6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

H3 HID Fog Install

Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 PM

H3 HID Fog Install

Okay so I ordered a set of hidextra.com Black Friday special H3 foglight HIDs. When I went to install them, I cannot find how to connect the factory plug to the ballast because they will not fit. Has anyone had this issue before? My brothers Pathfinder also has H3 fogs and his wont fit either.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
*moderator*

I would contact the seller, there should have been instructions on how to do it. I got mine from Operatic here on the org and they went in no problem...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 PM

I just emailed HID Extra waiting to see what their reply is... I was looking around through Google and I feel like Im the only one having this problem. I just figured this would be more common since the H3 kit my brother ordered doesnt work for his Pathfinder.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 AM

I called HID Extra and they are being no help. She is saying that this is not supposed to be a plug-and-play kit and that there is a need for some sort of harness. I told her that it was advertised as plug-and-play so there should be no need to pay for an extra harness and I was told to take pictures of everything and she can maybe send me another size that works.

Most likely I will end up sending these back and going with another company that is plug-and-play..
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM

that's a bit concerning since I ordered the kit from them last week with the same understanding that it'd be plug and play.... hmm.. we'll see what I get.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM

ummm

i think their kits used to be plug and play in the beginning but then went cheap and didn't include the connector so all u have are 2 prongs that you stick into the stock connector.

the pictures even show plug and play but then most of the installs i've read on the 7th gen forums prove that it's not since some members made their own connector piece (not sure which ballast they bought, normal or slim, i'm thinking normal)

i've bought 2 digital slim kits from hidextra and installed one set on the low beams and waiting for my fog lamps to come in, to install the other set.

i purchased the digital slim kit because it really is "plug and play" with the stock connector on the other end instead of the prongs. it's on their website that it's direct plug and play.

conclusion:
cheap standard ballast is not truly plug and play = 2 prongs
digital slim ballast is REAL PLUG AND PLAY

i can take a picture of my kit if u want since it's sitting in my room waiting to be installed...most likely after the rain stops

u can still use ur kit...use a voltmeter to see which one is power...if not...just swap around the prongs if it doesn't work
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Life- Thanks for the advice and pictures would be awesome. I would like to hook this up tomorrow but how do you connect the factory connector to the ballast? Thats where my hang up is because I cant figure out how to get power to the ballast itself.

Worse comes to worse ill just have to return and order the better kit
Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM

here are the pics

pic of both kits:

hidextra digital slim kit with plug and play connector:

helios hid kit (i think similar to hidexta normal ballast kit with 2 prongs): *this is probably what you have? with the 2 prongs...the blue adapter you see there is for a 9004 bulb...u can probably buy a blue adapter like on ebay?

Last edited by Llfe; 12-21-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by balla7733
Okay so I ordered a set of hidextra.com Black Friday special H3 foglight HIDs. When I went to install them, I cannot find how to connect the factory plug to the ballast because they will not fit. Has anyone had this issue before? My brothers Pathfinder also has H3 fogs and his wont fit either.
Wow definitely your first rodeo.......!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Wow definitely your first rodeo.......!
plug and play is confusing for 1st timers
Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by balla7733
Just put HID fogs in my car tonight, lets see if I can recall, the ballast has 2 wires coming out of it, 1 is longer has the relay on it and then the end has 2 connections, those connect to the upgraded light the other short wire coming out of the ballast connects to the original connector that you unplugged the factor light from

If your kit does not have connectors, just take the prongs and stick them into the opposite connector and use some electrical tape

Last edited by STARR; 12-22-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Ok I spent today and just took my time installing them. Yea Im used to the 9006 kits that the factory harness goes to the ballast which then goes to the headlights. The most difficult part was the relay back then.

Everything went well and I even got some pictures along the way. Hopefully I can get time tomorrow to make a write-up on it. It really isnt that bad if you take your time with it and learn along the way. Took me about 4 hours with breaks in between to hook up my HIDs and switchbacks.. Now on to fix the switchback problems..
Old 12-24-2010, 09:18 AM

Ok this is my first writeup, first time dropping the bumper, and first time installing H3 HIDs. Hopefully this all comes out right..

First it is necessary to drop the bumper. Make sure you lay down a towel to prevent scratching your bumper.

These are some closer pictures of some of the screws necessary for removing the bumper/headlights.

Picture of the headlight removed with the foglight dust cover removed.

This is a picture of how I stripped the wires for the kit to fit through the foglight cap.

Cut a hole through the dust cap and thread the wires through it. On the inside everything is mostly self-explanatory. The main goal is to plug your red and black connectors into the factory ones and for a good connection it may be necessary to bend them to fit more snug and to be extra sure I wrapped them in electrical tape as well.

Once youre done on the inside, put the cap back on and clean up your wiring. I decided to mount the ballast on the headlight simply because there was enough room right there and it simplified the installation.

Put everything back together and enjoy your new lights! While I was going through all this I also went ahead and installed my switchback leds with the resistors mounted in the trunk.

References:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...r-removal.html (post #2, this was the best writeup I had seen on how to remove the bumper)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Hopefully I can get time tomorrow to make a write-up on it. It really isnt that bad if you take your time with it and learn along the way. Took me about 4 hours with breaks in between to hook up my HIDs and switchbacks.. Now on to fix the switchback problems..