6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Nissan Maxima tranny problem, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 PM

04 Nissan Maxima tranny problem, HELP

So i picked up a 2004 maxima se,5speed auto last week. it had a tranny problem i didn't know about, heres what it does....

it runs fine when its cold for like 10 min till tranny gets warm.

it will have a delay in shifting from park to d, and drive to reverse and it jerks when it engages,,,,,

than sometime when i take off when it shifts from 1'st to 2' it will not go in and rev up than slam in gear, it downs shifts really hard,,

when its warm i have to use the tectonic to drive with it slamming into gear because on D it just keeps downshifting and up shifting really hard. and today on my way home it got stuck in 5'th gear and would not down shift.
after like 3 hours i came and started it and it was in 1'st.

What should i do, i came accross a new transmission i want to buy or is there something else i should do,, Please help me, thanks

I drove the Car maybe like 6 times since i got it and same problem.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 AM

sound like that tranny is bad I would take it back to the dealer
Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM

I didn't take it to the dealer. Should i go to aamco or nissan or buy a new tranny. Could the tranny ecu cause this
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM
KC's FINEST

Might wanna check the motor mounts.

They're known to crap out and cause jerking problems.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 PM

when i rev the engine it doesnt really move, today after it got warm it got stuck in 5th.

should i take my car to nissan or aamco, who was done tranny work
Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 PM

that sucks man, try some tranny stuff from kragen? but i'd take it in, you don't want that problem causing others
Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM
oem ftw!

I suffered with the exact same problem after buying my '05. The EXACT same problem, to a T! My car was in and out of the shop for months. First had the transmission rebuilt, then the rebuild failed after two weeks. Took it back, ran great for three weeks, and then the original problem came back, but this time the problem was there even when the engine was cold. Took it back AGAIN, and the shop finally got it right - they said they changed the CAM sensors. After that, the car has been 100%.

It looks like you can fix the problem with a transmission kit from Transgo. I would try it before buying a new transmission; the repair kit will run you around $500 installed, whereas a new transmission will obviously be in the thousands.

You have to read through po8pimp's thread, all of the information that you need is in here, summary on page 6:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM

+1
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM

ok i went to autozone and got the codes, p0797////p0780

first code says pressure control solenoid valve c stuck on.

second code says transmission failed to shift...

Anyone know what solenoid it is??? inside tranny or outside tranny
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its inside the front metal cover. Your problem is the transmission valve body. the transgo kit will help but not fix your problem. The valves actually wear out the aluminum body. sonnax makes the tool to fix your. They cost around $1000 plus $300 in parts. My recommend is to buy new valve body from dealer for $1000 and you will be good to go another 75000 miles or bring here to aamco for $4000 WE WILL REBUILD AND FIX IT FOR GOOD.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM

that sucks,,,,, who wants a 04 maxima, got it for 7,000 decent condition... just a tranny problem http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/cto/1898911760.html
Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Daneek155
that sucks,,,,, who wants a 04 maxima, got it for 7,000 decent condition... just a tranny problem http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/cto/1898911760.html
... Are you reading any of the advice that was posted in your thread? You can fix the problem for about $500. Why on earth are you going to sell the car? The poster above WORKS FOR AAMCO so obviously he will want you to spend thousands of dollars. Read through the thread that I posted and you will find that multiple people have COMPLETELY fixed your EXACT SAME problem for around $500.

If you want to spend thousands on a rebuild, or give up altogether and sell the car, then by all means. We are just trying to help you save some money.

Last edited by CRiME; 08-18-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 AM

i have the exact same problem in my 04max se. i just got the transgo shift kit but dont know who can install it. i live in the NYC area and looking for a transmission shop that knows how to install the kit. Any suggestions??? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM

ok i want to do the transgo kit but one more questions, i drained some tranny fluid and it is almost black, one of my friends told me that if its black than you have to get a new tranny either way because it is messed up inside,, is that true, have anyone here had like almost black fluid and transgo kit worked. Its jsut i spent all the money i had on this car and now am really broke and dont know what i should do, any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 PM
oem ftw!

ok i want to do the transgo kit but one more questions, i drained some tranny fluid and it is almost black, one of my friends told me that if its black than you have to get a new tranny either way because it is messed up inside,, is that true, have anyone here had like almost black fluid and transgo kit worked. Its jsut i spent all the money i had on this car and now am really broke and dont know what i should do, any help will be greatly appreciated
Hey man I understand where you are coming from, and how frustrating the situation is. When I just got my car, I pretty much spent my last dime as well, only to discover the transmission problem the next day. Needless to say, I was crushed. Luckily for me, the car came with a warranty so the rebuild and months spent in and out of the shop were covered. I was about to give up and quit on it as well, because I was just tired of having it in and out of the transmission shop. Now that it has been completely fixed, I love every minute of this car and I'm happy I stuck with it.

When I just got the car, my fluid was dark as well. It wasn't quite black, but a dark brown, I guess due to it being the original fluid, at 108k miles... The car shifted properly when the engine was cold, however, so I found it hard to believe that anything major was damaged in the transmission. How does your car shift before the engine heats up? If it shifts properly and does not go haywire until it warms up, I would just give the kit a try. Worst case scenario, you're out $500 instead of getting rid of the car and starting from square 1 with a new down payment, shady car salesmen, etc...

I'm not sure of your location, but Check in the other thread for some names of shops that have done the repair for members on this site. 04max-28, I believe there is a shop that is approved by Transgo in the NJ area, you might be able to give them a try. Or, you can send a PM to mmercedeez on this site. That user is in the MA area, which will be a commute, but successfully had the kit installed and it completely fixed the problem.

Daneek, post in the other thread too, so that people who had the kit installed and fixed the problem will be more likely to see your question and help you out.

