6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission class action lawsuit

Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 PM

Yay, congrats on making some progress!

I'm glad we aren't driving Chrysler cars right now because I've have read so many horror stories and rants about them forcing dealers to refuse warranty work and blaming the problem on the driver.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Yay, congrats on making some progress!

I'm glad we aren't driving Chrysler cars right now because I've have read so many horror stories and rants about them forcing dealers to refuse warranty work and blaming the problem on the driver.
Toyota did their flaws the right way, launch the car and hopefully off the driver!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I think the bottom line is if there is a flaw with the design of the transmission, it needs to be fixed in all Maxima's with the same transmissions regardless of mileage!
I don't know if that's at all practical or fair. Can't hold a manufacturer liable indefinitely. I'd think either 100k or 120k would be the cutoff point, with age being equated in there as well....
Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I don't know if that's at all practical or fair. Can't hold a manufacturer liable indefinitely. I'd think either 100k or 120k would be the cutoff point, with age being equated in there as well....
I'm thinking more along the lines of a Nissan TSB to fix a flawed tranny part. And yes, based on mileage, partial reimbursement for tranny repairs that fall somewhere outside the warranty window as a result of said flaw!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i spent more money on my 2004 maxima sl than when i had a 1998 lexus im bout 6000 in on fixin my maxima btween abs and tranny problems
Old 11-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Its gonna be tuff this has been going on for years and nothing has happened,the trannys that go bad usually go after the warranty and the ones that go bad in warranty are replaced and if you do the percentage of people who have issues its under 15% remember there has been 100s and 100s of thousands of maxima s built between 2004 and 2005 and there are people who have had no issues. Good Luck...Mine went bad and was replaced under the warranty and no issue after the replacement.

Last edited by JD05; 11-07-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JD05
Its gonna be tuff this has been going on for years and nothing has happened,the trannys that go bad usually go after the warranty and the ones that go bad in warranty are replaced and if you do the percentage of people who have issues its under 15% remember there has been 100s and 100s of thousands of maxima s built between 2004 and 2005 and there are people who have had no issues. Good Luck...Mine went bad and was replaced under the warranty and no issue after the replacement.
If Nissan replaced your transmission, I'm sorry to give you the bad news, the flaw still exists on 'new transmissions' that are replacing the flawed transmissions, this issue has never been fixed on new-replacement trannys.

In other words, you will see this issue happen again in the future and pay for it out of your pocket. Either you have the Transgo shift kit installed, or replace the valve body with a non-Nissan one. That's just reality, Nissan has not bothered fixing this issue, it has made them a lot of money and if nothing gets done (that's why we hope the lawsuit goes through) they will keep getting our hard-earned money. All due to their design flaw... not right
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Having the same tranny issues on a 2006 Maxima SE with 56,000mi on it. The dealer replaced the engine mounts, but after a week, the problem re-appeared.
Would definitely like to be the part of the lawsuit.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Subscribing... I've been having some tranny issues, but haven't performed any work/spent any money on it. Getting stuck between 1st & 2nd at times, and when putting it into reverse, it sometimes takes 5-10 seconds and it has a bad kickback when it does.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

wow good luck guys!! but if it makes u feel better. CVT fails too.. and even with the new extended warranty, it still sucks. =/ but GOOD LUCK!! hmphs!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dayyummCYNTHiA
wow good luck guys!! but if it makes u feel better. CVT fails too.. and even with the new extended warranty, it still sucks. =/ but GOOD LUCK!! hmphs!
How do you figure? I've not heard any complaints of CVT failures yet. In fact, I've heard that you have to go out of your way to try to kill a CVT, and even then, it's pretty tough to do.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:05 PM

I am in!! My transmission failed too.
I have the 06 Maxima SE with an auto transmission. It is at 71k. The catalytic converter also failed but was replaced. I called Nissan and explained it to them they offered me $350 towards the repair.
One question: If I get the repair done can a get a refund if there is a lawsuit?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM

If I understand correctly then lawsuit will not cover yours or anyone's full transmission repair/rebuild cost. Lawsuits always benefits lawyers and then consumers who gets little lump sum amount. You probably get all your money back if your repair was done at dealer (or may be else where) before transmission recall from Nissan. However I may be wrong...
Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Class Action Suit

Can I get in on this class action suit....I have a 2004 Maxima SE with 55,000 miles. The trans started acting up around 45,000 miles. Please let me knowwho to contact about this lawsuit.

