6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Should I install NWP block off plate first or......

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Should I install NWP block off plate first or......

I debating weather or not to install the NWP block off plate now or should I wait until I get my ypipe?

The only engine mod i have is a fujita CAI....

I want to amp up my high end but I am not too sure if just the block off plate + CAI will do the trick?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 AM

Thx for starting this thread man! I've been debating weather us automatics would actually feel any benefit from this mod or not.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:22 AM

im actually not starting a thread regarding potential gain. Max owners have already claimed high end torqe gain and low end loss....

Even a altima 3.5 owner i talked to last weeked said there is a noticable gain when adding the block off plate.

But everyone i talked to already had a custom exhaust installed when purchasing the block off plate.

Im just wonderig if i should wait and by a ypipe + exhaust then do the block off plate?

I really dont want to suffer any more in low end or cause a bottle neck of air in my manifold... you know what im saying bro?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 AM

personally the block off plate is worthless on a 6th gen

4th gen guys that swap a VQ cant use the VIAS because they dont have the option BUT

recently my buddy wired up his vafc to control when the VIAS opens on his 4th gen

On our 6th gen it fullys engage and disengage , taken it off YES you will see a increase on top end but now youve lack low end torque.

I have found a new way around this from my shop VIAS mod that doesnt eliminate it but does something differnt.

After we did the mod torque was back as well as little top end.

but this is your choice and everyone else to delete the vias
Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Y-pipe will definitely open it up but you already know that. Did you check out Krazy6's thread on his exhaust, it's almost like a Y-pipe delete mod

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
personally the block off plate is worthless on a 6th gen .........On our 6th gen it fullys engage and disengage , taken it off YES you will see a increase on top end but now youve lack low end torque...
Thanks for that info, I've opted NOT to do Vias block off. I don't need to lose any more low end either.

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
I have found a new way around this from my shop VIAS mod that doesnt eliminate it but does something differnt. After we did the mod torque was back as well as little top end.....
Care to share? You gonna offer this as a part or service?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Just in time. Well since i have most modded CVT maxi here ill speak. I got y block off plate installed before i got my y pipe installed. It does give u noticeable difference. The car responsce a little quicker. since there is no butterfly anymore the air goes right in faster and more efficient. The other good and best point is fuel mileage rises up. for example if i drive at speed limit which is 50 mph i get 35 mpg on a highway. when i went 80 i get 29.8 so thats some good mod to consider. As off a balance well the y pipe wil defently balance it out for sure. it will give u good mid to top end range power. Very nice i feel it. especially after 80 were our cars really lack damn the y pipe gives u that push )
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
I debating weather or not to install the NWP block off plate now or should I wait until I get my ypipe?

The only engine mod i have is a fujita CAI....

I want to amp up my high end but I am not too sure if just the block off plate + CAI will do the trick?
Do it, the upper rpms really feel the power boost.

Kamski
Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Plus from what i have read maybe im mistaken but if air mods , like intake spacers. are mostly for high end out put. Exhaust mods like headers y pipe are mostly for low end i think im not sure about that
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

ok cool... i will order the plate on monday.

a buddy of mine is hooking me up with a set of NWP intake spacers next week.

So my engine mods will be complete minus an Optima Red Top battery.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

yes, I would say do it. I had my block off plate installed when I only had a nismo intake and catback and the low end loss is not as pronounced as some tend to make it out to be. Not to mention, when you install the spacers you will re-gain some of the low-mid range loss that you will have from the vias delete.
I have a 5at btw....
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM

ok guys. i just ordered the VIAS plate... hope u guys are right... lol
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 PM

ok guys. i just ordered the VIAS plate... hope u guys are right... lol
Cool! Keep us updated man!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 PM

So 2LEET4U, have you installed the Via plate yet, and if so did you get a check engine light? How's the car feel? Do you notice a difference?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Y-pipe will definitely open it up but you already know that. Did you check out Krazy6's thread on his exhaust, it's almost like a Y-pipe delete mod
It still has a y-pipe, just not two different pieces. I probably make around 15-20 more whp with my 3" exhaust.

