6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Stick together, thats the only way we'll get the recall. Go to: NHTSA.COM and check out all the complaints and especially all the bullertins regarding the Maxima, little by little the vehicle will surely fall aprt.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM

I just got off the phone with NHTSA, Washington, DC. Mr. Lee took and recorded my complaint as we spoke. He will be sending me a form to complete, sign, and return to NHTSA. Mr. Lee stated that NHTSA have 494 complaints regarding my vehicle (2004 Maxima SE 3.5, 5 speed. He also said that they are pretty close to getting a recall but everyone needs to contact them and make a complaint of their problem vehicle.
The number of NHTSA is: 1-888-327-4236. Lets get this RECALL moving.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by brunelcc
I just got off the phone with NHTSA, Washington, DC. Mr. Lee took and recorded my complaint as we spoke. He will be sending me a form to complete, sign, and return to NHTSA. Mr. Lee stated that NHTSA have 494 complaints regarding my vehicle (2004 Maxima SE 3.5, 5 speed. He also said that they are pretty close to getting a recall but everyone needs to contact them and make a complaint of their problem vehicle.
The number of NHTSA is: 1-888-327-4236. Lets get this RECALL moving.
I thought NHTSA already breceived 555 complaint for power train according to THIS auto recall for consumers web site. But they said they only have 494?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New to the site

First of all thanks to Chern for taking the lead on this. I have had the shifting and slipping problem since shortly after my Maxima rolled over the 100k powertrain warranty. I have filed complaints with both NHSTA and consumer affairs. I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. I also met an older gentleman (while I was being told by a Nissan Service consultant that I need a new transmission) that was having the same issues as I was having. This was his second transmission BTW. I would be nice to see Nissan take some sort of responsibility for this faulty product.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

additionally, I printed up some flyers with the 6th gen Maxima transmission problems. I included the importance of filing a complaint with NHTSA and consumer affairs. I keep them in my car and everytime I see a 6th gen Maxima I put one under the windshield. The more we get the word out the faster we may see a result.

Last edited by G8sTahoe; 01-18-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by G8sTahoe
additionally, I printed up some flyers with the 6th gen Maxima transmission problems. I included the importance of filing a complaint with NHTSA and consumer affairs. I keep them in my car and everytime I see a 6th gen Maxima I put one under the windshield. The more we get the word out the faster we may see a result.

Im going to do the same here in PHX- i drive ALL DAY, so every MAX i see stopped, i will put it!!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Good afternoon everybody...

I just want to let everyone know that i got in contact with NHTSA today and i filed a complaint regarding the transmission issue. The representative said that it is very unlikely that a recall for transmission take effect, but since they are having so many complaints about our cars it is in our best benefit that we continue pushing through.
I have a 04 Maxima sl/50000 miles with a failing transmission and like many of you, i also believe that Nissan must be unambiguously liable for this premature transmission failure. As a Nissan enthusiastic i did my part. Now is your turn to do yours because they wont do anything if only a few of us speak up. It is very simple, it took me less than 5 min and the representative was very helpful.
I would like to thank Chern, regardless the outcome of this lawsuit, for starting this fight.
Manny
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Thank you!!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission Problem - 06 Nissan Maxima SL

I just registered my complaint of transmission problems to NHTSA. Same deal,....2nd gear started slipping at 101k miles,......then erratic revving of the engine,........now my car is in the shop to the tune of $3,192.00. The rep at NHTSA told me there are currently 71 registered complaints for my same year/make/model. With so many owners affected I hope we reach enough complaints to actually trigger a class action suit. I'm hanging on to all my paperwork because Nissan should pay for all of my repairs; bad enough I paid 30k for a car that goes bad this soon!

JC
Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys i was wondering since my car has 75k shouyld i buy the warranty n get them to fix it or just hold on and push for a recall....
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd say buy the warranty,.......this recall stuff will take some time.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Extended Warranty

Is that possible at this point to get an extended warranty?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Is that possible at this point to get an extended warranty?
Absolutely. I am looking into doing the same thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Tranny on 2004 Maxima 3.5 SE, 5 Speed

I also called Nissan Consumer Affairs, diagnostics testing $234. Nissan paid $100, the dealership paid $117, and I paid $17. Result, 3rd gear is gone, need new tranny. Nissan contacted me a week later and stated they would not be liable for any part of the tranny costs, NOT EVEN HALF. Good luck.

