6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My engine has to be replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My engine has to be replaced!

This blows! I had Bern reporting how I had been having increased oil consumption and now a leak with my maxima. I had the timing chain tensioners replaced. I currently have problems with my precat and was going to order the cattman headers. Took my car for a compression test today and it failed horribly. 120 psi on 4 banks and 80 and 90 psi on bank 4 and 6. The standard is 185 psi and 142 is the minimum. They did say my pol leak is due to the oil pressure switch. Getting that fixed now. Guess I have to buy a low mileage engine. A rebuilt one is $3k. Labor is about $1k. I'll have to get the cattman headers too as it would be the best time to install them. So much for saving up for a place.

Last edited by athlon omega; 03-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is pol consumption? Never heard that one or seen it in that context.

Have you noticed a loss of power? Any white smoke out of the tailpipe?
Doesn't sound like a total engine replacement is in order from what you have said. Could just be a head gasket and machining.

Low comp test does not point to engine replacement, IMHO. I would go to the parts store (AUtozone if you have one) and rent a compression tester and test it yourself.

Last edited by bcampbe7; 03-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by bcampbe7
Forgive my ignorance, but what is pol consumption? Never heard that one or seen it in that context.

Have you noticed a loss of power? Any white smoke out of the tailpipe?
Doesn't sound like a total engine replacement is in order from what you have said. Could just be a head gasket and machining.

Low comp test does not point to engine replacement, IMHO. I would go to the parts store (AUtozone if you have one) and rent a compression tester and test it yourself.
I agree with this, the fact that you had to get a shop tell you that you need a new engine sounds like they are out to get some money from you. I would indeed get a second opinion on this. Additionally, VQ engines are considered bulletproof engines. Yes, some will fail however they are not prone to it.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Excuse my expression but,

$3000 for a rebuilt 6th Gen VQ35 engine????????

Helllll no!

I got a buddy that paid $800 for a VQ35 with 70k miles and I know you can do better on the mileage than that!

Shop around!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Incognito

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Excuse my expression but,

$3000 for a rebuilt 6th Gen VQ35 engine????????

Helllll no!

I got a buddy that paid $800 for a VQ35 with 70k miles and I know you can do better on the mileage than that!

Shop around!
I agree, a guy in tampa was selling one locally for $800 with 30k miles...
Def shop around.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Lol that shop is trying to rip you..

And I think he ment "oil" comsumption. The keys are right next to each other.

Last edited by klemenz; 03-02-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM

LoL I meant oil. I've been adding a quart of oil every 1200 miles for the past 3 month (twice). I know the owner may have sounded a bit biased, but he wasn't. I told him that I saw some on car-parts for around $800, and he said that would be a good alternative. Moreover, he recommended a salvage yard close by that I could check and see if a low mileage one was available, and they could pick it up at no extra cost. He's a good friend of my dad. The actually mechanic said he was surprised my car wasn't shaking or misfiring and it was very smooth sounding to him. He said headers wouldn't be a good idea with the engine's poor compression. The car doesn't have the passing power it used too. I also notice some white smoke on start up for like 5 seconds max in the morning. I'm thinking that I should just order the headers when they're available and when the car is more symptomatic, I can buy the engine then. Kill two birds with one stone. The car is still quick though. That's why I was even more surprised at how bad the compression was.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Friend or no friend, that mechanic is not being honest. I still have not read anything that would lead me to believe the engine would have to be replaced.

White smoke at start-up is not so much a concern as that is probably just water condensation in the exhaust burning off.

Is the engine knocking or anything?

Get a second opinion and tell the second guy noting of what the first guy told you. Just go in there and give them the symptoms.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
aka The Doom Ship

So adding a quart of oil every 1200 miles is not an indicator?
Originally Posted by bcampbe7
Friend or no friend, that mechanic is not being honest. I still have not read anything that would lead me to believe the engine would have to be replaced.

White smoke at start-up is not so much a concern as that is probably just water condensation in the exhaust burning off.

Is the engine knocking or anything?