Last edited by CRiME; 08-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM

thanks for the info CRiME, i will look into that. bump+
Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 AM

this generation maxima has a tranny problem., i dont recall exactly what is is but i do remember it being that the oil does not reach all the parts quick enough causing the rough shifting and ultimatly ruining the tranny, i heard that there is some racing adaption of some sort for the tranny that helps resolve this problem , sorry i cant be much help
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Make sure you verify what trans you got before you buy the shift kit. my dumbass bought the RE5F22A when i later found out i had the RE4F04A. I have the same P -> D engage problem and hard shift on second. Mine was an 04SL though.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM

well heres the update, i drained some fluid today, about 1 quart and i found a little twisted peice of metal about 3/16 long a 1/16 in diameter. how bad is that??
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM

well heres the update, i drained some fluid today, about 1 quart and i found a little twisted peice of metal about 3/16 long a 1/16 in diameter. how bad is that??
not good. probably need to get the gears replaced. Tranny overhaul. get the valvebody fixed while you are at it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM

UPDATE: successful transgo shift kit install. just got back from the shop and took (maxibella) on the highway. Smooth shifting thru all gears, even downshifting i didnt feel the banging. i even felt more acceleration and better response on tiptronic mode. i was skeptic when i first started reading the posts from this transgo kit, but i RECOMMEND it*
thanks again for the info everyone provided on this thread.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
oem ftw!

04max - congratulations on having your problem resolved. Glad to have helped. Out of curiosity, where did you have the work done? I'm in the NYC area as well and if I ever need to install the kit in the future, would be interested in knowing what shop is capable of (successfully) installing it.

Thanks and congrats again!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks crime, its called JMR garage and its located @ 214 N fehr Way Bayshore, NY 11706. its by the L.I.E here's the number 631-940-3638, give them a call. ask for junior, he's the shop owner and he installed it. Tell him that (Baldwin) recommended you. The labor was $460.00 which i thought was decent since he's my boy since H.S., plus some other shop in queens were charging me $660.00!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've got an 04 with the 5 speed w/od. I swear the gear indicator would go up to 6 but can't be certain. Had the dealership do a flush and fill, now it only goes to 5th. Mpg has gone down as well. Should it go up to 6?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:18 PM

If you have a 5sp, there are only 5 gears.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow i been searching and searching for awhile here now and my 04 has same exact problem exactly how he describes it, so would i just buy a cam sensor as Crime states?
sum days it runs good and others it slips like if something is telling the trans to shift but activate the gear later and wen i let go of gas wen it slips it catches the gear. i also have that motor cliking noise too but its under 100k thing is i bought it from a private seller think still under warranty to fix these problems ?? *fingers crossed*
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 04max-28
i have the exact same problem in my 04max se. i just got the transgo shift kit but dont know who can install it. i live in the NYC area and looking for a transmission shop that knows how to install the kit. Any suggestions??? Thanks.
Did the kit work? I just got 04 maxima. I think i did a bad mistake. When i shift from Parking to reverse or drive to reverse, there is a 2sec delay before it shift to reverse. When i shift to reverse, it makes a click sounds. If i press the gas right after i switch to reverse, it jerks hard. I have to press the gas after it actually switch gas inorder for me to reverse smoothly.

Also, when i hit 20MPH, it jerks very little. It also, use to drag it self very little. They told me to change the transmission oil which i did. It was burn. The problem stop. but im scare is going to come back.

Are these are the same signs you got before ur tranny when bad? HELP ME!!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yesterday I had a problem don't know if its trans or computer..Was in the mountains, aout 4500 feet, in the fog, climbing a steep grade.. Engine died.. no indicater lights.. Restarted after 2-3 second cranking..Put in gear and drove up hill but had no power, tried shifting down[auto] and got a clunk and a S indication on shift indicater.. Turned around and went down, still not getting power but engine running..Service engine soon light on, but service not due for 1000 miles..At a lower elevation had to stop for a work zone, when restarted and running again car ran completely normal, any ideas???
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Yall need to complain throught bottom site.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I did mine today 30 min ago.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by beE1stMax
Did the kit work? I just got 04 maxima. I think i did a bad mistake. When i shift from Parking to reverse or drive to reverse, there is a 2sec delay before it shift to reverse. When i shift to reverse, it makes a click sounds. If i press the gas right after i switch to reverse, it jerks hard. I have to press the gas after it actually switch gas inorder for me to reverse smoothly.

Also, when i hit 20MPH, it jerks very little. It also, use to drag it self very little. They told me to change the transmission oil which i did. It was burn. The problem stop. but im scare is going to come back.

hey, yea the kit worked 100%. i guess the only thing is that i do sometimes get a click sound when i go into reverse, i guess u have to be patient when shifting to reverse. i tried hitting the gas and got a lil jerk. but the car is shifting 100%. nissan totally F'd up witht his tranny!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by beE1stMax

Hi beE1stMax1!

Did you flush your transmission oil or did you just drain and fill? Did your problem fixed forever or it came back again?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM

I feel your pain, just had a rebuilt, still issues. But at least case is starting to look promising, check it out:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...n-lawsuit.html
Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had same symptoms with mine right around 79k miles. i read on here to put in transgo shift kit aw55-50 and had american transmission and air in st. pete florida install the kit. took 5 hours for install and has shifted like butter ever since. I even gave it a stress test by driving around light to light stop to stop and a whole bunch of stop and go and it never shifted hard once after install. now I am on to the ac not working, heard its a low pressure hose but not sure.

I also agree with crime, don't chop your harness, its a valve body issue and the shift kit fixes it, for me at least it fixed it even after nissan dealer tried to get me to purchase new tranny.

Last edited by Trancemitter; 02-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM
SuPeRmOd

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html