6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by edjose17
Hopefully the class action cover the 2006/06 3.5L Altima with this same 5-speed auto transmission.
I think the transmission will be the primary target not necessarily the 6th Gen Maxima. If the suit wins it would be a no brainer that any Altima owner with the same tranny would have an easy case.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I see a lot of new members posting in this thread that seem to have no idea there is a thread (STICKY) on possible fixes. Maybe I should lock this until someone contacts me about actual progress.

Please read this before continuing to stray off topic:
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html

or here
http://forums.maxima.org/7400151-post3.html

lawsuits take time man, lots of time. please don't lock this thread as it concerns all of us, including you. just because new members are overlooking the stickies, like you probably did the first time you became a member of a forum, locking it will affect all of us. a lot of us don't want to pay or get our hands dirty to apply these "fixes" because nissan dropped the ball. it should be taken care of by the ones responsible. not us. if the ball gets rolling on this we will all save some money in the event. suits like this happen all the time and to save money in restitution, car companies agree to do recalls, broken trans or not. this best case scenario is still possible till the judge gives his order.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
lawsuits take time man, lots of time. please don't lock this thread as it concerns all of us, including you. just because new members are overlooking the stickies, like you probably did the first time you became a member of a forum, locking it will affect all of us. a lot of us don't want to pay or get our hands dirty to apply these "fixes" because nissan dropped the ball. it should be taken care of by the ones responsible. not us. if the ball gets rolling on this we will all save some money in the event. suits like this happen all the time and to save money in restitution, car companies agree to do recalls, broken trans or not. this best case scenario is still possible till the judge gives his order.

Now days most are struggling to make ends meet and needless to say do not have the money nor credit card for the fix.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM

I do not have money to fix my car, a recall needs to happen soon, dammit.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM

The good news is the lawsuit alone without a day in court could just force Nissan to fix the real problem and cover repair costs. Not everyone has the time and money to fix it and even though there are other fixes available, it will never fix the damage it cost when or if it spreads to the main area of the transmission and damages the gears.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

I dont know anything about this planned suit but take a look at this decade old saga involving a class action lawsuit for the 1996-1999 Ford Taurus SHO regarding its flawed cam shaft issue leading to total engine failure:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Lawsuit%20U...%20Edition.htm

If you dont feel like reading, the moral of the story is when you kick the big dog it bares its teeth. Try as you may, Nissan and Ford are protected by an explicitly stated warrenty as well as a huge team of lawyers. The really bad part is that by the time a decision is made on the case, if there even is one, 90% of the plaintiffs will have long moved on by that time...I think this case is pretty relevent if you are trying to prove Nissan liable outside their warrenty for a handful of owners who have this issue. One thing that immediately comes to mind is changing the fluid, which if any of you had done, especially without nissan fluid at a nissan dealer, you're probobly out, and im not even a lawyer..

Last edited by 04BlackMaxx; 04-16-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I dont know anything about this planned suit but take a look at this decade old saga involving a class action lawsuit for the 1996-1999 Ford Taurus SHO regarding its flawed cam shaft issue leading to total engine failure:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Lawsuit%20U...%20Edition.htm

If you dont feel like reading, the moral of the story is when you kick the big dog it bares its teeth. Try as you may, Nissan and Ford are protected by an explicitly stated warrenty as well as a huge team of lawyers. The really bad part is that by the time a decision is made on the case, if there even is one, 90% of the plaintiffs will have long moved on by that time...I think this case is pretty relevent if you are trying to prove Nissan liable outside their warrenty for a handful of owners who have this issue. One thing that immediately comes to mind is changing the fluid, which if any of you had done, especially without nissan fluid at a nissan dealer, you're probobly out, and im not even a lawyer..

I'd rather try to help then sit back and do nothing and take it, too many problems nation wide with the tranny to ignore. Not looking for money but a fix to an engineering flaw Nissan created, not the drivers who purchased the cars in good faith. Fix the Problem, Not the Blame!

Problems do NOT get solved by doing Nothing, Nissan just needs a little push! This is moving forward!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I'd rather try to help then sit back and do nothing and take it, too many problems nation wide with the tranny to ignore. Not looking for money but a fix to an engineering flaw Nissan created, not the drivers who purchased the cars in good faith. Fix the Problem, Not the Blame!

Problems do NOT get solved by doing Nothing, Nissan just needs a little push! This is moving forward!

Respecting you more and more. Its bone heads like the post above who b!tch and complain but do nothing. the moral of the story with everything, including politics. you people are TOTALLY USELESS!!! I just want to say thanks Chern while your successful or not, your pullin up your drawers and getting **** done. Whether your successful or not a lawsuits help keep checks on car companies from screwing the pooch in other models. so either way you look at it you will be winning.