Get a second opinion and tell the second guy noting of what the first guy told you. Just go in there and give them the symptoms.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Oil consumption is not a good indicator of overall engine health. I would personall drive it until it puttered to a hault, but that is just me. Do you notice any major mpg difference? If not, just drive it...unless you plan on making it a race machine. In that case you should rebuild anyway.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM

If u need to have the engine replaced then why dont u just take it to a nissan dealership and trade it in for another max? or maybe a g35? most of the time they dont even test drive the car..just give it a visual inspection... thats what i would do...why go thru all the hassle
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM

The only problem about trading it in for a new max at the dealership is that my CEL stays on even after it's been cleared. I also watched the guy do the compression test. He rested each bank twice. I watched him with the meter. My mpg is 18.3. I plan on managing it for now. I bought this car last year with 88K miles on it for about $11K. It had a clean car fax title.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
The only problem about trading it in for a new max at the dealership is that my CEL stays on even after it's been cleared. I also watched the guy do the compression test. He rested each bank twice. I watched him with the meter. My mpg is 18.3. I plan on managing it for now. I bought this car last year with 88K miles on it for about $11K. It had a clean car fax title.
Well as long as you trade it in at a Nissan dealership its shouldnt matter about the CEL. Its a 2005 and they have no idea that your engine needs replacement. It's not like they check with the service department before you make a deal. I took in my 2001 Celica to the dealership for a trade when I hit 200K, it had lots of problems, check engine light, power window didnt work, trunk didnt open etc, they saw all that but I just argued with them that it would be so much cheaper for them to repair it at cost then for me to sell privately. I just lied to them and said the CEL comes on if the gas cap is not cleaned properly...ended up getting 7 grand for it and my max was 15
Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 AM

This blows! I had Bern reporting how I had been having increased oil consumption and now a leak with my maxima. I had the timing chain tensioners replaced. I currently have problems with my precat and was going to order the cattman headers. Took my car for a compression test today and it failed horribly. 120 psi on 4 banks and 80 and 90 psi on bank 4 and 6. The standard is 185 psi and 142 is the minimum. They did say my pol leak is due to the oil pressure switch. Getting that fixed now. Guess I have to buy a low mileage engine. A rebuilt one is $3k. Labor is about $1k. I'll have to get the cattman headers too as it would be the best time to install them. So much for saving up for a place.
He said in the original post that the oil consumption was due to a faulty oil pressure switch. Sounds like he kept tabs on it and didn't run the car with no oil.

I had a Land Rover with a leaking oil pressure switch. Those things can leak pretty badly. It was a fairly easy thing to replace on the Land Rover, not sure about the maxima.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM

if he ran the car wit no oil he wouldve blown the bearings first. did he jus do a comp. test? ask for cylinder leakage too. It will determine where the loss is. it sounds like a head gasket cuz u said its consuming oil so u would get bubbles in the radiator n maybe a hissin noise threw the oil filler cap. We're in a recession, he might wanna bang u for ur bucks. water in the exhaust wouldnt cause the white smoke, it would jus evaporate now radiator fluid will def. cause the white smoke.

Last edited by tOpDoLLa; 03-03-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:06 PM

I purchased my 05 in august and I've already had an engine replaced. I took it in because it was making that "whining" noise so I thought it would be the tensioners. Fortunately it was under warranty so it didn't cost me but $50 for a new engine. I've also already taken it in because a hose burst, even though that's pretty minor. I still have some weird noises coming from the car that I have to get checked out this weekend. I love maximas, but this dam car is driving me crazy.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by tOpDoLLa
if he ran the car wit no oil he wouldve blown the bearings first. did he jus do a comp. test? ask for cylinder leakage too. It will determine where the loss is. it sounds like a head gasket cuz u said its consuming oil so u would get bubbles in the radiator n maybe a hissin noise threw the oil filler cap. We're in a recession, he might wanna bang u for ur bucks. water in the exhaust wouldnt cause the white smoke, it would jus evaporate now radiator fluid will def. cause the white smoke.
Yeah. It was just a compression test. I was going by what Brian at Cattman recommended. Trading it in for another max doesn't seem so bad. It's just that I already have magnaflow mufflers, y-pipe, UDP, Viper alarm with remote start, kyb GR2s w H&Rs on there. I don't have the stock replacement for the y-pipe n mufflers.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM

dude thats expensive, i just found in Rhode Island a 05 Max engine with 32,000miles and asking for $600, i dont know where your from, maybe you can work something out with him: http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/1055490072.html
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by blaxima06
dude thats expensive, i just found in Rhode Island a 05 Max engine with 32,000miles and asking for $600, i dont know where your from, maybe you can work something out with him: http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/1055490072.html
That's not bad at all. I'll call to see if he has the upper intake manifold as well. Trading the car for another max isn't an option for me at this point. I would lose too much money on the car in addition to the hassle of switching parts

Last edited by athlon omega; 03-04-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM

Listen to what the guys here are saying... I know you trust your "friend", however it does not hurt to get a second opinion on this.

