6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

i need a advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Deep007
i think it doesnt matter as long as your powertrain warranty i been driving the car and its doesnt eat engine oil..doesnt make sound on idle or in netural..normal start in the morning only between 1200-1500 and sometimes it doesnt even do it..i been driving the car with windows down to see if its the same..ya it is same i drove the car for 1100 miles n tonight im goin to san diego which it gonna be 600 miles nothing happened last time i took it....wired thing is when its cold or below 85 degrees it doesnt do it nd over 90 degree i does nd over 109degree it does alot..
I've got the same issue and have about 28k miles on my car. I only notice the sound with the windows down going about 10-15mph. I can hear it more driving by curbs and walls as well. I've read that it could be a rattling exhaust bracket but I can't seem to figure out which one. I have a catback exhaust and y-pipe but have only dealt with exhaust hangers under the car. Are there any other Cvt owners that have this noise? I'm thinking of taking it to the dealership before my bumper to bumper warranty is up at the end of the month.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Glad my car's alright.........78k +!!!!!!! And still running like a champ....... maintenance is a MUST. Yall gotta cough up some serious doe to have your ride running smoothly and that's the truth. I might not have rims etc... but there's absolutely nothing wrong with my ride so it equals out in the end.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM

again tick tick

Guys..i am already living with that timing chain noise ( ticking ) which i am sure 60% of the 2004 maxima SE ( Auto) owners have. Timing chain noise is random at startup and every time goes away after few miles of drive.
Now i started hearing another ticking noise which is not the timing chain one.it may have started a month ago but i m not sure since when as i play load music and hardly drive without music. that day i was driving without music and as soon as it reaches 40 mph,,i hear a tick tick tick noise ..as if something is stuck somewhere..if i pull down my window i wont be able to hear it because of road noise may be..but its consistent..and never happens below 40 mph..as soon as i cross 40 it starts and gets a little louder at 60 or 70 mph..so somohow i think thats the not timing chain..and sadly i cud nt figure out the exact location..very hard to say that..but yes coming from the front..i mean engine side..not from inside the car..
i changed my engine oil recently with mobil5w-30 with mobil1 oil filter...so oil level is good..infact all the fluid levels are in good shape..
i added an 150 watt amp and woofer..thats all the changes i made in few weeks..oh yes..i also changed the front brake pads..( Akebono pads are making my front rotors little rought like circular strips -may be bad installation )...

any idea guys ? thanks in advance
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

standing at 55k. maxima was never really quiet since i had it. the only noise that seem to get louder on my car now more that usual is when i turn on the a/c. :-/
Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 AM

True..........I noticed that too
Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nyana107
standing at 55k. maxima was never really quiet since i had it. the only noise that seem to get louder on my car now more that usual is when i turn on the a/c. :-/
My AC compressor on my 07 rattles like crazy. I'm going to have to take it in and let them fix it under my extended warranty.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM

i noticed the ticking sound while the AC is off and suddenly the ticking noise becomes random..i mean not every time i am hearing that..
so in this case could it be ac compressor or anyway the alternator ( as i hooked up amp may be drying too much current )
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM

The only time my 04 SE with 108k miles has ever "ticked" was when I started it up and shut it off a few times without driving it. I was working on a few things in the yard and had to move it around.

Let me tell you this..do NOT start the car and shut it off more than once without driving it around for a little bit. This seriously messes with the fuel system/injectors and causes it to flood. I started the car the next morning after this and it had a horrible rod knock noise for about 10 seconds, and I've never heard that again. That was about 10k miles ago. These little bastard engines are temperamental.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 AM

Anyone have any idea ?
I went to the dealership and they told me to leave my car for oneday as they drove it and cud not hear it...

went to Firestone..they said..it cud be cv boot...how come cv boot will be making such noise..? note -its not while am making turn..it happens on a smooth road..on freeways it becomes a different sound with more speed and wind...the plastic cover in the back of the wheel is cracked..cud it be the reason with high speed flapping..
the section am referring to is....<front of the car /grill - then plastic cover ..then ur tire..