6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Current Timing Chain/Tensioner Job Underway Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Current Timing Chain/Tensioner Job Underway Help!

So I spoke to a buddy of mine and he told me that once I get into the timing chain case and go to remove the timing chain from the sprocket, I may run into an issue where the valve springs and tappet pressure causes the camshaft to rotate out of time... and it would be a ***** to get back right!

Has anyone ran into this before or is this a none issue with our motor?

I do not have the ring gear stopper tool as it is on backorder... FYI. I'm doing this without it. Hints?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM

I did this job, and while adjusting the timing marks went to far and the camshaft rotated like 90° from the point it should go. You have two options to correct this:
1. Most difficult - Remove the valve covers and move the camshafts using an adjustable wrench on a HEX part of the cam.
2. Easier - Put the cam gear back on, then wrap the main timing chain over the sprocket and using your hand (use gloves) and the chain to rotate the cam back where its supposed to go.

Let me know if you need more details.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Alright so I should be prepared for it to move as soon as I take the timing chain off... right? Make sure I have my timing marks put on (white out or sharpie). I do have the FSM but there was no way for me to verify that it was TDC of compression because I didn't have the valve covers off. I lined it up with TDC and pulled the crank pulley. I figure once I get in there I can make my own marks and make sure I get it back right.

I am doing it with it in the car too. Anybody have any trouble getting the power steering pump off? I have removed the two 12mm bolts holding the adjustment bracket and a long 14mm bolt from the backside... but I can't get it off for some reason... any ideas?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Alright so I should be prepared for it to move as soon as I take the timing chain off... right?
They will not move when you remove the timing chain, if you position the crankshaft and #1 cyl on TDC.

Make sure I have my timing marks put on (white out or sharpie). I do have the FSM but there was no way for me to verify that it was TDC of compression because I didn't have the valve covers off. I lined it up with TDC and pulled the crank pulley. I figure once I get in there I can make my own marks and make sure I get it back right.

Once you remove the front timing chain cover, you will see a mark on the rear timing cover that lines up with a crankshaft mark, thats where TDC should be. To confirm if the #1 cyl is at TDC, the locating pin hole on the exhaust camshaft sprocket should be pointing up. Same apply for opposite exhaust camshaft sproket

I am doing it with it in the car too. Anybody have any trouble getting the power steering pump off? I have removed the two 12mm bolts holding the adjustment bracket and a long 14mm bolt from the backside... but I can't get it off for some reason... any ideas?

It will not come out easily, I used a wheel lugnut wrench to act as a prybar in order to pull the PS pump our of the bracket.