6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax2004
Problem solved. Got a beefier VB with the right internal parts...The new VB was $599.
What does this mean? Is it oem or not? If not, what is it?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Wish I woulda known about the kit before I spent 2 grand and a valve rebuild...oh we'll at least he did a good job been 2 years and no problems, btw even on my oem valve rebuild the car slams a lil from first to reverse it did the day I got it back, I think it's just something that You have to accept with this car, although I hate how that portion feels the rest has been cherry, but then again for 2 grand it better be...
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
What does this mean? Is it oem or not? If not, what is it?
http://www.revmaxconverters.com/inde...s/55-50sn.html?

Sorry for the late reply.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanx for the links in there fellas .
Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax2004
Don't get that if you want the problem to go away. This is an OEM non rebuilt replacement. Doesn't look like it comes with upgraded solenoids.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Just added a poll to this thread please update with your vote.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM

lucky me...boo

So, recently purchased an 04 max sl, and as i continue to read the forums there seems to be a small issue, lol, with the 4 speed auto. I currently have 111000 miles on it, it does have the 4 speed auto. Just outta curiosity, what are the simptoms, and what exactly happens to these trannys. Do they absolutely fail, or do there start slipping, missing shift points... etc. Pleasev any and all posts are welcome. Its sounds like this transgo kit is the way to go. Is this something that i can install myself, in a days time without dropping the tranny?? Or is this something that may need a couple of days. I use this car every day, so down time info is very critical. Thanks

Last edited by cornfedmax; 10-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by cornfedmax
So, recently purchased an 04 max sl, and as i continue to read the forums there seems to be a small issue, lol, with the 4 speed auto. I currently have 111000 miles on it, it does have the 4 speed auto. Just outta curiosity, what are the simptoms, and what exactly happens to these trannys. Do they absolutely fail, or do there start slipping, missing shift points... etc. Pleasev any and all posts are welcome. Its sounds like this transgo kit is the way to go. Is this something that i can install myself, in a days time without dropping the tranny?? Or is this something that may need a couple of days. I use this car every day, so down time info is very critical. Thanks
With the 4speed, I think you should have little worry.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Don't get that if you want the problem to go away. This is an OEM non rebuilt replacement. Doesn't look like it comes with upgraded solenoids.
Hey guys, love this place, im in the same boat as most people, with an 06 maxima, 110k.
I found this rebuilt VB, they claim it solves our issues, bang shifting, overheat issues, etc.
Check it out, they have a video of how they test the VB.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Link doesn't work on my playbook for some reason.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Uh crap, sorry, but if you google sunbelt valve bodies it will come right up.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone have any thoughts? I would really like to know what some of you think before I run out and buy this.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com/sb...1/Default.aspx

Category: Nissan - Manufacturer: Sunbelt Valve Body Builders
Model Number: AW55/50-SB1
AW55/50

Complete valve bodies with all electronics.

* Torn-down
* Inspected
* Sonnax Updated
* Computer Tested
* 100% Guaranteed
* 1 Year Warranty
* Tech Help Line
Core charges do apply. Please contact us for more information.

Contact Via Email

Phone:
(813) 961-5560

AW55/50, upgraded with all Sonnax parts
$525.00
Quantity:
Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Link works for me . Sunbelt .
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sprocketser
Link works for me . Sunbelt .

Any thoughts on it, good deal? Bad deal?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brian c

From what I ve read , it s an upgrade from oem , but I have to have my tranny guy what are his thoughts about Sonnax & if he installed them , gotta be a little while , i give him a call in a couple of days , anyways I want to mod then tranny too .

Level 10 s pretty good too .

Last edited by sprocketser; 10-24-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Add stuff .
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SUCCESS!
I installed this VB tonight....started driving it, didn't notice COMPLETE resolution, only SOME of the issues where solved.
Then I did the ReLEArN procedure provided by the retailer....took a little while driving around town at midnight, but now.....it's GREAT!

Bottom line.....I am so glad I found this thread...
And just want to say thanks to you all for sharing your info....good and bad, it makes decision making so much easier.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SUCCESS!
I installed this VB tonight....started driving it, didn't notice COMPLETE resolution, only SOME of the issues where solved.
Then I did the ReLEArN procedure provided by the retailer....took a little while driving around town at midnight, but now.....it's GREAT!

And just want to say thanks to you all for sharing your info....good and bad, it makes decision making so much easier.
The upgraded valve body I got was great as well. The mechanic mentioned it would have to "learn" again, but all my issues were fixed at pick up. I added another 3k miles to it, and no issues at all. I drove 3 hours on the hwy at an avg speed of 80mph, and up to 110 mph, and no overheating or jerking issues etc...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bought my max new in 2005 in Cali. Loved my car from day 1. It started having problems at about 75K. I had not changed the trans fluid til that point. Lived with the trans issues until recently. Bought a new valve body from nissan for $798 with tax... I babied the car and kept changing the fluid during this period and the trans was not damaged. At 111K miles I invested 3 hrs to install a new valve body. I used a detailed paper diagram for wires and bolts. Good to go. It was not difficult...however proper reinstall is critical. I added cold air and open exhaust. My Max is a beast now. I did the valve body upgrade and switched to Mobile 1 synthetic fluid. As long as your engine mounts have not been damaged from the severe shifting...everything should work perfect again. $800 is not cheap by any means...however getting your car back is priceless. If you ask a Nissan tech or trans shop they will say the trans is bad. Not the case. Just the valve body. Swap it out and enjoy your ride again! Thanks for all the intel on this trans issues for these cars. I almost gave up and dumped my car...now I can enjoy it for another 100K+ miles! Keep the trans fluid fresh (it is a easy drain and fill) and use top quality products and you should not have probs.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 AM

SUCCESS!

