6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sunroof - intermittently operational, then died

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 AM

Sunroof - intermittently operational, then died

For a while when I used the shift lever to open the sunroof, I had to move it back and forth a couple of times before it had any effect (opening or closing the sunroof).

This morning however, the lever doesn't do anything anymore.

The sunroof pop-up still works (where the back of the sunroof lifts up).

So I am wondering if this is just a switch problem in the lever, and not an actual motor/actuator issue since I can pop up the back edge of the sunroof.

Does anyone have an idea?

(O4 Max with 82K miles)
Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 AM

have you tried resetting it? if im not mistaken press the down function for a few secs and it should reset it..check the manual and it will tell u how..hope that helps out
Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
have you tried resetting it? if im not mistaken press the down function for a few secs and it should reset it..check the manual and it will tell u how..hope that helps out
Ha, I did not know it was reset-able.

I'll try that one out and I'll report back.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

it has happen to me a few times also and worked rite after
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Yup, that did the job for me!

Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
GrandPa

Great someone here always has a answer.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiBlackMax
i've actually had this problem also where only the rear up and down would work and i would have to continuously shift the lever up and down then it might just move a little then after a few more times it would move. it corrected itself but just incase it happens again...

What do you mean "press the down function for a few secs"?? you mean the other button that lifts the rear part of the sunroof up?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
i've actually had this problem also where only the rear up and down would work and i would have to continuously shift the lever up and down then it might just move a little then after a few more times it would move. it corrected itself but just incase it happens again...

What do you mean "press the down function for a few secs"?? you mean the other button that lifts the rear part of the sunroof up?
You hold down the tilt button continuously for more than two seconds in the "down" position. It states in the manual that doing that will reset the sunroof.

We had an issue with this today (while it was raining, awesome) and we accidentally reset it while it was not in the correct position. The sunroof looked it like it was sunken in. Since we reset it while it was in that position, it kept going back like that every time we open and closed it. Eventually we figured out the wind deflector was not going down properly and I think we fixed it.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ms.Maxima™
You hold down the tilt button continuously for more than two seconds in the "down" position. It states in the manual that doing that will reset the sunroof.

We had an issue with this today (while it was raining, awesome) and we accidentally reset it while it was not in the correct position. The sunroof looked it like it was sunken in. Since we reset it while it was in that position, it kept going back like that every time we open and closed it. Eventually we figured out the wind deflector was not going down properly and I think we fixed it.

cool thanks for the info. i have to remember that if it happens next time.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM

sunroof reset

Yep we have all seemed to have had the sunroof issue, Unless on skyview model.I had it happen on mine it scared me but I knew if it still went up and down it wasnt totally screwed. I found the fix in the service manual download. But in there it says for this issue to happen it has had the path obstructed or a power failure. Sure enuff I had upgraded to yellow top battery days before noticing sunroof. I had auto zone boys hook up the power charger to my cigg lighter to keep from loosing any memory,buy it obviously dont help the memory of sunroof. All that CAN communications stuff these cars have to reduce wiring is why . The sunroof,headlights,taillights, essentialy everything is powered thru this system,so if ya break a signal I guess It has to be reprogrammed.