6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Made a potentially big mistake

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 AM

Made a potentially big mistake

95% of the time I take my car in to get the oil changed. There is no liability on my part, and really it is not much more money to have someone else do it. I have changed the oil on many cars through the years and "know" how to do it, so when the local auto parts store had a GREAT deal on 5 quarts of Mobil1 and a Mobil1 filter, I thought I would save a few bucks.

The opportunity i had to do this was on Dad's Day and i did not even lift the car up, but performed it in a hurry on the ground. Everything was done and seemed fine. The next morning when I left to drive to work the oil light came on, and eventually the car shut itself down. In the middle of a one lane road with not much of a shoulder, I started it up and pulled off as soon as i could.

I check my oil only to find out that there is NONE left.

After a 75 dollar tow and a new oil change, i find out that the previous filter decided to leave its seal with the car and when i put on the new filter, it fit and there was no leak. When the oil pressure built up no more seal and out it went!

since then i have noticed a lag in acceleration between 2k-2.5k rpms. along with the lag, in lower gears there is a definite noise. Now i am not sure that anyone could diagnose it without tearing it down and looking into it, so i wont ask that, but rather your advice as to what to do going forward.

As of right now it seems to drive just fine (less the previously stated fact), so would you guys:

A: Trade it in before it gets worse (again hardly noticeable except to me or pointed out)
B: Get it fixed (assuming it is probably some sort of rebuild)
C: Look into getting a new motor and swapping (maybe a few mods along the way)
D: Drive it until it does not drive anymore (unsure how long that will be)

This is a very frustrating lesson to learn, and you better believe I will never change the oil again without looking for that seal!!!
Ugh!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM

This is why you should always start the car and run it for a bit after you change the oil while it is still just sitting there.
I guess I would try to trade it in (unless you feel bad about ripping off the dealer). No oil is really big deal even if it isnt for very long.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM

First off...how did you get under the car without lifting it up...that's got me perplexed!

Second, of all the things we went over in auto mechanics in HS, the two things I remember most...always be sure the seal comes off with the filter, and never take apart right and left on a drum break job at the same time...leave one assembled for reference. That said, I feel your pain. We've all done something we're not proud of at some point in our lives.

As far as what to do with the car...if you're ready for a replacement car anyway, tradin is your fastest, easiest way out of this mess. Just be sure you wash under the car really well with some engine degreaser, no sense leaving any clues to the appraiser at the dealership as to your dilemma...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM

Well first of all sorry to hear, Find out what its gonna cost to get it fixed? If thats cheaper then getting a new motor and swapping it out then go the fixing route. It might be cheaper to fix or engine swap then trade in cuz you will lose alot of money. I would say find the cheapest route see how much options a-c will cost you and take it from there.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM

I used to work in an oil change shop and have seen this happen before. Very often filter gaskets stay stuck on and you should always check. In addition, you should always run the car and check the oil level.

Do you hear anything unusual coming from the motor like a knocking?

Did you stop when the oil light came on or just kept driving?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear

Just a fluke man dont let it get you down. Personally id trade her in.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Wow, that was some quick advice. I figured I would get a little lesson/scolding, but i probably deserve it.

Keep in mind that I drive about 3000 miles a month, and need something i can rely on.

Tonight I am going to take a look at a few cars, i might take this opportunity to switch back to a manual transmission car. We will see how it goes!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Elite6
Do you hear anything unusual coming from the motor like a knocking?

Did you stop when the oil light came on or just kept driving?
I only hear something in the RPM range mentioned, and yes i drove with the light on, but less than a mile when the car stopped running.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Sorry about your problem. I have some propositons for you.

As always, you know the cause, so, hopefully it is not a great problem. Depending on how long you have had your car and if you have any loan attached to it before you think about trading it.

Men, if you have always maintained your ride "top-notch", then this is somtething to just fix. Who told you that the next car tyou buy would not have the same or worst problem? Just because the car you are looking at now looks clean and the engine has been cleaned until it sparkles and there is no leakage because they cleaned that too?
So, going for another used car, except you are going brand new, is a little gamble too.

My advice, find out if this is something that can be fixed easily. If yes, do that.

If you do not owe anything on your car and wanted a newer car, then it makes sense. But if you owe on ytour car and want to trade it in, I am sorry, you loose atleast 2 grand. Why? because the dealership has to detail it and put it in the market too again. So, they get it very cheap from you to sell it at a higher price or a little above bluebook value.

Fix that baby of yours! And be careful about DIY jobs.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Change the oil and check it, and see how much metal shavings come out, obviously this is more of a mental blow then anything cause who knows what real damage was done, the car shutting off was probably a fail safe mode, once oil pressure drops so low it's suppose to do that to prevent any engine damage, restarting it to pull off to the side of the road could not have added to any further damage, when it originally stalled you were probably doing 30+ mph, big difference in engine pressure.

As far as keeping an eye on the oil level, listening for anything and having another person drive behind you to see if your exhaust is now blue, you could even do a compression test, see how your rings are.

You mentioned you drive 3000 a month, so if anything is gonna pop up then you should notice it sooner then normal.

Good Luck, what happened sucks but it's not the end of the world
Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM

If I did that and noticed something wrong I would trade mine in knowing it's a 5speed POS tranny and the engine is jacked. No questions here time for a trade. I would find another max preferably a 6speed.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 PM

I "fixed" my problem and traded in on a 2005 G35 sedan with a 6spd. Black on Black. I can't believe how much I have missed a manual transmission.

The dealer I went to must have been severly eager to sell a car. They did not even drive my car as part of the evaluation for trade, and in my opinion I got a great deal!

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given. My loss but some gain for you guys is that I had just ordered a BUNCH of stuff for my car that was never used that I will have to sell. Some of which is still in transit... bummer how that works. I will start a post in the classifieds in a little bit, keep your eyes posted.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:04 PM
This Space for Rent

good luck with the G
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM

i can related -- i had a honda accord and i ended up blowing the engine-- rule of thumb ride around the block and check for leaks