Oil consumption could be a variety of things. As for the compression test, get another one done... buy a different person with different equipment.

Something doesn't make sense here. Your MPG is 18.3... better than what I get in the city, (assuming you drive mostly city). Car runs fine, and drives fine. Moreover, white smoke on start up indicates coolant in your cylinders... Headgasket... this is probably the reason why your compression is low.

Do a leak down test. Don't be stubborn about your "friend".
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fiddy Yen
Listen to what the guys here are saying... I know you trust your "friend", however it does not hurt to get a second opinion on this.

Oil consumption could be a variety of things. As for the compression test, get another one done... buy a different person with different equipment.

Something doesn't make sense here. Your MPG is 18.3... better than what I get in the city, (assuming you drive mostly city). Car runs fine, and drives fine. Moreover, white smoke on start up indicates coolant in your cylinders... Headgasket... this is probably the reason why your compression is low.

Do a leak down test. Don't be stubborn about your "friend".
The engine compression test alone was $225. That was the cheapest of three places I asked. Pepboys wanted $430 for an engine compression test with oil leak test($34.95), and another mechanic who my dad also knows wanted $240 for the compression test. I did notice when they tested the 4th cylinder, the car had a slower crank to it. If I remember correctly, the mechanic who checked my compression said the gasket was fine. I don't remember if it was the head gasket per se. I can call and ask him about that. This same mechanic said if he were me, he would just drive the car and change the oil every 3000 miles as it was running fine to him. It was the shop owner who told me about a rebuilt engine with brand new components. What is a leak down test? I might try that. Moreover, the mechanic cleaned my EGR valve and said he only saw carbon there, no pieces from the pre-cat. He reset my check engine light, but it still came back on with the same pre-cat and EGR code. I will pursue the leak down test. Hopefully, if my head gasket is the cause and is replaced, my compression should be higher? But 80 psi on 4th cylinder and 90 psi on the 6th is pretty low.

Last edited by athlon omega; 03-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 PM

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/Co...akdowntest.htm

The reason why I think your head gasket and head should be checked is because your compression is so low, and the white smoke. Those two alone tell me that you have coolant going into one of your cylinders causing the white smoke on start up.

compression test doesn't tell you if your engine is hooped or not, it just basically tells you something is wrong.

In terms of money in my opinion (and I emphasize this) I would rather pay for a second opinion to make sure your engine needs to be replaced than paying $3000US on an engine.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/Co...akdowntest.htm

The reason why I think your head gasket and head should be checked is because your compression is so low, and the white smoke. Those two alone tell me that you have coolant going into one of your cylinders causing the white smoke on start up.

compression test doesn't tell you if your engine is hooped or not, it just basically tells you something is wrong.

In terms of money in my opinion (and I emphasize this) I would rather pay for a second opinion to make sure your engine needs to be replaced than paying $3000US on an engine.
Thanks. After reading that, I don't think they disabled the ignition/fuel system. Moreover, is this saying that all the spark plugs need to be removed? The mechanic removed them one at a time when testing them so that all but one cylinder (the cylinder that was being tested) had spark plugs in them. He only cranked once with each cylinder except cylinders 4 and 6 which he did twice. Moreover, he didn't loosen all the spark plugs and turn the engine on for 15 seconds and completely remove them to blow off the carbon which could give a false low reading as noted earlier. After reading this article, I don't believe the test was done properly. I remember seeing him and hearing him say he did the back three cylinders first then the front three cylinders. I got hosed
Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 PM

There ya go. Rule #1 is dont trust anyone. There are far too many people in the world looking for an extra buck, even if they have to kill their brother to get it.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks. After reading that, I don't think they disabled the ignition/fuel system. Moreover, is this saying that all the spark plugs need to be removed? The mechanic removed them one at a time when testing them so that all but one cylinder (the cylinder that was being tested) had spark plugs in them. He only cranked once with each cylinder except cylinders 4 and 6 which he did twice. Moreover, he didn't loosen all the spark plugs and turn the engine on for 15 seconds and completely remove them to blow off the carbon which could give a false low reading as noted earlier. After reading this article, I don't believe the test was done properly. I remember seeing him and hearing him say he did the back three cylinders first then the front three cylinders. I got hosed
Im glad to see I was of help, keep us posted once you get it re-checked.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Drive it
Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 AM

this sounds so familiar to me.