And black max, what the HELL do you know about changing the fluid and using that stipulation as terms for disqualification. your right about something, your NOT an attorney. unless it says in your owners Manuel to NOT change the fluid, ..... you know what your not worth my time.

Again, thanks Chern, We all owe you one.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Yes this is for NON CVT (04-06 Only)
I Waz gettin worried, I just bought a 2007 a few months back. Good thing I totaled my 2005?!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll do all I can as well. My wife drives an '04 with about 80,xxx miles on it. Same shifting issues as listed in all of the previous posts. Harsh shifting transmission. I expected so much more from the Maxima.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, I just put a deposit down on a 2004 Maxima SE, with all the bells and whistles. Fell in love with the car since it was garage kept and only has 57,000 miles by the original owner. Funny thing, the owner of the dealership mentioned the 07 CVT transmission problem, but never mentioned the issues I have read on this forum. I am printing the results from the NHTSA site to get my deposit back. Man, am I disappointed!!!

Just to verify, do you think it is wise to move forward with the purchase as long as I purchase an extended warranty? Was thinking of a third party Ext Warranty.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread, tried to create a new thread, was denied.

Last edited by EasyRider; 04-17-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

I would advise checking out the SHO lawsuit and take it for what its worth, a similar incident involving a group of owners online challenging a big auto manufacturer. Im not saying to drop everything or trying to be a ****, just something that came to mind, thats all.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread, tried to create a new thread, was denied.
we have enough threads concerning problems with the Maxima. We don't like threads like this, but its inevitable. your question falls into this category as a side conversation, and there is no need to begin a new thread that will only survive a handful of responses.

to answer your question. YES, the Maxima is worth getting. This transmission problem does not happen to everyone. Especially if you get an extended warranty (which is always smart, not only for when something goes wrong, but its worth more then that knowing you are safe) you shouldn't worry. by the time your ex. warranty is up you will have put in enough miles to notice if the transmission is going to act up. You will also probably be eying a new car by then.

my car hit 100,000 couple months ago, going strong, and I do not have a problem, yet.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM

I would advise checking out the SHO lawsuit and take it for what its worth, a similar incident involving a group of owners online challenging a big auto manufacturer. Im not saying to drop everything or trying to be a ****, just something that came to mind, thats all.

Not only does doing nothing allow entities to continue screwing good honest people, what most likely happened is the ford company found a loop hole and got lucky on a VERY VERY rare car compared to the Maxima. In all Ford got LUCKY. Law is Law, just because you have some money doesn't mean the law doesn't apply to you. if the attorneys chern contacted find a stipulation that wasn't upheld by Nissan, it doesn't matter if Nissan has enough money to buy everyone in the world a GT-R.

You have this MOB mentality that works in the wild like your BIG dog analogy. Real life and law is more delicate. When someone is caught in the wrong they are **** out of luck money or no money.

If a stupid lady from McDonald can sue for having a hot cup of coffee, or a bugler can sue after tripping down the homeowners stairs successfully, it just goes to show you the power of exploiting an avenue of law. its not about who has the best attorney or how many. If you kicked me in public (and there's a law against assault), and had 1,000,000,000 lawyers at your hand, i could get a grad student from some law school who just passes the bar and win some restitution from you and slap a misdemeanor on your record.

Go ahead, sit here and give us ONE example of a failed car company case. If i felt like putting in the effort, i'd give you a few HUNDRED cases JUST like ours that turned out successful.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-17-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM

No need, we're moving forward with our problem and facts, no lawsuit is created equal. Your calling plays at the bottom of the ninth with one pitch left and our team is up by 20!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Good work by chern and he's setting up one good example for others.

If anyone think this case will not fly then the best thing for you is to just stay quiet. If anyone think they don't have any issues with their maxima (yet) then better book mark this thread because it won't take long for you to join the party.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
we have enough threads concerning problems with the Maxima. We don't like threads like this, but its inevitable. your question falls into this category as a side conversation, and there is no need to begin a new thread that will only survive a handful of responses.

to answer your question. YES, the Maxima is worth getting. This transmission problem does not happen to everyone. Especially if you get an extended warranty (which is always smart, not only for when something goes wrong, but its worth more then that knowing you are safe) you shouldn't worry. by the time your ex. warranty is up you will have put in enough miles to notice if the transmission is going to act up. You will also probably be eying a new car by then.