Originally Posted by 82AprilFool
I received a call back from Nissan stating that they received my letter and to tell me that I have to take the car in to have a diagnostic done before they can proceed with anything. So, maybe you all should write a letter to Nissan Consumer Affairs. If you would like me to post the letter that I wrote, let me know.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Do you know the cost of the warranty? Please let me know, I may go that direction, that is if its not the same transmission with the same problem.

Originally Posted by dpeles1
Absolutely. I am looking into doing the same thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM

So this whole thing worries me... as I just picked up an 04 SL. I'm not really sure what it's all supposed to feel like, but it shifts hard between 1st and 2nd, and whenever I'm pushing it... it seems to shift really hard between all gears. Also, between 1500 and 2000 rpms it feels like its grinding and has sand in the transmission...

Is my transmission almost done?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am happy to learn that I am not the only one having these problems!! I started having problems at 89K miles. It was shifting hard between 2nd and 3rd. I bought my 04 Maxima new in Dec 04. When I started having problems, I changed the transmission fluid and it seemed to help a little. In Jan 2008, at 104K miles I took to a Nissan dealership. They drained and replaced the trans fluid twice and stated that I needed a new transmission and the cost was $4200. Needless to say, I didn't have the money to fix it so I just drove it like it was. Eventually I could no longer drive it in auto trans and had to drive in manual trans because it would no longer shift from 2nd to 3rd in auto trans. I left my job in March of 09 to stay home with my kids and continued driving it because I did not have the money to fix it. In Nov 2010 I took it to a transmission shop (not a Nissan dealership) hoping the cost of the repair would be less. I was told I needed a new trans and it would be $3500. After doing some research and learning that this is a widespread problem, I contacted Nissan and they told me I had to take it to a Nissan dealer and have it diagnosed as needing a new transmission and then call them back which I did. I have not heard back from them. I contacted Cory Fien at Caddell & Chapman today and waiting for him to call back and have also filed a complaint with NHTS. Nissan is not going to do the right thing and I hope this law suit goes forward and Nissan has to pay out the nose for this!! I am so frustrated!! I wish I had done some research when I first started having problems, but I never dreamed it was a widespread issue.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Me too!! I had no choice but to continue driving mine without replacing the trans. and I now have 141,000 miles on mine. My problems started at about 85,000 miles or so......
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have also contacted MSNBC news and expect it will make headlines pretty soon. Let's see how Nissan likes that!!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Madmaxowner
I have also contacted MSNBC news and expect it will make headlines pretty soon. Let's see how Nissan likes that!!
ALRIGHT!!! I like your style...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Me too!! I had no choice but to continue driving mine without replacing the trans. and I now have 141,000 miles on mine. My problems started at about 85,000 miles or so......

Hmmm!! Maybe its not the tranny. That's a lot of miles to drive and especially if you're going over 40 MPH.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM

Total 501 complaints registered in nhtsa.com.(including mine)..great job guys..

Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been off this site for a bit, this really needs to be taken care of by Nissan. Is this transmission issue only for 04's? Or are people having problems with 05 & 06's too? I have not noticed any problems yet for my 06 but want to get this before it F's me in the A
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by elijahthaone
I've been off this site for a bit, this really needs to be taken care of by Nissan. Is this transmission issue only for 04's? Or are people having problems with 05 & 06's too? I have not noticed any problems yet for my 06 but want to get this before it F's me in the A
04 to 06, they all are in the same boat.

Transmission gears slips...bang...thud....jerk....limp mode....then makes you cry.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
For the record, Nissan doesn't make the 5-speed trans, it's made by Aisen-Warner and it has massive problems in the Volvo's, saabs, & GM's that used it as well.