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Thanks for that info, I've opted NOT to do Vias block off. I don't need to lose any more low end either.
Might as well. If anything it helped me get out of the hole better. Top end gains too. I noticed the vias block off more than the spacers for sure.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM

nizmo1o - what did u do as the mod ur vias?

krazy6 - got a linK?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM

*****update*****

No engine lights or codes... YAh!

After having my VIAS plate installed. There is diffenately a noticable gain in top end. Especially when your engine is cooled.

you can feel the extra pull between 70-90....

I thought it was just due to reseting my ecu, but the pull is still there after 2 weeks.

As for losing low end, i dont notice it! With our CVT engines, it feels the same during launch. no difference.....

I am not too sure if that is due to our CVT engines and the steady acceleration at 0-20 but if the VIAS did effect my low end, i dont feel it...

So i recommend getting the NWP plate for all you CVT owners.

Last edited by 2LEET4U; 08-27-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

newb question...what exactly is the install process for the nwp plate..i just cant seem to understand...is it just a matter of putting it on and thats it or do other things need to be done for optimum gain / performance
Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 AM

Seriously considering ordering the NWP plate for Christmas. I haven't done a mod in a while and have been itching to do one. I currently have UDP pulley, headers, hi-flow cat, Y-pipe (all Cattman), Fujita intake, and Magnaflow mufflers.Will I lose any measurable low end if I get just the plat for now? I plant to do the spacers later; when the economy is better. lol Also, are auto 6th gens like mine more susceptible to low end loss versus 6.5 gens?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM

If you're worried about losing low end torque, I suggest getting the JET MAF sensor. It restored mine and the car feels so much faster now. With my free flow exhaust I felt like I had to basically floor it to go anywhere. Now though, it's back to basically stock low end and very strong pulling high end.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:57 PM

So 2LEET4U.. how much did the block off plate cost & any links for a deal on it? [pm if needed] If your looking for low end power..get the JET MAF SENSOR.. it really works.. & for those who stated the ECU reset would increase ..they're wrong!.. a friend of mine with a 07 did a ecu reset without the JET MAF n he said it was the same lag but our 6.5gens definitely pulls off with the MAF.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM

yo yo yo... thanks guys for the advices... I will be getting the JET MAF next month, along with the RC intake if it comes out... lol

As for my block off plate, i havent heard of any deals. I bought mine directly from NWP for $60.

I hate the lag when taking off.... i cant wait until i get the JET MAF.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Just ordered the $60 block plate and the JET Maf! A nice Christmas gift for myself. Can't wait to experience the gains. I know the block plate is going to come first, so I'll install them one at a time just to see how each mod works separately and then together.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 PM

I recently heard of this Jet MAF sensor...What are the gains?
I have the UDP, AEM CAI, Custom Exhaust Piping (No Resonator too), NWP Via Plate and Spacers. Car is like a rocket on the highway as it is. It suprises me sometimes more than the Boosted Civic drivers....at the track...One guy in a WRX blew his engine trying to keep up with me...black smoke all over the place....I think I saw him crying!

I've even heard of this electric supercharger that produces 2.5 PSI of boost and fits inside the CAI right after the filter....Anoying noise though...must have a cut-off switch...There are a few ECU plug-ins available for Maximas now...I wonder if their claims for HP increase are worthwhile or BS.

The car is a monster especially with 94 octane! The thing just moves...it's so fast off the line all the way to fifth gear.
I know the car is fast compared to before...but what is interesting too is the gas mileage gains....
At 60 mph or roughly 110 KPH I was averaging 36 MPG while on a week-end drive to the country in bad weather! Way better than the 29 I was barely getting at 55 before! The car has so much power that I barely touch the pedal when I'm moving down the faster streets. And the noise in tunnels when you floor it in 2nd or 3rd (2005 AT) is awesome. When I go around sharp or hair-pin corners now I can leave it in 2nd and it doesn't lose power going in to 3rd cause now it shifts up to 3rd at over 70 MPH or 110 KPH...before it would shift up at 80 KPH or 55. So now the 0 - 60 times and 1/4 mile are way better too. The car only shifts once to do the 0-60 when most of the other cars including Mustangs need 2! With the LSD the shift from 2 to 3 now sounds awesomel Like a sports car. It's a truly intoxicating experience for a gear-head like me. I get a kick out of hearing my car sound like that while looking like a sleeper! LOL!

