6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Air Ride Vs. Coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Air Ride Vs. Coilovers...

sup guys.. got a 08 maxima here & have been doing a lot of research on this topic. UNFADEABLE MAX feel free to chime in... what are your opinions on air ride vs coilovers. I currently am running ksport coilovers in Queens, NY. they ride pretty nice to me & i got no prob. with them but ive been thinking about getting some air ride in there so i could raise & lower the car any time i want without removing the tires and all of that. Im going for all show... also another reason why ive been thinking about this is due to the fact that they are working on the front lip for my car & as a result if i add it to my car as it is right now it'll be pretty dangerous driving around the area.. i'd have probably 5" of clearance on roads & pretty much an impossible chance of getting up driveways/parking lots/etc.. so what do yall think... shall i stick with the coilovers or go with air ride... any cons with air ride.. hows the ride compared to coilovers... softer or harder/stiffer ride? bouncy or not? price? all feedback welcomed.. thankss
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM

well. to me, with your statement of 'all show' id bag it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ddelaud
well. to me, with your statement of 'all show' id bag it in a heartbeat.
what he said.........
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup for sure. If you are going strictly for show I could say bag it....then post pics lol
Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 PM

bag it. They are much better quality than they used to be and handle pretty much all types of weather next to freezing. So not too sure bout New York. Not sure if the material will freeze and crack causing leaks. That would be my biggest concern. Also want to make sure you have enough space for the bottle and compressor. If you have a spare tire and two twelves in your truck forget it unless you want to get rid of the back seat. I they can withstand below freezing temps and you have room then bag it for sure. If not you can get self adjusting coilovers. I am not sure if there is any other company besides Tein that makes the kit but worth looking into as well. Post up some before after pics and pros cons for those of us who are concidering this as well. thanx
Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 AM

BAG IT!!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:02 PM
*moderator*

All show=Bags FTW.

And regarding your first post, 5" clearance could get you in trouble out there for sure! I have 5.5" in clearance on coils now and have run into some spots where I end up scraping. But a lot of it is just learning how to drive your car up driveways etc. I have to 3 point turn out of my driveway everyday, my neighbors thing I'm nuts!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM

commenting on the the post about not having enough space for the tank and compressor

they make flat tanks that fit into spare tire areas. granted you loose your spare, but hey you're bagging the car so. whats loosing some practicality. lol
Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 PM

thanks 4 the feedback everyone.. i just gotta save some $$ up & get the air!! i think it would be hottt.. im not worried abt loosing my spare as right now its pretty hard to get to it due to my 2 12"s in the trunk. ill keep you guys posted & also gotta make a thread with all my latest mods... coilovers & what not
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Former Vendor

i'm a huge fan of air, but have recently been favoring coilovers. if you can drive as low as you want with coilovers i'd say stick with them.

air adds a whole seperate group of components than can, and eventually will given an infinite amount of time, go bad. compressors burn out, lines leak, bags can blow, etc. of course all of this is llargly dependant on the quality of the parts/install but sooner or later there will be an issue.

on the other hand air is cool. if you use quality parts, have a well done install, and expect potential problems there's definitely the cool factor.

the only 2 products i'd really recommend are uas, which can probably be run with your current coilovers, and air runner, which does not have a maxima application but does have an altima app that shares the same suspension. uas is a system designed for use with oem/oem replacment components. price, choice of features, and universalness (word?) are the major selling points. air runner is a bolt in (minor mods for some apps) shock/bag setup that is considerably more expensive, less featured, but top-of-the-line quality.

there's a couple other options, but nothing worth mentioning.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM

I had a custom air setup on my 93 altima. I started with customized cylinders tht was a hugedrop. The car overall ended up having about a 5"drop total tuckin 19's. The ride sucked with the cylinders. Eventually one blew and I couldn't repace it due to the fat that it wasn't made anymore. I went with a full strut bag setup and it was nice. The bags were a hell of alot nicer riding than the cylinders. Though the drop was only about 3", it was alot nicer. Living in the North East was challenging. If your goin for all show then go for the air, if your using it as a daily driver, I may rethink it. Remember, with air comes alot more components and maintenance. Ultimately I got rid of my setup because it was just a pain with everything....was it cool to hit switches and get the attention? hell yea.....but overall as a daily driver the coilovers I went with were the way to go. Good luck
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 AM

if your going all show then bag it bag it bag it !!!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 AM

BAG IT & when you do, be sure to take pics, complete a full write up, etc because I'll be right behind you with putting it on the ground. GOOD LUCK