saw my biggest prybar sitting on the floor. Instead of throwing it, I decided, that either the engine was moving out of the way of the bolt, or I was pulling hard enough to rip the car off the jackstands and I'd be in the hospital and not care about it anymore... Lo and behold, the jackstands held and I was able to smack the bolt out with a hammer. And then was able to shimmy the mount out. If i would have measured, I'm guessing there was about .000000000001" clearance to get it out. This bay is really tight!! So the removal is done.. Woohoo!!

One thing to note - The mounts I got off ebay have the exact same markings, part numbers, even the Bridgestone logo in the rubber and on the sensors as the factory ones. But there were 2 issues. First, the rear mount has a bracket welded to it with a threaded block for the heat shield mount. The new one didn't have the block so I had to cut it off the old one and weld to the new one. Second, the wires for the sensor on the rear was about 7" shorter than the factory one. still worked but routed slightly different.

Now it's all back together, need to fill the coolant and tighten O2 sensor and test drive tomorrow. I reiterate.. Woohoo!! Thanks for the suggestions fellas!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Kryogen - If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take pics of the old mounts where they are cracked and leaked..
Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 AM

yes please, and tell us the difference it did to the car
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Well done and am considering perrforming this surgery on my 05 Max.......
Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Bo'

hey warlock....I feel your pain....im in the middle of replacing my motor mounts...my only problem is that ive ordered MMi's( motor mount inserts) from raceline and I haven't gotten them. ive replace left and right but front is out only, need the inserts and the rear I haven't even started
ive been looking at the rear and I don't think I should replace it...
but my only question is....are u able to insert the MMI's into an aftermarket mount.
the original front mount insert gap goes all the way through...meaning u could see through it...the ones I got off ebay, aren't all the way through.....does this mean I wont be able to use the inserts?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bo'
hey warlock....I feel your pain....im in the middle of replacing my motor mounts...my only problem is that ive ordered MMi's( motor mount inserts) from raceline and I haven't gotten them. ive replace left and right but front is out only, need the inserts and the rear I haven't even started
ive been looking at the rear and I don't think I should replace it...
but my only question is....are u able to insert the MMI's into an aftermarket mount.
the original front mount insert gap goes all the way through...meaning u could see through it...the ones I got off ebay, aren't all the way through.....does this mean I wont be able to use the inserts?
Post some pics of your old and new ones side by side please.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Jumpstarting this tread!!!!

I removed the Y-pipe, and able to loosen the 2 lower bolts on the MM.

However to save my life I could not:

- loosen the center MM bolt
- Lower the subframe (even after loosen all 4 bolts and supporting the tranny/engine with jack)

What am I doing wrong???
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ml#post8928439

Got it done today. Click on link above to see full write-up...

Last edited by Les7311; 03-17-2014 at 07:09 AM.