Most of the time it's in the valve body, the linear selenoids have an easy fix, I also found a bad plastic check valve (The plastic check valves were only used on early style aw55-s50 vb's) and I beleive I had some plate leakage as well. I'm crossing my fingers that this guys car just needed these valve body problems fixed, transmission damage can result pretty quickly when low pressures from a valve body issue cause clutches to slip.

If you own a 5-speed and start feeling things going south bring it right in to a trans shop & have the valve body rebuilt, or tell the stealership you will pay $1k for a new valve body if they put it in for free

So, it's a Aisen-Warner product that is defective, not Nissan, but Nissan is also indirectly at fault and should work with Aisen-Warner.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Should I mail my Nissan Diagnostics test to the attorney, "Cory" in Texas or is everyone giving up, not too much going on here anymore?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Hello, is anyone here anymore?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Dont think anyone gave up or want to..you should go ahead with that..I am sure other members are busy in the weekends ..
Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ifti_sit
Dont think anyone gave up or want to..you should go ahead with that..I am sure other members are busy in the weekends ..
Thank you, will do, just hope something happens soon. Do you happen to know how much the extended warranty is? Your help is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM

MSNBC

Haven't seen Nissan tranny problems air yet on MSNBC, have you?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM

There used to be a site which displays the number of customer complaints for a specific car in a graphical form..so u cud actually compare side by side which year/model has most number of complaints..I will try to get that..
When I check in NHTSA, it seems 2004 Maxima has highest number of transmission complaints ( more than 500 ) compare to 72 for 2006 and 171 for 2005.

And about the extended warranty - I am really not sure and dont want give you a vague idea - so wait till other members throw some light or best to give Nissan a call..
Onething though - Few months back I called Nissan Extended warranty- and they gave me a quote of something $2000 per year which covers power train warranty from Nissan.

Here's the details I had :

Phone: 877-599-9499
Email: vaden.warranty@NissanExtendedWarranty.com
URL: http://www.NissanExtendedWarranty.com

Thank you, will do, just hope something happens soon. Do you happen to know how much the extended warranty is? Your help is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM

I got it - It will give some idea about which has more complaints..

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Maxima/
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the info posted on this site! I just signed up as a member here, so I can keep tabs on the latest news and info (specifically about a class-action lawsuit).

I have a 2005 Maxima 3.5 SE, and the troubles with the transmission started before 50k miles. It sounds really bad still, but because of all the headaches with Nissan dealers and Corp, I think I will not take it in just yet. Has anyone had any luck with some of the fix kits I also saw mentioned in this forum?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM

@ Laura did u file your problem to them?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rohanmax14
@ Laura did u file your problem to them?
I sure did, with NHTSA as suggested. Should it be done anywhere else?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys!!! I just wanted to know something, I had my Maxima's transmission rebuilt last year by AAMCO and the problem seems to be "a little" under control. She doesn't jerk as violent as she did before, but when driving during rush hour (In LA) it seems to not like slow speeds. Carmax said I can have a new transmission put in by Nissan, I just wanted to know if I maintain it and change the oil every 30K, will she last?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM

I have an 08 does this apply to me? I'm only seeing 04-06 did they change in 07-08?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Also my brother has an 04 and is having the same problems as everyone else I'll let him know about this forum!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive been reading all of these posts and sadly i think i have the same problem.I have an 05 SE with approx 39 thousand miles on it When i first start driving everything is fine for about 10-15 mins but after that it feels like the tranny slips and the longer i drive it the worse it gets. Then when i put it from R -> D its take about 5 seconds and it kicks really hard. I dont know if everybody has this problem right away as soon as they start to drive or if it just mines. Is there anyway i can fix this without having the tranny replaced? i really hope they have a recall for this. Driving a car like this takes the fun out of driving for me personally.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM

bummer

^^^ Exact same issue, although I'm around the 90k mile mark it started intermittent around 85k. Gonna change the tranny fluid tomorrow, not really expecting much from it. Anybody had any luck with purchasing extended warranties and having it fixed?

I just finished filing complaint with nhtsa. Not expecting much from that either, but the more the better.

Quick Reply: Transmission class action lawsuit