6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

5 spd auto tranny is stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM

5 spd auto tranny is stuck

Guys,

Help my 04 with 75k has a stuck gear... yesterday I was driving on the highway and I felt the car stutter and the car was stuck on 5 th gear. . Had someone reset the car's computer and it drove fine. Today it did the same. ..can someone help??? I need the car for Work

Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Its going going gone, I had to drive around this for awhile , the only way to get out is , (if your cruising on the hwy ) shift it into (N) shut off the car and let the car cruise, restart the car and it should take a second to get back into gear.

it would do this from time to time then one day it totally slip and no gears.

I bet your mileage is around 60k or up already ?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Its going going gone, I had to drive around this for awhile , the only way to get out is , (if your cruising on the hwy ) shift it into (N) shut off the car and let the car cruise, restart the car and it should take a second to get back into gear.

it would do this from time to time then one day it totally slip and no gears.

I bet your mileage is around 60k or up already ?
Yes - the car is at 75k ... its a 04 ... what is the options to do to fix the issues? but when it happened today i disconnected the battery for an hr and the car started back and it ran normal. could that be a sign of a bad ECU?

after the car has the "computer" reset, the tranny pulls hard in every gear.. no slipping at all. i couldn't even believe how much more power i felt to the wheels.

Last edited by MaxJ04; 02-21-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM

All I can say is from my experenice it start happening and within (daily driven) 3-6 months it went from being stuck , to one day just revving the motor happily with NO gears , no matter what I did.. disconntected the battery , cleared the codes..once the tranny started getting hott , the tranny basically wouldnt go into gear.

I drove for about a year and half WITHOUT 3RD Gear , I had to shift from 2nd..very high and into 4th...

then the getting 5th stuck started, 3-6 months driving home from work it gave way.

found myself a 04 20k Tranny on craiglist , figure I would better luck ,
drain it and threw in some amsoil...

4 months later , 3rd - 2nd thudd , started getting stuck and onto a 6spd swap.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:24 PM

All I can say is from my experenice it start happening and within (daily driven) 3-6 months it went from being stuck , to one day just revving the motor happily with NO gears , no matter what I did.. disconntected the battery , cleared the codes..once the tranny started getting hott , the tranny basically wouldnt go into gear.

I drove for about a year and half WITHOUT 3RD Gear , I had to shift from 2nd..very high and into 4th...

then the getting 5th stuck started, 3-6 months driving home from work it gave way.

found myself a 04 20k Tranny on craiglist , figure I would better luck ,
drain it and threw in some amsoil...

4 months later , 3rd - 2nd thudd , started getting stuck and onto a 6spd swap.
God... i hate this... i am going to have one of the codes fix this weekend and then have a tranny place to take a look and see where it takes me from there. if i have to rebuild .. i'll rebuild. (is it worth it? )

Thanks for your help..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
oem ftw!

Your transmission is on its way to being ruined; welcome to the club

Mine was getting stuck in 5th as well, shifting rough when hot, etc. I had it rebuilt, rebuild failed after one week, took it back to them, was great for another two weeks, driving it like a grandma, and then out of nowhere it began having the same problem as the original transmission - 1st gear revs up to 4k+ before it shifts with a violent bang, 2-3 slams into gear, and the car sometimes just stumbles and gets stuck in fail-safe 5th gear. It's currently back in the shop, where it has been for 2 weeks now. I'm at the end of my rope here.

