6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Driver Side Door Request Switch Asleep?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Driver Side Door Request Switch Asleep?

I'm stumped on this, hoping you guys can help me out.

I have a bone stock 2007 Maxima SE, just under 20k miles. Starting today, I've noticed a problem with the driver's side door request switch (the button on the handle to unlock the door). When I first walk up to the car and press the button, nothing will happen. I can press it 100 times, nothing happens. Passenger side request switch works great. Trunk request switch works great. Once I hit either of those, THEN the driver's side button works fine. If I hit Lock or Unlock on the keyfob first, that works, and then the driver's side request switch works fine again. But something's happened where that switch is "asleep" until something else is triggered first. This behavior also applies when I'm driving, park the car and attempt to lock it with the switch.

A weird side observation: Let's say I walk up and hit the button -- nothing happens. I hit the keyfob Lock button, the car locks and honks, THEN it beeps and unlocks -- like the button received the request to unlock but got stuck somewhere...then once I hit the keyfob, everything cleared up and it carried out the request to unlock.

I've dug through the manual, didn't find anything that could point to a solution. Power is obviously coming to the switch and the door. Could it be something like low battery voltage? Battery's not low on the keyfob (no warning when I start up the car and I can lock/unlock from 50 feet away). Something tells me voltage or a circuit board, but it could be very expensive to find out and it's not broken, just...ornery. I did find this online, but it sounds like the guy didn't try to troubleshoot like I did:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...handle-request

Any suggestions folks? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 PM

The electronics inside the handle is faulty. I had this happen to my 07 Maxima. The dealer replaced it under warranty.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 PM

Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM

get it fixed by Nissan. it should be free.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 AM

This JUST happened on my 07 SL. 17k miles. It worked fine Friday and on Saturday didn't work. Passenger door and trunk work fine. Key fob is locking/unlocking/locking when either lock or unlock buttons are pressed. I just had the oil changed at the dealer on Friday and had no issues until Saturday afternoon. Would disconnecting the cars battery reset it?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 AM

Just made another appt for Wednesday to get this fixed. I would really like a day off without driving to the dealer for something.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by listo
Just made another appt for Wednesday to get this fixed. I would really like a day off without driving to the dealer for something.
Ha welcome to the org and get used to it. It's all part of owning a max.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 PM

I have the same problem but only after a steady rain. The dlr wouldn't replace the push button assembly since they couldn't duplicate.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Does it go away? It rained here all weekend, but it's not like the first time it's rained for a few days straight. Hopefully it's still doing it on Wednesday so the dealer can fix it. Really doesn't make much sense that the passenger door works fine though. What is really strange is the key fob lock/unlock/lock/unlock action though. I have to time getting in now.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 AM

When it rains and I am in and out of the car several times, the drivers button stops working. Its almost like the rubber over the button is letting some moisture in an it is causing an open circuit or grounding issues. The passenger side still works fine... The driver door corrects itself after it "dries" out.

Another thing I have found is that if you don't press and let go immediately it is kinda slow to react. Almost like you have to touch release and wait 1/2 second before the relay unlocks the door. I had the hardest time trying to learn the correct timing. I would press and hold the button and nothing would happen, then hit the button on the keyfob and nothing would happen, almost like I confused the unlock relay and it didn't know what to do. Now I just press and release the button and wait for the click, then press again for the other locks and it works great.

It sounds like your relay is bad if it is autolocking your doors on you. Good luck at the dlr.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Go Figure. I goto leave this morning to bring the car to the dealer and the damn thing is working perfectly now. The key fob and button are acting as they should. I canceled my appt as I didn't feeling loosing 3 hours of my day for them to not be able to recreate the issue was worth it. I'll wait and see if it happens again. It must have been the rain getting something wet. Maybe I won't use the button when it rains. Who knows.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2007 Maxima. Same problem with me: 1.Yesterday I took it to the dealer to get the oil and oil filter changed and wash the car. They did. Immediately the passenger side door lock button does not work.

2. I took it back today. They say the handle is bad and it will cost over 300 dollars to replace it. I believe it is the switch, but they will still probably have to take the door apart. Typical new cars. So the labor is a killer in either case.

As I believe THEY did this; and apparently from reading the posts, their "washer" forced some water IN side that lock and either temporarily the problem is there or it is permanent. The car has 18K miles on it.

I am needless to say unhappy about this.

Last edited by patdee; 07-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.