6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Dreaded Transmission Problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Dreaded Transmission Problems :(

So lately my car has had rough shifts, lagging to go into gear and other typical tranny problems. I ordered a shift kit from transgo, should be here today. So now my question is i will have the shift kit installed and it should fix my problems right? If it hasn't made any damage to other components. So here is what I have noticed it only does it when its hot or warm, almost if the tranny doesn't cool while driving. Like in example, when I first leave from my house to the store 20 mins away it does the problem once I am arriving. And the same process when returning to my house just when I am about to get their. If i take a long drive(30 mins) when I am parking their is like a 3 sec or more delay for the car to go from drive to reverse or vice versa. When I going to go back home it leaves just fine, has hard shifts but no slips. But getting off the freeway and going through normal traffic sucks its slips on the first gear a lil 2nd is the worst then 3rd is around the same as 1st but after 3rd its normal. I do not know what type of tranny cooler I have how can i check if it is the Radiator cooled or the other one thats somewhere else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM
oem ftw!

Check out the transmission fix sticky if you haven't already. I had the exact same problem when I bought my '05. Problem only surfaced after a 20 minute drive. I had mine rebuilt under warranty, as my transmission had other damage apart from the valve body. If possible, check your ATF condition and see if there are any chunks of metal in it.

The shift kit has worked for some, but some people have installed the kit with no change at all. The proven fix, if there is nothing else wrong within your transmission, has been a replacement with the updated nissan valve body. Honestly, I would have gone the VB route if I were you, instead of the kit. I know it costs more, but it's worth it for the peace of mind of having a guaranteed fix.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME
Check out the transmission fix sticky if you haven't already. I had the exact same problem when I bought my '05. Problem only surfaced after a 20 minute drive. I had mine rebuilt under warranty, as my transmission had other damage apart from the valve body. If possible, check your ATF condition and see if there are any chunks of metal in it.

The shift kit has worked for some, but some people have installed the kit with no change at all. The proven fix, if there is nothing else wrong within your transmission, has been a replacement with the updated nissan valve body. Honestly, I would have gone the VB route if I were you, instead of the kit. I know it costs more, but it's worth it for the peace of mind of having a guaranteed fix.
I checked out the thread and its what brought me into getting the kit. I got my fluid changed like 10k miles ago at the dealer when the problem was young. When I get the kit in and get installed I will check if there is not any metal in there. Well its scheduled to be delivered today I just wanted to know if maybe something in the tranny's cooling system is wrong. So how would I check to see if I have the radiator cooled one?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
oem ftw!

Well, I may be wrong but to my knowledge the 5speed autos have the cylindrical shaped cooler, with lines running through the radiator.

On my '05, I have the same cooler as Chern, seen in this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/7776918-post4.html

If yours looks like that, then you have the same one.

But your problem is more likely something else, not the tranny's cooling system. Check this post from the transmission fix thread. It explains what is going on when the shifting gets bad after it warms up:

http://forums.maxima.org/7442629-post64.html
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
Well, I may be wrong but to my knowledge the 5speed autos have the cylindrical shaped cooler, with lines running through the radiator.
You are correct. The two lines carry coolant to and from the radiator to the small cyclindrical, circular cooler near the transmission under the vehicle.

I added a trans cooler to mine (06 5spd auto) and it certainly helps but it's not a cure.