Last edited by CRiME; 02-21-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 AM

Maxj04- whats up bro...same happened to me 3 weeks ago. 04 , 5spd auto with 75k on the clock. Tranny guy told me it needs to be rebuilt. Stupid me, i spent $1000 at nissan for a new valve body for the trans and $1100 on labor at the tranny shop. 1 week later, same thing...stuck in 5th. Went back again, told me a wire was loose. Now this past saturday, same thing again. Car is going in tomorrow morning to have the torque converter replaced. frustrating as all hell. Needless to say, 6th gen FOR SALE LOL. 08 Trailblazer SS on the horizon!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
Maxj04- whats up bro...same happened to me 3 weeks ago. 04 , 5spd auto with 75k on the clock. Tranny guy told me it needs to be rebuilt. Stupid me, i spent $1000 at nissan for a new valve body for the trans and $1100 on labor at the tranny shop. 1 week later, same thing...stuck in 5th. Went back again, told me a wire was loose. Now this past saturday, same thing again. Car is going in tomorrow morning to have the torque converter replaced. frustrating as all hell. Needless to say, 6th gen FOR SALE LOL. 08 Trailblazer SS on the horizon!
same thing for me.. if its fixed, then a FX45 / 35 is on table or a M 45X / 35X ...

but jeremy let me know whats up with that loose wire ... i may have a faulty ECU
Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
Your transmission is on its way to being ruined; welcome to the club

Mine was getting stuck in 5th as well, shifting rough when hot, etc. I had it rebuilt, rebuild failed after one week, took it back to them, was great for another two weeks, driving it like a grandma, and then out of nowhere it began having the same problem as the original transmission - 1st gear revs up to 4k+ before it shifts with a violent bang, 2-3 slams into gear, and the car sometimes just stumbles and gets stuck in fail-safe 5th gear. It's currently back in the shop, where it has been for 2 weeks now. I'm at the end of my rope here.

I have the code for the - intelligent key system. and one of the nissan guys said that it could be linked to the ECU .. i really hope its the issue.. and then start to think of trading her in ..

Parts will be available if i do trade in.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxJ04
I have the code for the - intelligent key system. and one of the nissan guys said that it could be linked to the ECU .. i really hope its the issue.. and then start to think of trading her in ..

Parts will be available if i do trade in.
I got u Jun. So I looked at his car today at the dealer I work for (Bay Ridge Nissan). ECU needed a reprogramming upgrade plus he had bad cam sensors. After all the stuff was done, the car ran great. Nice in strong wit no SES light. I guess it wasnt the tranny. lol. The car would bog out during start up n the car refused to take an idle relearn which I believe is the throttle body. I'm gonna look at this further on Sat n c where we end up. BTW the exhaust sounds ridiculous n she looks great. A lot of the guys at the shop complimented on her. Dont get rid of her jus yet!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 PM

isnt the tranny covered under warranty until 80k?

Last edited by chris350; 02-22-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by tOpDoLLa
I got u Jun. So I looked at his car today at the dealer I work for (Bay Ridge Nissan). ECU needed a reprogramming upgrade plus he had bad cam sensors. After all the stuff was done, the car ran great. Nice in strong wit no SES light. I guess it wasnt the tranny. lol. The car would bog out during start up n the car refused to take an idle relearn which I believe is the throttle body. I'm gonna look at this further on Sat n c where we end up. BTW the exhaust sounds ridiculous n she looks great. A lot of the guys at the shop complimented on her. Dont get rid of her jus yet!
Thank you my friend. I will keep you updated on what happens and how it feels on the road tomorrow. If anyone is in NYC and looking for service .. he's a great guy to deal with.

once again thanks..
Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 PM

I came home from work and took the car out for a bit. she took off quicker with more power than before. Besides the low idle at startup I am satisfied with the car. No part out anytime soon gonna get a few more things done before Maxus and probably run a couple cars there.

Thanks everyone for your input
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Interesting stuff. Both of my cam sensors were changed at my first visit to the tranny shop for this ordeal. Still the problem exists. I wonder if i need this same ECU reprogramming. Is it just a reprogram or is it an actual "software" update?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM

Interesting stuff. Both of my cam sensors were changed at my first visit to the tranny shop for this ordeal. Still the problem exists. I wonder if i need this same ECU reprogramming. Is it just a reprogram or is it an actual "software" update?
Well he put the scanner on the car and found that the ECU was giving him the U1000 code. he then found that the version of my ECU wasn't up to date and he told me that it is due to the "Intelligent Key system" that generated the code. He then update / upgraded / reprogrammed my ECU to have the latest / updated version to cleared up the U1000 code. Now my car doesn't have a CEL light. but it has a low idle .. low enough to have the car die upon startup...