I owned a 2002 altima with a 3.5L 5 sspd before my 05 maxima 6 spd and the alti was drinking oil like yours starting about 100k miles. Come to find out the cat closest to the exhaust manifold had been sucked into the motor over time and scared the walls around the pistons causing low compression and oil consumption.

I had hoped it was a 2002 alti design flaw, but after reading this.....

Thinking i may just blast out the cat closest to my exhaust manifold now. Don't even want to go through that again. 8-(

-low
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM

How could an exhaust manifold "suck up" the internals of the cat...makes no sence to me.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by timbrooks77
How could an exhaust manifold "suck up" the internals of the cat...makes no sence to me.
Precats are very close to the exhaust ports and will get sucked into the heads turning off and on your car as discussed in another thread.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:40 PM

I called and went over to the shop that did it compression test and showed them the article posted by Fiddy Yen. The shop owner said the method that they did on my car was how they normally do their compression test, but noted that they would follow that method the article states when I bring it in next week. They will redo the compression test and leak down test at no extra charge. That's better than nothing. He also agreed with Fiddy Yen that a bad head gasket can cause the white smoke I see on start-up in the mornings and poor compression. He also noted worn rings (oil rings seal or rings around the pistons) can cause poor compression as well. Heck, I might just replaced all the seals and gaskets next week when they open her back up. I also talked to the shop that did a lot of work on my 4th gen before it was killed. They said that the cat problem was very prevalent on Altimas but had never hear of it happening on 6th gen maximas. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 PM

I called and went over to the shop that did it compression test and showed them the article posted by Fiddy Yen. The shop owner said the method that they did on my car was how they normally do their compression test, but noted that they would follow that method the article states when I bring it in next week. They will redo the compression test and leak down test at no extra charge. That's better than nothing. He also agreed with Fiddy Yen that a bad head gasket can cause the white smoke I see on start-up in the mornings and poor compression. He also noted worn rings (oil rings seal or rings around the pistons) can cause poor compression as well. Heck, I might just replaced all the seals and gaskets next week when they open her back up. I also talked to the shop that did a lot of work on my 4th gen before it was killed. They said that the cat problem was very prevalent on Altimas but had never hear of it happening on 6th gen maximas. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help.
Good to see that.

One thing to note however, if your piston rings are the root of your missing oil, your car will be smoking black/grey smoke. I agree that they can cause low compression, but given the facts that you stated previously, piston rings wouldn't be the reason for the low compression.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Good to see that.

One thing to note however, if your piston rings are the root of your missing oil, your car will be smoking black/grey smoke. I agree that they can cause low compression, but given the facts that you stated previously, piston rings wouldn't be the reason for the low compression.
Thanks, Fiddy Yen. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 AM

Update. Well after the oil pressure switch was changed last week, there is no more white smoke on startup 4 days out. I kid you not. I'm still taking it in today if I get out of work early. They were going to do the leak down test and redo the compression test. I was planning on replacing the head gaskets for safe measure. Anything else I should replace? I'm a newbie in this area, so please forgive me if I'm not educated on this issue. I guess my mind was playing tricks on me. The white smoke is still there on morning start up but very minor.

Last edited by athlon omega; 03-10-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 AM

