6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sureshot way to test cats??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Sureshot way to test cats??

My Ypipe cat is bad and I am replacing it, being that there is stuff rattling in it and when i took it off pieces fell out. Now the other two cats when I looked up inside them didnt LOOK bad, but I dont want to replace them if I dont have to. Now I also dont want to find out theyre clogged and ruin the motor. How can I test them to make sure they are in working order for the engine to run freely?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Only real way is to take them out and inspect them but that's a PITA. But keep in mind your cats are warrantied for 8yr/80,000m. If your y-pipe cat is bad, tell your dealer. They should hopefully replace it.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Well I already took the ypipe cat out and it was definately bad, falling apart in pieces. The other ones I can see up into, they look OK like a whiteish color in the honeycomb part but maybe the other side is clogged, IM not sure. Btw I have 155,000 miles, I dont think the dealer will warranty them lol
Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM

You would probably get a Check engine light with the pre cat failure code, don't know it off hand, the cats don't get clogged, they break down, and fine particles get sucked into the engine scoring the cylinder walls eventually leading to oil blow by and suddenly your burning oil
Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 PM

you know it seems that these godd***n cats seem to cause more problems than anything..I mean come on I put new cats on my car only to worry that one day they will cause one of many problems....again.... ahh screw it, I am gonna bite the bullet and buy all new cats....i Dont want any problems with a new engine. As far as the 02 sensors, u think the cheaper ones they sell at auto stores n such will work just as good?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Don't worry about the cat in your y-pipe. There are no sensors that monitor it.

As for warranty... Yes you're definitely past it. lol

and I'm going to say... Since you aren't throwing any codes for your primary cats right now, don't worry about them. Are you having any performance issues with the car? If not, I think you're ok for now.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Well I cant really check now, the last codes I was throwing was from my old engine which were timing too advanced and stuff from having the chains done and a crappy mechanic :/ although cheap. But anyway I cant check cuz even though the new motor is in the ypipe was causing the motor to run bad so i disconnected it and it ran fine. So obv..prob cat. but I had the mis timing and oil consumption so Im assuming they have had their time, u think? I just dont wanna ruin a motor that I just put in :/

but wait now what Iam thinking is buy the new ypipe, new 02 sensors and see if the SES light comes on with cat failure codes? and what are the chances of it not catching a bad cat or like STARR said, breaking down and entering the engine :/ ahh this is so confusing
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Y2k2maxse
Well I cant really check now, the last codes I was throwing was from my old engine which were timing too advanced and stuff from having the chains done and a crappy mechanic :/ although cheap. But anyway I cant check cuz even though the new motor is in the ypipe was causing the motor to run bad so i disconnected it and it ran fine. So obv..prob cat. but I had the mis timing and oil consumption so Im assuming they have had their time, u think? I just dont wanna ruin a motor that I just put in :/

but wait now what Iam thinking is buy the new ypipe, new 02 sensors and see if the SES light comes on with cat failure codes? and what are the chances of it not catching a bad cat or like STARR said, breaking down and entering the engine :/ ahh this is so confusing
If you never want to deal with cats again you can get headers but that creates it's own set of CEL issues.

I've seen a melted cat, they can melt but mine flaked. You should get a CEL if your primary cats are failing. If the primary cats are failing/breaking up, the particles can be sucked back into the engine and scratch up the cylinders and ruin the engine.

If your Y-cat is bad it will not be suckedback into the engine, it's too far away. You can get an aftermarket Y-pipe with or without a cat. If you think you will ever get headers get the one with the cat, if they do visual inspections for emissions, you may want to get the one with the cat.

Our cars will pass emissions without the Y-pipe cat. My car is currently passing emissions without the primary cats and ONLY a "spun"/fastcat (as opposed to the brick type) in my Y-pipe.

Which O2 sensors are you thinking about replacing?