Last edited by xorbitman; 12-23-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Just saw the dyno of stock vs. vias vs. ssim. Interesting. Looks like vias is the way to go if you want a little up top ..>3800rpm. Definately worth it. Remove internals, install plate...leave the rest alone. Looking to get mine soon...soon to come install my zex 75 shot..get nwp vias and phenolic spacers.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 AM

Jet MAF is a waste of $. Just a gimmick.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Jet MAF is a waste of $. Just a gimmick.
i disagree.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
i disagree.
It's the exact same shape as the stock MAF. In fact, chances are it's actually a rebadged OEM sensor... Hitachi.

The Titan forum guys have really been investigating this, and one of them even sent a unit to UpRev, who found no difference between a stock MAF and the Jet.

Last edited by Oolatec; 01-27-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM

My next mod is a RL Y- Pipe...(I live in Montreal and RL is from Ontario....Cattman is good too though. Just afraid of running lean though....
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

im actually not starting a thread regarding potential gain. Max owners have already claimed high end torqe gain and low end loss....

Even a altima 3.5 owner i talked to last weeked said there is a noticable gain when adding the block off plate.

But everyone i talked to already had a custom exhaust installed when purchasing the block off plate.

Im just wonderig if i should wait and by a ypipe + exhaust then do the block off plate?

I really dont want to suffer any more in low end or cause a bottle neck of air in my manifold... you know what im saying bro?

Just wondering, if you were to change to an SRI from a CAI would you still see a low end loss or not? because I would like an SRI + Headers before the NWP block off plate and as you said I dont want to bottle neck either.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i want a block plate do u just put it on?????
Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

im new to the maxima game so any help would be great. thanx
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maxin n relaxin
http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenol...cers.html#VIAS

You will need to remove your VIAS actuator and replace it with the block plate. If you click on the link above, you will find installation instructions for the NWP VIAS Block Plate Kit. Feel free to take a look at them and let me know if you have any more questions. You may either post here or send me an email at aaron@nwpengineering.com.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxin n relaxin

Yeah just check out instructions from NWP. Its even easier on 6th gen than my 5.5. (little more room to work) Just undo 3 bolts pull out vias, cover with block plate, plug a hole with included cap and your done.

Now feel the power. hahaha. just kidding but you will have more power above 4k
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned

W.T.F

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I recently heard of this Jet MAF sensor...What are the gains?
I have the UDP, AEM CAI, Custom Exhaust Piping (No Resonator too), NWP Via Plate and Spacers. Car is like a rocket on the highway as it is. It suprises me sometimes more than the Boosted Civic drivers....at the track...One guy in a WRX blew his engine trying to keep up with me...black smoke all over the place....I think I saw him crying!

I've even heard of this electric supercharger that produces 2.5 PSI of boost and fits inside the CAI right after the filter....Anoying noise though...must have a cut-off switch...There are a few ECU plug-ins available for Maximas now...I wonder if their claims for HP increase are worthwhile or BS.

The car is a monster especially with 94 octane! The thing just moves...it's so fast off the line all the way to fifth gear.
I know the car is fast compared to before...but what is interesting too is the gas mileage gains....
At 60 mph or roughly 110 KPH I was averaging 36 MPG while on a week-end drive to the country in bad weather! Way better than the 29 I was barely getting at 55 before! The car has so much power that I barely touch the pedal when I'm moving down the faster streets. And the noise in tunnels when you floor it in 2nd or 3rd (2005 AT) is awesome. When I go around sharp or hair-pin corners now I can leave it in 2nd and it doesn't lose power going in to 3rd cause now it shifts up to 3rd at over 70 MPH or 110 KPH...before it would shift up at 80 KPH or 55. So now the 0 - 60 times and 1/4 mile are way better too. The car only shifts once to do the 0-60 when most of the other cars including Mustangs need 2! With the LSD the shift from 2 to 3 now sounds awesomel Like a sports car. It's a truly intoxicating experience for a gear-head like me. I get a kick out of hearing my car sound like that while looking like a sleeper! LOL!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lulz
W.T.F
Double WTF.....
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM

?

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Double WTF.....
What do you mean WTF?

What are you? A hater?