So which one did you install brian .
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by TEXMAX1
Bought my max new in 2005 in Cali. Loved my car from day 1. It started having problems at about 75K. I had not changed the trans fluid til that point. Lived with the trans issues until recently. Bought a new valve body from nissan for $798 with tax... I babied the car and kept changing the fluid during this period and the trans was not damaged. At 111K miles I invested 3 hrs to install a new valve body. I used a detailed paper diagram for wires and bolts. Good to go. It was not difficult...however proper reinstall is critical. I added cold air and open exhaust. My Max is a beast now. I did the valve body upgrade and switched to Mobile 1 synthetic fluid. As long as your engine mounts have not been damaged from the severe shifting...everything should work perfect again. $800 is not cheap by any means...however getting your car back is priceless. If you ask a Nissan tech or trans shop they will say the trans is bad. Not the case. Just the valve body. Swap it out and enjoy your ride again! Thanks for all the intel on this trans issues for these cars. I almost gave up and dumped my car...now I can enjoy it for another 100K+ miles! Keep the trans fluid fresh (it is a easy drain and fill) and use top quality products and you should not have probs.
Happy that you fixed it yourself TEX , they charge up to 2.5 k just to make a repair here . You saved quit allot .
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sprocketser
So which one did you install brian .
I went with the VB from Sunbelt Valvebodies, since they are local for me, the swap was pretty painless......only lost about 3 quarts.
They were. Very helpful and knowledgable concerning our problem with these trannies.
I would definitely recomend.
Brian
Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Does anyone have to pdf for doing this repair so we can get it stickied?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

new to the thread , i hv a 04sl , 152k mile , experiencing shift bang , jerk and slip . will the transgo kit do fix the problem or should i replace the tranny . my mechanic quote me $1600 for a used 4 speed at . thx
Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by fliu1965
new to the thread , i hv a 04sl , 152k mile , experiencing shift bang , jerk and slip . will the transgo kit do fix the problem or should i replace the tranny . my mechanic quote me $1600 for a used 4 speed at . thx
This thread is for 5speed. Is yours one?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM

It must be the cam &/or the cam sensors fliu
Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 AM

Ok i have read thru the 27 pages here (whew) and i have my transgo kit already, going to install it this weekend but i am wondering if the ones who did the kit installed all the stuff that came with the kit or if you just fixed the solenoids and not messed with the other 2 pieces in there? our car shifts fine from p to d and all that, it just has the 2-3 and 3-4 high rev until it kicks into gear.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by flyanbrian
Ok i have read thru the 27 pages here (whew) and i have my transgo kit already, going to install it this weekend but i am wondering if the ones who did the kit installed all the stuff that came with the kit or if you just fixed the solenoids and not messed with the other 2 pieces in there? our car shifts fine from p to d and all that, it just has the 2-3 and 3-4 high rev until it kicks into gear.

Since you re already in there with these , I would change these parts as well
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM

yes i was debating that, saw a video that said you could remove the 3 solenoids without taking the VB off, so just weighting out the options
Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There should be a recall on these transmissions.

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE that is stock except for a Nismo cold air intake. At 79k I had the issues with the transmission indicated here with the hard shifting in lower gears. I ended up needing a complete rebuild of the transmission and VB this was in March 2010. The car ran fine until it hit 92k three weeks ago then it started again but rapidly deteriorated to slipping badly. I took it to the shop and there are metal shavings so it has to be rebuilt again. I do not race this car, I am the original owner and only have 92k miles on the car since i drove it off the lot in October 2004. I spoke to Nissan the first time this happened and they were unwilling to acknowledge there was any defect and would not help me since I was past my warranty. I really used to love Nissan (I have owned an 70 Datsun Pickup;80 Datsun Pickup; 87 Nissan Sentra; 88 Nissan Maxima and 90 Nissan Hardbody) this experience has really made me question whether I would purchase a Nissan again.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Kaostherie....the dealer told me the other day when i stopped by to get matic k fluid that if i had not changed the fluid before 74K miles not to bother. and to me thats just nuts, said it could already have internal damage, etc. this is def my first and last nissan, my fords and chevy run and operate just fine
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Hey flyanbrian , don t get backed up by stupid dealership , it s not him that ll pay if you need required repairs or whatever , I do or have had done maintenance @ my desired wants & needs , I don t bother with what they say , unless they know what they re doing , luckily we have a good dealership close to where I live . Search the Forum , Google it , & go from there ,
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 AM