Jeremy, i'm going to him this weekend to further check my car. you should PM him to check if your ECU is up to date and avoid the transmission places and try to save some $$ if thats the case..

let me know you can always PM me...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Its a reprogramming of the ECU with the most up to date specs. Its most common on the 04 models n is normally done when a trans or engine is replaced or customer complaints of no power.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM
oem ftw!

Its a reprogramming of the ECU with the most up to date specs. Its most common on the 04 models n is normally done when a trans or engine is replaced or customer complaints of no power.
Ok, I'm confused:

Is this reprogramming of the ECU or TCM ?

I had my TCM reprogrammed after my 1st rebuild, and it had no effect on my shifting - the car still had harsh downshifts. The CAM sensor replacement is interesting though. For my latest ordeal, I only had 2 codes - P0780 and P0420. Could the CAM sensors be bad without throwing a code?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 AM

shift it into (N) shut off the car and let the car cruise, restart the car and it should take a second to get back into gear.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Your tranny is gone its common for late 04 to 06s to go bad Nissan wont man up and admit there is a flaw because it would cost them a fortune. Mine was replaced at 53000 miles under warranty it had hard down shifts and I am a freak about keeping my car maintained. I hope u have a warranty or you will have to fork out alot anywhere from $3000 to $4500. You might want to take your car to the dealer and gravel a little there has been alot of people getting theirs covered under a good will repair and they pay nothing but you have to stay on top of it and one dealer wont cover it try other dealers.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM

Update ... I drove the car to work and home with no problems *knock on wood* ... shifts like butter, no hard down shifts no stutters or any types of transmission malfunctioning. Will keep you guys updated if any CEL comes on. so far with the 2 cam sensors replaced, the car cranks/starts up with no problems. but my other issue is with the Throttle body as the car isn't getting enough air upon startup and if the RPM drops enough the engine shuts off.

TopDolla will meet with me on saturday to correct this problem.

Thanks,
Old 02-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Ok, I'm confused:

Is this reprogramming of the ECU or TCM ?

I had my TCM reprogrammed after my 1st rebuild, and it had no effect on my shifting - the car still had harsh downshifts. The CAM sensor replacement is interesting though. For my latest ordeal, I only had 2 codes - P0780 and P0420. Could the CAM sensors be bad without throwing a code?

Its an ECU reprogram. U may not throw a cam sensor code but a engine speed code is part of the problem cuz they affect each other, I;m lookin further into it. Funny thing is it jus happened to my car today w/o a cam code but an engine speed code. Same symptoms.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by JD05
Your tranny is gone its common for late 04 to 06s to go bad Nissan wont man up and admit there is a flaw because it would cost them a fortune. Mine was replaced at 53000 miles under warranty it had hard down shifts and I am a freak about keeping my car maintained. I hope u have a warranty or you will have to fork out alot anywhere from $3000 to $4500. You might want to take your car to the dealer and gravel a little there has been alot of people getting theirs covered under a good will repair and they pay nothing but you have to stay on top of it and one dealer wont cover it try other dealers.
Nissan knows that 6th gen tranny suck. LOL. Sometimes u get lucky n u get a good one. Sometimes u dont. My advice, buy an extended n I am the dealer! Lol.

Last edited by tOpDoLLa; 02-24-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 PM
oem ftw!

Its an ECU reprogram. U may not throw a cam sensor code but a engine speed code is part of the problem cuz they affect each other, I;m lookin further into it. Funny thing is it jus happened to my car today w/o a cam code but an engine speed code. Same symptoms.
Great info, thanks. Is there an ECU program update for the 2005 5spd auto?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
oem ftw!

Been searching the web for other people having transmission problems, and came across this one: http://www.enginegeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3

A member writes:

"...Even if your check engine light is not on, you should still attempt to read any hidden or pending trouble codes(a bad engine sensor can make your transmission malfunction)...."