Thank you
Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM

NHTSA received 541 complaints so far for bad transmission issue. Not so bad but not enough I guess to have them take action against Nissan. More people need to file complaints about bad transmission issue to NHTSA to increase the volume of complaints. Or who knows NHTSA is another BBB what I have watched recently on TV…..…pay them fees and you get A+ ratings no matter what.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2004/...n/problem.aspx

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2004/...ima/?q=&page=1
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm thinking of posting this thread on my facebook page to garner more attention for our cause.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
I'm thinking of posting this thread on my facebook page to garner more attention for our cause.
.....or youtube would be a great medium.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Very good idea Facebook will put the word out there
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

05 Maxima Trans Problems

Found you guys while doing some searching on 2005 Maxima transmission problems. I have an '05 Maxima w/ 84K miles and started having the jerking / R-D issues. Today actually, the car lurched and jumped so bad in traffic while slowing and then moving around another car that I thought I was going to get into an accident. I called Nissan today after reading about the 120K extended warranty for the other trans type only to find out that the '05 does not qualify. I'm sure you all received the same response from them as I, that it was not their problem and it is out of warranty. Just for kicks I told them to have a manager call me tomorrow. I noticed a couple of people were able to get them to replace the trans outside of warranty. I also filed a NHTSA complaint today per your guys recommendation and look forward to taking part in your class action lawsuit if you move forward with it. It's obvious by the amount of people complaining that this is an issue that merrits Nissan taking care of. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the info and will be keeping an eye on the thread to see what comes of the suit. Best of luck.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiPad1
Found you guys while doing some searching on 2005 Maxima transmission problems. I have an '05 Maxima w/ 84K miles and started having the jerking / R-D issues. Today actually, the car lurched and jumped so bad in traffic while slowing and then moving around another car that I thought I was going to get into an accident. I called Nissan today after reading about the 120K extended warranty for the other trans type only to find out that the '05 does not qualify. I'm sure you all received the same response from them as I, that it was not their problem and it is out of warranty. Just for kicks I told them to have a manager call me tomorrow. I noticed a couple of people were able to get them to replace the trans outside of warranty. I also filed a NHTSA complaint today per your guys recommendation and look forward to taking part in your class action lawsuit if you move forward with it. It's obvious by the amount of people complaining that this is an issue that merrits Nissan taking care of. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the info and will be keeping an eye on the thread to see what comes of the suit. Best of luck.

Thanks for getting your problem down in writing, it all helps...
Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is another firm I found looking into filing a class action against Nissan for the tranny problems. They are saying it has something to do with radiatior problems. I filled out the form w/ my info.

www.transmission-lawsuit.com
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Here is another firm I found looking into filing a class action against Nissan for the tranny problems. They are saying it has something to do with radiatior problems. I filled out the form w/ my info.

"Nissan relating to reported defects in Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Xterra and Nissan Frontier vehicles. "

Don't say anything about maxima though...

Here is another one for NJ & NY only I believe.

http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/Nissan...n%20defect.htm

Last edited by KevMaster; 11-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM

OK that's a new one for me on a law firms web site address: transmission-lawsuit.com
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM

OK everyone having transmission issues see below. Send them an email with your problem and what Nissan has done or not done. Please pass the word. Cory is the lawyer who you need to email, his info is below!

Go ahead and open the floodgates. We are interested in investigating this case and I'm interested in all the input we can get regarding the experiences people have been having and what Nissan has been telling people re the problem. They can email me at this email address.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Cory

