6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I want leather seats.. katzkin or leatherseats.com??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM

I want leather seats.. katzkin or leatherseats.com??

From what I can tell Katzkin's about 100 bucks cheaper for my car, However it looks like only leatherseats.com offers massage units for 99 dollars per seat.

Anyone have experience with either company?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rock_drummer
From what I can tell Katzkin's about 100 bucks cheaper for my car, However it looks like only leatherseats.com offers massage units for 99 dollars per seat.

Anyone have experience with either company?
I went to Katskins booth at SEMA and they seemed like they had high quality products.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Did you see anything about them having massage units as well? I guess I could even just buy them from leatherseats.com and put them under the seats. If I'm spending 700 bucks on leather seats, whats 99 more for a massage unit, right? Unless they are lame, in which case its not that important. Katzkins it is then, thanks!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM

I just got front seat covers from leatherseats.com and there very high quality. I opted for the Leatherette material which is just like leather but more durable. I went with a black/ charcoal scheme and it looks terriffic! I would post pics but my camera is acting up, might buy a new one tomorrow. The fronts ran me $340 ~.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by slvrmax7
I just got front seat covers from leatherseats.com and there very high quality. I opted for the Leatherette material which is just like leather but more durable. I went with a black/ charcoal scheme and it looks terriffic! I would post pics but my camera is acting up, might buy a new one tomorrow. The fronts ran me $340 ~.
Did you put them on yourself? Did they just slip on?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Yea they slip on and fit very snug. Much better than the crappy $40 covers obviously.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Nice. With the katzkins it looks like you actually have to take them to a professional if you want them to look good. I think a professional takes the seats out and glues them on and does whatever neccesary to make them look as good as possible. Thats probably the route I'll go if its not more than 1 or 2 hundred bucks to install. I'm getting a full leather kit too so I dont have any idea how the back seat leather goes on.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM

ive heard very very good things about katzkinz. from what i remember they are actual seat cover replacements.so you have to take the seat apart, snap certain areas in, and then the rest you have to use the hog rings.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I imagine you can get a massager in your seat if you put it under the cover. I know you can buy aftermarket seat heaters. I replaced my seats with leather Recaros, so if I ever redid the the leather, id get a seat heater and hook it up to my seat heater control of my car.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I imagine you can get a massager in your seat if you put it under the cover. I know you can buy aftermarket seat heaters. I replaced my seats with leather Recaros, so if I ever redid the the leather, id get a seat heater and hook it up to my seat heater control of my car.

Yeah you do put it under the cover. I'd get heated seats as well if they could both be put in together. How much do you think someone would charge to install everything?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM

every seat?

i dont see that being under $1000.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 PM

ive done aftermarket heaters in my old galant before...its easy i'm sure massager is the same way
Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Ugh, God, ok, time to clear this up:

(1) Leatherseats has superior quality to katskinz that can only be seen if you've dealt with both companies. The seams are made of incredibly thick material with more precise stitch points then that of their competitor. The plastic velcro sections are without equal and mesh right up to the OE fastener points.

(2) slvrmax7 - to the best of my knowledge, I have NEVER known leatherseats.com to sell leather slip-on covers. Please show me the link because, at this point in time, I am forced to believe you're providing bogus information here...and riding around with seat covers improperly installed.

(3) Rockdrummer - glue is not used, even in the OEM seating. Removal involves removing all seats and cutting off all hog rings with a tin snip. Installation is just a matter of pulling, tugging, and use of hog rings. It's not an incredibly hard task, I did my own with absolutely nothing more than ambition. A pro will charge you $400, total install time will be about 8 to 10 hours, assuming you're a crazy perfectionist like myself. GL.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima

Rockdrummer - glue is not used, even in the OEM seating. Removal involves removing all seats and cutting off all hog rings with a tin snip. Installation is just a matter of pulling, tugging, and use of hog rings. It's not an incredibly hard task, I did my own with absolutely nothing more than ambition. A pro will charge you $400, total install time will be about 8 to 10 hours, assuming you're a crazy perfectionist like myself. GL.

If you go to https://www.leatherseats.com/section.asp and look at the Installation Tools towards the bottom, the first thing you see in the picture is spray adhesive-thats the only reason im asking.

And do you thing a regular person could install everything including the backseat with a full weekend of time and work?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM

I bought my 00SE with cloth, I searched on ebay for a bit and found a coplete set of seats and door panels for 500$. Do you guys think that the quality of those kits are better than factory seats?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM

well you have the option of choosing WHATEVER you could possibly want. Im getting black leather with red suede-and you choose EXACTLY how you want it too. I've seen pictures of people who've gotten leats from katzkin and leatherseats.com and both looked outstanding when done right. I'd say its definitely the same quality if not better than original.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Drummer - for the Max you will not need spray glue. I don't know if you can do it in a weekend...I did, and I had 2 left thumbs, so to speak, when I began this endeavor. There is no reason in the world you cannot do the job peicemeal, so set your weekend aside, start with the passenger seat, and gauge your progress/ability from there. For the 2001 Max, the rear bench was the hardest, so don't start there like I did or else you'll get frustrated verrrrry quickly. DO NOT SKIMP ON QUALITY HOG RING PLIERS, I REPEAT, DO NOT SKIMP ON QUALITY HOGRING PLIERS!!!!!

Bakermax - you get what you pay for, end of story.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 PM

Sweet, well thanks man-I appreciate it. I guess I'm going with Leatherseats.com. I'll let you guys know how it goes in a couple weeks.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:09 AM

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...ior_199018.htm
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
Wow that was a great video. I think I'll be able to do that myself. Just not sure about putting a massage unit into a seat that has no power to it yet.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
Wow that was a great video. I think I'll be able to do that myself. Just not sure about putting a massage unit into a seat that has no power to it yet.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Bakermax - you get what you pay for, end of story.[/quote]

They were OEM, from a GLE model, which was good enough for me.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Custom Leather Interiors/ Seat Covers

Hi:
A couple of years ago, I used the guys in Los Angeles: www.BestLeatherKits.com and they did a great job on my car.
With piping, perforation and logos, their price was $330 less, then Katskins.
Their installer did the whole thing in less then 3 hours and it came out better then factory.
I think, if you use any of the top manufacturer like: Classic, Katskins, BestLeatherKits ...and a good installer, you will get a great a great interior.

Just stay away from the China kits importers and the covers, that go over the existing upholstery.