6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Diesel Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sarara
Exactly the same words I had (and probably the same reactions and expresions even though I did not see at your end) when I went in to have them check my engine noise.

Are Nissan provides training to the dealers and/or so called senior technicians for how to deny warranty repairs? and let customer come back after warranty expired and charge them arms & legs?

Hey thanks for the update budd.
Now you can see how I felt when I was knocked out with saying "no noise there....are you nuts?.....fark off....but wait and gimme my $90 for your visit"
There is more: This particular dealership I have been "dealing" with is going out of business in less than a week from now. So they told me that even if they wanted to do something about, that they couldn't. Now I have to go to another dealership which probably are going to become overloaded with work. It just doesn't look good for anyone.

Yeah it has crossed my mind - they see I only have 5 months left on my extended warrenty, so they just push me arround for 5 months...

It's hard times for anyone, and especially in the car industry - don't expect any breaks from them - expect the worse.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I think you have a few minor issues with that engine.
First I'd remove the drive belts and start the car. I bet quite a bit of that noise is a bad bearing on a belt driven component. It should be much quieter and will help you isolate engine mechanic sounds much better.
Second, I do think your valve trane is a bit loud, but it's hard to say with the quality of the sound clip you have on U-Tube.

Remove the belts, record the engine nosie and post it for us to hear.
I think you'll be suprised on how much it changes.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 AM

Hey galto check your PM
Old 03-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Hey njmaxseltd,

Sorry to break this news to you but when things gets to the engine then I am the dumb or dumbest one. But I am pretty sharp if I get guidance for some DIY stuff. Can you please reply how many belts and how can I remove them? or I can have local mechanic to do that just to get a sound clip. I kind of thought my pulleys might be making some noise but I am still not sure about that.

Also if my valve trane is a bit loud, how that can get fixed and how much I would expect to pay? dealer or local mechanic?

I appreciate for your reply.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My 4th gen has 2 drive belts, I'm not 100% sure how many are on the 6th gen. My guess would be 2 as well. Look at the pullys, count the belts turning them.
Your local mechanic might be able to help you out. Removing the belts is fairly easy, but you need the right tools.

Lets hear what the car sounds like after the belts are taken off before we look at the valve trane.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
My 4th gen has 2 drive belts, I'm not 100% sure how many are on the 6th gen. My guess would be 2 as well. Look at the pullys, count the belts turning them.
Your local mechanic might be able to help you out. Removing the belts is fairly easy, but you need the right tools.

Lets hear what the car sounds like after the belts are taken off before we look at the valve trane.
Will do as soon as this week-end hits.

At idle with 700 RPMs my car makes that diesel type noise (gid..gid..gid..gid) with the speed of lets say 5Hz to 7Hz. If I apply gas then this noise frequency increases with RPMs. I can even feel that on my steering wheel.

When I drive my car then I can also hear this noise and it synchronize with the RPMs or speeds. Sometime it's hard to notice this noise as it gets buried with all other road noises at the speed 40 pmh or above. BUT I can feel this noise (gid..gid..gid..gid) on my steering wheel even up to 70 mph.

Many times when I park my car for an hour or so and then if I start my engine, this noise (gid..gid..gid..gid) gets very loud that it can be heard even on the back seat. Then after driving for about a mile or more it usually disappears.

I can also feel vibration on my steering wheels at idle speed. I also feel like I have lost some power in my car.

I feel like I am driving a shiatt man.

Does the timing chain/tensioners makes this kind of noise with certain frequency at idle and increases with RPMs? I though it should be a constant noise or whistle noise as timing chain slides over tensioners contineously. I don't know may be this is my guess.

Last edited by Sarara; 03-25-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Hey Sarara which, Nissan dealership did you got to? I'm from Boston too....
Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PeaMAX
Hey Sarara which, Nissan dealership did you got to? I'm from Boston too....
Actually I moved to Boston and I am still new around here, my previous repair was not done in Boston.

But you can definitely help me to locate a good and honest (am I kidding??) dealer for some good repair work and no bull ****t. Even if some local foreign auto repair shop will be helpful.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Pullys looks great and no noise reported.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 AM

I don't have that sound in my car, but wife's santa fe did. I just ran seafoam treatment through the gas, crankcase, and vacuum lines and it seemed to clear things up a bit. I would do the treatment and take it on the interstate for a good ride, then come back change the oil to a good synthetic and see if it sounds better.

Her Santa Fe was literally that bad too and it is much better now and I haven't even changed the oil yet.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaxEx
I don't have that sound in my car, but wife's santa fe did. I just ran seafoam treatment through the gas, crankcase, and vacuum lines and it seemed to clear things up a bit. I would do the treatment and take it on the interstate for a good ride, then come back change the oil to a good synthetic and see if it sounds better.

Her Santa Fe was literally that bad too and it is much better now and I haven't even changed the oil yet.
Just scare to do that, what if seafoam blow away gaskets thats holding up as sealed due to some dirts inside engine.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sarara
Just scare to do that, what if seafoam blow away gaskets thats holding up as sealed due to some dirts inside engine.
I think you are running out of inexpensive options. Seriously, could it really make it worse? You have nothing to lose.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by MaxEx
I think you are running out of inexpensive options. Seriously, could it really make it worse? You have nothing to lose.
You are absolutely right.

Unfortunately I just replaced my engine oil like 250 miles ago considering it might help but it did not. I now have to wait little more to try seafoam when I drive about 3000 miles.

Last edited by Sarara; 04-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Just one quick update.

I went to one independent reputable shop and the guy I spoke with said this noise is absolutely normal. (Mind you but my video recording through camera was damn sensitive picking the hell all noise out of my car. Noise is not that bad as it sound except tick tick tick tick noise all the time.)

I asked him what about this when sometime I hear very loud tickling noise but goes away after driving few miles? He said it could be a sticking lifters noise and it wont hurt to try oil additive to quiet lifters. He said its more likely not a timing chain noise.

So I looked around oil additives (sorry but no kerosene based engine cleaners additive) and found rislone engine treatment is the one can be kept in oil for long time until next oil change. Also it may require pouring rislone few times to quiet lifter noise.

I will report back when I am done with this experiment.

Please let me know if someone know any better product then rislone engine treatment that can be run for longer period of time that gradually cleans engine and lifter holes. I am not very interested in Mystery Motor Oil or sea foam or similar instant cleaners that may reduce viscosity of my 5W-30 synthetic oil.

I just hope this topic may help someone to cure this type of damn doodly doo noises.

Last edited by Sarara; 03-31-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:16 AM

Added Rislone engine treatment yesterday and the results are may be not confirmed yet but it definitely stopped loud tapping noise 4 times out of 5 times when I started my engine after parking for an hour or more. Rislone engine treatment works slowly and it should be a gradual improvement unlike instant effects so i will have to drive some miles to see how it goes. Ticking noise at idle is still there but my car runs damn good regardless except little rough idle. May be just noisy injectors if not lifters? I dont know and I have to wait to see if rislone cure this noise.

So this morning I seafomed my car through vacuum and gas tank (but not in to oil due to I have rislone added already) as today was the perfect timing (it was windy around so.....yesh you guessed it as all smoke gone with the wind quick.) My car did put out some smoke for about 2 minutes and engine service light blinked for about 30 seconds and yes it did improve my idle hesitation. Before I used to have around 700 rpms at idle and it was like little shaky and crappy vibration on steering wheel. Now rpm stays around 800 but no more vibration and car responded pretty good. I drove around 20 miles after seafoam treatment and I felt my car responded very good while applying gas. (no this was not a mental effect of seafoam in my brain, it did help rough idle and throttle response.)

I will drive around thousand mile or so with rislone engine treatment (as it claimed to be a gradual improvement stuff) and let you know how things are going. If I do not see any results then I may try seafom in oil (rislone claimed to be ok to use with other additive) and change my engine oil to see how it goes.

Edit: Special thanks to chernmax showing video about how to treat 6th gen maxima using seafoam.

Last edited by Sarara; 04-05-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow, you have been hard at it trying to your baby running smooth. I still gotta disagree with anyone who says that is normal, but at least it seems like you are making some progress in getting it remedied. Nice work
Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Wow, you have been hard at it trying to your baby running smooth. I still gotta disagree with anyone who says that is normal, but at least it seems like you are making some progress in getting it remedied. Nice work
I found that many maxima owners suffers with the same kind of noises like I have (had) right now. I just started inexpensive way to see if I can get rid off these noises. At least nothing to loose like some other members said above. If I get to the point where I think my engine is running quieter and smoother, it may help at least some maxima owners to try out without spending fortune. I believe I am folllowing very simple steps right now but definitely seafoam removed that vibration crap at idle in my car. I am not a mechanic by any means neither I am the sharpest knife in the closet but hey thats why maxima.org is for to give and take all advises. I hope moderator do not mind seeing me eating up some bandwidth on this forum
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 AM

As you may recall, I am suffering from startup rattling after my 04 max has been sitting still for a while. I got back from some travels, so my Maxima stood still for almost two weeks. I followed Sarara's example, and I had my engine filmed while I started it and posted it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05yBc...e=channel_page

(or just search youtube for "2004 Nissan Maxima Starting Noise" by ConsumerAria51 )

You can clearly hear the noise a fraction of a second after I turn over the starting key, for a second or two (at about 12 seconds into the video). The last 10 seconds the engine idle's normally, and subsequent starts don't have this noise "feature" anymore, unless I let the car stand for a week or more.

Last edited by Galto2000; 04-12-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Matter of fact I just came back from seafoam treatment in crankcase, just like many maxima owners. I had rislone engine treatment running from about a week with some benefits but not a day and night difference (of course rislone wont work in a week, its a longer gradual process.) So this morning I poured 1/3 seafoam in crankcase and ran my car for 50 miles. After that I changed my oil with mobil1 synthetic and m1-110 filter. To be honest, the noise is still there (diesel kind of noise at idle but fades away right after RPM goes above 1K to 1.2k.) but my car is running little better. At stop light if I step away from brake then car pulls forward (little improvement than before) and running like cheese on highway (during changing lanes and overtaking slower traffic.) I think the way its running I don't give a crap on idle noise anymore...LMAO. But I will have to see if it continue running like this and also what I get during cold start.

Next target within month or so = New Spark Plugs