Does anyone have any idea which sensor(s) he may be referring to? Could it be the CAM sensors? VSS?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Been searching the web for other people having transmission problems, and came across this one: http://www.enginegeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3

A member writes:

"...Even if your check engine light is not on, you should still attempt to read any hidden or pending trouble codes(a bad engine sensor can make your transmission malfunction)...."

Does anyone have any idea which sensor(s) he may be referring to? Could it be the CAM sensors? VSS?
He's talkin about both. U will get a VSS code without a SES light. A cam code will directly effect the VSS causing the code n the tranny to act up. A malfunction in ur CAN Communication in the A/T will give u a VSS code. It can get very complicated. Lol. My issue was grounds under the dash n in the engine compartment which caused a failure in the CAN comm. to the TCM which in turn caused the tranny to malfunction, mainly the main neg ground cable which goes directly to the tranny had a lot of corrosion n was breakin off. To check for updates on ur ECU I need to have ur ECU address.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 Tranny Problem.

I dont understand what the cam position sensor have to do. With a transmission problem.
My transmission get stuck on 5th gear when it gets hot. I turn the car off 10,15 min
and start working perfect for two or three weeks I would like to take care the problem.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by keloke1983
I dont understand what the cam position sensor have to do. With a transmission problem.
My transmission get stuck on 5th gear when it gets hot. I turn the car off 10,15 min
and start working perfect for two or three weeks I would like to take care the problem.
Better believe it: the cam or crank sensors or even both are the panacea.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

07 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE (CVT) Transmission

hello all,

I recently purchased an 07 fixer upper with 174k. Driving home from the sell it worked perfectly until everything warmed up (fluid wise) and stuck itself in 4th(5 on dash display) gear. After researching online and running the codes, I went against my old school mechanic dads advice and replace the front cam sensor.

I was amazed when I started the car it cranked right over (as opposed to the slow crank we all know about with this issue) and when I put the car into manual mode it easily transitioned between gears.

as I was sure this couldn't be that easy of a fix, I allowed the car to idle until it was warm, and as soon as I moved to drive it stuck itself. I ran a short errand, and when leaving I decided to see if manual mode functioned In any manner, and pushed it down. as I did the transmission made a harder than normal shift, and drove like it was in first gear. still displaying 5 on the dash. as I accelerated to the next shift point I shifted up (not to drive but still in manual mode) and the car made a hard shift into what seemed like 3rd or 4th gear. It made it home fine, and it seems like the transmission is working wonderfully with cold fluid... But as soon as it warms up it wants to stick.

Being the car will easily shift cold, and wants to shift warm, I suspect this issue is more on the electrical side than mechanical.

I see suggestions to reset the ECU or TCM, and I am trying to find a diagram of the transmission electronics layout. I'm at a loss, and dad isn't exactly up to par on these super computerized systems.

so my specific questions would be:

Should I go ahead and replace the second cam sensor, or will it send a different code? (P0340)

if so will that be the final fix?

or will I need to have the ECU or TCM (one or the other) reset at the dealership? (Is there anyway to do this from my little garage?)

(I have a very basic shop with a code reader etc, so I suspect I will have to go out of pocket on the resets, but otherwise I intend to complete the repairs on my own and any advice to avoid a costly dealership visit {or even mechanic visit if avoidable}) would be greatly appreciated.

I am not a professional mechanic, but I've been in the automotive business for over 15 years so I'm not totally flying blind here!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys!

I'm from mexico, and I have a 2004 nissan maxima.

recently I had the same fault, where my transmission stayed in 5, after visiting many workshops, I decided to find and solve the problem on my own (I have basic knowledge in mechanics and mechatronics). I finally found the problem. and this is the rear abs sensor, disconnecting the problem off (however, abs lights lit), so now I use it. as I arrive sensors (buy them on ebay). those who have this problem, try disconnecting sensors abs. regards!