6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Clutch pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Clutch pressure issues

I read the "mystery clutch" thread some time ago, but am not sure if it addreses my issue:

For the year or so that I've had my Maxima, it will occasionally lose pressure in the clutch. I can still operate it, but I lose about 2/3rds of the play in the pedal.

If I wait a while or pump it about 10 times, it usually starts working fine. The issue occurs mainly during hot weather.

Yesterday I completely lost all pressure in the pedal. I pulled over and waited about ten minutes. I got a LITTLE bit of pressure back......but not nearly enough to drive it. I called a tow truck.

Of course while I was waiting, the pedal regained full pressure. I went ahead and had it towed to the shop.

Shop called today - full pressure still. There are no leaks anywhere in the clutch system. They had originally suspected that the slave cylinder would be leaking.

So......only thing they can guess is that the fluid is going past the piston in the M/C. I COULD replace it......but who knows if I really need to.

Any ideas? I thought there was a Nissan tech or two on this forum. Have you guys ever ran into this?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 PM

I always prefer Autos
Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Rich96
I read the "mystery clutch" thread some time ago, but am not sure if it addreses my issue:

For the year or so that I've had my Maxima, it will occasionally lose pressure in the clutch. I can still operate it, but I lose about 2/3rds of the play in the pedal.

If I wait a while or pump it about 10 times, it usually starts working fine. The issue occurs mainly during hot weather.

Yesterday I completely lost all pressure in the pedal. I pulled over and waited about ten minutes. I got a LITTLE bit of pressure back......but not nearly enough to drive it. I called a tow truck.

Of course while I was waiting, the pedal regained full pressure. I went ahead and had it towed to the shop.

Shop called today - full pressure still. There are no leaks anywhere in the clutch system. They had originally suspected that the slave cylinder would be leaking.

So......only thing they can guess is that the fluid is going past the piston in the M/C. I COULD replace it......but who knows if I really need to.

Any ideas? I thought there was a Nissan tech or two on this forum. Have you guys ever ran into this?
I have an 04 six speed and it happen to me twice in hot weather while stuck intraffic. Change your clutch fluid. Use a high performance clutch fluid with a higher boiling temp. What is happening is the stock clutch fluid is boiling and you lose clutch pressure. You have a 04 six speed has the clutch fluid ever been changed? The clutch fluid for our cars is DOT 3 brake fluid. Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. After I changed my clutch fluid the problem went away. I also changed my brake fluid for my brakes that made a big difference also.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:01 PM

First off let me say thanks to you Rich96 cause Ive had the same problem happened to me a few times now that I remember correctly. And it happened just as you say, I lost pressure where the clutch would go all the way to the floor. I assumed my clutch was on its way out, so I went and purchased another but was reluctant to install it cause it would go back to normal within 10-15 min. Ive noticed that the clutch fluid level was a little low a few times so I added to it but have never changed it. I PM a guy earlier this week about it and he said to do the same thing. Waiting to get it done this week as a matter of fact!