I guess its my time to post i ve been around only about 2 months on this forum so really didnt now much about how to solve this problem all i new is that nissan is making alot of money with this problem.So i decided to go with supposely better parts than to use the same nissan parts so i went level ten with torqe converter yes the bulletproof tranny only because people around my are scared of this transmission people would tell me to get a used but whats the point in that to still have the same problem.So Pat the owner of level ten said i would get stage 3 clutch pack and i already had valve body from them and i was still under warranty form valvebody i was discounted a large amount.I brought this car with this problem about 2 years and drove it with the problem and damage the clutches not knowning damage i was causing,so in that time i only went with valebody it lasted about 10k miles,but due to the bad clutches transmission failed and then went bulletproof.So far i have 4k miles on it no problem the also has some mods in it,they also said that ecu was upgarde for the transmision.Car runs really smoth,fast shift,no slams.I let my mechanic drive to get his opinion and he said flawless.So my warranty 12k 1 year i will drive this thin really hard and see how this will hold before this warrnty goes away and i will post again at around 10k and if everything goes good i will still take back for a check up before this warranty is done .
So u in a couple of months.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM

So a Level 10 will be of order , VB + ClutchPak , definitively a good choice .
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM

i have an 05 se with 74k, trans has had the same problems since 65k just never knew there was a fix.
I'll be purchasing the transgo kit and some motor mounts and installing all parts myself.

A few questions

1. where can i get the transgo kit?
2. can i leave the vb in the car and just remove the solenoids?
3.which mount is the mount that causes the loud/annoying "whining" sound i hear at all speeds? (no it isnt a bad bearing)
4.any vids on these components?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 AM

Need to remove the valvebody from tranny .
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM

well it happened. I destroyed 3rd gear. Messing around in the rain and shifted at what the speedometer said was 90mph and from 2nd to 3rd. Car was only doing about 20mph So my dumba$$ is looking into a new valve body. Nissan dealer diagnosed it to a stuck valve in the valve body. If it's stuck, then it probably scored the inside, and the chances of this happening again is extremely high if I just unstick it and put it all back together. I have sent sunbelt and email to see if it is worth my time, money, and effort to go with them. I guess we will see. I don't want just an oem valvebody with sonnax parts installed. That does not correct the problem we all are experiencing. The problem lies in the parts as well as the solenoids sticking in combination with defective Camshaft Position Sensors and broken motor mounts. Horrible I know, but if they tell me what I want to hear, then I will go with them. Thanks Brian C for a good find.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Slipping/Jerking Annoyance FIXED!

Thanks to all the posts on this matter and especially to Chernmax, Costee, Kevmaster, and Pimp and MEGA THANKS TO Scrui for his how-to Post (Link Below).

and HAD to sign up just to thank you all.

Here's my tale..
  1. 2005 Purchased Maxima new
  2. May 2010 - vehicle paid off
  3. August 2011 - 140,000 Miles, 1st noticed jerking in reverse to drive
  4. September 2011 - noticed slipping from stop to drive
  5. September 2011 - surfed the problem on the net and found Maxima Forum
  6. September 2011 - Read Chernmax's post and registered with class action suit
  7. September 2011 - Read of the Transgo Kit fix
  8. October 2011 - had to breakdown and call my ex (significant other and mechanic) for help
  9. October 2011 - ex sent me to his transmission specialist buddy who couldn't find any transmission problems but said to take to dealer for code readout
  10. October 2011 - took to dealer and I didn't mention slipping and neither did they but told me to buy a new car-too many issues and it wouldn't pass the upcoming (August 2012) inspection. The $100 printout listed over $5000 in repairs (the gave me a $30 break on the diagnostic).
  11. Winter 2011 - noticed no slipping/jerking
  12. Spring 2012 - slipping/jerking started up again
  13. June 2012 - panicked of mega $s needed to repair for upcoming inspection (August 2012)
  14. June 2012 - Read Max Forum posts on TRANSGO SHIFT KIT vs VALVE BODY
  15. June 2012 - Read Max Forum post from Scrui's on how-to-fix slipping problem (link below) and called Courtesyparts Nissan for the valve body (part #31705-8Y00A) and was quoted $844
  16. July 2012 - Searched for a mechanic to put in Valve Body
  17. July 2012 - wanted to drive to queens to see Scrui!!!!
  18. August 2012 - Called both local dealers and were told two different prices (both over $1000). I quoted the Courtesyparts price and after fussing and them looking up the cost, one sold it at the online rate.
  19. August 2012 - new boyfriend (not a mechanic) followed Scrui's instructions to a tee, except he used a lift-took 3-4 hrs.
  20. November 2012 - 25,757 miles later still no problems! - HALLELUHAH!
  21. November 2012 - New Boyfriend is a keeper-for now-but will get rid of Max at some point!
Question:
  • Did I read that the transmission oil should be changed at some point? If so, when or how many miles?
Maxima forums - Post #577 & #588 by Scrui

Last edited by Radtoo; 11-19-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX