6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am looking for kind of the same area DFW to be exact who can do the VB replacement. Any recomendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 04 5AT maxima with VB problem. The car fail the Vehicle Inspection test. The fault code is PO780 shift malfunctuion and PO797 Pressure control solenoid "C" stuck on.The problem -jerking and banging ,in a stop and go traffic started last year. I took it to local tranny shop and he is asking $3500.00 to replace the VB and chek on the transmission . I think he is asking a lot . Does any one know any shop in the DFW area who can replace the VB ?..I have read a lot of horror stories with their VB's not installed properly. If any one knows a good shop who can do the job please please help a lady . I have to do it asap..Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would like to say thanks for posting the how-to on vb replacement. Experienced rpm spike and slam on 2-3 shifts, jerky 1-2 shifts, and hard 3-2 shifts on a 2004 5at. Been acting up @ 60,000 and continued to get worse, currently @ 92,000. My car was manf in 2003 so it had the 8y000 vb. I installed the 8yooB, dealership price matched courtesy price. Install went well, I purposely broke the clips on the old vb for the ps1-ps3 connectors to make them easier to remove. Be carful when installing the new vb that you dont knock down those governing gaskets, I can see them getting knocked out without even knowing it happened. Took 4 qts of Matic k. Old fluid was very dark. Test drive went great. Plan to do a drain and fill in a week. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by UCFAlumni2000
Would like to say thanks for posting the how-to on vb replacement. Experienced rpm spike and slam on 2-3 shifts, jerky 1-2 shifts, and hard 3-2 shifts on a 2004 5at. Been acting up @ 60,000 and continued to get worse, currently @ 92,000. My car was manf in 2003 so it had the 8y000 vb. I installed the 8yooB, dealership price matched courtesy price. Install went well, I purposely broke the clips on the old vb for the ps1-ps3 connectors to make them easier to remove. Be carful when installing the new vb that you dont knock down those governing gaskets, I can see them getting knocked out without even knowing it happened. Took 4 qts of Matic k. Old fluid was very dark. Test drive went great. Plan to do a drain and fill in a week. Thanks again!
Hello,
I have the same problem with my 04 maxima that needs a vb replacement. The problem started @ 90,000 miles and continued to get worse now it is 110,000. The car failed the emmission test ..showed two codes ,PO780 and PO797. I took it to a local tarnny shop and said since the car been driven for a while I might have damaged the transmission and needs overhaul- said the transimission oil is very dark and has a burnt smell. He is asking $3500 to do the vb replacement and the overhaul. You said the oil was very dark ,,, did it smell like a burnt oil too? Did you do anything to the transmission? I am not sure why my car need a transmission overhalu. Actually two shops came to that conclusion because of the dark transmission fluid. Please advice if you know anything about this. Thanks...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you!

Thank you to all of you who helped me with my transmission troubles. I have a 2006 Nissan Quest with the 5 speed transmission and after reading these posts I got the courage to fix the problem. You saved me thousands of $$$. My van is now running better than ever, since I bought it used, and am more than happy with the fix. I made a video that I posted on YouTube with some basic info about the fix to help encourage those that are thinking about fixing it themselves. It is not hard to do with some basic tools and some type of a metal grinder you can do it also. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAIt...e_gdata_player
Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pome
Hello,
I have the same problem with my 04 maxima that needs a vb replacement. The problem started @ 90,000 miles and continued to get worse now it is 110,000. The car failed the emmission test ..showed two codes ,PO780 and PO797. I took it to a local tarnny shop and said since the car been driven for a while I might have damaged the transmission and needs overhaul- said the transimission oil is very dark and has a burnt smell. He is asking $3500 to do the vb replacement and the overhaul. You said the oil was very dark ,,, did it smell like a burnt oil too? Did you do anything to the transmission? I am not sure why my car need a transmission overhalu. Actually two shops came to that conclusion because of the dark transmission fluid. Please advice if you know anything about this. Thanks...
Pome,
I'm no expert nor can I predict whats wrong with your particular tranny but IMHO, if the shop is concluding you need an overhaul based exclusively on the fact your tranny fluid is burnt, I would be skeptical. Not sure what your codes mean and if that led to their conclusion. Now if you pulled the drain plug and found a large quantity of metal shavings in the fluid, that would be evidence IMO that the tranny needs work. My fluid was mostly black with a very little tint of orange. The tip of my drain plug also contained about a half of a pencil eraser worth of black looking sludge. Based on the looks and smell I would say it was burnt. There had been times in the past that my engine temp would spike very close to the H on the gauge, now that I understand how the tranny is cooled in these Maximas, I know that if my engine is running hot my tranny is running HOTTER. Hence the reason for my burnt fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if the heater core/coolant gurgling problems we all experience due to air in the system in some way is related to our tranny issues due to excessive temps. The vehicles heat transfer design is inadaquate and has many flaws. The new 5 qts I put in when replacing the vb had brought my fluid color back up to orange. The 2nd drain and fill I did 5 days later has me back to a clean red color. 7 days into my vb replacement and my tranny is still shifting smooth. Be careful if you ask these shops to replace only the vb, they may try to prove u wrong and prove themselves right that you needed an 'overhaul' by sabotaging the job. Be sure you choose someone you can trust.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:28 AM

I think UCFAlumni2000 has offered a wise suggestion. My car pulled P0780, and for this the ESM suggests VB change. That was what I did, and all has been smooth since then (July 2011). The fluid was black when I did the change, but there were not metal shavings. Should this be the same for yours, your tranny is still probably in good condition and a new VB should solve the problem. Anyway, should you decide on a VB change, I'd advise you stopped using the car to avoid damage to the tranny.
P0797--the ESM also recommends VB change.

Last edited by Costee; 05-18-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you to UCFAlumni2000 & Costee, I took my car to AAMACO and concluded it is a valve body problem and change the VB for $1800.00 +Tax. He first asked for $2000 but told him that I could get the part for $860.00 and went down to $1800. I still think the price was high but did not have any other choice. Both places that I went to did not want to just change VB and they would not give me the warranty. He said I do not have tran. problem.. and gave me a year warranty. The car drives good ..hope it will last another 100,000 miles.Thank you guys for all your help.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 with 80k trans fix

Just a quick message to all those who may be having the same 04-06 transmission issues (hard shifting into gears, clanking between P & D, and transmission getting stuck in 5th gear)...

Just had transmission valve body replaced ($1200.00) yesterday by a local nissan dealership and was surprised that the service dept. agreed with my insistence in JUST having the valve body replaced.. Drove it approx. 250 miles after fix with no issues or signs of any of the pre-existing problems..

Thought someone out there would like to know the correct fix
Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bryantodd22
Just a quick message to all those who may be having the same 04-06 transmission issues (hard shifting into gears, clanking between P & D, and transmission getting stuck in 5th gear)...

Just had transmission valve body replaced ($1200.00) yesterday by a local nissan dealership and was surprised that the service dept. agreed with my insistence in JUST having the valve body replaced.. Drove it approx. 250 miles after fix with no issues or signs of any of the pre-existing problems..

Thought someone out there would like to know the correct fix
Glad to hear it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car has a little over 101k and the issues with the tranny started around 95k. Had the fluid flushed (suggested by the shop I go to) and it's still doing the same thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop around Atlanta that has experience with this Nissan issue?

eta... the place that did the flush said the fluid was VERY dark - almost black - but no mention of shavings or metal bits. they suggested I come back in a month and get another flush...

Last edited by kdmall; 06-08-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by kdmall
My car has a little over 101k and the issues with the tranny started around 95k. Had the fluid flushed (suggested by the shop I go to) and it's still doing the same thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop around Atlanta that has experience with this Nissan issue?

eta... the place that did the flush said the fluid was VERY dark - almost black - but no mention of shavings or metal bits. they suggested I come back in a month and get another flush...
Sounds easy enough. Any codes? I'm looking towards a valve body change. The earlier the better to avert irremediable damage to the transmission.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Sounds easy enough. Any codes? I'm looking towards a valve body change. The earlier the better to avert irremediable damage to the transmission.
Car is in the shop today to get a/c compressor swapped out. They said they would pull the codes on the tranny and give me some idea of what all is going on.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to share my experience on the Transgo valve body fix. I did it by myself over one week, the total labor might be around 10~12 hours. I really would have spent less time if I hadn't encountered a messy torx bolt.
I have droven the 2004 Quest for 100 miles since the repair. The 1-2 shift jerk seems to be gone. The only issue I'm a little worried is how long the new end cap can stay there.

The DIY is actually not complex at all, but involves very careful attention and several tricks. Watch several youtube videos before you start.

OK, now is the experience.
1st, take photos in different directions before every removal. Pay very careful attention to the direction of the solenoids and holders.
2nd, when you are removing the torx bolts, use quality T-40. Do not use poor quality tools and make sure the bit is tight and snug in the hole. I didn't know I have to use T40 and tried T30/T35 initially, and they messed up the bolt! Finally I had to remove the radiator and use a hammer to drive a T40 into the hole to remove that bolt.
3rd, I didn't remove the valve body to fix the solenoids. Basically you could just disconnect the electrical connections to the three linear solenoids and remove the two holders, and then the solenoids can be removed. The connections are plastic and may be brittle and so don't break them. There are bumps between tha tabs and solenoid outer wall. I spent 5~20 minutes on each one. Be patient!
4th, make sure you don't leave any dirty stuff or particles on the solenoids. I used a plastic bag to cover the valve body between the removal and installation.
5th, if you don't remove the valve body you only need to follow the first three pages. Use an angel grinder to remove the old end cap. After you remove enough metal the old cap will suddenly fly away. Do wear a goggle or at least a watch glass. After flushed the solenoid side walls I used a fine sandpaper to further flush the surface. The more careful and slow you do the job, the less likely the trouble will come back. I chose Permeax red High strength to stick the new end caps.
6th, you probably don't need a micrometer for the job. I bought one and measured mine on 2004 Quest and they were 0.1565, so I used the silver drill bit. You can probably see which drill bit to use by common sense instead of a micrometer which might be no use for the next 10 years. You are using the drill bit of proper size to clean the inside of the bore, not to enlarge it. I got a little bit of crap from each bore but not too much.

The tools you need for this fix are 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, T40, jack/jack stands or ramps, angle/bench grinder and sandpaper, 3.5 qt ATF.

I did an extensive research and believe Castrol Dexron VI is a proper substitute for Nissan Matic K. Matic K is Dexron III(H), VI is an updated version of III(H) afaik.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haven't picked up my max from the shop for the ac repair, but giggles I called the local Nissan dealership to me and asked about the tranny issue.

1) Has NO idea what I'm talking about when I mentioned the issue with my year of max
2) Says right off it needs a new tranny and wants to give me a quote
3) Replacing the valve body is "a bad choice" because it's the tranny needing replaced and when they replace the VB it's a no refunds situation when that doesn't fix the problem and I come back wanting the tranny
4) It's not worth it on a car with 100k

Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Owner

Hi All:
I am a new owner (literally two days ago) of a 2005 Maxima automatic 5 speed that I already love. It's funny, when I buy a car the first thing I do now is search for great forums like this one. How technology has changed us.
I have a quick question regarding the transmission. When I purchased the car, the dealer informed me that they had just replaced the valve body on it. The dealer and shop are certified Nissan so I assume it was a genuine Nissan replacement. In looking through this forum, I didn't see any mention as to whether or not Nissan has fixed the original problems on the new valve body? So basically, since this vehicle has a new valve body in it, do I still need to be proactive and look at having the starter kit replaced? I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance and by the way, this forum is one of the best I've seen yet for vehicles.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by buzaggie
Hi All:
I am a new owner (literally two days ago) of a 2005 Maxima automatic 5 speed that I already love. It's funny, when I buy a car the first thing I do now is search for great forums like this one. How technology has changed us.
I have a quick question regarding the transmission. When I purchased the car, the dealer informed me that they had just replaced the valve body on it. The dealer and shop are certified Nissan so I assume it was a genuine Nissan replacement. In looking through this forum, I didn't see any mention as to whether or not Nissan has fixed the original problems on the new valve body? So basically, since this vehicle has a new valve body in it, do I still need to be proactive and look at having the starter kit replaced? I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance and by the way, this forum is one of the best I've seen yet for vehicles.
Congrats on your new buy. With a slight change in the part number of the oem valve body, it is hoped that Nissan has probably upgraded its valve body. Since your dealer said the valve body on your max had just recently been replaced, give or take, you should expect some 90k miles trouble-free period from the tranny. Be sure,however, that your tranny fluid is nearly always red.[Nissaan recommends Matic K]. As for being " proactive and look at having the starter kit replaced" I'm afraid I don't understand what that means in the context of maintaining your tranny. Enjoy your max.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Congrats on your new buy. With a slight change in the part number of the oem valve body, it is hoped that Nissan has probably upgraded its valve body. Since your dealer said the valve body on your max had just recently been replaced, give or take, you should expect some 90k miles trouble-free period from the tranny. Be sure,however, that your tranny fluid is nearly always red.[Nissaan recommends Matic K]. As for being " proactive and look at having the starter kit replaced" I'm afraid I don't understand what that means in the context of maintaining your tranny. Enjoy your max.
Sorry, clearly I'm not mechanically inclined. I meant the shifting kit. From reading in previous threads the shifting kit replacement could keep the tranny from causing grief. I guess what I don't understand is is the shifting kit part of the valve body? I.E. does a new valve body guarantee a new shifting kit as well? Hope that makes sense and thanks again for answering my questions. Love the car!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Has anyone ordered from mynissanpartstore.com? They offer the valve body assembly for 749.98 plus shipping. Is it a good deal?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Dfyfyb, according to Castrol website Dexron VI is not K-Matic compatible. If you want to use Castrol transmission fluid the correct one is TRANSMAX HIGH MILEAGE, where it lists it is compatible with Nissan's K-Matic.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by morbius182
I'm new to the forum but used all of the helpful info on this forum, I had this problem around 115,000 miles about 6 months ago so i bought the Transgo upgrade kit and I found a guy to install it for 250.00. Happy to say not a single problem also changed all four mounts, the car shifts like new. I now have 127,000 not a single problem from the transmission. Im in the San Antonio Texas area if anyone needs this done let me know i can hook you up with this guy.
I'm new to this also. Problem started around 103,000;now it's 117,000. Getting worse. I'm in the San Marcos area. Can you email me your guy's info. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Tranny

Currently I have 2 Maximas, here are my issues:

2005 Max: Transmission jerks into gear, delayed going into gear, slips, horrible when driving around town.
I have don some research and found out this is a big issue with this generation of Maximas. Funny part is that I live in Indiana not too far from the manufacture of the transmission. Is it possible just to have some internal parts replaced without getting screwed over by a tranny shop?

2009 Max: Car messed up on me driving to Nashville, TN from Indiana. I had to get off the highway. Took it to the dealer and I was told I needed a new tranny. I could not believe it. Here I am worrying about my 05 and my 09 screws up on me. The 09 only has 50,000 on it. Long story short, I got a new tranny put in. CVT warranty is good to 120,000 through Nissan, no matter what other warranty you have. I love maximas but I am loosing faith in Nissan right now.

Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated and I will continue researching this forum as well.

Last edited by blumax05; 06-24-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by blumax05

2005 Max: Transmission jerks into gear, delayed going into gear, slips, horrible when driving around town.
I have don some research and found out this is a big issue with this generation of Maximas. Funny part is that I live in Indiana not too far from the manufacture of the transmission. Is it possible just to have some internal parts replaced without getting screwed over by a tranny shop?

2009 Max: Car messed up on me driving to Nashville, TN from Indiana. I had to get off the highway. Took it to the dealer and I was told I needed a new tranny. I could not believe it. Here I am worrying about my 05 and my 09 screws up on me. The 09 only has 50,000 on it. Long story short, I got a new tranny put in. CVT warranty is good to 120,000 through Nissan, no matter what other warranty you have. I love maximas but I am loosing faith in Nissan right now.

Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated and I will continue researching this forum as well.
By posting on this thread I want to believe you've gone through it. The thread contains options for dealing with your 05 Maxima. First things first: any codes?

Last edited by Costee; 06-24-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by buzaggie
Hi All:
Go get an extended warrenty while you still can. It will cost about 2k if you haggle with them, but is less than the cost of 1 transmission and usually get about 8 years 80k on the warrenty. Welcome to the forums
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by blumax05

This site must be like your car bible seeing that you have 2 different generation maximas. I recommend posting all of your CVT issues in the 7th gen section to get better more direct answers to your questions regarding the 09. You are at the right place for the 05 though. What 05 do you have? is it 4sp or 5sp or Manual? If it is a 5 speed you are in the right place. Have you pulled any codes yet for your car? do you have a check engine light? Cars these days are pretty complex and can give you symptoms that can be caused by something not even connected to the part that seems to be the problem. For instance, I had a what I thought was a transmission issue when my car went into 5th gear and wouldn't come out of 5th even after a restart. Come to find out it was the Camshaft Position Sensor. Figured that out pulling the codes. If you don't have a scan tool, than you can go to Autozone and have them check for you. They do it for free. They can also print out the code with possible solutions to the problem. I recommend posting your codes here and this will help us better helping you. Judging by your post, it looks like you might be in the same boat "car" as the rest of us meaning VB fix is your solution.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 PM

To all that replied. Thanks for the info. I should have done some more site searching first. There is a ton of help stuff here. After doing some more reading, I am leaning towards getting a new VB from level 10. I have already had the Cam Sensor replaced. Made the car run smoother but tranny problem still there. As far as my 09 goes. I will post in the appropriate forum. Oh I forgot..my 05 is an SE A/T. Thanks again.

Last edited by blumax05; 06-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm having similar issues with my wife's 2005 Max, and it is driving me nuts. Can anyone recommend a place/person in KY who can help? Please! Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Beware of the tranny

OK folks, I know that I might get bashed, but here's an update: After dropping over $1000 at the stealership on the valve body repair, I started hearing a strange noise about 6 months later. It was a "whirring" noise that seemed to be coming from the engine, and the noise would speed up and down with engine revs. Took it to a tranny shop and they told me it was the input bearing. Took it to the dealership and they said it was "in the transmission somewhere." The tranny shop said they might could fix it for $1500-2000 with 90-day warranty, or it might be better just to put a remanufactured one in for about $3500 which would give a 1-year warranty.

This was 6 months after dropping a grand! Don't know if the noise was a result of the prior issues, but I decided I just couldn't afford her anymore, even though I loved her.

I traded it for a 2008 Honda Accord coupe, 6 speed/6 cyl., and I'm in love with her now. I looked back once, and wondered if the half quart of Nissan Type K fluid I left in the trunk would tip off the next owner. I don't know if I'll ever have another auto tranny.

Sooo, I agree that the Maxima is a beautiful car, but beware. The damn things just aren't worth the upkeep. If that car had a manual, it would probably go forever. But that blasted auto ruined it! Who knows, maybe I'll be lucky and get my grand back.

Have you guys seen this yet?

Good luck with yours!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM

[/QUOTE] Have you guys seen this yet?

Good luck with yours![/QUOTE]

I have seen many pages that give me the 404 Page not found error. Is there something we are supposed to be looking at?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I'm a buyer of a used 2006 Maxima with 100K on it. The transmission symptoms are very seldom but I figured I better make a plan for it now. Usually the only problem I've seen is at slower speeds after the car has been driving and is hot- 20+ mins later. The only bad symptom I've seen over the last 4K miles is the 2-3 speed delay of shift. So we cringe when we hit bumper-to-bumper traffic with this guy as it's the perfect storm for the shift malfunctions. At highway speeds no problems whatsoever, nor is it a problem parking or reverse. I love the car and got a good deal and assume I'll have some used car costs associated with maintaining my to-work commuter car.