my car hit 100,000 couple months ago, going strong, and I do not have a problem, yet.
Thanks for the advise, I will continue with the purchase, including rhe extended warrantt. Will post back with an update.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM

hey at least maximum pearl has an example of an amazing maxima. yeah i have the hard shifts and sometimes ridiculously high reving coming out of a turn...but i still love my car, and even though the gussets rattle, the struts squeak, and the tranny sneezes (a lot) i still dont blame her for idiots putting her together wrong. all im gonna do is fix my problems not complain about them, because when i pull up to a crowd of people who havent seen my car they compliment it no matter what, and i always seem to enjoy feeling all those horses gallop. if you hate a car for an issue as i have seen quite a few people say about the transmission then you really have no room to hate or love a car in the first place. i want to get this problem fixed, so dont be discouraged about the lawsuit and let me know of what I (and other maxima drivers who care) can do to fix it.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DMAXI06
hey at least maximum pearl has an example of an amazing maxima. yeah i have the hard shifts and sometimes ridiculously high reving coming out of a turn...but i still love my car, and even though the gussets rattle, the struts squeak, and the tranny sneezes (a lot) i still dont blame her for idiots putting her together wrong. all im gonna do is fix my problems not complain about them, because when i pull up to a crowd of people who havent seen my car they compliment it no matter what, and i always seem to enjoy feeling all those horses gallop. if you hate a car for an issue as i have seen quite a few people say about the transmission then you really have no room to hate or love a car in the first place. i want to get this problem fixed, so dont be discouraged about the lawsuit and let me know of what I (and other maxima drivers who care) can do to fix it.

7+ years with my Maxima (purchased new Aug 2003!) , 12 years in Japan with other Nissan rides, and I've fixed a ton of ****. $3500-5000 a pop for tranny repairs is crossing the line on something that is not an assembly flaw but a design flaw. And for the record, I LOVE MY MAX TOO!

Last edited by chernmax; 04-18-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I sent an email to the lawyer's email that was posted. What else do I need to do? I'm still new to this Maxima of my wife's. She loves the car, and wants to keep it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the advise, I will continue with the purchase, including rhe extended warrantt. Will post back with an update.
Update, well I secured the loan and bought an extended warranty 4 years or 48,000 miles. So with the car at over 57,000 this would put me over 105,000. I pick the car up on Monday. Wondering if this would be within the range of miles for the tranny issues to develop?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Update, well I secured the loan and bought an extended warranty 4 years or 48,000 miles. So with the car at over 57,000 this would put me over 105,000. I pick the car up on Monday. Wondering if this would be within the range of miles for the tranny issues to develop?
If I remember correctly then the first clunk I felt in my transmission that scared the live ****t out of me was at around 112k miles. So yeah you may be lucky to find that before you hit 105k miles on your meter. If you keep changing transmission oil at every 30k miles or less then you should be fine beyong 105k miles.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM

I love my max. Just filed a complain with the nhtsa (forgot the website), 06 maxima se 5 speed, 136k milles on it...
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM

7+ years with my Maxima (purchased new Aug 2003!) , 12 years in Japan with other Nissan rides, and I've fixed a ton of ****. $3500-5000 a pop for tranny repairs is crossing the line on something that is not an assembly flaw but a design flaw. And for the record, I LOVE MY MAX TOO!
Chern's right, it is a design flaw and needs to be addressed. You purchase a vehicle with the understanding that there are no design flaws in the vehicle that are not covered under warranty. I am on my 2nd transmission. First was replaced under warranty. I installed the Transgo kit over a year ago and everything has been good so far. This is the only car I know that requires such high maintenance on the transmission. I am changing my fluid out every 12k miles or year whichever comes first to ensure the trans life on my car. I love this car just like everyone else, but paying as much as most of us have for a car to not be mechanically sound for at least 100k miles is ridiculous.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, make room on the sofa. I'm having the same problems as the rest of you. Not consistantly, but it's there, waiting... I'll take it to the shop and hope it's not too bad news.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 PM

I just bought an 06 even after reading this thread,,,,I also bought a 6yr 80k warranty to cover my azz !!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 AM

yea this transmission problem makes me wanna sell my ride
so dang stressed out
Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM

2004-2006 Maxima without warranty - you already screwed up, like me.

Two big problems - timing chain and Transmission, I wonder what left

Just because I like this car, I am still not selling it..but fixing this car for more than 4/5 K ( timing chain + tranny ) , not worth. What is worth is, selling this and buy a scion tc and be happy with it..
Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Maxima's are still awesome cars!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Disgust in Pittsburgh