You should never have to replace the headgasket in this thing. There are no head gaskets "aftermarket" for the VQ. They use stock because of the quality. Built to last. As far as compression tests. You will fail the compression test. I base this on all I have read about the G35's and 350Z's. Look it up. Huge lawsuit over the issue right now. I think we should fall into the catagory but only a few of us have oil consumption issues right now. I just switched to 0W40 Mobile 1 and will see if that helps anything. Until I get new pistons and rings. These are a must especially if boosting or spraying. I hope all works out. The oil pressue switch should have been replaced prior to the compression test. I can allmost garentee you will get different results now with the switch changed out. I don't understand how replacing the switch would solve white smoke concidering that's a chemical thing not an electrical or pressure thing. Check your oil cap on the inside to see if you have any white milky residue under the cap. If so you deffinitly have a head gasket leak. Also check the dipstick for any discoloration or oil seperation. You can also go to a smog shop and have your exhaust checked to see if you are burning coolant. A whole lot cheaper route than just having it replaced. The shop doing a compression test will not go that far down the block to do a compression test. As for the cost of the test anything under 400 is a steal.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
You should never have to replace the headgasket in this thing. There are no head gaskets "aftermarket" for the VQ. They use stock because of the quality. Built to last. As far as compression tests. You will fail the compression test. I base this on all I have read about the G35's and 350Z's. Look it up. Huge lawsuit over the issue right now. I think we should fall into the catagory but only a few of us have oil consumption issues right now. I just switched to 0W40 Mobile 1 and will see if that helps anything. Until I get new pistons and rings. These are a must especially if boosting or spraying. I hope all works out. The oil pressue switch should have been replaced prior to the compression test. I can allmost garentee you will get different results now with the switch changed out. I don't understand how replacing the switch would solve white smoke concidering that's a chemical thing not an electrical or pressure thing. Check your oil cap on the inside to see if you have any white milky residue under the cap. If so you deffinitly have a head gasket leak. Also check the dipstick for any discoloration or oil seperation. You can also go to a smog shop and have your exhaust checked to see if you are burning coolant. A whole lot cheaper route than just having it replaced. The shop doing a compression test will not go that far down the block to do a compression test. As for the cost of the test anything under 400 is a steal.
Thanks, po8pimp! I checked under the oil cap and didn't see any milky residue. No oil separation or discoloration on the dip stick. You do raise a very good point about the compression test and oil pressure switch. I don't know how they work but can see how if the switch was bad then a poor compression could result. I'll try to have the exhaust checked out later this month. I was planning on takig the car back for a compression test this Saturday since I'm off to take them up on their offer. If they aren't able to do it then, I'll have to reschedule it for later this month. I have a major 2 day medical board exam coming up on the third week, so I'll be more free after that time.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Where's Turbizzy? He's the tech who was saying only to 350z's have oil consumption issues..
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jtjohns
I purchased my 05 in august and I've already had an engine replaced. I took it in because it was making that "whining" noise so I thought it would be the tensioners. Fortunately it was under warranty so it didn't cost me but $50 for a new engine. I've also already taken it in because a hose burst, even though that's pretty minor. I still have some weird noises coming from the car that I have to get checked out this weekend. I love maximas, but this dam car is driving me crazy.

So what was it that was causing the whining? Why did the replace it? I have the same whining on mine at 81k. I have the extended warranty but i hate fighting the dealership b/c they turn a blind eye. How did you manage it?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
The original VQ...

Yikes I thought they fixed the oil buring on the 6thgen, my 5th started to burn a bit after about 120k...

sad...

On another note you can find a low milgae engine for 600-900..
And about 1000$ for labor isnt a bad price to be honest....

and find a used set of cattmans or hotshots and youll be all set.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 AM

just spend the $1600 and have them put new pistons and rings in. Do a search for oil burning issues with 350z's and see what they are doing to fix the issue.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by rich2342
Where's Turbizzy? He's the tech who was saying only to 350z's have oil consumption issues..
It's all 06 mt 350z/g35's and most 05's that come with the Rev-Up motor, they changed piston ring designs & they are flawed, THAT is what the lawsuit is over. Completely different animal. I rebuilt one of those engines over a year ago w/18k on it & he has since put another 40k with no issues using maxima rings.

on the pre-cat, allblackmax96 just bought a motor off of me for his 5.5 gen, under 3k miles for $750, his rear pre-cat rattles upon decel, his oil consumption is >than 1qt/1k miles, his car is also an absolute dog until it warms up (ultra low compression until pistons expand). It's costing him $750 for the motor, $350 for the new obx headers, $750 + his old motor to put it in, $100 for the clutch from that 350z revup I rebuilt, & another $100 for revup rodbolts & the gaskets to do them, plus about $200 in misc parts.

If you add that all up, it's not TOOO far off from what you got, granted he's more of a friend now, but ignore all the people bashing the shop, 90% of those people couldn't even begin to swap an engine over. Also, keep in mind that 6th gens are more crammed & suck. Those prices are good & considering he is already standing behind the compression test I'd go there. FYI if you're seeing 120 getting the cranking rpm's up really isn't going to help.

Quick Reply: My engine has to be replaced!