6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman header install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cattman header install question

What type of wire did you guys use to extend the primary and secondary O2 sensors? They're working on it right now. I brought them some 12volt wire from a close by hardware store since it looked similar in size to o2 sensor wires. I also saw an 18 gauge wire but wasn't sure if it was the right one to get. From what they showed me, the o2 sensor that plug into the 3 to 1 collector need extensions to the socket in addition to the secondary ones that plug in right behind the cat. The tech said he would try to use some wire from old O2 sensor lying around if the wire I brought wasn't adequate. I wish my O2 simulator came in prior to this. I'm still waiting on the group deal.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:08 PM

don't extend the two front sensors. Just cut the tape around the wires up by the upper manifold. That should give you enough slack. As for the rear 4 wire sensors... Someone else can chime in with that. I assume you have a cat on your y-pipe? Good luck!
Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Sorry, my tech just did it. I don't know what kind he used.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks guys. I just called them and told them about the front sensors. They said they tried it, but it didn't get enough slack. I'm currently getting this done 70 miles away from home and staying with a friend. These are the best guys for the job in my opinion and have done work on my 95 maxima when I had her; hence my choice to go with them. They said they would pick me up when it's ready and I should stay in town till Monday so they can give the final ok after their inspection. They normally close early on Saturdays but are staying open later for me since I know them well. Thank God I decided to do this on my vacation. Haha
Old 06-13-2009, 03:28 PM

My tech had to extend mine..... It worked out fine.

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Okay soooo had my Maxima AFR lines extended and installed.

.....You are all right about extending the AFR wires for the sensors that plug into the 3 to 1 collector.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM

I did a whole write up on this with pics etc. I think its on the cattman header thread
Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Yep over here......... http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...duction-6.html
Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks guys. Just didn't know what type of wire was to be used. They're still working on it. I'll post what my impressions are when I get her back.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:14 PM

I can tell you right now, you will notice a significant increase in power and a different exhaust note too. You'll love it. Just dont get a speeding ticket.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I can tell you right now, you will notice a significant increase in power and a different exhaust note too. You'll love it. Just dont get a speeding ticket.
You're right! I love it! They ended up soldering extensions to all four sensors. The CEL came on and was still showing P0406 an EGR code. I had the EGR valve replaced but looks like I'll have the EGR temp sensor replaced too. Hopefully, that will solve the CEL. The shop will look at it on Monday. The horsepower increase and exhaust note are very welcome. I do notice a slight rattle on acceleration. It was there before the header install but seems slightly louder. Could this be a heat shield causing that noise? I'll see if they can remove it if it's not needed. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll search about the issue. Also, my P1283 A/F code disappeared.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 PM

Nice! Yeah, the EGR valve was a pain in the *** for the guy that put my headers in... hopefully your guys take care of the code.

Definitely have them check the heat shield. I don't have any down there anymore... and no rattles.

I was throwing a P1283 for awhile, even after I cleared it a few times... but it's gone now after clearing it again during the week. So who knows... lol

These headers definitely make the car fun again, don't they?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Nice! Yeah, the EGR valve was a pain in the *** for the guy that put my headers in... hopefully your guys take care of the code.

Definitely have them check the heat shield. I don't have any down there anymore... and no rattles.

I was throwing a P1283 for awhile, even after I cleared it a few times... but it's gone now after clearing it again during the week. So who knows... lol

These headers definitely make the car fun again, don't they?
Yes they do! I definitely need to follow Dues's advice on not getting speeding tickets.
Did your tech say what he did to get rid of the EGR code? I'm thinking the sensor might need to be replaced. I have cleaned it before with carb cleaner and it worked temporarily, so who knows.

Last edited by athlon omega; 06-14-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Congrats bro, and welcome aboard the Cattman Headers Club.
It's so hard for me to imagine not having them on the ride now.
It's been several months after me & my mechanic installed them
on in like a full day. With a few breaks here and there. I did get a
ticket thee other day"Damn it's been 8 years since I've been pulled
over for anything thing". It all worked out because I knew the motor
cycle cop from the gym. The performance/ sound is very intoxicating.
So be careful!!! I extended those two air fuel ratio sensors as well with
an extra set that I both awhile back. Worked out great for those two but
I haven't performed the actual extension on the longer ones that have to
go behind the small precat that I welded on. I think I will take out the small
precat and just go with a Dual o2 Sim instead. Just to cut down some of the
beefy sound. Then I will remove the small resonator that came with my
Cat back set-up and just add a larger one to tone it down as well.

Last edited by The Presence; 06-14-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Update. So I have the P1283 and P1274 codes in addition to the EGR temp sensor code. The tech said the extended connections are fine since the reader they used would indicate an electrical issue. The reader notes that the sensors are detecing more air going through the system and thus is running lean. I'm not sure if the ECU can adapt on its own. I'm hoping the O2 sims work. I ordered the EGR temp sensor from courtesyparts.com, so I'll put that on myself when it comes in. The funny thing is that the O2 sensor code didn't immediately come on after install but must have been after the initial 30 miles of test driving. Of note, they did find that a small air leak was causing the crackling sound. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 PM

If you are running lean, then you want to try to fix that. Lean = running hot. Putting a simulator in there only clears the code but you probaly want a chip flash or SAFCII or something that can get you more fuel.

My CEL so far have been because I'm running to rich. I have to back it off a little more. So what are they going to do with the air leak?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
If you are running lean, then you want to try to fix that. Lean = running hot. Putting a simulator in there only clears the code but you probaly want a chip flash or SAFCII or something that can get you more fuel.

My CEL so far have been because I'm running to rich. I have to back it off a little more. So what are they going to do with the air leak?
They fixed the air leak. I'll ask her more tomorrow about it whether I heard correct about running lean. She said something about the car running faster since it was dumping more fuel which leads me to believe that would be running rich. I clarify it with her tomorrow. She owns the shop and her brother is the master tech. I also thought of the chip flash that you mentioned. An SAFCII would probably be better for me if it came to that. Or even Bullydog which is all the rave in the 7th gen forums now.