6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Do you have a stick or an AT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jopa416
Then they should not call it a 4DSC. Call it a luxury car like the others you mention. Acura TL and Mercedes C300 can be had with manuals. If Nissan wants to build "A-Like-A" cars to an Avalon, designed by marketing, that is their perogative, but then they have tons of competition. Doesn't mean that I have to like it or buy one...and I am not a college student looking to buy a 10 year old Maxima.
Haha well then send them a letter and tell them that cause they definitely don't read these forums.

I'm not targeting anyone in specific but there are a lot of students on these boards who are looking to buy old maximas but still complain about the new ones even though they can't afford it.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 AM

Then they should not call it a 4DSC....and I am not a college student looking to buy a 10 year old Maxima.
I agree. I am not a college student, either. I am 71 years old and will only buy a new car that has a manual trannie in her. I like the control that only a manual trannie gives me. The trick that some auto trannies give you of making you think you are shifting gears does not work for me. I want the direct connection through the clutch and the trannie that connects the engine to the drive wheels with no slipping or fluid connection.

Living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, I use my manual trannie every time I leave home and have to drop over 1 K feet in elevation to get into town. I use engine braking rather than ride my brakes down the hill into town. I burned out the auto trannie in my previous car doing the same thing - and it did not work as well as my Maxima's manual does today. Can't beat that direct connection - whether it is engine braking or accelerating.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 04-27-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'04 SE
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 MT
Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Just as a curiosity, where did you get those numbers? Does Nissan publish them. Nice to know that I have a car that is 1 of 754 & I bet not many have the Elite Package.

I wish Nissan would offer a 6-Speed as a special edition order only car.
As far as I know we don't really publish them. I work for Nissan and have access to programs that can tell me how many models were made with certain things. It isn't used for this it is used for warranty analysis but doing things like this can be a bonus sometimes.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by malv1
As far as I know we don't really publish them. I work for Nissan and have access to programs that can tell me how many models were made with certain things. It isn't used for this it is used for warranty analysis but doing things like this can be a bonus sometimes.
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks

Originally Posted by malv1
I appreciate your looking the numbers up. If you can do it without too much trouble, and not get in trouble, can you tell how many '06's had the Elite Package & 6-Speed.

Also, to all the automatic guys, not hating on your cars. Honestly, I've driven in Wash DC Traffic many times & if I lived in any of the big cities on the east coast I would have an automatic so fast that mating rabbits would be jealous.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

2008 CVT all day long . 6 speed would be alot better but hey CVT or Manuel mode still do the same thing
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM

CVT hatred is understandable. People need to learn to appreciate the CVT it sounds like a boss when you floor it. People turn there heads like WTF just passed me holy mother jeus
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rsprince89
2008 CVT all day long . 6 speed would be alot better but hey CVT or Manuel mode still do the same thing
Uh no! A 6 speed and a CVT in manual "mode" are not NEARLY the same thing.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
I agree ! Read my post #82 about engine braking to see why this is the case.

And the CVT creates a great deal of heat. You also create heat using the trannie to obtain engine braking - you don't want extra heat in your CVT, so recommend you don't do engine braking with your CVT.

The manual trannie is all about control. And when you have a computer doing the control (as you have in any modern auto trannie, including the CVT), you as the driver lose complete control - even in manual mode.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 04-29-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2005 Se; 6-speed with leather interior with 55 K miles. Really great car

When I was in the market for a new (to me) vehicle, the item that was at the top of my list was a manual transmission. I knew I wanted a 6th gen Maxima so I began my search. After thoroughly searching for a week, I was only able to find 2 SEs with leather interior and a manual transmission within 300 miles of my house! Is the manual transmission that rare? Or is it the combo of leather and a manual? Or is it that no one who has a manual wants to sell it? I drove 4 hours from my house to get mine - an 04 SE, manual, black leather and only 59,000 miles!

So I guess the question is, how many of you have a manual and how many of you have an AT?

As stated in the title section, I have a 2005 Maxima, 6-speed, leather interior with 55K miles. Great car.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by KMolloy
As stated in the title section, I have a 2005 Maxima, 6-speed, leather interior with 55K miles. Great car.
Awesome miles for an 05!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Hey guys! Ive been out of the Max scene for several years but now Im back and happy about being back. I just picked up an '07 SE with CVT. I would rather have a 6 sp but beggars cant be choosy in my situation and I was lucky to get back in one. Greetings to all.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 PM

I appreciate your looking the numbers up. If you can do it without too much trouble, and not get in trouble, can you tell how many '06's had the Elite Package & 6-Speed.
Sure I was off this week, we just had our 2nd child on Monday so I was off this week but I will be back Monday. I will get that info this week and post it up.