Cory Fein
Caddell & Chapman

1331 Lamar, Suite 1070

Houston, TX 77010-3027

Telephone: 713.751.0400

Facsimile: 713.751.0906

Email: csf@caddellchapman.com

Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM

Hey Chris is they anyway we can put this information on the newpaper ads? I mean not everybody know what's maxima.org is.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by rohanmax14
Hey Chris is they anyway we can put this information on the newpaper ads? I mean not everybody know what's maxima.org is.
I think it's a good idea but that would have to be something the lawyers will decide since they have more to lose by financing the lawsuit. Ads cost money and the bigger the paper, the higher the cost!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM

not really? The news needs news, you just have to give it to the right person who wants the publicity. I think it is a bad idea until this Cory is ready to throw the dice. Once the news gets this, Nissan lawyers will be all over Cory's firm. They will try and scare him with defamation of character and anything else they can. Once he is set on taking the case. I know people that can make this thing blow up. Keep us up to date. Also does he want emails from those of us who have found the cause of this problem and dumped tons of cash into finding and fixing the problem?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was quite happy to see this thread!
I have a 2005 5spd auto that just hit 192,000 miles a couple weeks ago. The tranny was holding up decently. I was having problems with the 3-4 gear shifts, but overall it was fine until I had the timing chain tensioners replaced. I drove it for about 3 days, and the tranny seemed to be alot smoother than it was before. I was glad.. But then 3 days later on my way home from school I was going up a small hill and all the sudden my max went up to about 4k rpms and shifted, but then it downshifted and went back up. It shifted up and down for 4-5 seconds. and I was like okay, that's not good.. But after that, it seemed fine the rest of the time I was on that road. However, when I got to the end of the road at a y-shaped intersection where I had to yield for traffic in my lane. So I pulled out, thinking I had enough time because there was a truck not too far away, but I had plenty of time to pull out. As I was pulling out, my max struggled to move forward. I had to floor it to get going because I was already in the lane. I almost got into a serious accident with a pretty big truck. It would of hit me on the driver side door.. The guy was really pissed.

But by the time I coasted my way the last two miles home, I realized my tranny was stuck in 5th gear. >.<

So it's in the shop getting a tranny replacement.
So within the last 3 weeks I've spent more than my max is worth on repairs..

I hope nissan sorts this out!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 PM

I think it's a good idea but that would have to be something the lawyers will decide since they have more to lose by financing the lawsuit. Ads cost money and the bigger the paper, the higher the cost!

I guess I wait. The reasons I want it on the ads is bec so people know where to go n don't give up on the maxima some people don't know if they gotta complains to Nissan if something wrong with the car. I know a guy I talked to last time he tld me is cost $600 a months to put it on the newspaper ad but idk what's the cost for now to put it on the ad.

I'm just saying not everybody know what's Internet is n what maxima.org is. Lol
Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
not really? The news needs news, you just have to give it to the right person who wants the publicity. I think it is a bad idea until this Cory is ready to throw the dice. Once the news gets this, Nissan lawyers will be all over Cory's firm. They will try and scare him with defamation of character and anything else they can. Once he is set on taking the case. I know people that can make this thing blow up. Keep us up to date. Also does he want emails from those of us who have found the cause of this problem and dumped tons of cash into finding and fixing the problem?

I understand your point but Cory first had to understand the problem, consult with the experts, then get peoples feedback/complaints then go at Nissan with a full frontal assault. You don't win battles by letting your adversaries know your battle plan. Well at least thats the way I would approach it.

Last, what I think he's looking for is a brief summary on what problem you had, what you had to do to fix it from time and money that came out of your pockets so it gets on record. As for the current fixes, as long as none are being offered by Nissan still makes it a problem, not to mention those who didn't know about the potential fixes available moved on to more catastrophic tranny failures costing thousands.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by rundownandy
I have a 2005 5spd auto that just hit 192,000 miles a couple weeks ago. The tranny was holding up decently. I was having problems with the 3-4 gear shifts, but overall it was fine until I had the timing chain tensioners replaced. I drove it for about 3 days, and the tranny seemed to be alot smoother than it was before. I was glad.. But then 3 days later on my way home from school I was going up a small hill and all the sudden my max went up to about 4k rpms and shifted, but then it downshifted and went back up. It shifted up and down for 4-5 seconds. and I was like okay, that's not good.. But after that, it seemed fine the rest of the time I was on that road. However, when I got to the end of the road at a y-shaped intersection where I had to yield for traffic in my lane. So I pulled out, thinking I had enough time because there was a truck not too far away, but I had plenty of time to pull out. As I was pulling out, my max struggled to move forward. I had to floor it to get going because I was already in the lane. I almost got into a serious accident with a pretty big truck. It would of hit me on the driver side door.. The guy was really pissed.

