6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cutting stock springs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Cutting stock springs...

Has anyone cut a coil or so off the stock front springs? I think it's stupid that the front end sits higher than the rear end. I've already got KYB struts, strut mounts, and swaybar links ready to put on but I'm not going to do all of that and leave the springs alone. I just want to level it out and prefer not to lower the rear any at all....already scraped the stock exhaust tips a couple of times.

Anyone...Bueller............Bueller..............B ueller
Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Got Retrofit?

Just get lowering springs up front.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Once again

NO !
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Have you thought about raising your rear end?

Check this out what coolmax05 have done. LINK
Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM

cut it. I would only one turn out. Make sure you line up the cut with the stock position otherwise it won't fit right. Since the spring is the same width from top to bottom, you should be fine. I have seen this done and it does nothing to the compression except make the travel distance shorter.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
Have you thought about raising your rear end?

Check this out what coolmax05 have done. LINK
Interesting idea. I rarely have 4 people in my car but when I do the *** end is seriously dragging and I've also hit the bump stops more than once.

Originally Posted by po8pimp
cut it. I would only one turn out. Make sure you line up the cut with the stock position otherwise it won't fit right. Since the spring is the same width from top to bottom, you should be fine. I have seen this done and it does nothing to the compression except make the travel distance shorter.
I think I will cut the front ones for now. I'm going to take some pictures of the springs with the car sitting on the ground so I know where to cut them. You're probably right about cutting 1 coil off. That will probably be about right.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
KC's FINEST

Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM

the hell ...

this ain't no honda

get some springs or coil overs
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by taz394
the hell ...

this ain't no honda

get some springs or coil overs
lol - you can get a nice deal on a set of progress springs man - it will look nicer and deff. be less ghetto than cutting the springs
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM

I'm ghetto like that. I've been putting off putting struts on the car for 6 months because I kept thinking I was going to trade it in. Well, I've still got it so I figure it's time to go ahead and give it what it needs. Not looking to dump any extra cash into it as I may trade it off at anytime. Also, like I said, I don't want to lower the rear end. And I think spending $200 on springs and only using 2 of them is a waste. So I'm breaking out the air cut off wheel and going to town. If it ends up riding like crap or something I'll fix it the non-ghetto way.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
I'm ghetto like that. I've been putting off putting struts on the car for 6 months because I kept thinking I was going to trade it in. Well, I've still got it so I figure it's time to go ahead and give it what it needs. Not looking to dump any extra cash into it as I may trade it off at anytime. Also, like I said, I don't want to lower the rear end. And I think spending $200 on springs and only using 2 of them is a waste. So I'm breaking out the air cut off wheel and going to town. If it ends up riding like crap or something I'll fix it the non-ghetto way.
I get your point dude, after the 1st mod i figured i will never EVER get my money back so I gave up justifying it to the wife - hope everything works out well for you - post some pics when you complete the work bro
Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM

is mom or dad paying this car note? then hell yea, cut the damn springs. in fact, do whatever you want to the car, mode it until it falls apart. remember someone is always there to pick up a bill for you. oh did i mention few things-
1- any modding on suspension puts extra stress on something else in the vicinity.
2- front suspension components can rack you up to several thousands,
3- suspension components can also fail on you while driving 75 on busy hwy, i assume you don't want number three at all cost. ever seen modded vehicle with the wheel fallen off on curbside? i have.

bottom line- leave suspension alone unless desperate for trouble or someone picks up the bill or both.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
is mom or dad paying this car note? then hell yea, cut the damn springs. in fact, do whatever you want to the car, mode it until it falls apart. remember someone is always there to pick up a bill for you. oh did i mention few things-
1- any modding on suspension puts extra stress on something else in the vicinity.
2- front suspension components can rack you up to several thousands,
3- suspension components can also fail on you while driving 75 on busy hwy, i assume you don't want number three at all cost. ever seen modded vehicle with the wheel fallen off on curbside? i have.

bottom line- leave suspension alone unless desperate for trouble or someone picks up the bill or both.
Thanks for your concern but I've been modding cars for years, I'm confident in my abilities and I'm cuttin' the mf'ers. I also paid for the car and have the title.

I've lowered a few cars I've owned and helped lower several others and have never had any problems with anything related to the car being lowered. You get problems when you;

A: Have someone work on your car that doesn't know what they're doing.