My 2005 Maxima has 85K miles and was told it needs a new transmission. I started having issues at 65K and took it to the dealership I bought the car (new). The said they couldn't duplicate the odd shifting and there was nothing wrong. Seriously, it wasn't happening all the time so I didn't research further. Since, I have had it back 2 other times with same result (they said nothing was wrong). So I took the car to another dealership and they said I not only need a new tranny, but, timing chains and motor mounts- total estimate was over $6,000! I filed a complaint with Nissan NA and they offered a token $500 towards repair or and extended warranty if I purchase a new Nissan. Total BS! I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and also found this wonderful forum. I researched the strings and noticed an attempt to find a law firm that could file a class action suit. I sent an email to the firm and got no reply...it surely isn't unusual for a law firm to not reply! Hopefully, this moves along in a positive direction. In the meantime, I contacted a local transmission shop and they knew about the faulty valve body design in these transmissions. Apparently Nissan also has issues with the Xtera's leaking radiator fluid into the transmission bodies and are doing absolutely nothing about it! What pisses me off is the dealership (where I bought the car) never admitted any issue or design flaw. Last Nissan this guy buys!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 04 max has 152K (KM's) when it started to go into limp mode (starts off in 5th.) the fault code PO726. Dealer switched the ignition relay with the fog light relay. Good for 10 days. Next they put a new relay in--lasted 1 day. It was now slamming into reverse & limp mode intermittently. Auto. repair shop says its a electrical code fault & still trying to solve. I have faithfully maintained the transmission, changing the oil with the Nissan K-matic. Is this the beginning of the trans. totally failing? I'll be signing on to the class action lawsuit.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by PittMaxiGuy
My 2005 Maxima has 85K miles and was told it needs a new transmission. I started having issues at 65K and took it to the dealership I bought the car (new). The said they couldn't duplicate the odd shifting and there was nothing wrong. Seriously, it wasn't happening all the time so I didn't research further. Since, I have had it back 2 other times with same result (they said nothing was wrong). So I took the car to another dealership and they said I not only need a new tranny, but, timing chains and motor mounts- total estimate was over $6,000! I filed a complaint with Nissan NA and they offered a token $500 towards repair or and extended warranty if I purchase a new Nissan. Total BS! I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and also found this wonderful forum. I researched the strings and noticed an attempt to find a law firm that could file a class action suit. I sent an email to the firm and got no reply...it surely isn't unusual for a law firm to not reply! Hopefully, this moves along in a positive direction. In the meantime, I contacted a local transmission shop and they knew about the faulty valve body design in these transmissions. Apparently Nissan also has issues with the Xtera's leaking radiator fluid into the transmission bodies and are doing absolutely nothing about it! What pisses me off is the dealership (where I bought the car) never admitted any issue or design flaw. Last Nissan this guy buys!!
Good, don't buy their sh*t.
What are are the issues you are having ?
what ever you do just change the valve body first.
Go to this link to discuss it further. This link is very helpful.
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html

Last edited by scrui; 05-12-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Thanks. I did just that...took my maxi to a trans specialist who have indicated all I need is to replace the inner workings of the valve body. They said the mounts are fine and the total fix will be well under $1,500. They have seen multiple Maxima's in their shop and have had good results replacing the crap aluminium valves which they say have a defect in the design made by Asian Warner. I love my car but am mad as H*** at Nissan right now! They need to own up to this and remedy the situation. I don't like spending the money, but it's better than buying another car!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks. I did just that...took my maxi to a trans specialist who have indicated all I need is to replace the inner workings of the valve body. They said the mounts are fine and the total fix will be well under $1,500. They have seen multiple Maxima's in their shop and have had good results replacing the crap aluminium valves which they say have a defect in the design made by Asian Warner. I love my car but am mad as H*** at Nissan right now! They need to own up to this and remedy the situation. I don't like spending the money, but it's better than buying another car!
Just a heads up, if your transmission guy is going to fix your Valve, it should only cost you between $500 to $800. If he's replacing the Valve body with a new one, then I can see them charging up to $1500. part $1100 + $400 labor.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM

I think the reason the lawyer didn't reply back to you is because the lawsuit is already moving along and you could be one of the class members (which may mean he doesn't need any info from you). Chernmax and myself are in contact with him and the complaint is drafted. Once I submit the rest of my documentation to him, he can file the complaint with the court.

Last edited by 82AprilFool; 05-13-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:12 PM

OK, thanks for the heads up. I understand there are several internal items along with wiring harness etc. All in about $1,400. They warranty the work for 12K miles (or 12 months). Very reputable shop. I'm OK with the price. Hopefully this suits moves along and Nissan reimburses.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm all in! Hopefully Nissan takes care of their loyal fans. Too bad it has to come to this...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 82AprilFool
I think the reason the lawyer didn't reply back to you is because the lawsuit is already moving along and you could be one of the class members (which may mean he doesn't need any info from you). Chernmax and myself are in contact with him and the complaint is drafted. Once I submit the rest of my documentation to him, he can file the complaint with the court.
Should I send Cory my contract for purchase of my 2004 Maxima SE, 3.5, 5 speed?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by brunelcc
Should I send Cory my contract for purchase of my 2004 Maxima SE, 3.5, 5 speed?
No but you can email him with your name, contact info, and a description of your transmission problem!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 PM

No but you can email him with your name, contact info, and a description of your transmission problem!

I did that quite a while back. Silver bullet maxima still just sitting in the driveway, no 3rd gear, afraid to lose 2nd.

Quick Reply: Transmission class action lawsuit