But by the time I coasted my way the last two miles home, I realized my tranny was stuck in 5th gear. >.<

I've had that happen and it's not fun, coast to a stop unknowing the car is stuck in 5th and then pull out into oncoming traffic during legal turns to what feels like your car is driving on molassis!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had that happen and it's not fun, coast to a stop unknowing the car is stuck in 5th and then pull out into oncoming traffic during legal turns to what feels like your car is driving on molassis!
Yep, that is exactly what happened. There was only one intersection left on my way home after this happened, and I just ran the stop sign because nobody was around me. I tried to get up my driveway.. But almost failed since it is on a hill. lol. I had to have it towed to the dealership. :/
Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 PM

This just makes me mad. I love the Maxima and want to continue to drive them for the rest of my life but the fact that Nissan is ignoring sixth gen enthusiasts like us just pisses me off! I have an 06 SL with 98,500 and although the engine block is still perfectly fine the tranny ruins the ride. Please make this happen and send me any links to support the cause. I will also hyperlink the thread to facebook, it is a good idea!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DMAXI06
This just makes me mad. I love the Maxima and want to continue to drive them for the rest of my life but the fact that Nissan is ignoring sixth gen enthusiasts like us just pisses me off! I have an 06 SL with 98,500 and although the engine block is still perfectly fine the tranny ruins the ride. Please make this happen and send me any links to support the cause. I will also hyperlink the thread to facebook, it is a good idea!
Yea, I feel the same way. I've driven a various number of other cars and no matter what, I couldn't imagine myself not driving a maxima. I've driven an '08
bmw 528xi, 2009 nissan altama (wish it was the 3.5L), and a 2004 audi A6 within the last year... And at the end of the day I still liked my maxima the most. I am most definitely loyal to the nissan brand, and I wish they were as loyal to helping customers to the best of their abilities.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car was around 136,600 miles when my tranny failed last month. I spent $3700 getting it rebuilt with the VBX valvebody which is updated with Sonna parts. I know I'm way out of warranty and I didn't initially go to the dealership but Cottman transmission. Would my inclusion of my experience with this transmission in this suit still be of use? I also had issues with the failed precats bur was out of warranty as well. However, I did take the car to the dealership for diagnosis of the problem but had Cattman headers installed by another mechanic once the dealer quoted me $1600 for fixing one precat
Old 11-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by rundownandy

dude your tranny lasted 192k miles. that is about 4-5 times longer than most of us with problems have gotten to. I am only at 82k miles and have replaced my transmission once and spent quite a bit of cash on fixing the current one. You are one of the lucky ones with a good transmission. If you get 100k out of a trans before repairs, then you have a decent transmission.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM

@ rundownadly

check your engine crank sensor that can make get stuck in 5th gear. Happen to me once fix that after that nomore problem geting stuck in 5th gear about 5 time. But mine slipping.

Any cel?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
dude your tranny lasted 192k miles. that is about 4-5 times longer than most of us with problems have gotten to. I am only at 82k miles and have replaced my transmission once and spent quite a bit of cash on fixing the current one. You are one of the lucky ones with a good transmission. If you get 100k out of a trans before repairs, then you have a decent transmission.
Yea, I know mine lasted a very long time. lol.
I'm trying not to complain because I was fortunate enough to have one that lasted for a long time. The reason I'm not happy about it, is the fact that it failed after the dealership had replaced the timing chain tensioners. It was holding up really good until after those repairs were done. That is the part that bothers me.

Originally Posted by rohanmax14
@ rundownadly

check your engine crank sensor that can make get stuck in 5th gear. Happen to me once fix that after that nomore problem geting stuck in 5th gear about 5 time. But mine slipping.

Any cel?
And yea, the CEL did come on after this happened. I took it in to get it looked at, and the nissan tech told me the tranny was completely shot. It wouldn't surprise me after the way it was sounding. :/

Either way, I'm getting one put in now. They were only able to find a used one after two weeks of looking.. And I'm just hoping this one holds up, if not, I'll be saying R.I.P to my max. I can't afford to sink anymore money into it. I've already spent more than the car is worth right now in repairs over the last two months. Its unfortunate because I really love my max. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM

@ rundownly

Did u email Cory ur statement about tranmission problem if so then that good aleast he'll do something for us if he have to many complains.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

I had a 6th gen and my trans failed at 17Kish

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission class action lawsuit