All indications from the brilliant folks here point me to a valve body replacement. I'm assuming the sooner the better at this point?

I've seen valve body and Transgo kits thrown out there, what would you all recommend I do with it? I have a very cool and lower cost mechanic that is open-minded with this issue. He actually told me about this transmission issue before I could, he did an inspection with me on it before the purchase. He will do any work for me I ask on it. He does usually offer me a 1-year warranty on the parts and work if I get parts from him ( which he prefers OEM usually) I think he roughly quoted me around $850-900 for the part and labor for the valve body OEM replacement.

What do you think I should do? Transgo or VB? Also, any part number I should have him specifically check for that has the fix?

Thanks all!

New '06 Maxima owner
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Baltix
So I'm a buyer of a used 2006 Maxima with 100K on it. The transmission symptoms are very seldom but I figured I better make a plan for it now. Usually the only problem I've seen is at slower speeds after the car has been driving and is hot- 20+ mins later. The only bad symptom I've seen over the last 4K miles is the 2-3 speed delay of shift. So we cringe when we hit bumper-to-bumper traffic with this guy as it's the perfect storm for the shift malfunctions. At highway speeds no problems whatsoever, nor is it a problem parking or reverse. I love the car and got a good deal and assume I'll have some used car costs associated with maintaining my to-work commuter car.

All indications from the brilliant folks here point me to a valve body replacement. I'm assuming the sooner the better at this point?

I've seen valve body and Transgo kits thrown out there, what would you all recommend I do with it? I have a very cool and lower cost mechanic that is open-minded with this issue. He actually told me about this transmission issue before I could, he did an inspection with me on it before the purchase. He will do any work for me I ask on it. He does usually offer me a 1-year warranty on the parts and work if I get parts from him ( which he prefers OEM usually) I think he roughly quoted me around $850-900 for the part and labor for the valve body OEM replacement.

What do you think I should do? Transgo or VB? Also, any part number I should have him specifically check for that has the fix?

Thanks all!

New '06 Maxima owner
Speaking from personal experience, I'd recommend oem valve body replacement. I have a 2006 too, so I presume the part number for yours should be 31705-8Y00A. For competitive pricing check
http://www.nissanpartsasap.com/nissa...iption=Keyword
I'd suggest, however, that you run a scan on your tranny as a first measure. My car was about 97k miles when it presented the symptoms last year May. I stopped using the car at once until I did the vb replacement in July. No problems since then.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 AM

04 5speed AT-all symptoms

Hey guys...I have a 04 Max 5SAT that has just about every symptom of the tranny problems including the rattling timing chain noise coming from the engine. This is my 8th maxima and by far the one thats giving me the most major problems. Never had an issue with any of my other max's. When i purchased the car back in 2010, The car had a light rattling noise in the engine when I first purchased it. Now i'm at the point where i have to change my oil once a month because the rattling gets so bad that it doesn't stop while driving. First two weeks after oil change the car runs fine...but then the noise slowly comes back and gets worst. SERIOUS ISSUE! Going to order a timing chain tensioner to see if that stops the problem...but that is on hold because my transmission is in serious trouble.

I live in NY and last week I drove to Atlantic City in NJ to do some gambling and on the way home...just as i got home i lost 3rd gear. So now, I can't drive my car in automatic. I have to drive it in stick mode because when i hit 2nd gear, i have to accelerate to about 40mph - 4000rpms and then double shift past 3rd to get to 4th. I get the hard shifting when downshifting and the bang when in R-D...You name it...i'm going through it...

I just purchased the transgo kit from ebay for 86.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/AW55-50-RE5F...948ee4&vxp=mtr
They have about 5 more in stock if anyone is interested.