B: Don't know much about cars yourself and ignore warning signs of a part going bad on you car and keep driving until that part is dangerously worn or breaks.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:19 PM

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM

A friend and I changed the shocks and struts last night and ended up not cutting the springs. The coil spacing does not stay the same at the bottom of the spring, it gets tighter. If I cut a coil off I was worried about the tip of the spring putting too much pressure where it contacts the strut. The KYBs are quite a bit stiffer than stock 83,000 miles struts. Feel a lot more bumps but the rear end doesn't bounce like it did with the old struts. Still have the same damn squeak in the front end though. I guess I'm going to go ahead and put the swaybar bushings and endlinks on it now even though the old ones didn't seem to have any play. If that doesn't get rid of the squeak I'll give it a wd-40 bath.

Last edited by jasoneon; 01-31-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM

I had the similar problem with the sound coming from the front. My tech guy checked the end links and they seemed fine so the wd-40 bath helped as the sounds is gone.

You will love the KYB's bud - congrats on the purchase!!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Monroe SensaTracs are so much better than OEM and KYBs. Just my honest opinion.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I personally cut the front springs on my 07 max for the same reasons. Why Nissan designed the car that way is a mystery to me. Anyways, it worked out great until I got in near accident, swerved, hit a big *** pothole, and had the spring pop out of place and dig into my tire. Keep in mind the springs were cut the "right" way, and seemed perfectly safe. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson about cheaping out.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM

there is no justice in cutting springs for any car in my opinion

leave it as it is then
Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM

I can understand having to do this if there were no springs available but when they are. You are just ghetto and cheap and should be not allowed to modify cars.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cutting stock springs, that doesnt even sound right. there stock for a reason, just spend the money and buy some. you should be getting tax returns back soon!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
I can understand having to do this if there were no springs available but when they are. You are just ghetto and cheap and should be not allowed to modify cars.
I already said I was ghetto several posts ago And like it or not I am allowed to modify cars. This thing isn't even modded, that's my other car.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im new to the nissan forums guys and i no not the cut the springs.. i was a honda guy and got over on the nissan side .. coming from a guy that always cut springs for them hondas "dont do ittt"
Old 05-07-2011, 02:19 PM

If you cut more than 1 coil out the car will be bounce like crazy...lowering springs are only about 200...

I think I will cut the front ones for now. I'm going to take some pictures of the springs with the car sitting on the ground so I know where to cut them. You're probably right about cutting 1 coil off. That will probably be about right.[/quote]
Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 PM

cutting them sounds a little risky to me but then again i have 0 experience with cut springs. keep us updated on how it turns out
Old 05-08-2011, 12:30 PM

I tried this and had to buy some Teins, they just wouldn't sit right after cutting them!! just my .02C
Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
A friend and I changed the shocks and struts last night and ended up not cutting the springs. The coil spacing does not stay the same at the bottom of the spring, it gets tighter. If I cut a coil off I was worried about the tip of the spring putting too much pressure where it contacts the strut. The KYBs are quite a bit stiffer than stock 83,000 miles struts. Feel a lot more bumps but the rear end doesn't bounce like it did with the old struts. Still have the same damn squeak in the front end though. I guess I'm going to go ahead and put the swaybar bushings and endlinks on it now even though the old ones didn't seem to have any play. If that doesn't get rid of the squeak I'll give it a wd-40 bath.

^^^^from 3 months ago^^^^
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice look
Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM
KC's FINEST

LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Why anyone would cut springs is beyond me...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 PM

whats the drop on the tein springs? how much stiffer is the ride with these drop springs like tein or eibach, progress? which one is more comfortable in nyc ?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 AM

I would do a homemade coilover. Cut the spring in the middle, and twist it like you want, then solder it there. That way you will be sure that the size is right at the top and bottom, plus it will look like a coilover. Paint it red.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
I would do a homemade coilover. Cut the spring in the middle, and twist it like you want, then solder it there. That way you will be sure that the size is right at the top and bottom, plus it will look like a coilover. Paint it red.
What!!?? Solder??!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by chris350
whats the drop on the tein springs? how much stiffer is the ride with these drop springs like tein or eibach, progress? which one is more comfortable in nyc ?
Tein
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Never cut springs. Springs are heat treated and quenched, any localized heating, especially with a torch will weaken the spring and crack in time (seen it). If you are going to lower the car, you need to increase the spring rate, or go with progressive springs. The damping needs to go up if you don't want to get all bouncy, so a strut change is recommended. Mind you the stock struts do offer good damping already.

KYB make good struts, GR-2 should offer about 10% more damping than stock, so will handle a 0.5in-1in drop. Too bad the KYB AGX aren't available.

Yeah I'm new to the forum. Insurances declared my Subaru a total loss. Needed something that was sporty, could handle 3 kids, and was not an SUV or minivan.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 AM

No, cutting springs is ok if you paint them red
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wouldn't cut it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, the general consensus is leave them alone, or buy springs. Put the cut off wheel down. Got it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newb whom used "search" ^

Quick Reply: Cutting stock springs...