6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Another Strut Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM

Another Strut Question

I have been searching all over the board but have been unable to clearly answer a question I have about the front struts on my 06. When I took it in for the transmission diagnosis, they told me I also needed to replace the front struts, insulators and bearings. They quoted me over $700 for the whole deal and I was not about to pay for that.

I recently purchased some KYB GR2 Struts for the front as well as the front mounts and boots.

My question is, what else do I need?

When I called the dealer back about the strut insulator and bearing they made it sound like the insulator was the same as the strut mount and the only bearing they could think of was the wheel bearing... which left me very confused.

What components do I need to fully complete the front strut replacement? My symptoms have been a creeking/clunking sound coming from the front of the vehicle when I drive through dips or drive out of driveways.

I've heard that the front struts are common issues ... are the rear struts the same way?

Also, I am unable to find a service manual for my vehicle... it seems they end at 04 but all the pictures are related to earlier models so I'm not sure if I should purchase those Hayne's/Chilton's manuals as they seem not up-to-date enough.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:42 PM
SmokinMaxSE

I always use this site for detailed illustrations. Check it out, front suspension..... http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM

you can actually use the existing mounts and boots when you change your struts... you might as well wanna change your springs... hehe... since you will be jacking up your car anyways... rears are different.... shocks are separated from the springs... as far as i understand, the strut insulator is the strut boot which protects the strut from natural elements...

lemme know if i could help (if i would still remember)... i just changed my struts, shocks and springs last week together with the rotors and pads...
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Thanks guys!

I will also be replacing both serpentine belts along with the front struts. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the rear shocks so I'm going to leave those alone for now. I just paid $3000 to have a new transmission installed so I need to recover financially for awhile before I start doing any modifications - I was actually planning on doing an intake before my CA roadtrip but that'll have to wait awhile now

I read that I should "mark" something before removing the assembly which would assist when I go to reassemble everything... what am I marking?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by BzJeep
Thanks guys!

I will also be replacing both serpentine belts along with the front struts. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the rear shocks so I'm going to leave those alone for now. I just paid $3000 to have a new transmission installed so I need to recover financially for awhile before I start doing any modifications - I was actually planning on doing an intake before my CA roadtrip but that'll have to wait awhile now

I read that I should "mark" something before removing the assembly which would assist when I go to reassemble everything... what am I marking?
might want to get some help. This install is not as easy as it looks and might require an extra hand. Not really contributing too much just know I mechanically inclined and have done shocks and struts before and it turned out to be a full days work with two people. about 1 hour or so for the one side then the rest came pretty easy. probably 4 hours in total for removal cleaning and installing. so roughly 6-8 for one guy I would think. make sure you have a good spring compressor. we picked on up a sears for about $40.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 AM

Luckily I'll have my dad around to help as well as a friend from school who took some mechanic classes in high school and college... he said he's done struts before so that should be a start!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:10 PM

My friend and I started working on the struts and belts around 6PM tonight and he had to leave about half way through the project to hang out with his girl so my dad came out and gave me a hand on the drivers' side... we ended up finishing just before 10PM.

The belts really slowed us down because we had a hard time loosening the tensioners to get the old belts off. The large belt was pretty worn but the small belt hardly had any cracks at all. The strut assemblies came off just fine and after struggling trying to get everything put back together and lined up correctly, we eventually got the new ones installed. No squeaks!

Unfortunately, the creaking noise we've been experiencing is still present and in the process we discovered that the CV boot on the drivers' side is punctured and has been flinging grease all over the inside of the wheel and all over the steering knuckle and tie rod. Both front wheel bearings seem to be fine as there is no play in the wheel.

Any ideas on the CV boot? Is it replaceable... does the entire axle need to be removed?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I put kyb struts in mine. For the front you'll need struts, boots if your are torn, the little plastic thrust bushings from nissan. I replaced the strut mounts too. If i remember thats all you really need.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 AM

You sure hte creaking isn't a spring? When i replaced my springs they weren't seated right and it creaked alot when turning the wheel. Just a shot in the dark, I put silicone spray on the rubber seats and it helps the spring squeek.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaxTim
I put kyb struts in mine. For the front you'll need struts, boots if your are torn, the little plastic thrust bushings from nissan. I replaced the strut mounts too. If i remember thats all you really need.
What is the "thrust bushing"?

I'm not sure if it's the springs themselves unless they were seated incorrectly to begin with because we've experienced the noise since we purchased the vehicle last November. I had to have my driver's side CV axle replaced today and they said they didn't see anything abnormal but they lubed up all the bushings but the creaking/rattling is still there...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just the thread i needed, im converting from air-ride back to struts and shocks. i bought monroe shocks and struts and tein lowering springs. the rear is pretty easy and im pretty sure i have all the parts but for the struts its a diff story. all i have are the 2 struts, the 2 boot kits and the strut mounts... i know im missing certain parts.. don't know what they are called tho. its the top plate that goes over the spring.. the dealer seems to be unable to get me that parts.. any suggestions??? please!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM

mounting plate?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by morteljc
you can actually use the existing mounts and boots when you change your struts... you might as well wanna change your springs... hehe... since you will be jacking up your car anyways... rears are different.... shocks are separated from the springs... as far as i understand, the strut insulator is the strut boot which protects the strut from natural elements...

lemme know if i could help (if i would still remember)... i just changed my struts, shocks and springs last week together with the rotors and pads...