This is the only step I have taken so far. I go on lunch break in about 2 hours. I'm going to take the car to autozone to pull up my codes and then google/print them out for my mechanic. I am wondering...should I purchase new solenoids from the dealer? I called the other day and the guy told me the set would be about $50 for new solenoids...Should i purchase them or would the old ones do? Not sure on that one. I am also going to invest in an engine/tranny cooler. I do not have enough money to get a new valve body. Money is super tight for me right now! I have a mechanic in queens that is very knowledgeable on cars in general and he has worked wonders with my car. He said he can do the job for me for about $120 which is a steal. I would love to get this done in a shop and get my *** covered with a warranty but as I said before, money is really tight!I may have a lil bit of extra money to purchase some VB parts that may be extra important. Is there anything really really important that I can purchase? Car is going under the knife in 2 days Thanks all!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM

BigLarry3371, I'm worried that you have already self-diagnosed the problems of your tranny ahead of a scan. Usually, when the vb malfunctions it results in delayed shifts; but when you lose gears, as you say you've lost your third, the problem goes beyond the vb into the inner recesses of the tranny. In that case I wonder whether the kit or even a vb replacement will avail any good. Well, let's hear what codes you pull.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM

BigLarry3371, I'm worried that you have already self-diagnosed the problems of your tranny ahead of a scan. Usually, when the vb malfunctions it results in delayed shifts; but when you lose gears, as you say you've lost your third, the problem goes beyond the vb into the inner recesses of the tranny. In that case I wonder whether the kit or even a vb replacement will avail any good. Well, let's hear what codes you pull.

ok...this may sound funny...but i found a different forum that has a fix...or what i think is a fix for a lost gear...please...anyone with knowledge...please check out this link and tell me if this makes any sense...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t103...preciated.html

Before the mechanic even touches the shift kit, he obviously would have to do this step first to get the gear back...
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 AM

Just dropped her off today to my mechanic...he's just doing the kit...and he's also going to try the method from the link above to get my 3rd gear back. Dropped it off at around 10pm...should hear back from him by mid-day tomorrow...my fingers are triple crossed! Never made it to autozone for the code...my everyday life is hectic...i have a 9-5 and run my own clothing/sneaker website...so i do alot of local deliveries...which also kills my baby on mileage...
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by BigLarry3371
Just dropped her off today to my mechanic...he's just doing the kit...and he's also going to try the method from the link above to get my 3rd gear back. Dropped it off at around 10pm...should hear back from him by mid-day tomorrow...my fingers are triple crossed! Never made it to autozone for the code...my everyday life is hectic...i have a 9-5 and run my own clothing/sneaker website...so i do alot of local deliveries...which also kills my baby on mileage...
Good luck. Endeavour to get yourself a scan tool; it's now commonplace.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 AM

Good luck. Endeavour to get yourself a scan tool; it's now commonplace.
thanks man...and i know...i need to get a scanner...they sell this nice one online...its called carMD...google it...it tells you everything wrong with your vehicle...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM

carMD is a scam http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2355945,00.asp
Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM

you can get a bunch of OBD2 readers that will clear codes as well and offer online support for updates and code searches. You don't need carMD.... Monthly fees are not needed to keep your car up and running. Plus you have us on the forum to help solve you issues.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought an 06 Maximal with about 113m last October. it started the shifting problems a short time later. after reading this thread I purchased the transgo kit about 6 weeks ago. When it came I studied the directions and everything except the selenoid repair scared the crap out of me. While troubleshooting a gauge/ac malfunction and slip tcs abs light being on, I watched some u-tube videos and decided to tackle just the selenoid repair.

Man am I glad I did. Procedure took about 4 hours. Not really hard, just tedious and time consuming. Watch part 1 of hiramgutierrez u-tube video. Great description of the repair. Test drive everything shifted smoothly. I don't know if I got tyranny hot enough and was not in driving situations where problems usually develop. I should know in the next few days if kit worked.

Thanks to all who have posted info about this fix. It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Brian66062; 07-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX