6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Free 100 Point Inspection by Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Free 100 Point Inspection by Dealer

Local Nissan dealer was doing 100 point inspections on all Nissans....no charge.
So I brought the 2007 Maxima in. Car is 2.5 years old and has 48,000 all highway miles, completely stock used as a daily driver/commuter car.
They found these problems:
Belts need to be replaced
Low side AC hose needs to be replaced
Rear motor mount needs to be replaced
Battery "service" required ($29.95 to take a little corrision off the positive terminal)

They suggested replacing the struts even tho they had replaced them under warranty a year ago.

Total pricing for all these parts and labor is over $1600.00 with about $1,000.00 for labor. I told them their pricing was out of line and I intend to have the suggested work reviewed by a local Nissan independent shop and have the work done there.

Is this kind of wear usual to these cars at the 48K mark?

Thanks for any advice or comments.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:46 PM

Probably not, however this is what you can expect from the 100 point inspection. Now fix everthing youself and save a grand.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Thats why they call it the stealership, lmao. Upsell, they hope you are a retarded enough to pay them. 1000 in labor is crazy. dont ever go back to that place.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 PM

I would say maybe the belts, I've always replaced mine every 2 years or so...but the motor mount and AC hose? at 48k? not very likely.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM

The free inspection is a gimmick to get money?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:04 AM

there is no rear motor mount there is a front mount, a side mount, and a transmission mount. the transmission mount is the rear mount which is impossible for them to see even with an inspection mirror. They must have given you a quote from someone elses car. I have 76k miles with the same belts on it. they seem to be fine. take some vinigar and put it on the battery to clean it off, there are also terminal cleaner sprays you can buy. then rinse it off with distilled water. cost about 1/4 the cost of their service. The a/c hose I would buy and replace myself. but then you have to refill the a/c. I would just have nissan fix that one and recharge my a/c system.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Torchcorvette
Battery "service" required ($29.95 to take a little corrision off the positive terminal)

They suggested replacing the struts even tho they had replaced them under warranty a year ago.

Do belts urself - Its easy and cheap - Keep the old belts in your trunk as spares in case your new ones fail.

AC hose - I doubt it needs replcing unless something kicked up from the road and nicked it which I doubt since there are trays underneath. Inspect it yourself for nicks.

Rear motor mount - I doubt it since there would obvious signs (rattles or other noises)

Battery service - Get some baking soda and take your terminals off and clean them with the soda and water and re install and tighten.

Struts - Get aftermarket as Nissan struts suck.

Its pretty much what everyone else here said. And its true - thats why they are called "stealership" since they steal money from people with false recommendations to do stuff that isnt necessary.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I would NEVER give the dealer (or even the independent shop) the go ahead on any major repairs without seeing the problem first hand........that is, typically with the car on a lift.......I'll see what the independent guy has to say this week. Safe to say I will not be going back to the stealership for anything.

BTW, what is easiest way to access the two belts???

Thanks.

PS. If you want to see real stealerships, try a Mercedes dealer......the coffee, big TV, loaner cars, etc. are all fine....until they hand you the bill.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
MAXIN' ON

Thanks for all the comments. I would NEVER give the dealer (or even the independent shop) the go ahead on any major repairs without seeing the problem first hand........that is, typically with the car on a lift.......I'll see what the independent guy has to say this week. Safe to say I will not be going back to the stealership for anything.

BTW, what is easiest way to access the two belts???

Thanks.

PS. If you want to see real stealerships, try a Mercedes dealer......the coffee, big TV, loaner cars, etc. are all fine....until they hand you the bill.
If you do a search for people that did the UDP (under drive pulley) there are several right ups that have pics and give you and idea of what to do.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Local Nissan dealer was doing 100 point inspections on all Nissans....no charge.
So I brought the 2007 Maxima in. Car is 2.5 years old and has 48,000 all highway miles, completely stock used as a daily driver/commuter car.
They found these problems:

Total pricing for all these parts and labor is over $1600.00 with about $1,000.00 for labor. I told them their pricing was out of line and I intend to have the suggested work reviewed by a local Nissan independent shop and have the work done there.

Took it to local indep Nissan guy today. He found no motor mount problems at all. I had him flush the radiator, flush the black brake fluid, change the belts, and replace the AC line (it was leaking..you could see it with naked eye....
Belts were a little worn so I'll keep in trunk as emergency spares.
I cleaned the battery terminal with baking soda and a terminal cleaner.
Should be good to 80-100K which is all I want out of this car.

I would bet they come up with $1,000. minimum worth of work on every car the look at under their "free" inspection. I'll never go back there for anything and, if I ever buy another Nissan product, it will not be there.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

never ever fall for their 100 point inspection. When you bring your car for one of these this is what you're saying to them...

Here is my car; I need you to see what can be replaced (even if not needed) so that you can make some money. Thank you, you can rape me now!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=xoomer.com;7272569]never ever fall for their 100 point inspection. When you bring your car for one of these this is what you're saying to them...

"Here is my car; I need you to see what can be replaced (even if not needed) so that you can make some money. Thank you, you can rape me now!"

Funny! And true!