Glad I can be of some assistance, I know how cool it can be to find out this kind of info, just wish I knew someone that worked at Volvo... I would like to find out some specifics on my 850 T5-R
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 PM

I just bought an 04 maxima se 6-speed 108k miles with navi. Its my first car and I love this website. I'm mastering driving manual and don't think ill ever go back to auto. Although I dread going into manhattan as it is a pain in the a$$, I live in queens.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ruiz2728
I just bought an 04 maxima se 6-speed 108k miles with navi. Its my first car and I love this website. I'm mastering driving manual and don't think ill ever go back to auto. Although I dread going into manhattan as it is a pain in the a$$, I live in queens.
My 04 with 6-speed has 105 K miles and I have owned her from the beginning (May of 03).

I love my stick, and as long as I can push in a clutch, that will be the only vehicle I own from now on. Unlike you I have been driving for many years (since 1956) and have had both auto and manual trannies on my cars. I no longer live in a big city (like NYC), but lived in the Chicago area for many years - you get used to pushing in the clutch, even in traffic like that. You will get used to the added control that a stick gives you, even in heavy traffic. You can also coast in neutral and save gas. Would have nothing else.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 AM

There were 25 6-speed with the Elite package produced for 2006 so you have a low number car for sure. What was interesting to me to find was the manual was only available in 3 colors for 2006...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 06 SL Auto but I love it, comes with sport shift so it's all good.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 04 SE Auto. I'm not very good at driving manual so I stuck with auto.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 PM

I have a 06 SE Auto with 98K miles. I purchased it new.

The tranny was rebuilt with a new Valve body at 82K miles.

One day I will learn to drive a manual
Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 AM

i just bought this car for my house dragon... she had no idea how to drive a stick, but she was ready to learn... she actually picked it up pretty quickly too.. it is a 2004 SE 6 speed with what i believe is the "elite" package.... it has 81,000 miles and i got it for 11,000 out the door.... we are really diggin the rear privacy screen too... heres some pics..

Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by vmax
One day I will learn to drive a manual
The only way to learn is to do.

It helps if there is someone to tell you what you are doing wrong. But even without that, you can teach yourself. It is not rocket science. Remember to slip the clutch slightly when starting from a dead stop. Remember to push in the clutch when shifting gears. That't about it.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jljered
i just bought this car for my house dragon... she had no idea how to drive a stick, but she was ready to learn... she actually picked it up pretty quickly too.. it is a 2004 SE 6 speed with what i believe is the "elite" package.... it has 81,000 miles and i got it for 11,000 out the door.... we are really diggin the rear privacy screen too... heres some pics..

Very nice! I would love to have the elite package.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM

STICKY?!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I got a 06 6spd. i love it. Don't have leather seat's. But i don't like leather seat's. So it worked out for me. An it came with 18" factory rims. Which i really liked.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 PM

BUMP!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM

So true..........
CVT isn't bad except for the aural sound of a redline rev when speeding. (for this reason I probably would want my engine as quiet as possible) With a conventional auto or when you can shift your own gears there is nothing sexier than hearing the change in intake and/or exhaust when running thru the gears. Also I noticed and seen from mag test the 0-30mph time is not impressive on CVT cars.

And forget all the nonsense that manual mode for cvt or auto is same as manual tranny. Can you launch at 3k? Hold a specific gear?
I know the car makes got fancy and convinced a lot of people "If you move the shifter to manual mode it can be stick" but unless you have some kind of dsg or dual clutch auto, its not true. I might have well said that about my auto 95 Maxima....moving gear lever up and down from D to 3, 2, 1.

6spd manual here. And whenever I get another car I''ll go stick again but choices are getting more and more limited.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 7speed
So true..........
CVT isn't bad except for the aural sound of a redline rev when speeding. (for this reason I probably would want my engine as quiet as possible) With a conventional auto or when you can shift your own gears there is nothing sexier than hearing the change in intake and/or exhaust when running thru the gears. Also I noticed and seen from mag test the 0-30mph time is not impressive on CVT cars.

And forget all the nonsense that manual mode for cvt or auto is same as manual tranny. Can you launch at 3k? Hold a specific gear?
I know the car makes got fancy and convinced a lot of people "If you move the shifter to manual mode it can be stick" but unless you have some kind of dsg or dual clutch auto, its not true. I might have well said that about my auto 95 Maxima....moving gear lever up and down from D to 3, 2, 1.

6spd manual here. And whenever I get another car I''ll go stick again but choices are getting more and more limited.
I agree completely. Who wants a computer doing some of the driving for you. A computer can't see down the road and anticipate things that you see coming (and few computers shift an auto trannie in anticipation of anything). And your mind does not work as much at driving with an auto trannie. Also, these trannies develope a lot of heat, so they are not good for engine braking - who wants to save brake pads at the expense of a costly trannie repair. Here in the mountains of Colorado, I use my 6-speed all the time for engine braking - I have over 120 K miles and the original brake pads - with no trannie or engine problems either.

I just wonder how much longer any car company will be making manual trannies here in the states - they are plentiful in Europe.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 08-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 PM

6mt here. would not go AT if possible in any of my future car purchases. but we all know that this is becoming impossible to have real manual transmission cars anymore

on a side note, will drool so much over an elite package orange paint/leather 4 speed maxima anyone here has one?